Potential good news and bad news re Aperture 4

Started Apr 24, 2013 | Discussions
Matt Shelton
Regular MemberPosts: 361Gear list
Like?
Potential good news and bad news re Aperture 4
Apr 24, 2013

in Apple's earnings announcement yesterday, Tim Cook said not to expect any new product announcements until this fall - bad news for those of us looking for Aperture 4 and a new Mac Pro to run it NOW!   But, Tim also stated that Apple has "amazing new hardware and software coming.  Now I know that "software" could be yet another new operating system, but in the context of the statement, I read it as software other than or in addition to OSX and iOS.   Apple's ignored quite a bit of its software for awhile.  Hopefully this is a good sign.

Matt Shelton's gear list:Matt Shelton's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EF 16-35mm f/2.8L II USM Canon EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro IS USM Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM Canon Extender EF 1.4x III +3 more
afterburn
Contributing MemberPosts: 759Gear list
Like?
Re: Potential good news and bad news re Aperture 4
In reply to Matt Shelton, Apr 24, 2013

Matt Shelton wrote:

in Apple's earnings announcement yesterday, Tim Cook said not to expect any new product announcements until this fall - bad news for those of us looking for Aperture 4 and a new Mac Pro to run it NOW!   But, Tim also stated that Apple has "amazing new hardware and software coming.  Now I know that "software" could be yet another new operating system, but in the context of the statement, I read it as software other than or in addition to OSX and iOS.   Apple's ignored quite a bit of its software for awhile.  Hopefully this is a good sign.

Apple just announced they will demo and provide developer access to iOS7 and and the next version of OS X on WWDC, so much guess is fall will see the release of both.

Of course that doesn't mean there won't be an update for Aperture, but I guess that also depends on how much is going to change in OS X.

-- hide signature --

Gijs from The Netherlands
Nikon D800

afterburn's gear list:afterburn's gear list
Nikon D800 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-120mm f/4G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.8G Apple Aperture +2 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Doug R
Senior MemberPosts: 1,468
Like?

Hopefully Apple is waiting for the Intel Xeon E5 chips in the 3rd quarter. The chip will allow for the high end MacPro to have 2 cpu's with 12 cores each with hypertheading 48 working cores. you'll just have to keep waiting. Save your bucks you'll need them   May even see a $10,000.00 or more MacPro with 4 E5-4600 V2 chips 96 cores of video crunching power.

-- hide signature --

Doug

webfrasse
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,765
Like?

Matt Shelton wrote:

An upgrade is hardly a new product.

-- hide signature --

Mikael

vdubreeze
Senior MemberPosts: 1,160
Like?

Matt Shelton wrote:

But, Tim also stated that Apple has "amazing new hardware and software coming.

I really don't want any amazing anythings.  I do have some things I've love to see from Apple, but if what's coming is amazing then it's not what I was thinking about.

Nikko aus London
Senior MemberPosts: 1,131Gear list
Like?
In reply to Matt Shelton, May 4, 2013

I really don't care about Aperture4 anymore.  Because I upgraded my Aperture3 installation with the Nik plugins suite.  Can't recommend them highly enough.  Just use Aperture for what it's strongest at - cataloging and storage management.  Nik does all the noise reduction, editing and sharpening.  Voila!

Nikko (no relation)

Nikko aus London's gear list:Nikko aus London's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 +5 more
Fotoman53
New MemberPosts: 4Gear list
Like?
In reply to Nikko aus London, May 7, 2013

I would just settle for a RAW compatibility update so I can use my Nikon D7100 with Aperture. Plus I have had a lot of problems with syncs with the last couple version of iTunes. I no longer get the seamless experience.

Fotoman53's gear list:Fotoman53's gear list
Sony RX100 II Nikon D7000 Nikon D7100 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.4G +13 more
SethG
Contributing MemberPosts: 879
Like?
In reply to Fotoman53, May 7, 2013

Fotoman53 wrote:

I would just settle for a RAW compatibility update so I can use my Nikon D7100 with Aperture. Plus I have had a lot of problems with syncs with the last couple version of iTunes. I no longer get the seamless experience.

That will come with the next RAW patch for the OS. Give it a few more weeks.

-- hide signature --

- Seth -

PenFan2011
Regular MemberPosts: 172
Like?
In reply to Matt Shelton, May 7, 2013

Steve was a tad off in his proclamation.  We are at the very beginning of the post-PC era.  We are well into the post-Mac Pro era.  It's practically gone.  All that remains are iOS devices and computers that are, or are variations of, laptop computers in terms of design.

And prepare yourself for Aperture X, the groundbreaking software that dumbs down your editing and is nothing more than a slightly advanced version of iPhoto.  It says a lot for the future of the Aperture software when they have not developed a companion app for it like they did for iPhoto on the iPad.

-- hide signature --

I am far too busy taking pictures to look for problems with the cameras I use to take them.

danieljcox
Regular MemberPosts: 169Gear list
Like?
In reply to PenFan2011, May 7, 2013

I'm confident we'e going to see a major, positive upgrade to Aperture for those of us needing powerful software for image editing, review and archiving. I'm hopeful Aperture X is as unique and forward thinking as the reinvented version of Final Cut Pro X. I've used the old version of Final Cut and the new X version. X is a fabulous upgrade, one that many cine guys and gals dismissed out of hand. Once you try it and see how well it works your negative thoughts are extinguished and you  realize that Apple has always thought outside the box. I'm confident we'll see an equally powerful reinvention of Aperture.

danieljcox's gear list:danieljcox's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ1000 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX1 Nikon D4 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH3 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1 +19 more
noirdesir
Forum ProPosts: 10,970
Like?
In reply to danieljcox, May 7, 2013

danieljcox wrote:

I'm confident we'e going to see a major, positive upgrade to Aperture for those of us needing powerful software for image editing, review and archiving. I'm hopeful Aperture X is as unique and forward thinking as the reinvented version of Final Cut Pro X. I've used the old version of Final Cut and the new X version. X is a fabulous upgrade, one that many cine guys and gals dismissed out of hand. Once you try it and see how well it works your negative thoughts are extinguished and you  realize that Apple has always thought outside the box. I'm confident we'll see an equally powerful reinvention of Aperture.

Since Aperture and iPhoto share the same library format and the same adjustment tools (just that iPhoto doesn't expose all of them), it makes probably sense for Apple to develop a lot of changes in parallel and thus the development schedule for Aperture probably is partially coupled with the development schedule for iPhoto.

That does not mean they will be released together but if iPhoto were to be released with OS X 10.9, a later release of 10.9 (as exactly a year after 10.8) would remove some development pressure on the common parts.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads