16mm pancake?

Started Apr 23, 2013 | Discussions
deryn
Regular MemberPosts: 343
Like?
16mm pancake?
Apr 23, 2013

Hi all, can someone direct me to a review of the 16mm pancake lens that is positive? Most of what I have read is not favourable towards the lens. I would like a lens wider than the kit lens and thought this would be good for my F3.

Any positive experiences guys?

Deryn

rsx19
Junior MemberPosts: 44
Like?
Re: 16mm pancake?
In reply to deryn, Apr 23, 2013

personally mine is extremely soft and only starts getting ok at 5.6.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
deryn
Like?
In reply to rsx19, Apr 23, 2013

Hi, isn't the lens fixed at 2.8?

Deryn

Nexguy
Junior MemberPosts: 33
Like?

The lens is not a fixed F2.8.  I think quality control was a major issue with this lens.  My copy is just fine. Others were not so lucky.  It makes a 5N look like an inconspicuous point and shoot camera.

photohanked
Regular MemberPosts: 121
Like?
In reply to Nexguy, Apr 23, 2013

Mine is also sharp.

blue_skies
Senior MemberPosts: 6,695Gear list
Like?
In reply to Nexguy, Apr 23, 2013

Nexguy wrote:

The lens is not a fixed F2.8.  I think quality control was a major issue with this lens.  My copy is just fine. Others were not so lucky.  It makes a 5N look like an inconspicuous point and shoot camera.

I have two copies of the E16, both are fine. Two friends also both have the E16, theirs are also fine.

There have been bad copies out there, how many, as a percentage, is unknown, but given the high number sold, I doubt that this percentage can be high.

At f/2.8, the corners go soft - see the two shots (one at f/5.6 and one at f/2.8). For 'purist' this is a big deal, and has given the lens a horrible reputation.

In practice, avoid f/2.8. At f/4 the lens is acceptable, at f/5.6 it is pretty usable.

Nex-7 with E16 at f/5.6

Nex-7 with E16 at f/2.8 - also notice the sky color changing

-- hide signature --

Cheers,
Henry

blue_skies's gear list:blue_skies's gear list
Canon PowerShot S95 Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony Alpha 7 Sony a6000 +30 more
Dennis
Forum ProPosts: 13,129
Like?

deryn wrote:

Hi all, can someone direct me to a review of the 16mm pancake lens that is positive? Most of what I have read is not favourable towards the lens. I would like a lens wider than the kit lens and thought this would be good for my F3.

The only gripe I ever had with the lens is that I wished (and STILL wish) Sony did a pancake that's more "normal" in FL - so I don't object to what the lens is so much as what it isn't

That out of the way, I like it well enough.  I have limited use for a 16mm prime, but it's proven handy now & again.  I must have a good copy.  It's very sharp in the center wide open.  I don't really care about corners when I shoot wide open (it's rare that I'm shooting a flat subject, and despite the wide angle, you can easily have corners outside of the DOF at f/2.8).  I'll stop down to f/5.6 for anything where I want DOF and then worst case, the very extreme corners are a bit soft at 100% and not to the point where I think I'd notice in any print I'd make.

- Dennis

-- hide signature --
deryn
Like?
In reply to blue_skies, Apr 23, 2013

blue_skies wrote:

Nexguy wrote:

I have two copies of the E16, both are fine. Two friends also both have the E16, theirs are also fine.

There have been bad copies out there, how many, as a percentage, is unknown, but given the high number sold, I doubt that this percentage can be high.

At f/2.8, the corners go soft - see the two shots (one at f/5.6 and one at f/2.8). For 'purist' this is a big deal, and has given the lens a horrible reputation.

In practice, avoid f/2.8. At f/4 the lens is acceptable, at f/5.6 it is pretty usable.

Nex-7 with E16 at f/5.6

Nex-7 with E16 at f/2.8 - also notice the sky color changing

-- hide signature --

Cheers,
Henry

Wow, avoid 2.8, acceptable at 4, pretty usable at 5.6 !

A couple of 'sharp' claims.

Kind of fits in with what I've been reading. Which is a pity.

Deryn

WishJr
Forum MemberPosts: 67
Like?

While the 16mm may not be an incredible piece of glass, it is capable of taking incredible images. On most photos the extreme edges are not critical to the success of the image. I use mine most of the time with the wide angle converter, as I like that look. The fisheye has provided some strong images  and one award winner and no one is looking 1/1 at the corners.

Don't get me wrong, I like critically sharp lenses and am always searching for them. I use both Sigmas because they perform. I have a ton of manual lenses some of which are excellent on my Nex cameras.  Still the 16 provides good value enabling me to get images I would not otherwise have.

And a reality that is not much mentioned. Most ultrawides are not great especially wide open, read the reviews.  Also it is that much tougher to make one work on the short register of the Nex series.

blue_skies
Senior MemberPosts: 6,695Gear list
Like?

deryn wrote:

Wow, avoid 2.8, acceptable at 4, pretty usable at 5.6 !

A couple of 'sharp' claims.

Kind of fits in with what I've been reading. Which is a pity.

Deryn

How does this differ from the E1018?

• This lens has: no f/2.8, is acceptable at f/4, and usable at f/5.6 ---

I have taken lots of pleasing pictures with the E16, and seldom have to use it at f/2.8 (I have other lenses then) - often with the UWA adapter.

I now use the E20 more regularly, which I find to be a more pleasing FOV - and this lens can be used at f/2.8 just fine.

-- hide signature --

Cheers,
Henry

blue_skies's gear list:blue_skies's gear list
Canon PowerShot S95 Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony Alpha 7 Sony a6000 +30 more
EWR72
Regular MemberPosts: 298Gear list
Like?
In reply to blue_skies, Apr 23, 2013

Here´s an example of it on the Nex-F3 with the fisheye converter. I have other images on my Flickr page with the F3 and the C3.

EWR72's gear list:EWR72's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX3 Ricoh GR Digital Sigma DP1s Canon EOS-1Ds Mark II Canon EOS 350D +3 more
EWR72
Regular MemberPosts: 298Gear list
Like?
In reply to EWR72, Apr 23, 2013

A couple more without any converter lenses .......

EWR72's gear list:EWR72's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX3 Ricoh GR Digital Sigma DP1s Canon EOS-1Ds Mark II Canon EOS 350D +3 more
JayDreamer
Regular MemberPosts: 345Gear list
Like?

If I am right (Pros correct me please) only focal lens can be fixed (as in prime lenses) but the aperture value is an indication of what is the maximum you can get. Still it can be controlled by the camera from the maximum to minimum range.

-- hide signature --

Images from the mind are surreal!

JayDreamer's gear list:JayDreamer's gear list
Nikon D610 Nikon AF Nikkor 180mm f/2.8D ED-IF Nikon AF-S Nikkor 85mm f/1.4G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.8G Rokinon 24mm f/1.4 Aspherical +7 more
Joachim Wulfers
Contributing MemberPosts: 972Gear list
Like?

deryn wrote:

Any positive experiences guys?

Deryn

There are enough excellent examples in this thread.

http://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/50679132

-- hide signature --

Joachim

Joachim Wulfers's gear list:Joachim Wulfers's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-5N Sony a6000 Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Sony E 16mm F2.8 Pancake Sony E 18-200mm F3.5-6.3 OSS +9 more
deryn
Like?
In reply to Joachim Wulfers, Apr 23, 2013

Yes, I've just checked out this thread and there are some brilliant pics.

Deryn

saintz
Regular MemberPosts: 420
Like?

The lens is better (in the corners) on the 16 mp sensors than the 14 mp sensors due to the better micro-lenses for wide angle and wide aperture lenses. It's also better on the 5N and other models with lens correction profiles, as it gets rid of some of the distortion (or you can do this in post processing). It's apparently even better with the converters attached.

Bottom line, the lens is perfectly useable, so long as the photographer knows how to use it. The portability, speed, and cost make it a great lens for the right uses. The pictures many have posted show this, despite what charts and reviews might show (although some shots show how you shouldn't use the lens, as well).

akophoto
Junior MemberPosts: 33
Like?
In reply to saintz, Apr 23, 2013

I have the 16mm and use it with the UWA and Fisheye converters.

Just back from NY and captured some fantastic shots with it.

I find my copy pretty sharp across the frame at f/8 on my 5n.

I also have the Sigma 19mm and 30mm combo.  The 19mm compares closely to the E16mm.

The 30mm is much sharper in the corners.

Here are a few with the 16mm/ fisheye combo

Apple Fifth Ave

Times Square

Subway

Chris_Downunder
Contributing MemberPosts: 609Gear list
Like?

I'm pretty happy with mine. Even at f2.8 it's results aren't too bad:

All the best,

Chris

Chris_Downunder's gear list:Chris_Downunder's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-5N Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Sony E 16mm F2.8 Pancake Sigma 30mm F2.8 EX DN Sigma 19mm F2.8 EX DN +9 more
GaryW
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,729Gear list
Like?
In reply to Dennis, Apr 24, 2013

Dennis wrote:

deryn wrote:

I think it's great if you're on a budget.  It's not perfect, but unless you're really obsessive about lenses, you may like it just fine.  It is very soft in the extreme corners, and this reduces eventually disappearing at f7.1 on my copy.

The only gripe I ever had with the lens is that I wished (and STILL wish) Sony did a pancake that's more "normal" in FL - so I don't object to what the lens is so much as what it isn't

I hear there's a 20mm pancake -- that's closer to "normal".  

That out of the way, I like it well enough.  I have limited use for a 16mm prime, but it's proven handy now & again.  I must have a good copy.  It's very sharp in the center wide open.  I don't really care about corners when I shoot wide open (it's rare that I'm shooting a flat subject, and despite the wide angle, you can easily have corners outside of the DOF at f/2.8).  I'll stop down to f/5.6 for anything where I want DOF and then worst case, the very extreme corners are a bit soft at 100% and not to the point where I think I'd notice in any print I'd make.

Much of the time, the soft corners just look like it is out of focus anyway.  Or it's sky and doesn't matter.  Or it has nothing to do with anything in particular and it doesn't matter.  In short, it usually just doesn't matter.  But, if you must have corner-to-corner sharpness, then avoid the lens.  Once I knew about this limitation, I was pleasantly surprised.  I wanted a compact lens, and it has turned out to be a lot of fun, with such a wide angle.

- Dennis

-- hide signature --
-- hide signature --

Gary W.

GaryW's gear list:GaryW's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony E 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 PZ OSS Sony Cyber-shot DSC-V3 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX5 Sony Alpha DSLR-A100 +10 more
deryn
Like?
In reply to GaryW, Apr 24, 2013

Hi all, I guess I'm realising that it is people that take great pics and not lenses. Yes lenses help to produce a pic in a particular way. But ultimately the person behind the lens takes the pic.

The 16mm has its limitations and if these are worked with then it is obvious some great pics can be produced. Someone not aware of its limitations might be really disappointed with the results though.

Woud I buy the lens? I probably wouldn't be able to get the best from it and so I don't think I would consider it. That would leave me with expensive alternatives I guess.

Deryn

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads