HS50EXR vs SL1000.Anyone compared these 2 camera?

Started Apr 23, 2013 | Discussions
VTRoB
New MemberPosts: 21Gear list
Like?
HS50EXR vs SL1000.Anyone compared these 2 camera?
Apr 23, 2013

Hi,I have the SL1000,which I really like;I've been able to get some good photos at 50x compared to a Sony HX300.Alot of people seem to be going for the HS50,with loads of comparisons,photos and reviews.Are there any advantages of the HS over the SL? I'm aware of the slightly larger sensor;does this give better images? Also the manual zoom will be quicker.The HS costs quite a bit more for slightly less zoom.Anybody compared the 2 or got any pros. or cons. of 1 over the other? I like the SL,good pictures,zoom and a lower price;but am I missing something with the HS?

A few shots from the SL1000

VTRoB's gear list:VTRoB's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix SL1000 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX300 Fujifilm FinePix HS30EXR
Fujifilm FinePix SL1000 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX300
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
jcmarfilph
Senior MemberPosts: 7,592Gear list
Like?
Re: HS50EXR vs SL1000.Anyone compared these 2 camera?
In reply to VTRoB, Apr 23, 2013

The only thing that is better on this cam is it will resolve better(I should say marginally) detail of a very far subject that is well-lit. That is because of the longer FL. Everything else goes to HS50 except the price.

Think about this comparison from SX40 and HS50. That is 840mm versus 1000mm

Btw, your Robin shots are good. Try to set NR to -2 or shoot in RAW.

-=[ Joms ]=-

jcmarfilph's gear list:jcmarfilph's gear list
Fujifilm X20 Fujifilm FinePix HS50 EXR +1 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Ralph McKenzie
Senior MemberPosts: 1,693Gear list
Like?
In reply to VTRoB, Apr 23, 2013

Nice shots.

In reality the two things that may have been of advantage with the HS50 is the PDAF and the manual zoom.

I am consistently seeing images from users with this camera that would suggest that it gives nothing away as far as IQ (against the HS50) for these small sensor cameras. If the AF is fast enough and by all accounts its as fast as the HS50, and the zoom is fast, then you will have a pretty good setup.

Joms is right too about the NR being set to its lowest setting, as with all these small sensor cameras noise is the main enemy of IQ.

-- hide signature --

Love dat Fuji
http://akiwiretrospective.wordpress.com/
Fuji HS20EXR
Fuji HS10,
Pentax K1000, Pentax sf7, Pentax zx-50

Ralph McKenzie's gear list:Ralph McKenzie's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix HS20 EXR
Sactojim
Senior MemberPosts: 3,054
Like?
In reply to VTRoB, Apr 24, 2013

Nice shots VT! I have the S8200 which has the same sensor as the SL1000 and it's a very good camera. Love the Fuji color and it's butter smooth and quick zoom in/out. I think it's on par with regards to IQ with the HS50 without the need to fine tune the EXR sensor. The S8200 is a bargain zoom cam and should serve anyone well with very good IQ, 40x optical zoom, HD video, excellent ergonimics (every button is placed well), and pretty fast focus. That said, I'm also trying a Nikon P510 that I grabbed on sale and it's difficult to decide which I like better. I vote for your SL1000 with the CMOS sensor and hope to see more of your pics. A few below with the S8200:

jcmarfilph
Like?
In reply to Sactojim, Apr 24, 2013

Sactojim wrote:

Nice shots VT! I have the S8200 which has the same sensor as the SL1000 and it's a very good camera. Love the Fuji color and it's butter smooth and quick zoom in/out. I think it's on par with regards to IQ with the HS50 without the need to fine tune the EXR sensor. The S8200 is a bargain zoom cam and should serve anyone well with very good IQ, 40x optical zoom, HD video, excellent ergonimics (every button is placed well), and pretty fast focus. That said, I'm also trying a Nikon P510 that I grabbed on sale and it's difficult to decide which I like better. I vote for your SL1000 with the CMOS sensor and hope to see more of your pics. A few below with the S8200:

These are ISO-250 and 400 for your reference... I still think HS50 is ahead in IQ up to 1000mm EFL.

-=[ Joms ]=-

bizi clop
Forum MemberPosts: 71Gear list
Like?
 bizi clop's gear list:bizi clop's gear list
Canon PowerShot G2 Canon PowerShot SX50 HS
norland
Forum MemberPosts: 97
Like?

The SL1000 v the Canon SX50 seems to be the hard choice to make... as a stop-gap till (maybe) Fuji sort themselves out with an XS-2. The HS50exr just doesn't appear to be good enough to justify the problems it carries.

Way I see it -- and I do want to buy a long-zoom -- Fuji are being too oddly evasive about the XS-1 to trust it (a pity, since I would have purchased one yesterday if that wasn't so), and the Panasonic FZ200 is quite tempting but comparatively over-priced for a noisy little sensor maybe being pushed too far. Shallow depth of field at 2.8 partly negates its ability to have a higher shutter speed at 400asa or below, and the sensor is not very appealing above 400 ... in this lower-light part of the country (or further up north) for most of the year I'd on the whole prefer to have a faster film speed equivalent.

So it comes down to a choice between the SL100 and the SX50, neither of which is ideal but at least they do offer a lot that's useful.

It's good that all the above mentioned are not cluttered up with stuff that's nothing to do with taking a photo -- absolutely no desire for a popup toaster with the ability to tell me exactly where I amn't on facegook whilst sending emails or whatever, and happens to have a camera stuck on as an afterthought.

VTRoB
Like?
In reply to jcmarfilph, Apr 24, 2013

Thanks for the reply and comments.Unfortunately the SL doesn't have NR,just an option called 'INTELLIGENT SHARPNESS',which I leave on,I'll try it off to see if it makes any noticeable difference.I like the idea of a large zoom,which is why I went for the SL after first trying the Sony HX300,which although a nice camera for manual control,didn't give be very good results,especially in not perfect light;the images where far noisier than the SL.I was looking for other reasons to try the HS,is the focusing time alot quicker compared to the SL,or is there not much in it? I like the idea of manual zoom.Also does the HS give you more scope for manual settings? Thanks.

VTRoB
Like?
In reply to Ralph McKenzie, Apr 24, 2013

Thanks for reply,

I don't have problem with the image quality of this camera and compared to the Sony HX300,which I had for a short while,I find it alot better.There isn't a NR setting just something called 'Intelligent Sharpness' so I can't adjust anything there.

I like the manual zoom as I have it on my HS28,I just wanted a longer zoom range so the SL makes the most sense.I was just wondering if there were any major advantages on the HS-quicker focusing or more manual settings? Thanks again.

VTRoB
Like?
In reply to bizi clop, Apr 24, 2013

Thanks,a useful link.

jcmarfilph
Like?
In reply to norland, Apr 25, 2013

norland wrote:

The SL1000 v the Canon SX50 seems to be the hard choice to make... as a stop-gap till (maybe) Fuji sort themselves out with an XS-2. The HS50exr just doesn't appear to be good enough to justify the problems it carries.

Care to elaborate the problems you are talking about?

Way I see it -- and I do want to buy a long-zoom -- Fuji are being too oddly evasive about the XS-1 to trust it (a pity, since I would have purchased one yesterday if that wasn't so), and the Panasonic FZ200 is quite tempting but comparatively over-priced for a noisy little sensor maybe being pushed too far. Shallow depth of field at 2.8 partly negates its ability to have a higher shutter speed at 400asa or below, and the sensor is not very appealing above 400 ... in this lower-light part of the country (or further up north) for most of the year I'd on the whole prefer to have a faster film speed equivalent.

So it comes down to a choice between the SL100 and the SX50, neither of which is ideal but at least they do offer a lot that's useful.

It's good that all the above mentioned are not cluttered up with stuff that's nothing to do with taking a photo -- absolutely no desire for a popup toaster with the ability to tell me exactly where I amn't on facegook whilst sending emails or whatever, and happens to have a camera stuck on as an afterthought.

If you don't care about blazing speed in STS and AF and if you don't care about the sluggish motorized zoom, peephole EVF and toy-ish built of those cams then yes, those two are pretty much your choices.

-=[ Joms ]=-

DickyAus
Contributing MemberPosts: 751Gear list
Like?
In reply to VTRoB, Apr 25, 2013

The only comparison I can offer is a similar shot of the moon with my HS50

I'm in the southern hemisphere so the moom is upside down of course.

DickyAus's gear list:DickyAus's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix HS50 EXR Olympus E-M1 Olympus M.Zuiko ED 75-300mm 1:4.8-6.7 II Olympus 12-40mm F2.8
jcmarfilph
Like?
In reply to DickyAus, Apr 25, 2013

DickyAus wrote:

Great shot Dicky.

-=[ Joms ]=-

MitchyK7
Regular MemberPosts: 131
Like?

The moon isn't upside down, you are! lol

As for the HS50, you definitely need to come away from default settings to get the best from it image quality wise. But then these cams are aimed at enthusiast photographers and above for the most part. So we know about apertures and ISO and noise. The casual buyers who get one, don't know the intricacies and so therefore will not get the best results out of it. Which is why these cameras should come with a proper photography field guide. Something consumers can refer to for getting the best out of the camera.

For the most part all new cameras from whichever manufacturer offer the same sort of images in the same price/performance brackets. The only difference is things such as EXR, Smart auto, Digic etc. The problem being that companies like Fuji or Canon or Nikon, tout these features as must have, and over promote them, without mentioning how you are supposed to use them!

But for the Fuji X-S1 Vs the HS50, it comes down to what you want, the X-S1 definitely has better IQ in the right hands, but the HS50 has long manual zoom. SO it's a trade off, just like any other choice. I went with the HS50 for the long zoom reach, and so far have not regretted my decision at all. If i want super high quality images, then i'll grab a Canon DSLR and use that, but so far, i've not needed to, and with neurological damage to my upper spine, i have to make sure my camera doesn't weigh too much.

VTRoB
Like?

Hi,good photo;shame its back to front (you could try turning the camera upside down ).The image quality looks good and is very similar to the SL,its good having the long zoom option.

I like the SL was just wondering if the HS has any 'extras' the SL doesn't;I think focus times are probably quicker and possibly there are more manual options.

Thanks for the post.

VTRoB
Like?
In reply to MitchyK7, Apr 25, 2013

Hi,I think you pretty much sum up what I think.All the bridge cameras in this sector,ie. the super zooms are all similar;I've tried the Canon SX50,Sony HX300 and now have the SL1000;they all give similar results as regards image quality,even compared to my older HS28.With the Canon it was purely the physical size I didn't like and not as long zoom.The Sony I just found you had to play with the settings alot more to get good results,it was just more work! The SL,I find,you can put it on auto and it takes some decent photos;I like playing with the settings,some of the time,the Sony makes this easy-but then I found you had to!

At the end of the day you get what you pay for,these are not top of the range DSLRs;I don't want to spend a fortune on the camera plus loads of heavy lens to carry around.I want 1 camera with reasonably good image quality,a long zoom option and the ability to play around with the settings a little.With the SL I have that,so I'm happy.Would the HS50 give me a few more options?- Probably,although I might miss that little extra zoom,they are closely matched,both good cameras in my opinion.Hope you agree!

DickyAus
Contributing MemberPosts: 751Gear list
Like?
In reply to MitchyK7, Apr 26, 2013

Hi Mitchy, thanks for your constructive criticism. I have seen a number of posts about settings and I'm keen to experiment. The moon shot was one of my first photos straight out of the box and whilst it is flawed in many ways it was at least encouraging. I think I'm going to enjoy my HS50. I got my first camera (a Kodak box camera) at a church jumble sale 60 years ago. Photography was relatively simple then - make an educated guess about light, select speed/aperture, shuffle around to frame the subject, point and click; Now I have retired and put my camel that used to carry my sack of SLR lenses out to pasture I must learn to use a new and far more complicated tool. If you have any recommended reading material to help me along the way please let me know. My main interests are wildlife (often with rapid movement) and the stunning scenery we have here in Australia. I agonised between the S1 and the HS50 before deciding to go with the latest and greatest zoom.

Dicky.

DickyAus's gear list:DickyAus's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix HS50 EXR Olympus E-M1 Olympus M.Zuiko ED 75-300mm 1:4.8-6.7 II Olympus 12-40mm F2.8
MitchyK7
Regular MemberPosts: 131
Like?
In reply to DickyAus, Apr 26, 2013

Good reading material, the Digital Photography Field guide i found indispensable while learning more about my cameras. It's a few years old now and you can get it on amazon for a couple of pounds UK sterling. Very cheap, and it explains why you should choose different settings, how they work and it has specific instructions for action/landscape/macro etc. It's a great book to understand your camera its a little book so you can take everywhere with you. I've had my copy for about 4 years and it's still relevant, and helpful!

This is a link to amazon with used and new copies;

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/offer-listing/0321220544/sr=/qid=/ref=olp_tab_used?ie=UTF8&colid=&coliid=&condition=used&me=&qid=&seller=&sr=

Most of them ship internationally, and i can't recommend this book enough!

I started out with a kodak 35mm camera, and had various cameras along the way. My dad stuck with his Zorki, which he still has now. And his little darkroom kit. I currently have several digital compacts, My HS50 and an old Agfa Silette with a Gossen Sixty light meter! I still use the light meter even now.

LTZ470
Forum ProPosts: 10,448
Like?
In reply to DickyAus, Apr 26, 2013

DickyAus wrote:

-- hide signature --

--Really there is a God...and He loves you..
FlickR Photostream:
www.flickr.com/photos/46756347@N08/
Mr Ichiro Kitao, I support the call to upgrade the FZ50.
I will not only buy one but two no questions asked...

Sactojim
Senior MemberPosts: 3,054
Like?
In reply to LTZ470, Apr 26, 2013

Awesome moon LTZ! Here's one from the Nikon P510 taken last night (4/25).

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads