Which prime lens would be your pick in the 28-35mm range?

Started Apr 23, 2013 | Discussions
MirekE
Contributing MemberPosts: 820
Like?
Re: Which prime lens would be your pick in the 28-35mm range?
In reply to FChris180, Apr 27, 2013

I am looking for a prime lens in the 28-35mm range for my Canon 6d  as a walk-around for reportage and landscape work (I would also like to include the Zeiss distagon 25mm f2 in the list even if it's a bit too much on the wide side).

I was looking into Canon, Sigma and Zeiss (no AF is not a major issue and I am aware of field curvature with some lenses as the Zeiss 28mm f2).

Canon 28/2.8 IS

Canon 35/2 IS

Sigma 35/1.4

Zeiss distagon 28/2 or 35/2 (in case even the 25/2)

Which would be your personal choice?

My personal choice, Zeiss 35/1.4 is not on your list. The lens has excellent bokeh and typical Zeiss micro-contrast stopped down and therefore is great for both people photography and landscape. Compared to the aforementioned 28/2 ZE and 35/2 ZE it has notably less CA, vignetting and field curvature. It is also bigger.

I think all your options are great and it only depends on wether size is important and if you prefer speed (useful for available light people photography) vs. IS (useful for handheld landscapes) and if you need specific rendering similar to your other lenses.

Do you think that the new IS prime lenses from Canon - 28mm IS and 35mm IS - together with the Sigma 35mm 1.4 can provide a quite similar micro-contrast and rendition as the Zeiss lenses?

Not quite similar, no. These lenses have different rendering.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
CrapCamera
Regular MemberPosts: 138Gear list
Like?
In reply to FChris180, Apr 27, 2013

I have the zeiss 25/2 and the canon 35/1.4L
For landscapes I choose the zeiss, the micro contrast, colour & sharpness are outstanding, and beautiful blur.

It is not too wide for people shots

More here http://www.flickr.com/photos/richardmayston/sets/72157632704709145/with/8501974287/

The canon 35/1.4L I use for people shots in groups, where the AF is useful.
It has pretty good colour & micro contrast.

More here http://www.flickr.com/photos/richardmayston/sets/72157627512283963/

>Do you think that the new IS prime lenses from Canon - 28mm IS and 35mm IS
>- together with the Sigma 35mm 1.4 can provide a quite similar micro-contrast and
> rendition as the Zeiss lenses?

Not a chance.
Get the zeiss 25/2, it will last you a life time & you will love the results every time you use it.

CrapCamera's gear list:CrapCamera's gear list
Canon PowerShot S80 Canon PowerShot S95 Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EF 35mm f/1.4L USM Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II +11 more
JLim22
Regular MemberPosts: 297Gear list
Like?
Re: Huh?
In reply to ed rader, Apr 28, 2013

With the new Art series and the USB dock, I'm not sure what people are worried about...

But it's your preference and money. Get what makes you happy.

JLim22's gear list:JLim22's gear list
Sony RX100 II Canon EOS 6D Canon EF 24mm f/1.4L II USM Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM Sigma 15mm F2.8 EX DG Diagonal Fisheye +2 more
arty H
Senior MemberPosts: 1,010
Like?
Re: Huh?
In reply to JLim22, Apr 28, 2013

I would get the Canon 35F2IS. I rarely need a wider aperture than F2, and you have great ISO performance on the 6D. The IS could be useful for very lowlight shooting, and the Canon will give you fast and accurate AF.

ed rader
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,006
Like?
In reply to MirekE, Apr 28, 2013

so what is your experience with the lenses he mentioned?

ed rader
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,006
Like?
In reply to CrapCamera, Apr 28, 2013

so you've tried these lenses, then?

FChris180
New MemberPosts: 17
Like?
In reply to MirekE, May 12, 2013

Thanks for your reply. I read about the Zeiss 35/1.4 - i am sure is optically better - but it is a bit out of budget and I prefer the smaller size of the other two Zeiss.

I am really tempted by the Zeiss rendering even if features as IS and AF can be critical in some situations - low light and handhelded shots.

FChris180
Like?
Re: the 28 f2.8 IS is sharp.....
In reply to ed rader, May 12, 2013

Hi Ed, Thanks for your replies and insights. These little Canon lenses seem to be really good!

sean lancaster
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,337Gear list
Like?
Re: If for reportage work...
In reply to sean lancaster, May 12, 2013

sean lancaster wrote:

If I was going to pay for the Canon 35/2 IS then I would easily choose the Sigma 35/1.4 instead. I have no desire to have IS in a FF 35mm focal length. Even 50 is pushing it as to whether IS would benefit my shooting. 85mm and greater, sure.

But I wanted small with the good quality and decided on the older Canon 35/2 and I find it to be a great value.

Follow up, I decided to get the extra stop of light and the better quality wide open so I now happily own the Sigma 35/1.4.

sean lancaster's gear list:sean lancaster's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-5N Sony Alpha 7 Voigtlander 35mm F1.2 Nokton Sony FE 55mm F1.8 +2 more
FChris180
Like?
In reply to CrapCamera, May 12, 2013

Great shots! I am sure the 25/2 is a great lens with a strong drawing style - I just feel the focal length a bit too wide for my taste + I am bit worried by the field curvature for landscape work. thanks for sharing your opinion,

Chris.

FChris180
Like?
Re: If for reportage work...
In reply to sean lancaster, May 12, 2013

Thanks Sean, Enjoy the new lens!

FChris180
Like?
In reply to FChris180, May 12, 2013

Hi all,

sorry for the late replies. Thanks for sharing your opinions. I will keep you updated with my final choice

Lemming51
Forum ProPosts: 12,737Gear list
Like?
even with the USB dock ...
In reply to JLim22, May 13, 2013

JLim22 wrote:

With the new Art series and the USB dock, I'm not sure what people are worried about...

That makes it only slightly less inconvenient should an incompatibility appear with a future EOS body.  While you won't have to pack your lens off to Sigma for re-chipping and wait for its return, you could still be stuck with a non-functioning lens for weeks while you wait for Sigma to diagnose, fix and post the corrected firmware for download.

But it's your preference and money. Get what makes you happy.

True that.  Lots of bang for the buck with Sigma.  If you're not an "early adopter" then any future incompatibility isn't going to directly affect you anyway.

-- hide signature --

Unapologetic Canon Apologist

Lemming51's gear list:Lemming51's gear list
Canon EOS 40D Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Canon EF-S 15-85mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L USM +5 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads