Samyang 85/1.4

Started Apr 24, 2013 | Discussions
Arijit Banerjee
Senior MemberPosts: 1,678Gear list
Like?
Samyang 85/1.4
Apr 24, 2013

Since the quest for a Takumar 85mm or anything similar did not prove fruitful and the FA 77 Limited being way beyond my budget, I settled for the Samyang 85. Much too learn but it looks to be a fine bit of glass. Loving the shallow DoF opportunity it presents but not liking the way it seems to show bokeh fringing ( a minor, but irritant nonetheless).

A few test shots.

Do share your experiences. I could do with some tips.

Thanks.

-- hide signature --

Arijit

Arijit Banerjee's gear list:Arijit Banerjee's gear list
Pentax K-x Pentax K-5 Pentax smc DA 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 AL Pentax smc DA 55-300mm F4.0-5.8 ED Pentax smc DA* 300mm F4.0 ED (IF) SDM +3 more
Cosmo Not
Junior MemberPosts: 28
Like?
Re: Samyang 85/1.4
In reply to Arijit Banerjee, Apr 24, 2013

Hello Arijit. I have also been looking to this lens as well. I was wondering if yours has A mode with auto diaphram? I ask because it appears to be branded under a few names and the Bower version is cheaper at $259 and has auto diaphram. I came from a T3i with ML which has peaking so manual lenses have never put me off, but Pentax has CIF as well. Seems like a good system to use MF with.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
pentx4life
Contributing MemberPosts: 535Gear list
Like?

I had this lens for a week, (decentering issues... ) but was way sharper than anything I had seen before... (even compared to WR 1000 2.8 macro).

I highly recommend using a Canon EE-S focusing screen for that lens, as my practical tipp

Best regards,

Kevin

BobORama
Senior MemberPosts: 1,654Gear list
Like?
In reply to pentx4life, Apr 24, 2013

pentx4life wrote:

I had this lens for a week, (decentering issues... ) but was way sharper than anything I had seen before... (even compared to WR 1000 2.8 macro).

The WR 1000 2.8 macro must be terrific!

BobORama's gear list:BobORama's gear list
Pentax K-5 Sigma 10mm F2.8 EX DC HSM Diagonal Fisheye Pentax smc DA 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 AL WR +8 more
Cosmo Not
Like?

Thanks for the info Kevin. Did you happen to use/have a centering function on your camera? I'm assuming a FF lens on a crop sensor would allow for a large degree of correction.

Cosmo Not
Like?

Thanks for the info Kevin. Did you happen to use/have a centering function on your camera? I'm assuming a FF lens on a crop sensor would allow for a large degree of correction.

BobORama
Senior MemberPosts: 1,654Gear list
Like?

I like the Samyang from the stand point of edge to edge sharpness at reasonable apertures.   Because of low coma, it was very suitable for far field work ( astro-photography / tele-landscape ) and not as nice as the Tak 1.8/85 for portraiture.  But as a modern lens, I think the Samyang outperforms the Tak in terms of the nisen-bokeh and other aspects where 40 year old glass just can't compete.   This is from the s-m-c Tak 1.8/85 @ 1.8 for comparison

Any lens like this is a compromise, and they two are very different lenses.  The Samyang is a great lens for the price, especially when the Tak is more money and not necessarily better depending on the work being done with it.

BobORama's gear list:BobORama's gear list
Pentax K-5 Sigma 10mm F2.8 EX DC HSM Diagonal Fisheye Pentax smc DA 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 AL WR +8 more
Arijit Banerjee
Like?
In reply to Cosmo Not, Apr 25, 2013

Cosmo Not- yes this has the ' A ' Setting. It is just like a Pentax A series lens. Leave it on A and control aperture from the body. Focus confirmation is available in the viewfinder. Early days yet, but it is by all means a good lens.

-- hide signature --

Arijit

Pentax K-x Pentax K-5 Pentax smc DA 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 AL Pentax smc DA 55-300mm F4.0-5.8 ED Pentax smc DA* 300mm F4.0 ED (IF) SDM +3 more
Arijit Banerjee
Like?
Kevin
In reply to pentx4life, Apr 25, 2013

Thanks Kevin. My Kx has a jinfinance 30 dollar screen on it. Not too precise. I shall be investing in a better screen soon.

regards,

-- hide signature --

Arijit

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads