How was this lit?

Started Apr 24, 2013 | Discussions
Clueless Wanderer
Senior MemberPosts: 1,139Gear list
Like?
Re: My Point Exactly...
In reply to Barrie Davis, May 1, 2013

Barrie Davis wrote:

Clueless Wanderer wrote:

To the others. We ask opinion's on here then weigh up what is said and discuss our thoughts. It is not arrogant to question advice and to build your own opinion. It is sheep like just to take someone's opinion and act upon it. 
Barrie, sorry to inform you but this is a community and not a dictatorship with you in charge.

What's your problem?  Don't you LIKE the authority of a man who's spent every working day for 50 years evaluating lighting set-ups in a studio...?

It was you that asked how the subject was lit. I merely did you the favour of telling you how.

Thanks a bunch! Your "gratitude" for my action leaves me much moved....  !! 

-- hide signature --

Regards,
Baz
:
"Ahh... But the thing is, these guys were no ORDINARY time travellers!"

I never asked how it was lit. You really need to actually read who puts what instead of skim reading whilst preparing your speech.
Well as you keep harping on about 50 years everyday... That explains your lack of diplomacy with people, too long with your head on the job and not 'out in life'   FYI Just cos your doing something for 50 years doesn't mean you were doing it right now does it
....In a fast changing world it easy to become a dinosaur. Every few years that go by your 'experience ' is getting out of date fast The modern world has no place for a pompus arrogant old timer.  ....Just remember you started with the confrontational attitude.   ...Hiding behind your internet connection.

 Clueless Wanderer's gear list:Clueless Wanderer's gear list
Nikon D200 Nikon D700 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 300mm f/4D ED-IF Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II +21 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Clueless Wanderer
Senior MemberPosts: 1,139Gear list
Like?
Re: My Point Exactly...
In reply to drh681, May 1, 2013

drh681 wrote:

Clueless Wanderer wrote:

To the others. We ask opinion's on here then weigh up what is said and discuss our thoughts. It is not arrogant to question advice and to build your own opinion. It is sheep like just to take someone's opinion and act upon it. 
Barrie, sorry to inform you but this is a community and not a dictatorship with you in charge.

Every community has its elders and seasoned professionals.

Mistreating them will neither benefit you nor harm them.

-- hide signature --

Photons by the bag.
Gravitons no longer shipped outside US or Canada
-----.....------
You got a camera, now go out and get a life; or at least a picture of one!

Elders are there to nurture the young and share their wisdom, not jump up on their self proclaimed pedestal to berate and belittle, whilst demanding adoration for doing so. ..Wisdom is measured in degree's of humility. An Elder without humility is just an Old Man who's past his time..

 Clueless Wanderer's gear list:Clueless Wanderer's gear list
Nikon D200 Nikon D700 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 300mm f/4D ED-IF Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II +21 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Barrie Davis
Forum ProPosts: 21,460
Like?
Re: My Point Exactly...
In reply to Clueless Wanderer, May 1, 2013

Clueless Wanderer wrote:

Barrie Davis wrote:

Clueless Wanderer wrote:

To the others. We ask opinion's on here then weigh up what is said and discuss our thoughts. It is not arrogant to question advice and to build your own opinion. It is sheep like just to take someone's opinion and act upon it. 
Barrie, sorry to inform you but this is a community and not a dictatorship with you in charge.

What's your problem?  Don't you LIKE the authority of a man who's spent every working day for 50 years evaluating lighting set-ups in a studio...?

It was you that asked how the subject was lit. I merely did you the favour of telling you how.

Thanks a bunch! Your "gratitude" for my action leaves me much moved....  !! 

-- hide signature --

Regards,
Baz
:
"Ahh... But the thing is, these guys were no ORDINARY time travellers!"

I never asked how it was lit.

That's right. Your first appearance here was to question every point I made, doing so from a position of ignorance, and so reveal yourself as an absolute know-nothing. You came here to argue and be disruptive, but showed yourself to be truly clueless.

Well as you keep harping on about 50 years everyday... That explains your lack of diplomacy with people, too long with your head on the job and not 'out in life'   FYI Just cos your doing something for 50 years doesn't mean you were doing it right now does it

We can assume my experience is greater than yours, can we not? You are clueless, after all.

....In a fast changing world it easy to become a dinosaur. Every few years that go by your 'experience ' is getting out of date fast The modern world has no place for a pompus arrogant old timer.  ....Just remember you started with the confrontational attitude.   ...Hiding behind your internet connection

Ha! I am not the one "hiding behind an internet connection." That's YOU, the "Clueless Wanderer."

I am here under my own name. I am one of the posters who specifically DOES post under his own name. You can find me in the 'phone book.... complete with the photographic qualifications I hold from the most respected professional organisation in the world.

You should be so lucky to be so much of a "dinosaur" as I am.

-- hide signature --

Regards,
Baz
:
"Ahh... But the thing is, these guys were no ORDINARY time travellers!"

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Fave Photog
Senior MemberPosts: 1,241
Like?
Most Aptly Chosen Username Ever
In reply to Clueless Wanderer, May 1, 2013

Clueless Wanderer wrote:

Clueless drivel

I try to find the good in everybody.  You're a smashing success at choosing usernames.

-- hide signature --

The Five 'Ps' of Photography:
*Proper Planning Prevents Poor Performance!*

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Clueless Wanderer
Senior MemberPosts: 1,139Gear list
Like?
Re: Most Aptly Chosen Username Ever
In reply to Fave Photog, May 1, 2013

Fave Photog wrote:

Clueless Wanderer wrote:

Clueless drivel

I try to find the good in everybody.  You're a smashing success at choosing usernames.

-- hide signature --

The Five 'Ps' of Photography:
*Proper Planning Prevents Poor Performance!*

And here it is BA BOOM!
In an earlier posting I mentioned about how when people on forums want to punch below the belt they resort to attacking punctuation or spelling. I missed one other out. Attacking the username.
To be honest I thought it was going to happen way before now, but kept quiet on that subject to see if it did happen in the end. AND HERE WE ARE
Name calling? Its interesting how something so old can act so child like.. Would you be pulling my hair too if I was within reach?

 Clueless Wanderer's gear list:Clueless Wanderer's gear list
Nikon D200 Nikon D700 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 300mm f/4D ED-IF Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II +21 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
drh681
Forum ProPosts: 11,802
Like?
Re: Most Aptly Chosen Username Ever
In reply to Clueless Wanderer, May 1, 2013

Clueless Wanderer wrote:

Fave Photog wrote:

Clueless Wanderer wrote:

Clueless drivel

I try to find the good in everybody.  You're a smashing success at choosing usernames.

-- hide signature --

The Five 'Ps' of Photography:
*Proper Planning Prevents Poor Performance!*

And here it is BA BOOM!
In an earlier posting I mentioned about how when people on forums want to punch below the belt they resort to attacking punctuation or spelling. I missed one other out. Attacking the username.
To be honest I thought it was going to happen way before now, but kept quiet on that subject to see if it did happen in the end. AND HERE WE ARE
Name calling? Its interesting how something so old can act so child like.. Would you be pulling my hair too if I was within reach?

Why do you thrive on contention?

Is your life so bereft of human interaction that you need to irritate others just to know you can get a response?

I bet you threw a lot of food when you were a younger child.

-- hide signature --

Photons by the bag.
Gravitons no longer shipped outside US or Canada
-----.....------
You got a camera, now go out and get a life; or at least a picture of one!

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Clueless Wanderer
Senior MemberPosts: 1,139Gear list
Like?
Re: Most Aptly Chosen Username Ever
In reply to drh681, May 2, 2013

drh681 wrote:

Clueless Wanderer wrote:

Fave Photog wrote:

Clueless Wanderer wrote:

Clueless drivel

I try to find the good in everybody.  You're a smashing success at choosing usernames.

-- hide signature --

The Five 'Ps' of Photography:
*Proper Planning Prevents Poor Performance!*

And here it is BA BOOM!
In an earlier posting I mentioned about how when people on forums want to punch below the belt they resort to attacking punctuation or spelling. I missed one other out. Attacking the username.
To be honest I thought it was going to happen way before now, but kept quiet on that subject to see if it did happen in the end. AND HERE WE ARE
Name calling? Its interesting how something so old can act so child like.. Would you be pulling my hair too if I was within reach?

Why do you thrive on contention?

Is your life so bereft of human interaction that you need to irritate others just to know you can get a response?

I bet you threw a lot of food when you were a younger child.

-- hide signature --

Photons by the bag.
Gravitons no longer shipped outside US or Canada
-----.....------
You got a camera, now go out and get a life; or at least a picture of one!

I just came in and offered an opinion. Barrie started the mud slinging and I refused to back away from his arrogant stance. I don't question his credentials as a photographer, just his credentials for being a balanced human being. That attitude of "If you don't agree with me, your against me" Is the Dinosaur I talk of.

 Clueless Wanderer's gear list:Clueless Wanderer's gear list
Nikon D200 Nikon D700 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 300mm f/4D ED-IF Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II +21 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Fave Photog
Senior MemberPosts: 1,241
Like?
Re: Most Aptly Chosen Username Ever
In reply to Clueless Wanderer, May 2, 2013

Clueless Wanderer wrote:

Fave Photog wrote:

Clueless Wanderer wrote:

Clueless drivel

I try to find the good in everybody.  You're a smashing success at choosing usernames.

Its interesting how something so old can act so child like..

Here's a clue, Clueless...I'm not Barrie.  Like I said, the most aptly chosen username ever.

-- hide signature --

The Five 'Ps' of Photography:
*Proper Planning Prevents Poor Performance!*

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Fave Photog
Senior MemberPosts: 1,241
Like?
Re: Most Aptly Chosen Username Ever
In reply to drh681, May 2, 2013

drh681 wrote:

Clueless Wanderer wrote:

Fave Photog wrote:

Clueless Wanderer wrote:

Clueless drivel

I try to find the good in everybody.  You're a smashing success at choosing usernames.

-- hide signature --

The Five 'Ps' of Photography:
*Proper Planning Prevents Poor Performance!*

And here it is BA BOOM!
In an earlier posting I mentioned about how when people on forums want to punch below the belt they resort to attacking punctuation or spelling. I missed one other out. Attacking the username.
To be honest I thought it was going to happen way before now, but kept quiet on that subject to see if it did happen in the end. AND HERE WE ARE
Name calling? Its interesting how something so old can act so child like.. Would you be pulling my hair too if I was within reach?

Why do you thrive on contention?

Is your life so bereft of human interaction that you need to irritate others just to know you can get a response?

I bet you threw a lot of food when you were a younger child.

LOL!  And as an adult, too...assuming it is an adult.

-- hide signature --

The Five 'Ps' of Photography:
*Proper Planning Prevents Poor Performance!*

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Fave Photog
Senior MemberPosts: 1,241
Like?
Re: Most Aptly Chosen Username Ever
In reply to Clueless Wanderer, May 2, 2013

Clueless Wanderer wrote:

drh681 wrote:

Clueless Wanderer wrote:

Fave Photog wrote:

Clueless Wanderer wrote:

Clueless drivel

I try to find the good in everybody.  You're a smashing success at choosing usernames.

-- hide signature --

The Five 'Ps' of Photography:
*Proper Planning Prevents Poor Performance!*

And here it is BA BOOM!
In an earlier posting I mentioned about how when people on forums want to punch below the belt they resort to attacking punctuation or spelling. I missed one other out. Attacking the username.
To be honest I thought it was going to happen way before now, but kept quiet on that subject to see if it did happen in the end. AND HERE WE ARE
Name calling? Its interesting how something so old can act so child like.. Would you be pulling my hair too if I was within reach?

Why do you thrive on contention?

Is your life so bereft of human interaction that you need to irritate others just to know you can get a response?

I bet you threw a lot of food when you were a younger child.

-- hide signature --

Photons by the bag.
Gravitons no longer shipped outside US or Canada
-----.....------
You got a camera, now go out and get a life; or at least a picture of one!

I just came in and offered an opinion. Barrie started the mud slinging and I refused to back away from his arrogant stance. I don't question his credentials as a photographer, just his credentials for being a balanced human being. That attitude of "If you don't agree with me, your against me" Is the Dinosaur I talk of.

Again, Clueless, I'm not Barrie.

-- hide signature --

The Five 'Ps' of Photography:
*Proper Planning Prevents Poor Performance!*

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Clueless Wanderer
Senior MemberPosts: 1,139Gear list
Like?
Re: Most Aptly Chosen Username Ever
In reply to Fave Photog, May 2, 2013

Fave Photog wrote:

Clueless Wanderer wrote:

drh681 wrote:

Clueless Wanderer wrote:

Fave Photog wrote:

Clueless Wanderer wrote:

Clueless drivel

I try to find the good in everybody.  You're a smashing success at choosing usernames.

-- hide signature --

The Five 'Ps' of Photography:
*Proper Planning Prevents Poor Performance!*

And here it is BA BOOM!
In an earlier posting I mentioned about how when people on forums want to punch below the belt they resort to attacking punctuation or spelling. I missed one other out. Attacking the username.
To be honest I thought it was going to happen way before now, but kept quiet on that subject to see if it did happen in the end. AND HERE WE ARE
Name calling? Its interesting how something so old can act so child like.. Would you be pulling my hair too if I was within reach?

Why do you thrive on contention?

Is your life so bereft of human interaction that you need to irritate others just to know you can get a response?

I bet you threw a lot of food when you were a younger child.

-- hide signature --

Photons by the bag.
Gravitons no longer shipped outside US or Canada
-----.....------
You got a camera, now go out and get a life; or at least a picture of one!

I just came in and offered an opinion. Barrie started the mud slinging and I refused to back away from his arrogant stance. I don't question his credentials as a photographer, just his credentials for being a balanced human being. That attitude of "If you don't agree with me, your against me" Is the Dinosaur I talk of.

Again, Clueless, I'm not Barrie.

-- hide signature --

The Five 'Ps' of Photography:
*Proper Planning Prevents Poor Performance!*

I was having a heated discussion with somebody and you came in with a scathe on my username, so I now thought that you and barrie were siding. Lets say me and barrie was having a sword fight. If someone comes along and prods a sword in my side, well then Im going to turn to defend on two fronts. Hence the reply postings to you.
If you wasn't having a prod, then okay, Im sorry. But if you were, you dragged yourself into the discussion.

 Clueless Wanderer's gear list:Clueless Wanderer's gear list
Nikon D200 Nikon D700 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 300mm f/4D ED-IF Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II +21 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Clueless Wanderer
Senior MemberPosts: 1,139Gear list
Like?
Re: Most Aptly Chosen Username Ever
In reply to Fave Photog, May 2, 2013

Fave Photog wrote:

Clueless Wanderer wrote:

Fave Photog wrote:

Clueless Wanderer wrote:

Clueless drivel

I try to find the good in everybody.  You're a smashing success at choosing usernames.

Its interesting how something so old can act so child like..

Here's a clue, Clueless...I'm not Barrie.  Like I said, the most aptly chosen username ever.

-- hide signature --

The Five 'Ps' of Photography:
*Proper Planning Prevents Poor Performance!*

Barrie is a "Everybody worship me". Arrogant but I understand it.
 Where as you..... Your something very different. You have a dig into someones discussion, then ridicule the person for addressing you. Then have another dig and still claim to not be involved. People like you make my skin crawl.. Im not saying that as an attack Just the truth of my feelings..  
Me and Barrie are having a bit of a verbal punch up, where your more of a horrible virus that sneaks in.. >:-(

 Clueless Wanderer's gear list:Clueless Wanderer's gear list
Nikon D200 Nikon D700 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 300mm f/4D ED-IF Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II +21 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
DecibelPhoto
Contributing MemberPosts: 679
Like?
Re: How was this lit?
In reply to 24Peter, May 6, 2013

What?  How are both of you guessing large light sources?  Have you seen how sharp the shadows are?

I've been on plenty of fashion shoots where this look is achieved with a bare reflector held by an assistant just over and to the side of lens.

One light.  Very simple.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
DecibelPhoto
Contributing MemberPosts: 679
Like?
Re: How was this lit?
In reply to Lawrence Keeney, May 6, 2013

that isn't a shadow on her nose, it is just a darkening of skin tone because the angle of that surface is nearly perpendicular to the angle of the light.

When you light with very hard light, and up the contrast, the tonal range is created by the angle of the surfaces to the light source.  This is used frequently in fashion photography.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
DecibelPhoto
Contributing MemberPosts: 679
Like?
Re: How was this lit?
In reply to Clueless Wanderer, May 6, 2013

there is a very simple way they stay so dark... contrast.  This is exactly the look you get when you shoot hard light from camera position and up the contrast in processing.  A Profoto light, with 7 inch reflector, will project a fairly even light pattern over this size area (I've done it plenty of times).  On camera flash typically would have more fall off.

The shadows are certainly untouched, this image does not look like it has been heavily retouched at all.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Barrie Davis
Forum ProPosts: 21,460
Like?
Re: How was this lit?
In reply to DecibelPhoto, May 6, 2013

DecibelPhoto wrote:

that isn't a shadow on her nose, it is just a darkening of skin tone because the angle of that surface is nearly perpendicular to the angle of the light.

When you light with very hard light, and up the contrast, the tonal range is created by the angle of the surfaces to the light source.  This is used frequently in fashion photography.

Yes. We see the effect all the time with ring flash shooting... it makes the models' limbs appear with enhanced roundness, that is, if they are deployed at 90 degrees to the light, and the lens axis. The smaller the light source is, the more steeply gradated and dramatic the edge darkening becomes.

It happens that the glamourising effect of sheer nylon hosiery operates by the same optical principle....

-- hide signature --

Regards,
Baz
:
"Ahh... But the thing is, these guys were no ORDINARY time travellers!"

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Clueless Wanderer
Senior MemberPosts: 1,139Gear list
Like?
Re: How was this lit?
In reply to DecibelPhoto, May 6, 2013

DecibelPhoto wrote:

there is a very simple way they stay so dark... contrast.  This is exactly the look you get when you shoot hard light from camera position and up the contrast in processing.  A Profoto light, with 7 inch reflector, will project a fairly even light pattern over this size area (I've done it plenty of times).  On camera flash typically would have more fall off.

The shadows are certainly untouched, this image does not look like it has been heavily retouched at all.

Is it the upping of the contrast that is giving the skin that effect that I think is from a Beauty dish?

 Clueless Wanderer's gear list:Clueless Wanderer's gear list
Nikon D200 Nikon D700 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 300mm f/4D ED-IF Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II +21 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Zlik
Contributing MemberPosts: 989
Like?
Re: How was this lit?
In reply to Clueless Wanderer, May 6, 2013

Clueless Wanderer wrote:

DecibelPhoto wrote:

there is a very simple way they stay so dark... contrast.  This is exactly the look you get when you shoot hard light from camera position and up the contrast in processing.  A Profoto light, with 7 inch reflector, will project a fairly even light pattern over this size area (I've done it plenty of times).  On camera flash typically would have more fall off.

The shadows are certainly untouched, this image does not look like it has been heavily retouched at all.

Is it the upping of the contrast that is giving the skin that effect that I think is from a Beauty dish?

Check out the hot spots on the skin. It's definitely not a beauty dish, but looks like a small flash above camera left (almost on axis).

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Barrie Davis
Forum ProPosts: 21,460
Like?
You've gotta smile...
In reply to Zlik, May 7, 2013

Zlik wrote:

Clueless Wanderer wrote:

DecibelPhoto wrote:

The shadows are certainly untouched, this image does not look like it has been heavily retouched at all.

Is it the upping of the contrast that is giving the skin that effect that I think is from a Beauty dish?

Check out the hot spots on the skin. It's definitely not a beauty dish, but looks like a small flash above camera left (almost on axis).

Yup! That'd be my guess, too.....[ha ha]  (Sorry... private joke.)

-- hide signature --

Regards,
Baz
:
"Ahh... But the thing is, these guys were no ORDINARY time travellers!"

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
DecibelPhoto
Contributing MemberPosts: 679
Like?
Re: How was this lit?
In reply to Clueless Wanderer, May 8, 2013

Clueless Wanderer wrote:

DecibelPhoto wrote:

there is a very simple way they stay so dark... contrast.  This is exactly the look you get when you shoot hard light from camera position and up the contrast in processing.  A Profoto light, with 7 inch reflector, will project a fairly even light pattern over this size area (I've done it plenty of times).  On camera flash typically would have more fall off.

The shadows are certainly untouched, this image does not look like it has been heavily retouched at all.

Is it the upping of the contrast that is giving the skin that effect that I think is from a Beauty dish?

Yes.  All the tones in the skin are coming from the increased contrast, which is also blocking up the blacks in the shadows.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads