successor to the Lumix DMC-FZ200?

Started Apr 23, 2013 | Questions
Blue Egypt
New MemberPosts: 2Gear list
Like?
successor to the Lumix DMC-FZ200?
Apr 23, 2013

Hi all,
I was wondering whether there has been any official word from Panasonic or any kind of reliable inside information as far as a follow-up model in the bridge camera line goes. Can we expect a follow-up model to the Lumix DMC-FZ200 still this year? Are there any details as to the release time and specifications of such a successor? (It might be relevant in this context to know what release cycle Panasonic was on for this camera line before, which most people here probably know much better than I do.)
I'm currently eyeballing the purchase of a FZ200 as a general purpose compact camera that I would also especially want to use for some video work. So, it would be interesting for me to know whether a successor is already around the corner and whether I should possibly just wait a little longer. 
Thanks in advance & best regards!

Blue Egypt's gear list:Blue Egypt's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-T7 Canon PowerShot S95 Canon EOS D30 Canon EOS 10D Canon EF 24mm f/2.8 +4 more
ANSWER:
windmillgolfer
Senior MemberPosts: 8,742Gear list
Like?
Re: successor to the Lumix DMC-FZ200?
In reply to Blue Egypt, Apr 23, 2013

Many are waiting to see what the FZ250 will add or improve compared to the FZ200.  The expectation is that it will be announced around the 18th of July - a year after the FZ200.  No real rumours as to what the spec will be but I'd be less than surprised to see WiFi functionality a la TZ40/ZS30.  Hopefully there will be IQ improvements, not that the FZ200 has any particular problem there. As an FZ150 owner, I eagerly await the announcement.

-- hide signature --
 windmillgolfer's gear list:windmillgolfer's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX7 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ50 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200 Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS40 (TZ60) Panasonic Lumix DMC-G6
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
JackB817
New MemberPosts: 13
Like?
In reply to Blue Egypt, Apr 23, 2013
selected answer This post was selected as the answer by the original poster.
Blue Egypt
Like?
In reply to JackB817, Apr 24, 2013

Thanks. I guess the consensus is that there will definitely be a release within the FZ product line this summer. I've come to the conclusion that this probably won't change my plans to get the FZ200 now, as I simply want to start working with it and have a few hobby projects lined up that I will need it for. Hopefully the features and improvements on the successor won't make me feel too bitter.  

As long as they are just gimmicks that I don't care about, like WIFI and GPS, I'll be fine...

Blue Egypt's gear list:Blue Egypt's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-T7 Canon PowerShot S95 Canon EOS D30 Canon EOS 10D Canon EF 24mm f/2.8 +4 more
TheDigitalCruiser
New MemberPosts: 16Gear list
Like?
In reply to Blue Egypt, Jun 10, 2013

I think your judgement is sound about getting the FZ200 now, unless a successor model  almost immediately.  I think the FZ200 is an unappreciated gem that is probably the best travel camera you can buy today.  I tested it for my blog, cruises-and-cameras.com, and I've used it extensively on a cruise in Patagonia where the 600mm optical zoom makes it batter than any Nikon or Canon for use in wildlife photography (see my penguin shot on the blog) or when shooting shore scenes from a cruise ship or from the middle of a river.  The 2.8 constant aperature lens makes it great for street photography or theater photography.

Further, the 13x19" prints I've made with it are truly SHARP and high ISO's are fine as long as you don't go beyond ASA 800.

Although the FZ200 is truly world-class and I prefer it for cruise photography over my Olympus OM-D, the Fujifilm X100, or the RX100 (all of which I used in Patagonia or on a cruise to Iceland), due to its unbelievably versatile lens and light weight.

Still, I'll buy an "FZ250" in a heartbeat, and hopefully it will have an eye-sensor to switch automatically from the LCD to the EVF; wireless communications with iPhones: an LCD similar to the Sony X100's which can be more easily seen in bright sunlight;  weather-proof construction similar to the OM-D's, and a sensor that is  larger or improved to handle higher ASA situations.  If an FZ250 with these specs were available, I'd happily pay $799 for it in a heartbeat!

All rights reserved by Steven Frankel  and cruises-and-cameras.com

Try shooting this with a DSLR or with any camera weighing less than a pound, including the lens.  It was shot from a blind about 40-50 feet from the penguins at 600 mm and I shot it either entirely hand-held or possibly braced on the top of the blind.

TheDigitalCruiser's gear list:TheDigitalCruiser's gear list
Olympus E-M1
Display Name
Regular MemberPosts: 135
Like?
In reply to TheDigitalCruiser, Jun 10, 2013

are you sure the focal length wasn't 108 on the penguins ?????

Timj351
Senior MemberPosts: 1,919
Like?
In reply to Display Name, Jun 10, 2013

Display Name wrote:

are you sure the focal length wasn't 108 on the penguins ?????

It's just displaying the 'actual' focal length of 108mm. The 35mm equivalent length is 600mm. This is due to the relatively small sensor in the FZ200 compared to that of a full frame 35mm sensor.

-Tim

Rodger1943
Senior MemberPosts: 3,558Gear list
Like?
In reply to TheDigitalCruiser, Jun 10, 2013

Well said and shot. I agree with everything you say.

-- hide signature --

Panasonic FZ200

Rodger1943's gear list:Rodger1943's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ1000 +2 more
Jerrich
Senior MemberPosts: 2,462Gear list
Like?
In reply to Rodger1943, Jun 11, 2013

I also vote to buy one now.  For one thing, you can always sell it later and maybe even make some money! (Have you priced fz150's?) Also there is no guarantee that a successor will be better.  There was a huge debate on image quality when most cameras dropped the ccd and went to cmos.  Don't know if that was ever resolved.  Prices have dropped recently on the 200 and it is easy to pick up a (relative) bargain.  Cheers.

JR

-- hide signature --

Nikon F (Sold)
Argus C44R (gorgeous)(Sold)
Fuji S100fs(Sold)
Canon A20, A80, A710, A650, G11
Panny FZ200

Jerrich's gear list:Jerrich's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200 Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS25 Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS40 (TZ60)
JohnGilPet
New MemberPosts: 9
Like?
In reply to Blue Egypt, Jul 17, 2013

If it is only a day or so away, I might as well make some predictions. First the probable stuff:

1. It will use the new 825mm lens
  2. Even with new lens, will keep a consistent f2.8 through the range
  3. Increase sensor to 16MP
  4. Host of little improvements to effects and movies

Maybe/hopeful stuff:

1. GPS
  2. As good or better than LZ7 image quality
  3. Provide 5 level auto bracketing (Please for HDR sake!!)

I'd but that for more than the current FZ200 price!

JohnGilPet
New MemberPosts: 9
Like?
In reply to JohnGilPet, Jul 17, 2013
  1. As good or better than LZ7 image quality

I mean LX7

ANAYV
Forum ProPosts: 10,258
Like?
In reply to JohnGilPet, Jul 17, 2013

JohnGilPet wrote:

If it is only a day or so away, I might as well make some predictions. First the probable stuff:

What new 825mm lens ?

Was there talk about this?

After spoiling us with the return of the FZ line with a constant f2.8 lens, I sure hope they don't do what they did when the FZ30 came out, and give us a slower lens. (yes they added a bunch of good stuff, but any newer camera is expected to advance, each cycle. But maintain what they already gave us (f2.8 @ the telephoto end)

I'm guessing:

higher resolution LCD,

more megapixels

EVF that has eye sensor, for  auto switch on/off

GPS

I'd hope to see:

Longer telephoto lens, but only if still f2.8 (or better.....yeah right ,lol)

Higher resolution, bigger EVF

Lower noise at high iso settings

Manual focus ring (like FZ10/20/30/50)

ANAYV

kkardster
Senior MemberPosts: 4,376Gear list
Like?
In reply to ANAYV, Jul 17, 2013

ANAYV wrote:

JohnGilPet wrote:

What new 825mm lens ?

Was there talk about this?

Possibly based on the 35X LZ30?

After spoiling us with the return of the FZ line with a constant f2.8 lens, I sure hope they don't do what they did when the FZ30 came out, and give us a slower lens. (yes they added a bunch of good stuff, but any newer camera is expected to advance, each cycle. But maintain what they already gave us (f2.8 @ the telephoto end)

I'm guessing:

higher resolution LCD,

Check

more megapixels

Check

EVF that has eye sensor, for auto switch on/off

Sorry

GPS

Nope

I'd hope to see:

Longer telephoto lens, but only if still f2.8 (or better.....yeah right ,lol)

Possibly

Higher resolution, bigger EVF

Sorry

Lower noise at high iso settings

Hope so, but they seem to be having trouble here, don't they?

Manual focus ring (like FZ10/20/30/50)

It would be nice with theh stick with the 24X f/2.8 lens

ANAYV

I think we can expect Wifi.  I'd also like to see phase-detect focus.

-- hide signature --

Bruce
You learn something new every time you press the shutter

kkardster's gear list:kkardster's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LZ7 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200 +5 more
W0LKC
Like?
In reply to kkardster, Jul 19, 2013

I was hoping to hear what the successor to the DMC-FZ200 is today...but I guess not....perhaps soon though.

But, I've been really happy with my FZ200, which I had acquired impulsively just before a trip in early December last year.  Though I have hardly used it since February...(Oct-Feb is when I attend conferences and conventions and take vacations....keep saying I should do something with my summer besides work.  Probably should find an excuse to take time off, to use it before my next trip....)

Of course, there are things I would like to see improved on it, and I can't help to wonder what Panasonic has to make it better that I haven't thought of yet.

-- hide signature --

You may be a dreamer, but I'm The Dreamer, the definite article you might say!

W0LKC's gear list:W0LKC's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LZ2 Canon PowerShot SX120 IS Nikon Coolpix S80 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200 Nikon Coolpix L320 +4 more
kkardster
Like?
In reply to W0LKC, Jul 19, 2013

W0LKC wrote:

I was hoping to hear what the successor to the DMC-FZ200 is today...but I guess not....perhaps soon though.

I'm also looking forward to what Panasonic may have done to improve on the FZ200.  My wife, on the other hand, needs a new purse...

-- hide signature --

Bruce

wolfd
Contributing MemberPosts: 835Gear list
Like?
In reply to TheDigitalCruiser, Jul 19, 2013

That is an awesome capture !!!

wolfd's gear list:wolfd's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS15 Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX7 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200 Pentax K-7 Nikon D7000 +2 more
Ronomy
Senior MemberPosts: 2,511Gear list
Like?

W0LKC wrote:

I was hoping to hear what the successor to the DMC-FZ200 is today...but I guess not....perhaps soon though.

I'm also looking forward to what Panasonic may have done to improve on the FZ200.  My wife, on the other hand, needs a new purse...

-- hide signature --

Bruce

Purse? Those can break the bank...Yikes!

Ronomy's gear list:Ronomy's gear list
Canon PowerShot SD800 IS Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX7 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200
kkardster
Like?
In reply to Ronomy, Jul 19, 2013

Ronomy wrote:

W0LKC wrote:

I'm also looking forward to what Panasonic may have done to improve on the FZ200. My wife, on the other hand, needs a new purse...

-- hide signature --

Bruce

Purse? Those can break the bank...Yikes!

Yes - luckily my wife not only thinks cameras are too expensive [and should last longer than a purse], but she thinks purses are too expensive (by up to 10X!) and has trouble justifying spending hundreds on a new handbag. I usually take note of one she likes and she gets it as a gift.

Sorry if this may seem off-topic, but it isn't - a purse could be my successor to the FZ200...

needmoretoys
Regular MemberPosts: 398Gear list
Like?

Fortunately, my wife thinks that cameras should cost hundreds and purses no more than $50. She thought my new FZ200 a few months was about right at $448 and will probably be happy with me buying a 70D next year as long as it has dropped to $900 or less.

needmoretoys's gear list:needmoretoys's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS7 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200 Olympus XZ-2 iHS Canon EOS 100D Canon EF 200mm f/2.8L II USM +6 more
ssb33
New MemberPosts: 10
Like?
In reply to Blue Egypt, Jul 19, 2013

The problem for me now is whether to wait longer for the FZ250/280 or just buy the FZ200. And if I were to wait - how long to do so before we can conclude that no FZ200 replacement is coming this year?

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads