Do you guys use VR on or off mostly?

Started Apr 23, 2013 | Discussions
alegator
Regular MemberPosts: 202
Like?
Do you guys use VR on or off mostly?
Apr 23, 2013

I always had the idea that VR should always be OFF unless stricltly necessary, like when shooting in vibration environments. I found a great article

I infer from such article that even with handheld, unless standing on a vibrating surface, VR should be OFF.

What's your feedback on this?

kiirokurisu
Regular MemberPosts: 385
Like?
Re: Do you guys use VR on or off mostly?
In reply to alegator, Apr 23, 2013

This seems totally contrary to the design intent of VR. It is designed to damp out small movements of the photographer's hands, not the ground he or she's standing on (with the exception of lenses that have an Active VR setting, which is indeed designed for moving platforms).

For the most part I leave VR on unless I'm certain that I will be shooting above 1/focal length shutter speeds. But then I do a lot of available light shooting.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
RBFresno
Veteran MemberPosts: 8,983Gear list
Like?
The worse thing about turning VR off......

alegator wrote:

I always had the idea that VR should always be OFF unless stricltly necessary, like when shooting in vibration environments. I found a great article

I infer from such article that even with handheld, unless standing on a vibrating surface, VR should be OFF.

HI!

Under some circumstances (not most) there may be some minor advantages to turning VR off (though in my personal use, I'm not sure I've ever seen VR degrade an image)..

However, for me, the worse thing about turning VR of, is that I tend to forget to turn it back on when I really need it. I've screwed up a fair number of pictures that way.

So I now basically leave it on all the time unless:

-I'm using a tripod (and then I'll sometimes use tripod mode VR if the lens has it or if the tripod is on a moving or shaking surface, or if there is enough wind to shake even a tripod)

-I'm doing  a lot of shooting in a situation where  I'm always using a fast shutter speed (even then, VR can be useful as it stabilizes the image in the viewfinder, sometimes making it easier to track a moving subject).

RB

http://www.dpreview.com/members/2305099006/challenges
http://www.pbase.com/rbfresno/profile

RBFresno's gear list:RBFresno's gear list
Nikon D3 Nikon D200 Nikon D2H Nikon D4 Nikon AF DX Fisheye-Nikkor 10.5mm f/2.8G ED +16 more
ADeighty
Regular MemberPosts: 134Gear list
Like?

The idea you have is wrong. You can use google and get all the correct info very easy.

ADeighty's gear list:ADeighty's gear list
Nikon D90 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6G ED-IF Tokina AT-X Pro 12-24mm f/4 (IF) DX Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G VR Epson Stylus Photo R2880 +1 more
Hansa Yindee
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,784Gear list
Like?

99% of my work is handheld so it stays on.

I shoot a lot of wild monkeys just down the road..;-)

-- hide signature --

Jon in Thailand
www.flickr.com/photos/af2899/

Hansa Yindee's gear list:Hansa Yindee's gear list
Nikon D50 Nikon D1X Nikon D300 Nikon D2X Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 17-55mm f/2.8G ED-IF +9 more
Leonard Shepherd
Veteran MemberPosts: 8,286Gear list
Like?

alegator wrote:

Thom's current thinking has changed - the first part now seems to mirror what I have been saying for three or four years. There is nothing new there, except Thom does not mention VR can help AF keep something moving erratically in the viewfinder in sharp focus.

Nikon do not quote a current sampling frequency, and the correction frequency is not necessarily as fast as the sampling frequency. Nikon did say VR II is much better at eliminating low frequency vibrations than "original VR" prior to updating their VR links. On a detail I make it there are least 6 variations of VR in Nikon lenses, starting with the original 80-400 which remains on sale.

VR is an aid, like matrix metering, spot metering, AWB, auto focus, D-lighting, exposure compensation, TTL flash or using a tripod.

Sometimes using one or more of these improves results and sometimes using them makes results not so good. Knowing what to select when for your type of photography is part of the learning curve of photography.

-- hide signature --

Leonard Shepherd
Many problems turn out to be a lack of intimate knowledge of complex modern camera equipment.

Leonard Shepherd's gear list:Leonard Shepherd's gear list
Nikon D800 Nikon D7100 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 16-35mm f/4G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED +19 more
WIMorrison
Contributing MemberPosts: 866Gear list
Like?
In reply to Leonard Shepherd, Apr 23, 2013

Not exactly news given that Thom's article is dated April 2010 with the updated being June 2010 which are both 3 years ago

-- hide signature --

Iain Morrison LRPS CPAGB
wimorrison.co.uk

WIMorrison's gear list:WIMorrison's gear list
Nikon D7000 Nikon D800E Sigma 50-500mm F4.5-6.3 DG OS HSM Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 60mm f/2.8G ED +11 more
Kuvasauna
Contributing MemberPosts: 747
Like?
On - unless using tripod (nt)

On - unless using tripod

-- hide signature --

'Anyone who believes exponential growth can go on forever in a finite world is either a madman or an economist.'

Robin Casady
Forum ProPosts: 11,348
Like?

alegator wrote:

I think you misread the article.

I turn it off 98.765% of the time. Actually, I can't recall when I last turned it on. Don't think I've used it once with the D800E. Might have used it with the D700.

It should be off with shutter speeds of 1/500 sec. or faster.

It should be off if you are trying to get the ultimate sharpness out of the D800E. It can reduce motion blur, but it is not perfect and can cause a very small amount of blur.

-- hide signature --

Robin Casady
http://www.robincasady.com/Photo/index.html
"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts."
— Bertrand Russell

overniteman
Regular MemberPosts: 426
Like?
In reply to Robin Casady, Apr 23, 2013

No tripod- VR always on

Tripod- VR off.

I always check the VR switch when I pull the lens out of the bag, just habit I giuess

andreben
Regular MemberPosts: 106
Like?

alegator wrote:

One thing to keep in mind as well is that sometimes VR can give you unwanted artifacts in your image. For instance, particularly if you have some fairly out-of-focus objects such as trees, bushes, or even buildings in your picture, VR-on can at least on some lenses give you some nasty looking bokeh due to shifting of the out-of-focus objects. Due to this, I try to keep VR off unless I think I need it due to low shutter speeds.

Cheers,

Andreas

M Lammerse
Forum ProPosts: 10,814
Like?

alegator wrote:

It depends on my camera and usage.

I've only one lens which has VR, the 70-200mm F/2.8G VR-I

Inside on the D3S, it's mostly on, outside it's mostly off.
On D800 it's mostly on the whole time when I have to use it.

Michel

-- hide signature --

- To observe without evaluation is the highest form of human intelligence -
http://www.fotopropaganda.com
http://www.fotopropaganda.com/blog
http://www.flickr.com/photos/9240992@N05

Lance B
Forum ProPosts: 26,903Gear list
Like?
Re: The worse thing about turning VR off......
In reply to RBFresno, Apr 23, 2013

RBFresno wrote:

alegator wrote:

HI!

Under some circumstances (not most) there may be some minor advantages to turning VR off (though in my personal use, I'm not sure I've ever seen VR degrade an image)..

However, for me, the worse thing about turning VR of, is that I tend to forget to turn it back on when I really need it. I've screwed up a fair number of pictures that way.

So I now basically leave it on all the time unless:

-I'm using a tripod (and then I'll sometimes use tripod mode VR if the lens has it or if the tripod is on a moving or shaking surface, or if there is enough wind to shake even a tripod)

-I'm doing  a lot of shooting in a situation where  I'm always using a fast shutter speed (even then, VR can be useful as it stabilizes the image in the viewfinder, sometimes making it easier to track a moving subject).

That's pretty much me too, RB.

I rarely turn off VR and when I do I invariable forget to turn it back on! I mostly shoot with VR on, and it would only be on the rare occassion that I turn it off, and I don't think I have had an image suffer due to VR.

RB

Lance B's gear list:Lance B's gear list
Nikon D800E Nikon D810 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 16-35mm f/4G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED +13 more
RBFresno
Veteran MemberPosts: 8,983Gear list
Like?
In reply to andreben, Apr 23, 2013

andreben wrote:

alegator wrote:

One thing to keep in mind as well is that sometimes VR can give you unwanted artifacts in your image. For instance, particularly if you have some fairly out-of-focus objects such as trees, bushes, or even buildings in your picture, VR-on can at least on some lenses give you some nasty looking bokeh due to shifting of the out-of-focus objects. Due to this, I try to keep VR off unless I think I need it due to low shutter speeds.

-- hide signature --

Hi!

I know that folks say this (even Rorslett), and I may  have seen a few examples(?). However I've never been able to reproduce this

VR on at fast shutter speed; Artifacts in the  bokeh?"

Nikon D3 ,Nikkor 200mm f/2G IF-ED AF-S VR
1/3200s f/2.0 at 200.0mm iso200

RB

RBFresno's gear list:RBFresno's gear list
Nikon D3 Nikon D200 Nikon D2H Nikon D4 Nikon AF DX Fisheye-Nikkor 10.5mm f/2.8G ED +16 more
larrywilson
Senior MemberPosts: 3,100
Like?
In reply to M Lammerse, Apr 23, 2013

Mostly off.  Hardly ever on when using a tripod.

Larry

Red G8R
Senior MemberPosts: 1,622Gear list
Like?

Mine stays ON for all handheld or even with monopod. The only time I turn it off is on the tripod.
I've read so many varying opinions but I do what I feel gives me the best results.

-- hide signature --

Peter
Ontario, Canada

Red G8R's gear list:Red G8R's gear list
Nikon D4 Fujifilm X-T1 Nikon D600 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.4G +10 more
inasir1971
Senior MemberPosts: 3,115Gear list
Like?

I think as Leonard says above, there are many different versions of VR in use. This is further complicated as Nikon uses the suffix II after VR not in reference to the VR but to the lens - i.e. the AF-S 200/2 VR and VRII may have the same VR system (which I suspect).

I have three Nikon telephoto lenses with VR - the 70-200/2.8G VRII, 200/2G VRII, and AF-S 80-400 VR.

The VR in both the 70-200 and 200 seem very similar in effectiveness and I think that best results will be achieved with high enough shutter speeds and VR off. On a D800 viewing at 100%, there seems to be slight degradation with VR on at these shutter speeds. VR on both of these isn't really reliable enough to depend on.

The latest iteration of VR on the new 80-400 however is in a different league and doesn't seem to have any negative effects and I would just leave it on, except for tripod (maybe).

It really depends on the lens.

richard cohen
Senior MemberPosts: 1,000Gear list
Like?
Always on...

Unless I forget to turn it on I use it 100% of the time.

richard cohen's gear list:richard cohen's gear list
Nikon D4 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 28-300mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR +7 more
Oscarroos
Senior MemberPosts: 2,914Gear list
Like?
Re: Always OFF ...
In reply to richard cohen, Apr 23, 2013
 Oscarroos's gear list:Oscarroos's gear list
Nikon Coolpix 5700 Canon PowerShot S95 Nikon D200 Nikon D700 Nikon D800 +13 more
Kaj E
Veteran MemberPosts: 8,891Gear list
Like?
Re: VR is a compromise

A stable camera always  wins over VR. If the camera is stable the image will be shaper without VR. VR involves a "vibrating" lens element that degrades image quality. But if your handshake is strong enough the VR will give you an acceptable image, but not as good as if the  camera would have been stable without VR.

Nikon therefore only makes VR for professional lenses where it is needed the most (long lenses where the effect of handshake is critical. Nikon and Canon do not have VR on their 24-70 for a reason.

VR on wide lenses is a challenge as the negative effects are stronger than on lenses with a narrow angle of view due to  the way VR works: http://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/29069086 . Case in point corner and edge performance of the 16-35mm f/4 VR.

Use VR only when needed.

-- hide signature --

Kind regards
Kaj
http://www.pbase.com/kaj_e
WSSA member #13
It's about time we started to take photography seriously and treat it as a hobby.- Elliott Erwitt

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads