Fast onsite printing for events - shoot and print and email photo

Started Apr 24, 2013 | Discussions
michaelvictor
New MemberPosts: 1
Like?
Fast onsite printing for events - shoot and print and email photo
Apr 24, 2013

Hey folks! I am a pro photographer and starting to get many more requests to shoot and print onsite during events. Basically attendees would line up, shoot to backdrop or green screen and then hand a print in a few under 20 seconds or so... want avoid lines building up. Can anyone recommend ultra high speed, portable printers for this purpose? Also, receiving requests to instantly email to the attendee with a message or post to various social media sites. Any thoughts on the best ways of doing this for fast moving events? Thanks!

Hugowolf
Forum ProPosts: 11,269
Like?
Re: Fast onsite printing for events - shoot and print and email photo
In reply to michaelvictor, Apr 25, 2013

What size prints? Bordered or borderless?

Brian A

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Peter Patricelli
Regular MemberPosts: 317
Like?
Re: Fast onsite printing for events - shoot and print and email photo
In reply to michaelvictor, Apr 25, 2013

If you are used to only shooting for internet/web or small pictures you might not know where the maximum sharpness settings are for your particular camera(s) and lens(es).  If you have been shooting for relatively big enlargements, maybe up to 16 x 20 then you are already aware of what it takes to get the best resolution out of your equipment.

Personally, I don't really feel I KNOW a file/image until I have printed it out large.  If it won't hold up to 16 x 20 then it won't go any bigger (my opinion) and can only do smaller formats.

One assumes that YOU are not doing the printing...or you wouldn't have to ask the question.  Talk to the printing site as to what equip they are using and best resolutions /settings in the file you send them.

You will get various answers as to the issue of "how big can an xxMP file be printed".  My biggest enlargements so far involve a Nikon D2x....12.2 MP file....blown up into 4 16 x 20" panels wide by 3 panels high.....that translates into about 6 1/2 feet wide.  The native print resolution came out to something like 65 ppi.  I was blown away by the resolution/detail and to how well it works as a mural.  In your case, at a wedding, everyone is disposed to be positive, accepting, and gracious, so no one is going to get eyeball to print and register complaints.  Not all cameras and not all pixels are the same so what worked in this case is not a universal limit.

If I KNEW I was shooting for max enlargement then I would stick with my best resolution camera and lens, use a tripod or monpod as much as possible, and fuss over the details of focus, sharpest f-stop for your lens, lowest ISO, etc..  IF you don't know what I am talking about then this is going to be a painful learning curve for you....and maybe your couple.

-- hide signature --

Peter Patricelli
www.flyfishingfotography.com

Peter Patricelli
Regular MemberPosts: 317
Like?
Re: OOPS! posted on wrong thread
In reply to Peter Patricelli, Apr 26, 2013

Wondered where my post went!  This was meant for the thread "NEED HELP.....BIG PRINTS"

Sorry

-- hide signature --

Peter Patricelli
www.flyfishingfotography.com

Hugowolf
Forum ProPosts: 11,269
Like?
Re: OOPS! posted on wrong thread
In reply to Peter Patricelli, Apr 27, 2013

Peter Patricelli wrote:

Wondered where my post went!  This was meant for the thread "NEED HELP.....BIG PRINTS"

It seems not to have mattered Peter. Yet another fly posting. Here today, gone tomorrow.

Brian A

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads