Samyang 85/1.4

Started Apr 24, 2013 | Discussions
Arijit Banerjee
Senior MemberPosts: 1,593Gear list
Like?
Samyang 85/1.4
Apr 24, 2013

Since the quest for a Takumar 85mm or anything similar did not prove fruitful and the FA 77 Limited being way beyond my budget, I settled for the Samyang 85. Much too learn but it looks to be a fine bit of glass. Loving the shallow DoF opportunity it presents but not liking the way it seems to show bokeh fringing ( a minor, but irritant nonetheless).

A few test shots.

Do share your experiences. I could do with some tips.

Thanks.

-- hide signature --

Arijit

Arijit Banerjee's gear list:Arijit Banerjee's gear list
Pentax K-x Pentax K-5 Pentax smc DA 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 AL Pentax smc DA 55-300mm F4.0-5.8 ED Pentax smc DA* 300mm F4.0 ED (IF) SDM +3 more
Cosmo Not
Junior MemberPosts: 28
Like?
Re: Samyang 85/1.4
In reply to Arijit Banerjee, Apr 24, 2013

Hello Arijit. I have also been looking to this lens as well. I was wondering if yours has A mode with auto diaphram? I ask because it appears to be branded under a few names and the Bower version is cheaper at $259 and has auto diaphram. I came from a T3i with ML which has peaking so manual lenses have never put me off, but Pentax has CIF as well. Seems like a good system to use MF with.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
pentx4life
Contributing MemberPosts: 530Gear list
Like?

I had this lens for a week, (decentering issues... ) but was way sharper than anything I had seen before... (even compared to WR 1000 2.8 macro).

I highly recommend using a Canon EE-S focusing screen for that lens, as my practical tipp

Best regards,

Kevin

BobORama
Senior MemberPosts: 1,533Gear list
Like?
In reply to pentx4life, Apr 24, 2013

pentx4life wrote:

I had this lens for a week, (decentering issues... ) but was way sharper than anything I had seen before... (even compared to WR 1000 2.8 macro).

The WR 1000 2.8 macro must be terrific!

Cosmo Not
Like?

Thanks for the info Kevin. Did you happen to use/have a centering function on your camera? I'm assuming a FF lens on a crop sensor would allow for a large degree of correction.

Cosmo Not
Like?

Thanks for the info Kevin. Did you happen to use/have a centering function on your camera? I'm assuming a FF lens on a crop sensor would allow for a large degree of correction.

BobORama
Senior MemberPosts: 1,533Gear list
Like?

I like the Samyang from the stand point of edge to edge sharpness at reasonable apertures.   Because of low coma, it was very suitable for far field work ( astro-photography / tele-landscape ) and not as nice as the Tak 1.8/85 for portraiture.  But as a modern lens, I think the Samyang outperforms the Tak in terms of the nisen-bokeh and other aspects where 40 year old glass just can't compete.   This is from the s-m-c Tak 1.8/85 @ 1.8 for comparison

Any lens like this is a compromise, and they two are very different lenses.  The Samyang is a great lens for the price, especially when the Tak is more money and not necessarily better depending on the work being done with it.

Arijit Banerjee
Like?
In reply to Cosmo Not, Apr 25, 2013

Cosmo Not- yes this has the ' A ' Setting. It is just like a Pentax A series lens. Leave it on A and control aperture from the body. Focus confirmation is available in the viewfinder. Early days yet, but it is by all means a good lens.

-- hide signature --

Arijit

Pentax K-x Pentax K-5 Pentax smc DA 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 AL Pentax smc DA 55-300mm F4.0-5.8 ED Pentax smc DA* 300mm F4.0 ED (IF) SDM +3 more
Arijit Banerjee
Like?
Kevin
In reply to pentx4life, Apr 25, 2013

Thanks Kevin. My Kx has a jinfinance 30 dollar screen on it. Not too precise. I shall be investing in a better screen soon.

regards,

-- hide signature --

Arijit

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads