D7100 or K-5IIs

Started Apr 23, 2013 | Discussions
Cosmo Not
Junior MemberPosts: 28
Like?
Re: D7100 or K-5IIs
In reply to mistermejia, Apr 24, 2013

Great points about the brands. I'm completely new to pentax but I am so glad I made the move. I will however disagree with one point of yours. More MP isn't always a bane. I often use cropping as added zoom. I switched over from canon and I would have loved to own some of their pro glass but dang is that long stuff spendy. The k-5 IIs seems so sharp at the pixel that one can make up for some lens shortcomings. I will be eagerly waiting to see what Pentax does next and wouldn't mind a 24MP filterless offering.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
mistermejia
Senior MemberPosts: 2,862Gear list
Like?
Re: D7100 or K-5IIs
In reply to Cosmo Not, Apr 24, 2013

Cosmo Not wrote:

Great points about the brands. I'm completely new to pentax but I am so glad I made the move. I will however disagree with one point of yours. More MP isn't always a bane. I often use cropping as added zoom. I switched over from canon and I would have loved to own some of their pro glass but dang is that long stuff spendy. The k-5 IIs seems so sharp at the pixel that one can make up for some lens shortcomings. I will be eagerly waiting to see what Pentax does next and wouldn't mind a 24MP filterless offering.

I don't think i said something for you to have to disagree with me.  What kind of work or photography do you do?  If you "need" it then yes, YOU do need it, but most people don't, 16MP is plenty, even a 12MP camera.  I have printed 20x30 portrait frames of my family and believe me, that's all you need.  Another thing i learned is that for portrait photography application you don't even need a camera that has to be super sharp.  The photos with the D7000 alone i had to soften them because they were showing too much detail/imperfections on the skin, so why would i "need" a D7100 for this??  You know what i mean?

I also think that the quality of the camera/sensor is also more important than the MP quantity.  I took photos with a Nikon 24MP D3200 and with a 16MP D5100, the 16MP looks better.

 mistermejia's gear list:mistermejia's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix S5 Pro Fujifilm X-E1 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Rokinon 85mm F1.4 +4 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
GordonBGood
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,274
Like?
Re: Comparison only valid for default JPEG's...
In reply to bettyswolloks, Apr 25, 2013

bettyswolloks wrote:

GordonBGood wrote:

The below DPR comparison is valid only for default settings for Out Of the Camera (OOC) JPEG's as to Noise Reduction (NR) and sharpening at high ISO sensitivities, not for JPEG's with other in-camera settings nor especially for JPEG's converted from raw data files:  http://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/51297982

bettyswolloks wrote:

So the straight out of camera results are of no importance?

Straight out of the camera results may be important, but wouldn't you agree that generally you wouldn't use the default settings just as the camera is shipped if one wasn't happy with those results?

In order to match the Pentax K-5 IIs resolution at ISO 6400, the Nikon D7100 needs to have its JPEG Noise Reduction (NR) turned down and perhaps the sharpness turned up a little.

OTOH, in order to match the more natural colours of the Nikon, most Pentax users find that they need to either use the Natural colour mode rather than the Bright one or turn down Saturation and perhaps tweak the Sharpness settings a little for less halos at 100% view such as these.

My point is that every camera may need some adjustments to the default JPEG settings in order to produce comparable JPEG images and that those adjustments are not done for DPR's JPEG comparisons as the default camera settings are used, meaning that the JPEG comparisons are relatively useless and only the raw comparisons where attempts are made to use the same conversion settings are really valid as to judging sensor image quality.

I am a Pentax user and fan, but I believe it is wrong to call the Nikon D7100 a bad camera based on image quality from this JPEG comparison using default settings.

GordonBGood

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
photomy
Junior MemberPosts: 39
Like?
Re: D7100 or K-5IIs
In reply to SMACRAE, Apr 25, 2013

Biggest difference between the two bodies is Pentax has in-body image stabilization.  This is a large advantage in my opinion.  I own Nikon D700 and five very good lenses - 4 AF and one manual focus.  None have stabilization built in.  Also, Nikon D7100 has greater resolution and newer sensor.

Forget about number of AF "zones".

"The other big issue to me with the current K-5 (including last fall's upgrades) is the limited AF zones -- which Nikon has increased on its new cameras, yet Pentax chose to not increase (even though Nikon already had it beat on the older cameras) on the K-5II upgrades. A maximum of 11 AF zones just doesn't get it, I don't think -- especially not when Nikon's equivalents are now past 50 zones, and were already at 39."

Most people use one AF focus point.  11 is plenty if they work well.  The key is how well the one or maybe 9/21 central points actually work in low light.  Nikon may have slight advantage as to AF.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Kyogle
Regular MemberPosts: 492Gear list
Like?
Re: D7100 or K-5IIs
In reply to Underdog 3000, Apr 25, 2013

Underdog 3000 wrote:

Lastly, you have written about this before.  It's time to put on your big boy pants.  Order a K-5IIs and a D7100 at the same time.  Play with them a lot for about three weeks without injury and return the loser.  Most online retailers (Adorama) will do full refund.

Then next we will be reading posts  from the buyer of your reject about 'new' camera that has a not-new shutter count. In UK and in Australia we do not do this type of thing. Not fair in my opinion.

-- hide signature --

David, an Australian living in the Highlands of Scotland a few months each year.

 Kyogle's gear list:Kyogle's gear list
Fujifilm X20 Pentax K-5 IIs Fujifilm X-E2 Sigma 10-20mm F4-5.6 EX DC HSM Sigma 50mm F1.4 EX DG HSM +12 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Cosmo Not
Junior MemberPosts: 28
Like?
Re: D7100 or K-5IIs
In reply to mistermejia, Apr 25, 2013

"Remember that high MP don't mean ANYTHING unless you are printing super large prints, so don't fall into that mumble jumbo nonsense that is going around."

I was just referring to this statement. I dont use my cameras for sales as it's only a hobby for now, but that doesn't diminish my needs any. I was just conveying the idea that more MP, and sharper pixels, will allow one to crop, effectively giving you a longer lens. I dont have to print large to appreciate higher resolution. And portraitry may not benefit from super sharp pixel level detail, but birding does. These points are reason enough for me to disagree, I dont consider it mumbo jumbo nonsense. Plz don't take offense, but we all have different needs.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
maxola67
Regular MemberPosts: 111Gear list
Like?
Re: D7100 or K-5IIs
In reply to SMACRAE, Apr 25, 2013

Hi.

I bought k5-II 2 months ago as a replacement for my K20(sold it :-().

It's  very consistent gear. All you need are at their places. AF is much better when comparing to K20.

Ergonomic and appearance are unparallel in its class IMO.

Only little drawback for me is its size. My old K20 put in my hands more comfortably but now i can carry a little more in my bag.

 maxola67's gear list:maxola67's gear list
Pentax K-5 II Pentax smc FA 50mm F1.4 Pentax smc DA* 16-50mm F2.8 ED AL (IF) SDM Pentax smc DA 55-300mm F4.0-5.8 ED
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
mistermejia
Senior MemberPosts: 2,862Gear list
Like?
Re: D7100 or K-5IIs
In reply to Cosmo Not, Apr 25, 2013

Cosmo Not wrote:

"Remember that high MP don't mean ANYTHING unless you are printing super large prints, so don't fall into that mumble jumbo nonsense that is going around."

I was just referring to this statement. I dont use my cameras for sales as it's only a hobby for now, but that doesn't diminish my needs any. I was just conveying the idea that more MP, and sharper pixels, will allow one to crop, effectively giving you a longer lens. I dont have to print large to appreciate higher resolution. And portraitry may not benefit from super sharp pixel level detail, but birding does. These points are reason enough for me to disagree, I dont consider it mumbo jumbo nonsense. Plz don't take offense, but we all have different needs.

What's up Cosmo!  No i am not offended at all

But you are right, for birding the D7100 is very good.  I never shoot birds.

 mistermejia's gear list:mistermejia's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix S5 Pro Fujifilm X-E1 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Rokinon 85mm F1.4 +4 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
nj19751
Junior MemberPosts: 28
Like?
Re: D7100 or K-5IIs
In reply to SMACRAE, Apr 25, 2013

I had a similar dilema in January but was between the D7000 and the K5 II - I spent a while going backwards and forwards to a local camera shop who were great in letting me spend time looking at and handling the various DSLRs in that price range.  I went with the K5II because I liked it's more compact size and also that it is well known for it's weather resistance which was important for me as I planned to take it to Burma with me.  It's my first DSLR and I absolutely love the results I've so far got from it...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/67567700@N02/sets/72157632836022892/ (the ones labelled Burma are with the Pentax K5; the ones labelled Burma 2011 are with a bridge camera).

Good luck with your decision making - I spent ages trying to decide and as soon as I had bought it I wished I had got it sooner!!!!

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Brad99
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,030
Like?
Re: D7100 or K-5IIs
In reply to JeffAHayes, Apr 25, 2013

JeffAHayes wrote:


The other big issue to me with the current K-5 (including last fall's upgrades) is the limited AF zones -- which Nikon has increased on its new cameras, yet Pentax chose to not increase (even though Nikon already had it beat on the older cameras) on the K-5II upgrades. A maximum of 11 AF zones just doesn't get it, I don't think -- especially not when Nikon's equivalents are now past 50 zones, and were already at 39.

I agree it's time for Pentax to move on and give us more AF sensors, but the D7100 AF isn't perfection.  There's only 15 AF cross sensors in the D7100, orientated mainly central and vertically.  Seems a waste to me, horizontal would be better, and the other line sensors can easily be coaxed into not focusing from what I've heard so I wouldn't rate it that highly.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
elise soussana
Forum MemberPosts: 54Gear list
Like?
Re: D7100 or K-5IIs
In reply to SMACRAE, Apr 25, 2013

I sold my Nikon D3s for the D7100,then I bought the Pentax K5 iis and I was shocked. I love it almost like the D3s and definitly more then D7100. The Color ( 1.04 Firmware) are more real and the sharpness is much much better. I will not exchange it even for the Nikon D600.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Genes Pentax
Contributing MemberPosts: 998
Like?
Re: D7100 or K-5IIs
In reply to SMACRAE, Apr 26, 2013

SMACRAE wrote:

Was ready again to pull the trigger but then the D7100 confused matters...

I guess the question is ... why are you confused?

If you think D7100 may be better, what is making you think that?  Just because it has more pixels?

BTW - I just saw the DPReview's review and when looking at the RAW photos, it seems K-5IIs is just as sharp if not more so than D7100 at higher ISOs.  I personally wouldn't trade the high ISO performance of K-5IIs for more pixels of D7100.

BTW - if funds are issue for you, consider K-01 also.  It's a real bargain and picture quality is very good also.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Ben O Connor
Contributing MemberPosts: 820Gear list
Like?
D7100 or K-5IIs...... OR K-30 ?
In reply to Genes Pentax, Apr 26, 2013

I am also asking the smilar questions , but for a different camera; K-30

it has dream features for me, on video sides it downs a bit. But i still dont know, is it " a bad video recorder"  or "bad video shower" platform. Forexample, Nikon 7100 review, it got 85 points (its even more than D800, and its the top of any camera i dream from nikon) but they still don´t recommend it for video.

A cam which has built in stereo mic, has a mic socket, has a headphone possibility with HDMI possibility, does not  recommended to videographer... so i should not worry about it too much i guess. Better to buy a gopro, or sony action cam, and attaching it do down of the pentax K-30 via its tripod grid i guess...

I also check these photo comparison on, nikon 7100, canon 60D and pentax k-30 and my p&s olympus XZ-1 i genuenly can say, k-30 is the best, and oly bring the second best in both raw and jepg (up to iso 400) and up to iso 3200 pentax shines the top and olympus xz-1 dissapears.

Anyway, I still believe that k-30 and whole pentax lens family is nice and affordable for my neccesities, I am just waiting for some possible K-30s, and wish to see a wi-fi capabilites and HDMI inlet to show my footage on LCD tv´s directly to family and friends etc. I am not a fan of GPS thing, why would i want to share things without my control ? Maybe i will take some under thread creature´s foto in the wilderness nd don´t want to share further info than "its appearance!" anyway, wifi would be nice to use it from 200 metres far as a remote trigger etc.

If you are on a tight budget (as i am) and want to have flexibility (real weather sealed, don´t have carry batteries all the time, go to remote village grocer on the Tibet and find AA batteries and located to your cam and keep using it in next 300 shots!) Pentax K-30 is the Answer.K-5 IIs must be a dream land compare to Nikon D7000 or D7100

Ben

 Ben O Connor's gear list:Ben O Connor's gear list
Olympus XZ-1 Olympus PEN E-PM1 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 17mm 1:2.8 Pancake Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 +4 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
mistermejia
Senior MemberPosts: 2,862Gear list
Like?
Re: D7100 or K-5IIs...... OR K-30 ?
In reply to Ben O Connor, Apr 26, 2013

Ben O Connor wrote:

I am also asking the smilar questions , but for a different camera; K-30

it has dream features for me, on video sides it downs a bit. But i still dont know, is it " a bad video recorder"  or "bad video shower" platform. Forexample, Nikon 7100 review, it got 85 points (its even more than D800, and its the top of any camera i dream from nikon) but they still don´t recommend it for video.

A cam which has built in stereo mic, has a mic socket, has a headphone possibility with HDMI possibility, does not  recommended to videographer... so i should not worry about it too much i guess. Better to buy a gopro, or sony action cam, and attaching it do down of the pentax K-30 via its tripod grid i guess...

I also check these photo comparison on, nikon 7100, canon 60D and pentax k-30 and my p&s olympus XZ-1 i genuenly can say, k-30 is the best, and oly bring the second best in both raw and jepg (up to iso 400) and up to iso 3200 pentax shines the top and olympus xz-1 dissapears.

Anyway, I still believe that k-30 and whole pentax lens family is nice and affordable for my neccesities, I am just waiting for some possible K-30s, and wish to see a wi-fi capabilites and HDMI inlet to show my footage on LCD tv´s directly to family and friends etc. I am not a fan of GPS thing, why would i want to share things without my control ? Maybe i will take some under thread creature´s foto in the wilderness nd don´t want to share further info than "its appearance!" anyway, wifi would be nice to use it from 200 metres far as a remote trigger etc.

If you are on a tight budget (as i am) and want to have flexibility (real weather sealed, don´t have carry batteries all the time, go to remote village grocer on the Tibet and find AA batteries and located to your cam and keep using it in next 300 shots!) Pentax K-30 is the Answer.K-5 IIs must be a dream land compare to Nikon D7000 or D7100

Ben

Hi Ben, i am also shopping around for something new and different and i am still trying to stay open for a diffeent brand.  Recently i sold my nikon D7000 and bought Fuji S5.  Can you explain more and provide more details as to why you have said that you "genuenly can say K30 is best"?  What makes this camera best?  I thought K5IIs was the best?  It looks like you have already compared different brand photos, so what makes the K30 the best?

For a while now i have been reading really good things about pentax in general, but the other day i went to my local Samy's Camera store i asked them about pentax and the guy just laughed at me and he said nobody buys pentax stuff, although they do sell them there.  I guess it is true what i have read in this forums here, that pentax doesn not "advertise" their stuff very well, and apparently, they don't sell very well either.  I wonder how they stay in business.

The D7100 looks like is really kicking ass, but i personally "preffer" Fuji for its colors, but their newer modern cameras are just too slow for me for what they cost.  I would like to hear more from you.

 mistermejia's gear list:mistermejia's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix S5 Pro Fujifilm X-E1 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Rokinon 85mm F1.4 +4 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
rogerstpierre
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,424Gear list
Like?
Re: D7100 or K-5IIs...... OR K-30 ?
In reply to mistermejia, Apr 26, 2013

mistermejia wrote:...went to my local Samy's Camera store i asked them about pentax and the guy just laughed at me and he said nobody buys pentax stuff, although they do sell them there...

With an attitude like that, you wont see me buying ANYTHING at Samy's Camera !  What a jerk !

-- hide signature --

Roger

 rogerstpierre's gear list:rogerstpierre's gear list
Pentax smc DA 21mm F3.2 AL Limited Pentax Optio 33WR Samsung TL500 Pentax K10D Pentax K-01 +16 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Petroglyph
Senior MemberPosts: 2,999Gear list
Like?
Re: D7100 or K-5IIs - my assessment
In reply to SMACRAE, Apr 26, 2013

Here is my assessment. I've shot the K5 for two seasons but I've used Nikon digital bodies for about 8 years now. I will be replacing my Nikon backup with a D7100 but not giving up the K5. These are things important to me. YMMV

Best Walk around lens: Nikkor 16-85mm VR, D7100 +1

All metal lighter smaller WR body, K5IIs +1

Bright pentaprism VF, K5IIs +1

9 AF points to focus in -3ev, K5IIs +1

2 SD card slots, D7100 +1

Best FA limited primes, K5IIs +1

Programmable Micro 4/3rds at 16mp w FP spread, D7100 +1

Will write DNG and Raw processing in LR, K5IIs +1

51 pt focus tracking, D7100 +1

Quiet shutter nearly as good as the buttery Canon 6D, K5IIs +1

40 click lens AF micro adjustment, D7100 +1

Automatic minimum shutter speed for variable length lenses, D7100 +1

In body SR, K5IIs +1

Hmm, hurry up and bring out that new APS/C Pentax now that I think about it.

 Petroglyph's gear list:Petroglyph's gear list
Canon EOS 6D Pentax K-3 Pentax smc DA* 60-250mm F4.0 ED (IF) SDM Sigma 35mm F1.4 DG HSM Canon EF 16-35mm f/4L IS USM
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Ben O Connor
Contributing MemberPosts: 820Gear list
Like?
Re: D7100 or K-5IIs...... OR K-30 ?
In reply to mistermejia, Apr 26, 2013

mistermejia wrote:

Ben O Connor wrote:

I am also asking the smilar questions , but for a different camera; K-30

it has dream features for me, on video sides it downs a bit. But i still dont know, is it " a bad video recorder"  or "bad video shower" platform. Forexample, Nikon 7100 review, it got 85 points (its even more than D800, and its the top of any camera i dream from nikon) but they still don´t recommend it for video.

A cam which has built in stereo mic, has a mic socket, has a headphone possibility with HDMI possibility, does not  recommended to videographer... so i should not worry about it too much i guess. Better to buy a gopro, or sony action cam, and attaching it do down of the pentax K-30 via its tripod grid i guess...

I also check these photo comparison on, nikon 7100, canon 60D and pentax k-30 and my p&s olympus XZ-1 i genuenly can say, k-30 is the best, and oly bring the second best in both raw and jepg (up to iso 400) and up to iso 3200 pentax shines the top and olympus xz-1 dissapears.

Anyway, I still believe that k-30 and whole pentax lens family is nice and affordable for my neccesities, I am just waiting for some possible K-30s, and wish to see a wi-fi capabilites and HDMI inlet to show my footage on LCD tv´s directly to family and friends etc. I am not a fan of GPS thing, why would i want to share things without my control ? Maybe i will take some under thread creature´s foto in the wilderness nd don´t want to share further info than "its appearance!" anyway, wifi would be nice to use it from 200 metres far as a remote trigger etc.

If you are on a tight budget (as i am) and want to have flexibility (real weather sealed, don´t have carry batteries all the time, go to remote village grocer on the Tibet and find AA batteries and located to your cam and keep using it in next 300 shots!) Pentax K-30 is the Answer.K-5 IIs must be a dream land compare to Nikon D7000 or D7100

Ben

Hi Ben, i am also shopping around for something new and different and i am still trying to stay open for a diffeent brand.  Recently i sold my nikon D7000 and bought Fuji S5.  Can you explain more and provide more details as to why you have said that you "genuenly can say K30 is best"?  What makes this camera best?  I thought K5IIs was the best?  It looks like you have already compared different brand photos, so what makes the K30 the best?

For a while now i have been reading really good things about pentax in general, but the other day i went to my local Samy's Camera store i asked them about pentax and the guy just laughed at me and he said nobody buys pentax stuff, although they do sell them there.  I guess it is true what i have read in this forums here, that pentax doesn not "advertise" their stuff very well, and apparently, they don't sell very well either.  I wonder how they stay in business.

The D7100 looks like is really kicking ass, but i personally "preffer" Fuji for its colors, but their newer modern cameras are just too slow for me for what they cost.  I would like to hear more from you.

Simple;

More camera for your money , is pentax K-30. I

 Ben O Connor's gear list:Ben O Connor's gear list
Olympus XZ-1 Olympus PEN E-PM1 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 17mm 1:2.8 Pancake Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 +4 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
jamesm007
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,457Gear list
Like?
Re: D7100 or K-5IIs
In reply to SMACRAE, Apr 26, 2013

The review of the D7100 shows the Nikon in a different photographic/tool category lower than the Pentax K5(s). The sealing in any of Pentax WR dSLRs is air, dust, rain/splash tight. In all reality truly PRO level. Built for some hard knocks (not advisable however to any dSLR). Many of the lens are very low cost to maintain that sealing. The DA18-55mm WR receives a little bit too much negative user and PRO reviews. Almost all say its a good lens (in the center its sharper than the DA*300mm) but its also a tremendous bargain as is the DA35mm f/2.4 AL. for less than $400 you have two lens; a weather resistant metal mount pretty good quality zoom lens that covers a nice range. Its by far the most reliable kit lens due to its lack of IS and AF motors. It does have a  metal mount, and strong build compared to Canon/Nikon; IMO. Just see which lens are around 15 years from now. The DA35mm F/2.4 although not WR gives you PRO quality optics. I mean you can't get much better than this. Yea you can buy better but not many humans would see the extra $800 your paid for a lens to beat this one. Its a optical bargain, by far the best optical IQ bargain IMO.

But back to the D7100 versus the K5IIs. If you read DPR review you will find it states the D7100 is not sealed as well as the K5 and hints at lower build quality. You will have to read the review and see if you agree or not. Also it kinda states and shows the D7100 softening at mid/high ISO levels. I have not tested this to say if I agree.

Now in keeping with my new view of the cameras business, and trying to be honest. Yes I am a Pentax fan boy, yes but I saw the light a couple years ago (hard to explain). What am I saying?

None of the above cons of the Nikon D7100 versus the Pentax K5s would stop me from buying the Nikon D7100 if it met my needs. The Pentax system has some cons. Do you want top notch flash, look at Nikons from what I have seen so far. You live in the USA and want to see and touch and be able to buy local. Well Pentax is hard to find. In return for being hard to find it does offer more bang for the buck however.

So some 7 years ago I decided to go from digital pro-sumer P/S cameras to more expensive dSLRs. My pick was the Pentax K10D because it felt better than the Sony A100.   For years I was a hard core Pentax fanboy. Now, I am still a fan of Pentax (a fanboy) but understand there is always better or another IMO, and wait a few moments and even Pentax will make my dSLR (the K20D and K5) look backwards. All dSLRs are superb today IMO Just pick the one that makes you most happy when paying for it, even if you have to spend a few extra dollars, travel to see them, and look at lens you want if you can.

Let us know if you want. But good hunting

 jamesm007's gear list:jamesm007's gear list
Pentax K20D Pentax K-5 Sigma 10-20mm F4-5.6 EX DC HSM Pentax smc DA 55-300mm F4.0-5.8 ED Sigma 17-70mm F2.8-4 DC Macro OS HSM +9 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
audiobomber
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,274Gear list
Like?
Re: D7100 or K-5IIs...... OR K-30 ?
In reply to rogerstpierre, Apr 27, 2013

rogerstpierre wrote:

mistermejia wrote:...went to my local Samy's Camera store i asked them about pentax and the guy just laughed at me and he said nobody buys pentax stuff, although they do sell them there...

With an attitude like that, you wont see me buying ANYTHING at Samy's Camera !  What a jerk !

People who are affected by statements like that should not buy Pentax. The happy Pentax shooters are the ones who know exactly why they shoot Pentax and can quietly laugh at the detractors.

Just because more people buy something, it must be the best? LOL!

-- hide signature --

Dan

 audiobomber's gear list:audiobomber's gear list
Pentax K-3 Sony a6000 Pentax K20D Pentax smc DA 15mm F4 ED AL Limited Pentax smc FA 50mm F1.4 +15 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
audiobomber
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,274Gear list
Like?
Re: D7100 or K-5IIs - my assessment
In reply to Petroglyph, Apr 27, 2013

Petroglyph wrote:

Here is my assessment. I've shot the K5 for two seasons but I've used Nikon digital bodies for about 8 years now. I will be replacing my Nikon backup with a D7100 but not giving up the K5. These are things important to me. YMMV

Best Walk around lens: Nikkor 16-85mm VR, D7100 +1

All metal lighter smaller WR body, K5IIs +1

Bright pentaprism VF, K5IIs +1

9 AF points to focus in -3ev, K5IIs +1

2 SD card slots, D7100 +1

Best FA limited primes, K5IIs +1

Programmable Micro 4/3rds at 16mp w FP spread, D7100 +1

Will write DNG and Raw processing in LR, K5IIs +1

51 pt focus tracking, D7100 +1

Quiet shutter nearly as good as the buttery Canon 6D, K5IIs +1

40 click lens AF micro adjustment, D7100 +1

Automatic minimum shutter speed for variable length lenses, D7100 +1

In body SR, K5IIs +1

Hmm, hurry up and bring out that new APS/C Pentax now that I think about it.

Pentax for small lenses and pancakes

Affordable WR lenses

I don't think the D7100 has pixel mapping?

-- hide signature --

Dan

 audiobomber's gear list:audiobomber's gear list
Pentax K-3 Sony a6000 Pentax K20D Pentax smc DA 15mm F4 ED AL Limited Pentax smc FA 50mm F1.4 +15 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads