Lee holder filter slipping problem

Started Apr 24, 2013 | Discussions
wilderness shooter
New MemberPosts: 4
Like?
Lee holder filter slipping problem
Apr 24, 2013

Hi all,

I went with a Lee holder system, but had a bad experience. Any thoughts on what I should ask of Lee?

I bought a Lee square CPL, but yesterday, while shooting on a tripod, with little wind, without touching the rig, and without vibration or bumping, the polarizer just slid out of the holder and broke on the ground.

The plastic in the holder fins doesn't seem to hold like it used to, even though its not very old (less than 3 months--with really not that much use). The screws holding the fins in place are properly installed and torqued--it's the plastic.

If that happens and could happen again, maybe it's just a bad system.

I wrote Lee USA and they said sorry. Can't replace filter, but will sell me another at a deep discount and then include a couple of new slots. Sounds like they won't even replace the slots unless I buy a new filter from them.

I'd rather get satisfaction from them then be unhappy with it and publicize a bad experience overall.

Any thoughts?

splbound
Junior MemberPosts: 28
Like?
Re: Lee holder filter slipping problem
In reply to wilderness shooter, Apr 25, 2013

I don't have the same problem yet with my 4x4 cpl as my lee holder is still tight.

I now use the "screw fix" on the holder so the screws stop the cpl from slipping down when using the CPL in the first slot (closest to the lens) which is where I usually would have it. If I have my big stopper in at the same time I adjust the screws to also cover the 2nd slot.
A bit fiddly but the time and cost to acquire a replacement is worth the extra time it takes to set up.

Unsure if I can post a link directly to the thread for the workaround on the POTN forum, but googling "lee 4x4 cpl slipping" should get you to the right place.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
wilderness shooter
Like?
In reply to splbound, Apr 29, 2013

Thanks for your thoughts. Seems to me that tightening and backing out screws is a lot of work each time one stacks/un-stacks filters. Also seems then like their system just doesn't really work well, which is disappointing, especially given the cost.

My holder was brand new. Do you think Lee ought to replace the broken filter?

splbound
Like?
In reply to wilderness shooter, Apr 30, 2013

You will have to fight it out with Lee.

Personally, I would expect the holder at minimum to hold the filters under gravity, that's its job. It could also possibly be differing manufacturer tolerances or design changes in the holders throughout the years that may cause some variance.

They need to design the holder with some soft of friction plate\teeth that adjust by a screw on the side of the filter holders lock them in place.

I guess you can stick a wad of blu tac or some creative use of duck tape to keep things from falling.

It sucks but, there isn't much other choice in holders available.

splbound
Like?
In reply to splbound, Apr 30, 2013

One more idea is to tape\duck tape the sides of the 4x4 CPL to add thickness to for the holder to grip better to it.

acipriano
Regular MemberPosts: 431
Like?
In reply to wilderness shooter, May 6, 2013

I use Lee filters but use them in a Cokin holder.  No problems so far...

wilderness shooter
Like?
In reply to splbound, May 19, 2013

Thickening the filter would blow out the slot and make it so the filter would always have to be in that slot (I use poly NDs and these always have to be behind the CPL, so I move the CPL accordingly). Think I'll pursue an "extra screw" solution! Thanks for the thoughts.

wilderness shooter
Like?
In reply to acipriano, May 19, 2013

Well, I had to push back on their first offer, but Lee USA came through with a good response. 1+ for that. I'll be adding some kind of safety to prevent another slip. Can't help but think there's an elegant and effective solution to pretty much every aspect of the holder design situation. Thanks for all the input.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads