Which speed card for D7100?

Started Apr 25, 2013 | Discussions
Shop cameras & lenses ▾
Thomas Milner Junior Member • Posts: 26
Which speed card for D7100?

in the market to purchase some sd cards for my D7100 before a trip to England .

I don't shoot in bursts normally. My subjects are typically landscapes and travel city shots.  Occasionally I will bracket 5 shots for HDR work.  i also may occasionally film short sequences, but not very long takes.

Based upon type of shooting , what speed cards do I need?

Nikon D7100
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
stevehughes
stevehughes Regular Member • Posts: 434
Re: Which speed card for D7100?

Hi Thomas,

As far as I can see the card write speed is only important when you are firing bursts.

I got the 95M/s cards because the cost of them will probably be spread across the life of the camera, so really its not a big deal.

With the new cards I can fill the buffer with a burst and it will clear in a second or two.  I tried the old 2G SD cards out of my D50 and it took nearly a minute to clear !

I don't think write speed is an issue for video although that's just from what I have heard. I haven't got around to trying video on mine yet.

-- hide signature --

Best regards,
Steve

stevehughes's gear list:stevehughes's gear list
Nikon D7100 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 16-85mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 10-24mm f/3-5-4.5G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 85mm f/1.8G +3 more
Mako2011
Mako2011 MOD Forum Pro • Posts: 19,987

Thomas Milner wrote:

I don't shoot in bursts normally. My subjects are typically landscapes and travel city shots.  Occasionally I will bracket 5 shots for HDR work.  i also may occasionally film short sequences, but not very long takes.

Any good class 10 card or faster will serve your purposes well.

-- hide signature --

My opinions are my own and not those of DPR or its administration. They carry no 'special' value (except to me and Lacie of course)

Thomas Milner OP Junior Member • Posts: 26

thanks for the advice.  I'll go for the class 10 cards.

slowhand73
slowhand73 Regular Member • Posts: 165

Thomas Milner wrote:

thanks for the advice.  I'll go for the class 10 cards.

Good choice, but no need to buy the most expensive/fastest ones.

slowhand73's gear list:slowhand73's gear list
Fujifilm X-T1 Samyang 8mm F2.8 UMC Fisheye Fujifilm XF 27mm F2.8 Fujifilm X-M1 Fujifilm XF 18mm F2 R +3 more
trespassing Regular Member • Posts: 166

Thomas Milner wrote:

For videoing and just general shooting the 30mb/s cards will be about okay.  If you head anywhere where you will want to do bursts 45mb/s or 95mb/s will be better for write speed.  Be sure to take a few smaller cards rather than one large one just incase one becomes misplaced.  It happens!

Have a great time, the weather is just picking up over here!

-- hide signature --

Matt

six34sigma
six34sigma Senior Member • Posts: 1,822

Thomas Milner wrote:

I use class 10 45mb/s cards, sandisk in particular and get 5 images before a slow down On D7100. Had asked question and people using 95 mb/s claim 7 images before a slowdown,  Suggest you get class 10 45 mb/s cards to get your HDR burst. The 95s are still a bit expensive, Make sure the brand is good, mine are 32 gb and say they can hold 594 images of 14 bit RAW. Have fun in England.

-- hide signature --

Regards,
Sanjay

six34sigma's gear list:six34sigma's gear list
Nikon D7100 Nikon D750 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 16-85mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-120mm f/4G ED VR Nikon D90 +6 more
six34sigma
six34sigma Senior Member • Posts: 1,822

One more item 30,s may give you similar 5 shot burst or may not. Somebody should give you brand before you struggle in England.

-- hide signature --

Regards,
Sanjay

six34sigma's gear list:six34sigma's gear list
Nikon D7100 Nikon D750 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 16-85mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-120mm f/4G ED VR Nikon D90 +6 more
trespassing Regular Member • Posts: 166

trespassing wrote:

Thomas Milner wrote:

For videoing and just general shooting the 30mb/s cards will be about okay.  If you head anywhere where you will want to do bursts 45mb/s or 95mb/s will be better for write speed.  Be sure to take a few smaller cards rather than one large one just incase one becomes misplaced.  It happens!

Have a great time, the weather is just picking up over here!

-- hide signature --

Matt

Oh, one more thing.  Make sure you have than you need - decent cards here on the high street will set you back twice or three times as much as the US price

-- hide signature --

Matt

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads