Testing, testing 1,4,2,4...

Started Apr 24, 2013 | Discussions
vbuhay
Contributing MemberPosts: 525Gear list
Like?
Testing, testing 1,4,2,4...
Apr 24, 2013

I am getting an AF-S 14-24 f2.8g tomorrow. Any suggestion on how to test it using the D600? I have 3 days to make my final decision to keep it or not - Bought it used from a West Coast lens rental place...any input is appreciated.

BTW,  real happy with my D600 after the Shutter Mechanism was replaced and "cleaned" here in LA. Currently have  - 24-70 f2.8g, 80-200 f2.8D and 85 f1.8g. the 14-24 should complete "my" holy Quadrinity.

Also thinking of the D7100 as a back up. Currently have the Pentax k20D, K5 with Bunch of lenses as back up. Input anyone?

Thanks

vbuhay's gear list:vbuhay's gear list
Nikon Coolpix AW100 Pentax K20D Pentax K-5 Nikon D800E Nikon D7100 +23 more
Nikon D600 Nikon D7100 Pentax K20D Pentax K-5
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
87350iroc
Junior MemberPosts: 43Gear list
Like?
Re: Testing, testing 1,4,2,4...
In reply to vbuhay, Apr 24, 2013

I would suggest taking real pictures with your new lens.  Then review and determine if the results are worth the cost.  Or you can take pictures of a newspaper or brick wall if that is your preferred subject.

87350iroc's gear list:87350iroc's gear list
Nikon D600 Tokina AT-X Pro 100mm f/2.8 Macro Tamron AF 28-75mm F/2.8 XR Di LD Aspherical (IF) Nikon AF-S Nikkor 28-300mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-Nikkor 80-200mm f/2.8D ED +5 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Leonard Shepherd
Veteran MemberPosts: 8,377Gear list
Like?

If you do not get the instruction book, it cautions camera autofocus may work well when objects are small in the viewfinder or fine detail in the viewfinder focus mark - both are not uncommon at 14mm.

You may find you need to use manual focus more often than with longer lenses. This is not a particular issue in view of the extremely wide depth of field.

-- hide signature --

Leonard Shepherd
Many problems turn out to be a lack of intimate knowledge of complex modern camera equipment.

Leonard Shepherd's gear list:Leonard Shepherd's gear list
Nikon D800 Nikon D7100 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6G IF-ED VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 12-24mm f/4G ED-IF Nikon AF-S Nikkor 16-35mm f/4G ED VR +19 more
slimandy
Forum ProPosts: 14,367Gear list
Like?

I'm not a fan of made-up testing. Go out and use it. Do whatever it was you bought the lens to do. See how it handles, look at the results. Don't go looking for defects that are not relevent.

-- hide signature --

www.andrewsandersphotography.co.uk

slimandy's gear list:slimandy's gear list
Sony RX100 II Nikon D200 Nikon D700 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Fujifilm X-E1 +1 more
vbuhay
Like?
Re: Testing, testing 14-24...
In reply to vbuhay, Apr 29, 2013

Attached are a few test shots at the Getty Museum this weekend using my D600 (2nd copy  Cleaned a month ago, now with a new shutter mechanism) and my newly acquired (Used copy) AF-S 14-24 f2.8 Lens.

I think I did see 1 or 2 Dust spots, but ignoring those, can any of you give me some CC on these, be gentle, my neck and wrist are still aching from carrying this lens and Camera yesterday for about 4 hours.

Thanks in advance.

PS: lots of Pictures..

Spring at the Getty

This lens was made for architectural Images.

Spacious plaza in front of one of the Galleries

Inside the Main entrance Bldg.

Outside the Main Entrance Bldg.

Very Modern Architecture - Lots of stone facades.

Hello?

Wide open walk ways

Beautiful view of I-405 looking  South cente back ground  - Westwood, back further left Downtown LA

Open aire dining - background Malibu and the Pacific Ocean

Plaza and waterpond with art galleries all around - no CPL but sky is nice and blue, photo gallery on the right

Sunny side up dining and relaxation

Lonely Bench anyone?

Bougainville Trees???

Gatty gardens

More flowers

Getty Gardens and water falls

Used as a Macro with lots of cropping.

More Cropping

Too much saturation, had to tone it down a bit

more flowers

Experimenting with colors and saturation

More experiment - stairway to Hea....

That is a Big Bug!

Leaving ...

wasserball
Senior MemberPosts: 2,422Gear list
Like?
In reply to vbuhay, Apr 29, 2013

Are you sure you will take suggestions here?  Test it the way you will be using it, and against flat and curved objects.  If you are satisfied with the images, then keep it.

wasserball's gear list:wasserball's gear list
Kenko Teleplus Pro 300 AF 1.4x Nikon D90 Nikon D3S Nikon D600 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR +4 more
PHXAZCRAIG
Forum ProPosts: 10,754Gear list
Like?
Here you go:
In reply to wasserball, Apr 29, 2013

Real world shots are useful, but some simple checks and test shots can quickly uncover problems you may not notice at first.

At the least, skim this:

http://www.lensrentals.com/blog/2010/11/how-to-test-a-lens

-- hide signature --

Craig
www.cjcphoto.net

PHXAZCRAIG's gear list:PHXAZCRAIG's gear list
Nikon D80 Nikon D200 Nikon D300 Nikon D700 Nikon 1 V1 +28 more
RBFresno
Veteran MemberPosts: 9,057Gear list
Like?
In reply to slimandy, Apr 30, 2013

slimandy wrote:

I'm not a fan of made-up testing. Go out and use it. Do whatever it was you bought the lens to do. See how it handles, look at the results. Don't go looking for defects that are not relevent.

-- hide signature --

www.andrewsandersphotography.co.uk

HI!

I'm similar...

When I get a new zoom, I usually go out to my back yard, take a bunch of pictures of the fence (hand held.....gasp!) at various  focal lengths and distances, wide open, "chimp" the images, and then off to do some "real" shooting.

If I think I'm seeing a problem, then I might get out the tripod, use the live view, remote release, mirror lock up, etc. and "fine tune" the camera to the lens. But usually not.

I wouldn't necessarily recommend this to anyone else, I'm just fessing up to what has worked reasonably well for me.

This is probably what I should be doing....:

Roger Cicala's lens testing

RB

RBFresno's gear list:RBFresno's gear list
Nikon D2H Nikon D3 Nikon D200 Nikon D4 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR +16 more
vbuhay
Like?
Re: Here you go:
In reply to PHXAZCRAIG, Apr 30, 2013

Thanks, that Article from lens rental is really good reading. Still learning....it looks like my 14-24 is OK at this time- its a keeper.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads