OM lenses to Micro 4/3

Started Apr 24, 2013 | Discussions
Regular MemberPosts: 314Gear list
Like?
OM lenses to Micro 4/3
Apr 24, 2013

Hello

Does anyone have an experience with adapting OM legacy lenses to the M4/3 format ? I have done it for the Olympus 4/3 Dslr with success but when I see the "huge" width of the adapters compared to those for the 4/3 I wonder if such a distance between lens and sensor might affect the results.

108's gear list:108's gear list
Olympus E-520 Olympus E-620 Olympus PEN E-PL2 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH +5 more
RomanB
Contributing MemberPosts: 952Gear list
Like?
Re: OM lenses to Micro 4/3
In reply to 108, Apr 24, 2013

108 wrote:

Hello

Does anyone have an experience with adapting OM legacy lenses to the M4/3 format ? I have done it for the Olympus 4/3 Dslr with success but when I see the "huge" width of the adapters compared to those for the 4/3 I wonder if such a distance between lens and sensor might affect the results.

Yes, I've used OM lenses with m43 cameras.

Adapter length is defined by flange focal distance, for OM it's 46mm. These adapters don't have optics so the results are not affected.

OM adapters are relatively large, there are SLR formats for which adapters are 3-4mm shorter. However, OM lenses are often smaller than other brands' SLR lenses of similar specs. There are good buys among MF lenses of many brands, you don't need to lock yourself into one, almost all are adaptable to m43.

-- hide signature --
 RomanB's gear list:RomanB's gear list
Olympus PEN E-P1 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R +8 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
lambert4
Senior MemberPosts: 1,349Gear list
Like?

I have had great success with the OM lens on my micro four thirds bodies.  There is a miss on the infinity focus being that it is slightly short of the barrel rings infinity, but negligible.  It could be my adapter as well, a Fotasy version.  The only other shortcoming is the CA is quite apparent high right light on my Olympus body, not sure if the corrections in a Pnanasonic body would negate this or not.

All of that being said I love the manual focus lens on the bodies and have purchased and anxiously await a Nikon adapter and lens now to further compliment the system.

you can see a few images on my Flickr thread or on the group on Flickr micro four thirdsLegacy lens alternative lens

-- hide signature --

Here's to learning something new everyday, and remembering it the next.

lambert4's gear list:lambert4's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5
Kleeks13
Regular MemberPosts: 305
Like?
In reply to RomanB, Apr 24, 2013

roman:  and what's your experiences with 4/3 lenses (especially the 50mm) with the micro 4/3 OMD body?  I'm very interested as the "4/3 to micro 4/3 adapter" is a rebate special for us new OMD owners.

-- hide signature --

Kleeks
"a weed is just a plant in the wrong place."

Bassam Guy
Regular MemberPosts: 183
Like?
In reply to lambert4, Apr 24, 2013

I have bundles of great OM Zuiko glass left over from the film era and used it with my E-PM1.

They all produce fantastic results - but focusing is a bit awkward on the PM1.

I just bought a E-PL5 which is better for manual focusing but not perfect.

The most useful OM lenses are my 50mm f1.4, giving me effective 100mm f1.4 and another 50, the 3.5 macro.

ALSO, make sure you have the latest firmware for you camera. Last night I installed a new FW for my PL5 that has a fix for exposure issues with non-4/3 lenses.

Oh yes, the distance scales on the OM lenses will be incorrect and like stated above, infinity is not where you think it is!

Art_P
Veteran MemberPosts: 9,125Gear list
Like?
The distance is constant

The adapter makes up the difference between the film to flange distance on an OM body and sensor to flange distance on an M43 body.  With the adapter, the lens to sensor/film distance is the same.  With 4/3, you had a fairly small adapter because there wasn't that much difference between OM and 4/3.

I haven't bought a dedicated OM to n43 adapter yet, I'm still piggybacking an OM - 4/3 adapter on a 4/3 - m43 adapter.   It works because the correct adapter lets the lens focus on the surface of the sensor, don't worry about the size.

-- hide signature --

Art P
"I am a creature of contrast,
of light and shadow.
I live where the two play together,
I thrive on the conflict"

Art_P's gear list:Art_P's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 +2 more
davestravelgear
Contributing MemberPosts: 506Gear list
Like?

I've added many old manual lenses to my collection since acquiring my E-M5 3 months ago (probably too many) and my favorites are all OM's, 28mm f2.8, 50mm f1.8 and 50mm f3.5 Macro.

There is something about the build quality that makes you want to caress them, and even though the adapter makes them longer, they are still very manageable and one hell of a lot of fun to use

I love the way you can set up the E-M5 to zoom in on your subject (up to 14x) with the Fn2 custom button to nail the focus, and the OM's can give you some smooth backgrounds to boot!

Here's mine with the 50mm f1.8 fitted;

davestravelgear's gear list:davestravelgear's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix HS10 Fujifilm FinePix F550 EXR Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 100-300mm F4-5.6 OIS Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R +1 more
OM User
Regular MemberPosts: 256Gear list
Like?

M43 lenses appear to be very thin and long to soemone used to regular OM Zuiko manual lenses.

The thinness is just down to aperture as most M43 lenses let in less light than their 35mm equivalents (as a general rule).

But put the squat looking OM 50mm F1.2 (or F1.4/F1.8) on the adapter and its pretty close in length to the M43 12-50mm kit zoom. For any OM manual lens try measuring from the main objective lens to the film plane for your OM camera and then measure the main objective lens to the sensor plane wjne mounted via the adapter to a M43 camera. They will be identical. In practice the second measurement will be fractions of a millimeter shorter to ensure the lens can reach inifinity focus (the reason the inifinity mark does not always line up).

OM User's gear list:OM User's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 75-300mm 1:4.8-6.7 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12mm 1:2 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12-50mm 1:3.5-6.3 EZ +4 more
Like?
In reply to lambert4, Apr 24, 2013

Thanks for the link. Great pictures. A bit too bad a lot of them don't mention the lens type.

Olympus E-520 Olympus E-620 Olympus PEN E-PL2 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH +5 more
Like?
In reply to davestravelgear, Apr 24, 2013

Yes the 50 mm f1.8 is an awesome lens. I like it better than the 1.4.

Like?
In reply to OM User, Apr 24, 2013

Thanks to you and to all the others for the explanations.

amipal
Regular MemberPosts: 299Gear list
Like?

My dad says he has an OM-10 at home somewhere with a couple of lenses and a flash, so I'm quite interested in doing this myself. Saying that, I've dug around at my parent's house - can I find it? Nope.

amipal's gear list:amipal's gear list
Olympus PEN E-PL1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH3 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH +5 more
Kleeks13
Regular MemberPosts: 305
Like?
In reply to amipal, Apr 25, 2013

OMG....I collect old Olympus Pen cameras and I think an Olympus OM came with it one of my purchases along with the  50 lens!!!!....Off to the storage closet to check.  Thanks for all the great information!!!!!  Plus the adatper is a rebate offer for us newbie OMD owners!!!!

-- hide signature --

Kleeks
"a weed is just a plant in the wrong place."

davestravelgear
Contributing MemberPosts: 506Gear list
Like?
In reply to 108, Apr 25, 2013

108 wrote:

Yes the 50 mm f1.8 is an awesome lens. I like it better than the 1.4.

I recently acquired an OM 50mm f1.4 very cheaply and it is very soft wide open, but things soon become better around f2-4.

davestravelgear's gear list:davestravelgear's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix HS10 Fujifilm FinePix F550 EXR Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 100-300mm F4-5.6 OIS Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R +1 more
RomanB
Contributing MemberPosts: 952Gear list
Like?
In reply to Kleeks13, Apr 26, 2013

Kleeks13 wrote:

roman:  and what's your experiences with 4/3 lenses (especially the 50mm) with the micro 4/3 OMD body?  I'm very interested as the "4/3 to micro 4/3 adapter" is a rebate special for us new OMD owners.

Sorry, I haven't owned any 4/3 lenses. Frankly, I never considered them. Reportedly, AF is not the fastest on m43 and they are larger than native m43 lenses. Comparing to manual focus they are more expensive (adapters are more expensive too).

So I stick with some native lenses (some great buys here btw, like 45/1.8) and some MF lenses (most of them are Canon FD)

-- hide signature --
 RomanB's gear list:RomanB's gear list
Olympus PEN E-P1 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R +8 more
hindesite
Senior MemberPosts: 1,299
Like?
Adapter is one of the simplest
In reply to 108, Apr 26, 2013

The OM>m4/3 adapter is one of the most reliable, as it has no moving parts (release is on the OM lens) and the system was never hacked around like m42 was so there don't seem to ever be any compatibility issues.

-- hide signature --
robonrome
Senior MemberPosts: 1,301Gear list
Like?
In reply to amipal, Apr 26, 2013

amipal wrote:

My dad says he has an OM-10 at home somewhere with a couple of lenses and a flash, so I'm quite interested in doing this myself. Saying that, I've dug around at my parent's house - can I find it? Nope.

maybe its with mine... went looking for my old om10 and zuiko 135 when i got into m43 and no luck... maybe they go where all the biros go....

robonrome's gear list:robonrome's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark III Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH4
Elix
Regular MemberPosts: 291Gear list
Like?
In reply to robonrome, Apr 26, 2013

robonrome wrote:

amipal wrote:

maybe its with mine... went looking for my old om10 and zuiko 135 when i got into m43 and no luck... maybe they go where all the biros go....

My dad gave his OM-10 to my sister's boyfriend, that is a photographer.., Check if you have any sister.

Elix's gear list:Elix's gear list
Sony RX100 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus E-M1 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 Panasonic Leica Summilux DG 25mm F1.4 +3 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads