SUCCESS- Printfab and the Epson 3880 prints 17x56 pano

Started Apr 24, 2013 | Discussions
mike clemens
Regular MemberPosts: 118
Like?
SUCCESS- Printfab and the Epson 3880 prints 17x56 pano
Apr 24, 2013

17" x 56" pano from the Epson 3880 done with Printfab drivers onto Epson Exhibition Fiber from a 50 foot roll.

Thanks to everyone who helped me figure out the path to this.

In the end, it was just... 1) install PrintFab, 2) create custom sheet size ( I made the paper size 17"x 60" so I could cut a few inches off each end -- in case the ends scraped ink off some part of the printer.) Next time I will make it even longer by a few inches.

Biggest hassle (only hassle?) is the extreme rolling tendency memorized by the paper. It made the paper hard to feed and generally irritating to deal with. I have to get an unrolling solution.

Also I am used to the Advanced Black and White mode. SO I didn't know what to do in the Printfab driver. I switched the driver to "Gray Photo" and "Glossy/Lustre Paper" and needed to boost brightness by 20% to get close to the "Darker" setting of Advanced Black and White. I put Photoshop in "Printer Manages Colors".

Tom-C
Senior MemberPosts: 1,055Gear list
Like?
Re: SUCCESS- Printfab and the Epson 3880 prints 17x56 pano
In reply to mike clemens, Apr 24, 2013

Great photo. Where is that?

I've suggested Printfab a number of times but you are the first  person to report back with details on how it went. Others will benefit from your experience and detailed instructions.

Why did you say that you would leave a longer margin next time?

Tom

Tom-C's gear list:Tom-C's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark III
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Peter Patricelli
Regular MemberPosts: 327
Like?
In reply to Tom-C, Apr 24, 2013

Tom,

Actually I've reported pretty extensively on my experience with Printfab....especially since I was having lots of problems initially integrating Printfab AND Photomunki systems...and was double-profiling.  But that is really not important....other than others having problems should do a search as there is (or at least should be) quite a lot in the archives on Prtintfab.

BUT....the hopefully NOT million dollar question is.....WHEN THE FREE BETA VERSION SELF DESTRUCTS IN JUNE....WHAT IS IT GONG TO COST US TO CONTINUE/BUY PRINTFAB?

I have a plan "B" but have not unzipped it, and never will, if the price of Printfab is reasonable.

-- hide signature --

Peter Patricelli
www.flyfishingfotography.com

jtoolman
Senior MemberPosts: 4,607
Like?
In reply to Peter Patricelli, Apr 24, 2013

Peter Patricelli wrote:

Tom,

Actually I've reported pretty extensively on my experience with Printfab....especially since I was having lots of problems initially integrating Printfab AND Photomunki systems...and was double-profiling.  But that is really not important....other than others having problems should do a search as there is (or at least should be) quite a lot in the archives on Prtintfab.

BUT....the hopefully NOT million dollar question is.....WHEN THE FREE BETA VERSION SELF DESTRUCTS IN JUNE....WHAT IS IT GONG TO COST US TO CONTINUE/BUY PRINTFAB?

I have a plan "B" but have not unzipped it, and never will, if the price of Printfab is reasonable.

-- hide signature --

Peter Patricelli

Just because I am curious. What is Plan B?

And Print Fab will be way under $100.

xrdbear
xrdbear MOD
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,703
Like?
In reply to Peter Patricelli, Apr 24, 2013

Peter Patricelli wrote:

Tom,

I would imagine it's going to be the same cost as the Mac version unless there is some major difference and that's pretty expensive. At least it supports a wide range of printers unlike buying something like Imageprint.

-- hide signature --

Brian
Fine Art Print sales of the Isle of Skye at:
http://www.eyeofskye.co.uk/

mike clemens
Like?
In reply to xrdbear, Apr 24, 2013

xrdbear wrote:

Peter Patricelli wrote:

Tom,

I would imagine it's going to be the same cost as the Mac version unless there is some major difference and that's pretty expensive. At least it supports a wide range of printers unlike buying something like Imageprint.

-- hide signature --

Brian

Isn't it like $150?

mike clemens
Like?
In reply to Tom-C, Apr 25, 2013

Tom-C wrote:

Great photo. Where is that?

I've suggested Printfab a number of times but you are the first  person to report back with details on how it went. Others will benefit from your experience and detailed instructions.

Why did you say that you would leave a longer margin next time?

Tom

Thanks Tom

That's Denali here in Alaska.

Printfab was great but I haven't been able to get my colors right out of it yet.

The longer ends are because the curl in the paper. You have to manhandle the paper a bit to get it to load, lots of hands/fingers on basically shoving it into the rear feed. Also, when the end of the paper comes out, it has a lot of spring in it from the curl, so it can reach up and touch inked parts of the printer that it shouldn't.

Note... in the end, the end pieces did not get accidentally inked or malformed from handling very much. I still want a little bit more of a leader and trailer to work with though.

BEST PRACTICE - get the dang roll out of the paper with one of those way overpriced derollers.

Peter Patricelli
Like?
In reply to jtoolman, Apr 25, 2013

Plan "B", which I have not un-zipped, is the User Defined Paper Size (UDPS) utility written by Helmar Dahmer:

http://dahmerphotography.blogspot.com/2008/10/user-defined-paper-size-utility-by.html

There was/is(?) an old thread here on this forum about 8 months ago and Helmar sent the latest versions to people who asked...like me....tho I have only cached it away "in case".

Don't tell anyone but PF for $100 would be, to me, a steal for what I can do with it without changing anything.....now that I understand it....somewhat.

-- hide signature --

Peter Patricelli

Peter Patricelli
Like?
In reply to mike clemens, Apr 25, 2013

I have printed with PF to 60", perhaps with thinner paper (Red River UltraPro Gloss) cut from rolls...UN-de-curled, by using the sheet feeder....WITHOUT PROBLEM.  The printing side is on the inside of the curl....considered long-ways....so I let the paper re-roll after cutting carefully square, and feed into the top sheet feeder.  Once started the roll simply sits, as a roll, on top of the printer and self feeds.  I generally print a really long pan at 16" width so I have a 1/2' border to compensate for any feed-skew.  One 60" pan was drifting and threatened to run off and I was able to use gentle tension on the paper and straighten it during the printing.  There have been discussions and pictures of frames/guides in a discussion here about 10 months ago.  Really, it is rare for someone to ask a question about the popular 3880 that hasn't been asked and answered here....so a search of the archives is always a good idea.

Whether this feeding system works with stiffer, heavier paper is something I intend to try.

-- hide signature --

Peter Patricelli

Hugowolf
Forum ProPosts: 11,486
Like?

mike clemens wrote:

The longer ends are because the curl in the paper. You have to manhandle the paper a bit to get it to load, lots of hands/fingers on basically shoving it into the rear feed. Also, when the end of the paper comes out, it has a lot of spring in it from the curl, so it can reach up and touch inked parts of the printer that it shouldn't.

You may want to give the top sheet feeder a try. I know several people that use it for everything, including heavier papers.

I presume that Epson EFF comes in three inch core. Two inch cores should be avoided like the plague.

BEST PRACTICE - get the dang roll out of the paper with one of those way overpriced derollers.

Bienfang D-roller. There used to be three models: 24 inch by 38 inches long, 50 by 38, and 50 by something longer. I have only seen the two 38 inch models recently. So you would be out of luck for a 60 inch print.

I think Joe Toolman was using roller bilnds for decurling, and you should certainly be able to get those in longer lengths.

Brian A

Hugowolf
Like?
In reply to Peter Patricelli, Apr 25, 2013

Peter Patricelli wrote:

The printing side is on the inside of the curl....considered long-ways....

That is considered to be on the outside. It is on the outside of the roll. Same goes for anything that forms a cylinder.

Brian A

Taurus43
Regular MemberPosts: 365
Like?
Re: I didn't think UDPS worked with the 3880......(nt)
No text.
Howard Moftich
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,093
Like?
Re: I didn't think UDPS worked with the 3880......(nt)
In reply to Taurus43, Apr 25, 2013

As I recall, UDPS works *only* w/ Windows driver 5.5 and the 3800

HelmarFoto
Regular MemberPosts: 252Gear list
Like?

Your plan b is only compatible with
Epson 3800.
--
Best regards from Hamburg (GMT+1).
Helmar
http://dahmerphotography.blogspot.com/

HelmarFoto's gear list:HelmarFoto's gear list
Nikon D700 Nikon 1 J1 Fujifilm X-Pro1 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.4G Nikon AF Nikkor 28mm f/2.8D +5 more
Peter Patricelli
Like?
In reply to Hugowolf, Apr 25, 2013

Brian,

You are absolutely right.  I didn't even say it correctly for my own (maybe skewed) way of seeing things.  I just got up and checked the roll and the printing emulsion side comes off the outside of the roll.  Since my printer is sitting up against a wall, one of the reasons I like feeding through the cut sheet feeder, I am thinking of mounting a simple lift-off dowel above it to suspend the "let the paper, cut off the roll, re-roll as it wants" above the printer.  That opens the possibility of guides and even a tension device on one side or another that can straighten a slight skew during printing.

Wow, learned several things today....my plan "B"...Helmar Dahmer's UDPS won't work on the 3880.....so I don't have a plan "B", but I slept better when I thought I did; and that heavier papers might/probably work thru the top sheet feeder....the uncertainty of which was giving me pause in moving in that direction.  THANKS!

This Printers/Printing forum has been a welcome oasis of friendly, competent gentlemen with no (or little) sniping or bickering.  Love it.

-- hide signature --

Peter Patricelli

xrdbear
xrdbear MOD
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,703
Like?

mike clemens wrote:

Isn't it like $150?

About $180 at the moment which I think is fairly expensive depending on what you have to do the job already. I have no need of really long prints so the rest of what it does would have to be pretty fantastic.

-- hide signature --

Brian

Hugowolf
Like?
In reply to xrdbear, Apr 26, 2013

xrdbear wrote:

mike clemens wrote:

Isn't it like $150?

About $180 at the moment which I think is fairly expensive depending on what you have to do the job already. I have no need of really long prints so the rest of what it does would have to be pretty fantastic.

That is incredibly inexpensive compared to the other RIPs out there. Most RIPs cost as much as the printing machine. ColorBurst lowest level RIP is $795 for a 17 inch printer.

Brian A

Howard Moftich
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,093
Like?
In reply to Hugowolf, Apr 26, 2013

and Mirage is about 300 Euros (400 USD)

mike clemens
Like?
In reply to Howard Moftich, Apr 26, 2013

Howard Moftich wrote:

and Mirage is about 300 Euros (400 USD)

I agree, thats why I replied like it was cheap. I do feel nickle and dimed to death though !!!

mike clemens
Like?
In reply to mike clemens, Apr 26, 2013

I printed some sections of this pano at 17x25 and can barely find the pizza wheel tracks in it. On the big pano (on the same paper) I see the wheel tracks and they ...oddly.. wander a bit.

Could this be because I used the Epson driver for the 17x25 and it sets the width/gaps right, but I didnt set any width or gap in the PrintFab?

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads