Shooting along side videographer

Started Apr 24, 2013 | Questions
j_photo
Senior MemberPosts: 1,367Gear list
Like?
Shooting along side videographer
Apr 24, 2013

(cross posted with Pro Digital forum)

I occasionally shoot events. This weekend I'll be shooting a small fashion show and just learned there will be a videographer also involved. Any tips on getting along with video lighting? Thanks.

j_photo's gear list:j_photo's gear list
Nikon D800 Nikon Df
ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Peter Patricelli
Regular MemberPosts: 327
Like?
Re: Shooting along side videographer
In reply to j_photo, Apr 24, 2013

Only done it once but there are very few and rare circumstances that a flash from a single other photographer is going to enhance a video, so you are going to be totally dependent on his lighting.  Be prepared to deal with White Balance issues and you will be dependent on your best high ISO since you will need faster shutter speeds than the videographer and VR, or a tri/mono-pod.  You will in all likelihood be shooting from further back to stay out of his shot so you might need more focal length.

As long as you are behind him and not flashing/interfering with his lighting....and maybe quiet...you don't exist.

Those were the issues I had to deal with.

-- hide signature --

Peter Patricelli
www.flyfishingfotography.com

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
j_photo
Like?
In reply to Peter Patricelli, Apr 24, 2013

Peter Patricelli wrote:

you will be dependent on your best high ISO since you will need faster shutter speeds than the videographer and VR,

Could you explain what you mean here. Faster shutter speeds than the videographer?

Nikon D800 Nikon Df
87350iroc
Junior MemberPosts: 43Gear list
Like?

j_photo wrote:

Peter Patricelli wrote:

you will be dependent on your best high ISO since you will need faster shutter speeds than the videographer and VR,

Could you explain what you mean here. Faster shutter speeds than the videographer?

Easy.  Video is recorded at 24-30 frames per second.  Shutter speed on video cameras typically ranges from around 1/30-1/60 sec.  They don't care what a single frame looks like, as long as the action is smooth.  Ever notice when pausing a video, anything moving looks blurry?  But once you play it again, it looks fine.

This will not fly with photography as in most cases movement in the frame is undesirable.

So the video lights likely be setup for a slower shutter speed than you need.  As a result, you will have to compensate.

87350iroc's gear list:87350iroc's gear list
Nikon D600 Tokina AT-X Pro 100mm f/2.8 Macro Tamron AF 28-75mm F/2.8 XR Di LD Aspherical (IF) Nikon AF-S Nikkor 28-300mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-Nikkor 80-200mm f/2.8D ED +5 more
Pete Silver
Regular MemberPosts: 255Gear list
Like?
In reply to 87350iroc, Apr 24, 2013

I am a videographer and the lights are set up to be the brightest white light possible (usually by a third party) nothing to do with shutter speed. Most of the lighting that is bad is because the catwalk is not lit evenly - especially at the end where the models pose for a few seconds.

Your still camera should be fine just set it up for the conditions and you probably won't need to use flash (our photographer doesn't)

-- hide signature --

Pete Silver

Pete Silver's gear list:Pete Silver's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix S5 Pro Samsung NX30 Nikon D810 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 28-70mm f/2.8 ED-IF +5 more
j_photo
Like?

Thanks everyone. Got some good info.

Nikon D800 Nikon Df
CraigBennett
Contributing MemberPosts: 688Gear list
Like?
In reply to Pete Silver, Apr 24, 2013

Pete Silver wrote:

I am a videographer and the lights are set up to be the brightest white light possible (usually by a third party) nothing to do with shutter speed. Most of the lighting that is bad is because the catwalk is not lit evenly - especially at the end where the models pose for a few seconds.

Your still camera should be fine just set it up for the conditions and you probably won't need to use flash (our photographer doesn't)

-- hide signature --

Pete Silver

+1 on this.

If you have good high ISO camera and the videographer uses good bright lights, you should be good to go with ambient lighting.  I would go to live view to get my white balance of the scene before I start shooting, and shot RAW.

Regards,

-- hide signature --
 CraigBennett's gear list:CraigBennett's gear list
Nikon D90 Nikon D800E Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-105mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-85mm F3.5-4.5G ED VR +5 more
j_photo
Like?
In reply to CraigBennett, Apr 25, 2013

Thanks Craig. Helpful.

Nikon D800 Nikon Df
AustinTed
Regular MemberPosts: 487
Like?
In reply to j_photo, Apr 25, 2013

j_photo wrote:

(cross posted with Pro Digital forum)

I occasionally shoot events. This weekend I'll be shooting a small fashion show and just learned there will be a videographer also involved. Any tips on getting along with video lighting? Thanks.

One other point to consider.  Depending how audio is being handled your shutter sound might be recorded with spectacular clarity...

j_photo
Like?
In reply to AustinTed, Apr 25, 2013

Good point. In this case, I have seniority--I helped make the event possible in the first place. So they will just have live with it

Nikon D800 Nikon Df
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads