Could use an programming API for Nikon Cameras

Started Apr 25, 2013 | Discussions
vFunct
Regular MemberPosts: 431Gear list
Like?
Could use an programming API for Nikon Cameras
Apr 25, 2013

I could really, really use a programming API for these Nikon cameras so that our photographers can  upload photos from the field directly to our CMS for publishing purposes, while at the same time adjusting/cropping/rotating/keywording these images.

Does anyone think Nikon will enable an open programming API for their cameras?  Need to be able to do this so that our photographers have a much easier publishing workflow.

inasir1971
Senior MemberPosts: 3,117Gear list
Like?
Re: Could use an programming API for Nikon Cameras
In reply to vFunct, Apr 25, 2013
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
vFunct
Regular MemberPosts: 431Gear list
Like?
In reply to inasir1971, Apr 25, 2013

These don't look like in-camera APIs, but APIs for your computer to either control the cameras remotely or process raw images.

I need something on the camera itself.

Per Baekgaard
Contributing MemberPosts: 862Gear list
Like?
Don't think that exists...

vFunct wrote:

You mean you want to run something inside the camera itself, on the embedded processor?

I don't think that currently exists. I know there exists some custumized/hacked firmware for a few non-Nikon cameras, but I haven't seen anything running on top or inside the Nikon DSLR cameras.

A possible alternative might be to use a portable device to grab the images from the camera via USB or WiFi (either Nikons WiFi or something like the EyeFi cards) and then send those off to your CMS in whatever way you want.

The portable device could be a tablet or a phone.

Or you could wait till the DSLR cameras also run Android

Per Baekgaard's gear list:Per Baekgaard's gear list
Nikon D70 Nikon D200 Nikon D300 Nikon D800 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR +14 more
lnaru78
Forum MemberPosts: 62
Like?

Or you can get the D4

nplanet
Forum MemberPosts: 91
Like?
In reply to vFunct, Apr 27, 2013

vFunct wrote:

I could really, really use a programming API for these Nikon cameras so that our photographers can  upload photos from the field directly to our CMS for publishing purposes, while at the same time adjusting/cropping/rotating/keywording these images.

Does anyone think Nikon will enable an open programming API for their cameras?  Need to be able to do this so that our photographers have a much easier publishing workflow.

Will this help: http://nikonrumors.com/2013/04/14/nikon-sdk-c-wrapper-library.aspx/

inasir1971
Senior MemberPosts: 3,117Gear list
Like?
In reply to vFunct, Apr 27, 2013

vFunct wrote:

These don't look like in-camera APIs, but APIs for your computer to either control the cameras remotely or process raw images.

Oh, something on the camera itself might be a problem. There are a lot of trade secrets in the firmware (AF algorithms etc.) - probably why firmware is encrypted.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads