Where did you find your legacy lens? Share

Started Apr 24, 2013 | Discussions
thenewcameraguy
Junior MemberPosts: 39
Like?
Where did you find your legacy lens? Share
Apr 24, 2013

what kind of places would one find a legacy lens like zeiss, contax , voiglander etc. please share your biggest scores. Thanks

Mine was olympus 38 1.8 for $40 at antique store.

Chris_Downunder
Contributing MemberPosts: 611Gear list
Like?
Re: Where did you find your legacy lens? Share
In reply to thenewcameraguy, Apr 24, 2013

I get mine primarily from Ebay but sometime I use Adorama. Here in Australia there's not many options.

All the best,

Chris

Chris_Downunder's gear list:Chris_Downunder's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-5N Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Sony E 16mm F2.8 Pancake Sigma 30mm F2.8 EX DN Sigma 19mm F2.8 EX DN +9 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Jefenator
Senior MemberPosts: 1,449Gear list
Like?

Well, my greatest score would have to be the Nikkor 55mm & 105mm macros I use all the time. Got them free from my dad - literally legacy lenses! (The 55mm in particular has a lot of sentimental value.)

In terms of a bargain I earned through hunting, I got a Minolta MC-Rokkor 50mm 1:1.4 at a small town second hand store last month for $15. Had to use vinegar to clear a bit of fungus off the rear element - now it's my favorite nifty fifty.

Last year I found a couple of Leica 35mm SLR lenses on Craigslist and talked the lady down to $950. That's not your typical yard sale sum, but it's way down there by Leica standards. (I'm glad I had some money handy for that - the 60mm Macro-Elmarit has become my most-used lens.)

Jefenator's gear list:Jefenator's gear list
Sony Alpha 7 Sony Alpha NEX-7 Canon EOS M Sigma 30mm F2.8 EX DN Canon EF-M 22mm f/2 STM +1 more
forpetessake
Senior MemberPosts: 3,704
Like?

thenewcameraguy wrote:

what kind of places would one find a legacy lens like zeiss, contax , voiglander etc. please share your biggest scores. Thanks

Check you local ads, there may be photo equipment fairs near you. I like going to these places with a bag of adapters and trying all that old stuff.

Lightshow
Senior MemberPosts: 2,531Gear list
Like?

Mostly eBay, garage/yard sales, antique malls, pawn shops, keh...

My biggest score is an Angénieux 135/2.5(Exakta) for $100, completed eBay listings are around $5000

Lightshow's gear list:Lightshow's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sony Alpha 7R +1 more
blue_skies
Senior MemberPosts: 7,161Gear list
Like?

thenewcameraguy wrote:

SLR lenses were already in my cup-board, most of them I just had to pull them out again.

RF lenses came new from amazon (tax-free at the time), used from ebay. Another resource to check is Craigslist (US).

Interestingly, the 'current' (ie. still being manufactured) RF (voigtlander, zeiss) lenses are holding their prices in the used market, but the 'used' (contax-g, voigtlander, SLR) lenses seem to actually be going up in value.

E.g. I paid $200 for the (now legacy) voigtlander color-heliar 75mm f/2.5 (the M39 LTM mount). If you can find one today, the going price seems to be around $400. (The updated and larger current f/1.8 M mount goes for around $800).

Also, the 'current' RF lenses are being released in batches. If you were to order a new one, you'd have to wait for stock to become available (I had to wait on voigtlander and zeiss lenses).

My 'best' deals were for the A-mount lenses: $75 for the SAL75300 (new $250); also $75 for the SAL50F18 (new $170); and $50 for the SAL1855 (new $220): all in excellent condition. That is $200 for $750 worth of lenses (75% discount). (I purchased the SAL35F18 new).

Other interesting lenses: I paid $50 for an OM 35/2.8 lens, which is now listing for about $150, if in excellent condition (65% discount).

Sony raising the prices on some of the lenses also seemed to help:

I paid $799 for the original SEL18200 (new), tax-free, and it seems that I can still get that money back today. Not bad, considering that the lens was in short supply at the time (I ordered out-of-state - tax-free & no-shipping charge).

Also, the SEL24F18Z is worth mentioning, I paid (Sony) $950, I believe at the time, with some promotion.

Oh, I got a 2nd E16 + VCL-ECU1 for $125 (together, unused). New would have been about $300.

It seems that I accumulated more lenses than I should have, but it appears that I can get even money on most of the lenses that I acquired new, and double my money on those that I acquired used. Interesting phenomenon.

-- hide signature --

Cheers,
Henry

blue_skies's gear list:blue_skies's gear list
Canon PowerShot S95 Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony Alpha 7 Sony a6000 +30 more
Jonathan_Whiteman
Contributing MemberPosts: 813Gear list
Like?

3 in a box of my wife's old camera stuff, one in a second hand camera shop and one on eBay.  They're everywhere

peruchox
Regular MemberPosts: 239Gear list
Like?

I commented my older friend that I can use old glass with my NEX. He then told me that back in the day he was into photography and he still got some canon primes. He just gave a 50mm to as gift as he no longer needs it.  I guess some of your friends or relatives may have them around from the 80's.

peruchox's gear list:peruchox's gear list
Sony E 50mm F1.8 OSS Sigma 60mm F2.8 DN
zackiedawg
Forum ProPosts: 21,883Gear list
Like?

My biggest score was Craig's List...I found a seller near my office wanting to unload a couple old SLRs... $100 took the lot, which included a Konica Hexanon 40mm F1.8, Konica Hexanon 50mm F1.7, Vivitar 28mm F2.8 Komine-build, Vivitar Series One 70-210mm F3.5 Kiron-build, Chinon 50mm F1.9, and a Chinon Chinar 135mm F2.8, along with the two SLR bodies, flash units, cable releases, cleaning cloths, a bag, and extra caps.

I picked up a few lenses from KEH.com, for me the best used seller of camera equipment - very reliable, super-conservative on their condition ratings, and with returns allowed and trades/buys.

And I had some manual lenses of my own, from my SLR days, still sitting up in my closet - namely my Pentax ME Super kit.

-- hide signature --

Justin
galleries: www.pbase.com/zackiedawg

zackiedawg's gear list:zackiedawg's gear list
Sony Alpha DSLR-A580 Sony Alpha NEX-5N Sony a6000 Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Sony E 16mm F2.8 Pancake +24 more
richiemccaw
Regular MemberPosts: 431Gear list
Like?
In reply to zackiedawg, Apr 24, 2013

Where I am it is not easy to get my hands on legacy lenses so I have gotten all my lenses online, i.e. eBay. I reckon I have overpaid for some lenses like the Contax G 45mm f2 but in general I have been very happy with the quality of the lenses obtained. The downside is that sometimes the lenses you receive are not as 'excellent' as the seller claims it to be so to me it's part and parcel of doing business on eBay.

Seeing as to how many fellow posters have grabbed lenses from garage sales and flea markets (?), I would definitely try to open my eyes a little wider and check these places out in hope of grabbing a good bargain.

richiemccaw's gear list:richiemccaw's gear list
Canon EOS-1D Mark III Canon EOS 5D Sony Alpha NEX-6 Olympus PEN E-PL5 Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM +6 more
daddyman
Regular MemberPosts: 137Gear list
Like?

I received several Konica Hexanon lenses (50/1.4, 50/1.7, 40/1.8) when a friend gave them to me because he doesn't use them anymore. Can't beat the price, and I have developed a special relationship with the 50/1.4.

Mike

daddyman's gear list:daddyman's gear list
Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS Carl Zeiss Touit 1.8/32 +1 more
uhligfd
Senior MemberPosts: 1,279
Like?
In reply to daddyman, Apr 25, 2013

I do find them mostly in my closet and try them out one by one.

davect01
Senior MemberPosts: 4,039
Like?
In reply to thenewcameraguy, Apr 25, 2013

Ebay, 90%. Amazon, 5%. Goodwill, 5%

-- hide signature --

Novice photobug, proud NEX-3 owner
http://davesnex-3photos.blogspot.com/

Keyboard shortcuts: