Be Thankful For Olympus Gear

Started Apr 23, 2013 | Discussions
unknown member
(unknown member)
Like?
Be Thankful For Olympus Gear
Apr 23, 2013

As I scroll through reviews on Amazon, of the new Nikon D3200 / Rebel t4i / and even higher end Canikon models, I am struck by how many "it was bad right out of the box" type reviews... there are so many complaints about dust, poor quality control, and even people saying things like, "this WILL be a 5 star camera someday, as soon as they fix these problems..."

This is stuff you rarely, if ever, hear about Olympus gear... even the low-end E-xxx models just seem to go and go, and have few problems --- certainly not right out of the box!

So, I say Olympus is doing it right, at least in the quality control dept.

-- hide signature --

Dr. Lecter

Canon EOS 650D (EOS Rebel T4i / EOS Kiss X6i) Nikon D3200
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
fatfaria
Regular MemberPosts: 100Gear list
Like?
Re: Be Thankful For Olympus Gear
In reply to Doctor Lecter, Apr 23, 2013

Quite so !

Cheers

Fernando

E-1, E-400, E-3, DMC-L1, C-8080, C-5060

7-14, 12-60, 14-54, 50, 14-42, 40-150, EC-20, Leica D 14-50

fatfaria's gear list:fatfaria's gear list
Olympus Zuiko Digital 14-54mm 1:2.8-3.5 II
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Historicity
Regular MemberPosts: 321Gear list
Like?

Doctor Lecter wrote:

As I scroll through reviews on Amazon, of the new Nikon D3200 / Rebel t4i / and even higher end Canikon models, I am struck by how many "it was bad right out of the box" type reviews... there are so many complaints about dust, poor quality control, and even people saying things like, "this WILL be a 5 star camera someday, as soon as they fix these problems..."

This is stuff you rarely, if ever, hear about Olympus gear... even the low-end E-xxx models just seem to go and go, and have few problems --- certainly not right out of the box!

-- hide signature --

Dr. Lecter

Dr. Lecter,

I've mentioned being happy with Olympus gear and acquiring backups of the cameras I like, but I failed to mention what you note above.  Yes, I too went through that sort of instigation and found the same thing to be true.  In my case I checked the forums and read the complaints about quality control.  Over here on the Olympus forum the only angst is about the prospect of Olympus discontinuing their dslr line, not about any quality issues.

At present I have two E1s, two E-500s, three E-420s, one E-520, and one E-3, but I wouldn't have accumulated this collection without first having considerable confidence in the quality of what I was accumulating.

While some on this forum speak disparagingly of the "earlier" Olympus DSLRs, I have been happy with the ones I have, and happy to have choices.  For example, I tweaked my right shoulder doing bench presses a while back and hoisting the heavy E-3 or E-1 produces twinges so I've been using an E-420.  I have the 25mm and 35mm lenses which are very light, but I've also rediscovered what a good lens the little 14-42 is.  I could go on . . .

Lawrence

Historicity's gear list:Historicity's gear list
Olympus E-1 Olympus E-3 Olympus E-330 Olympus E-420 Olympus E-500 +43 more
illy
Forum ProPosts: 12,160Gear list
Like?

Doctor Lecter wrote:

-- hide signature --

Dr. Lecter

never had a problem with any gear from any manufacturer except the rubber grips on the E-1 and D200........guess i'm lucky or something........

-- hide signature --

The time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time.

illy's gear list:illy's gear list
Nikon D200 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 Nikon D5100 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 55-200mm f/4-5.6G VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G VR +4 more
alatchin
Contributing MemberPosts: 759Gear list
Like?

I am always grateful when something works out of the box and doesnt die a horrible death.

I am more thankful for the innovation Olympus brings, along with a very unique lens selection.

-- hide signature --

“You don’t take a photograph, you make it.” -Ansel Adams
blog.alatchinphotography(dot)com

alatchin's gear list:alatchin's gear list
Olympus E-3 Olympus PEN E-P2 Olympus PEN E-PL2 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus PEN E-PL5 +20 more
Bobby J
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,691Gear list
Like?

I've used Olympus gear since the early 70s when the OM-1 1st was introduced.  When I switched to digital about 8 yrs ago, I had three OM bodies, and 22 lenses for that system.

In all the years I used them, I had the original OM-1 and OM-2 in the shop (at the time located in Dallas TX) one time.  The flash quit working and they replaced the chrome points with gold ones...in both cameras which were by then out of warranty at NO charge. Never another problem of ANY kind.

I dropped my 65x200 zoom and had to send it in to be repaired.  In all those years those were the ONLY times any of the equipment ever had to be in the shop.

When I switched to digital it was only natural that I'd stay with Oly.  I've owned every DSLR they've made (for the US except the E-300 and E-330, don't like brick shaped cameras) and the only problems I've had was the de-lamination of the LCD on the E-3 which was repaired at no charge, again after warranty expired.

I currently own nine DZ lenses and two TCs.  Only problem I've had was the 12x60 (a refurb) which simply locked up and wouldn't run.  Repaired at no charge.

That's a pretty good record over 40 yrs and Heaven knows how many images.

My daughter still owns my original OM-1 and it still works just fine.

I guess you could say I'm an Oly guy.

-- hide signature --

BJM

OlyChamp
Senior MemberPosts: 4,284Gear list
Like?
Apart from what folks want in the E7 or E-xxx ....

.... I think you are spot on.  I'm an out and out Oly fan.  I don't own multiple cameras in the range but have owned many Oly's that I have never had issues with (even the classic C2100UZ).

The gear issues you do see here at Oly DSLR are minor and usually resolved by posting and folks replying, very little need to go back to the shop.

I'm Oly for life.

Thane

-- hide signature --

The digital image is a dozen or so words
positioned carefully to paint a picture
that challenges the eye
and tricks the mind
into thinking, light is a title
and the palette a taste bud
worth tasting.

OlyChamp's gear list:OlyChamp's gear list
Olympus E-500 Olympus E-620 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 70-300mm 1:4.0-5.6 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4.0-5.6 +2 more
Brian Steele
Contributing MemberPosts: 502Gear list
Like?

I have an E520 that's been sent back twice for front-focus issues. And my 12-60 lens is beginning to act up (refusing to focus) when it's been left to sit for awhile, so that may be going for service soon too.  But you know what - I'd still rather use Olympus than anything else.

-- hide signature --
 Brian Steele's gear list:Brian Steele's gear list
Olympus C-2100 UZ Olympus E-520 Olympus E-620 Olympus PEN E-PL5 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 50mm 1:2.0 Macro +9 more
Craig from Nevada
Contributing MemberPosts: 614Gear list
Like?
Re: Be Thankful For Olympus Gear---Nikon D 600

Dropping $2k for oil on the sensor.

Pikme
Senior MemberPosts: 1,502
Like?
Too bad this isn't true for m4/3

I never had problems with my Olympus 4/3 gear, never did fancy lens testing or worried about my cameras.  But I've had all kinds of problems with my m4/3 gear  - multiple copies of bad lenses, bad flashes, and EM5 shutter failure and cracked LCD.  Now I do test all new purchases, and I avoid buying new items right away, as it seems even the lenses have manufacturing issues that need to be sorted out. I can't help but think this is one of the 'reforms' brought to Olympus by Michael Woodford - or perhaps something one of the partners (Panasonic or Sony) has taught Olympus?  At least repair service is still good -- keep our fingers crossed!

-- hide signature --

Roberto M.

Roger Engelken
Senior MemberPosts: 2,803Gear list
Like?
In reply to Doctor Lecter, Apr 24, 2013

Doctor Lecter wrote:

-- hide signature --

Dr. Lecter

I have had no complaints with the E-420, E-500, E-620, E-1 and E-5 that I own (or owned in the case of the E-500).  Shortcomings are the fault of the operator most of the time.   Along with seventeen of the Zuiko lenses, I have a very fine set.  Comments on the quality of and service by Olympus are overwhelmingly positive.

I suspect that many other manufacturers make beautiful working cameras and lenses, there are too many stunning shots out there to think otherwise.

My father used Olympus, and that is where I got my start.  At this point I am not changing systems.  Only the future will tell where this hobby goes.  In the meantime, the snow has ended, so back out to shoot something.  

Roger Engelken's gear list:Roger Engelken's gear list
Olympus TG-830 iHS Olympus E-1 Olympus E-420 Olympus E-30 Olympus E-620 +22 more
John Byrne
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,805
Like?
Re: I'm thankfull, but

I really have no basis for comparison as I have only ever used and owned Oly cameras, but save to say, they've served me well, except for grip issues with my C8080 and E1. No Big Deal just bought replacements, still haven't fixed them to these cameras, thanks for the reminder must get onto it.

Cheers,

JB

CharlesB58
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,536
Like?

Doctor Lecter wrote:

-- hide signature --

Dr. Lecter

Maybe...

Consider that Canon sells probably at least 100 cameras for every 1 Olympus sells. Therefore, you have 100X the number of customers who are likely to complain, as well as 100X the possibility of a defective product. Given that customers are 10X more likely to complain than praise a product, you may just as well be seeing a normal average of complaints based on the much greater number of Canon customers.

Not that I'm saying Olympus doesn't have good quality control, or Canon isn't without problems (I recall some sort of light leak issue with early 5D3s?), but to use the comparative number of negative reviews as "proof" of better Olympus quality is statistically flawed.

-- hide signature --

Some people operate cameras. Others use them to create images. There is a difference.
http://ikkens.zenfolio.com/
http://sarob-w.deviantart.com/

LamBHK
New MemberPosts: 5
Like?
In reply to CharlesB58, Apr 24, 2013

CharlesB58 wrote:

Doctor Lecter wrote:

-- hide signature --

Dr. Lecter

Maybe...

Consider that Canon sells probably at least 100 cameras for every 1 Olympus sells. Therefore, you have 100X the number of customers who are likely to complain, as well as 100X the possibility of a defective product. Given that customers are 10X more likely to complain than praise a product, you may just as well be seeing a normal average of complaints based on the much greater number of Canon customers.

Not that I'm saying Olympus doesn't have good quality control, or Canon isn't without problems (I recall some sort of light leak issue with early 5D3s?), but to use the comparative number of negative reviews as "proof" of better Olympus quality is statistically flawed.

-- hide signature --

Some people operate cameras. Others use them to create images. There is a difference.

I have seven E- bodies and none of them ever have any problem. One E-510 I have reached over 80,000 SC and one E-520 over 60,000 and both are still running strong, and they are just entry level cameras, those are good quality products, I think many Oly users like me are based on their own experience to give credit to Oly

illy
Forum ProPosts: 12,160Gear list
Like?

Doctor Lecter wrote:

-- hide signature --

Dr. Lecter

i just read some of the D3200 reviews, what can i say it's a mixed bag with the lower ratings, someone gave it 1 star out of 5 because they couldn't get hold of a red body version......

-- hide signature --

The time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time.

illy's gear list:illy's gear list
Nikon D200 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 Nikon D5100 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 55-200mm f/4-5.6G VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G VR +4 more
esco
Senior MemberPosts: 1,780
Like?
In reply to LamBHK, Apr 24, 2013

LamBHK wrote:

CharlesB58 wrote:

Doctor Lecter wrote:

-- hide signature --

Dr. Lecter

Maybe...

-- hide signature --

I have seven E- bodies and none of them ever have any problem. One E-510 I have reached over 80,000 SC and one E-520 over 60,000 and both are still running strong, and they are just entry level cameras, those are good quality products, I think many Oly users like me are based on their own experience to give credit to Oly

What charles is saying has a lot of logic and you aren't representative of the consumer as a whole. If you produce and sell more product than chances are you will have more defects and you will have more customers complain.
I'm not bashing anyone here but really lets see things fairly and take off the fanboy goggles. If canikon sells 2million entry level cameras and  Olympus sells 100k cameras and the defect rate is 2% for both . . .that amount of defects produced by canikon is clearly going to be higher.
The other thing is canikon also seem to always be on the cutting edge, their products tend to be more complex and will have a greater risk of defeciency just as the newer m4/3 products are facing. The other thing is Olympus seems to also deny some of the problems that has plagued some of their bodies, namely the focusing on the e-3 and the focusing of the 14-35 for example while canon will usually issue an official statement and solution not long after. You can see past news articles here yourself you don't believe that.
You get some people who clearly see a problem and some who are in denial or don't have another brand to compare to make them realize what they have isn't up to snuff. A pro body with a megabuck lens like the 14-35 shouldn't be a hit or miss experience as it's been for people considering this lens was produced and sold to an extremely low amount.

unknown member
(unknown member)
Like?
Re: Canikon
In reply to esco, Apr 24, 2013

"Canikon always seems to be on the cutting edge..."

Really? They developed IBIS? And they were the first with self-cleaning sensors? Oh, and they were the first with articulating LCDs? I must be mistaken then...

I do agree that if they sell a whole lot more, they will get more complaints, etc. But there's the counter-argument that if they sell a lot more, they should know exactly what they are doing.

-- hide signature --

Dr. Lecter

esco
Senior MemberPosts: 1,780
Like?
In reply to Doctor Lecter, Apr 25, 2013

Doctor Lecter wrote:

Really? They developed IBIS? And they were the first with self-cleaning sensors? Oh, and they were the first with articulating LCDs? I must be mistaken then...

I do agree that if they sell a whole lot more, they will get more complaints, etc. But there's the counter-argument that if they sell a lot more, they should know exactly what they are doing.

-- hide signature --

Dr. Lecter

Um Minolta offered ibis a few years before olympus. . .it was offered in the maxxum 5d/7d
Considering canikon's af systems are constantly evolving and is a component that is amongst some of the most complex to develop along with new sensors that are constantly being brought out then yes I would say they have always been in cutting edge tech when it comes to dslr's- more so than Olympus by a large gap. I should of probably mentioned Sony as well.
sswf is nice i'll give them that, articulating lcd's we've seen for years in compacts from many makes so it's addition to dslr's was inevitable - it doesn't take a genious to figure that one out but I applaud olympus for releasing it on a dslr finally. There are pros and cons to articulating screens in a dslr, it increases size and reduces durability which is why you just don't see it in the best pro bodies out there.
When it comes to the fundamentals, the things that are absolutely crucial to capturing a photo and are expected to be in constant evolution like af and sensors. . .Olympus has never been cutting edge, not even close. The lenses have always been awesome, the bodies have always lagged - this is no secret. I'm not saying they aren't great photography tools or that you can't capture a great photo with them. . .i'm just telling it how it is when it comes to tech.
When it comes to defects, even leica makes mistakes. Humans make mistakes, you can't rule out that equation but considering you can exchange a canikon body or lens at your local shop. . .that's not a bad spot to be in is it?

-- hide signature --

Oldschool Evolt shooter

alatchin
Contributing MemberPosts: 759Gear list
Like?
In reply to esco, Apr 25, 2013

esco wrote:

Doctor Lecter wrote:

-- hide signature --

Dr. Lecter

Um Minolta offered ibis a few years before olympus. . .it was offered in the maxxum 5d/7d
Considering canikon's af systems are constantly evolving and is a component that is amongst some of the most complex to develop along with new sensors that are constantly being brought out then yes I would say they have always been in cutting edge tech when it comes to dslr's- more so than Olympus by a large gap.

In one moment you mention someone developing a product before Olympus making it a redundant point, but then you bring up AF. well Canon wasn;t the first company to offer AF so it is hardly cutting edge... OR we could agree that the IBIS in the olympus bodies was far more developed than the older minolta IBIS, and in fact the newer IBIS is a hige leap stabilizing in stills, in video and in the EVF for any lens you can stick on the camera.

The self cleaning sensor, while now duplicated, is still the best version on the market.

Now while Canon has produced some class leading technology, so has every camera maker. Olympus went from no PDAF AF to a very competent system in about 8 years, Canon has been developing theirs for over 20 years... Now when you look at CDAF technology and Live view shoooting and AF Olympus has been worlds ahead of Canon... So not all focusing tech goes Canon's way.. As for sensors, we are really talking Canon vs Sony vs Panasonic... Panasonic lags, sony leads and Canon is in the middle.

I should of probably mentioned Sony as well.
sswf is nice i'll give them that, articulating lcd's we've seen for years in compacts from many makes so it's addition to dslr's was inevitable - it doesn't take a genious to figure that one out but I applaud olympus for releasing it on a dslr finally. There are pros and cons to articulating screens in a dslr, it increases size and reduces durability which is why you just don't see it in the best pro bodies out there.

Just to correct you, just because they dont have it in the most expensive pro cameras, doesnt mean it is because of durability. The E-3/5 were considered some of the most robust cameras out there, one could say their failure rate was about as common as any issue on any pro body.

When it comes to the fundamentals, the things that are absolutely crucial to capturing a photo and are expected to be in constant evolution like af and sensors. . .Olympus has never been cutting edge, not even close.

Again, why do you get to set what is crucial for picture taking? I find lenses fairly crucial, and while you mention them below the 43rds format has enjoyed one of the widest spreads of cross type AF points for quite some time I have always found that incredibly useful as I have almost never used CAF (the only real failing of Olympus AF)... So what is pivotal for one photographer is useless to another.

The lenses have always been awesome, the bodies have always lagged - this is no secret. I'm not saying they aren't great photography tools or that you can't capture a great photo with them. . .i'm just telling it how it is when it comes to tech.

You are telling it how you see it, not how it is. Just as I have mentioned how I see it, not how it is. Olympus has introduced as many useful features for shooters as anyone else. I am hitting up a clients location to shoot events for their website (a banquet hall). One of the things I have been doing is holding the tripod by the legs and framing using the screen tilted down so I can frame the big hall from above, IBIS and a tilting screen were far more useful for this series of shoots than CAF or a 90point AF array... Horses for courses.

When it comes to defects, even leica makes mistakes. Humans make mistakes, you can't rule out that equation but considering you can exchange a canikon body or lens at your local shop or get it serviced with ease. . .that's not a bad spot to be in is it?

No, but by all accounts for the price of one of the top tier bodies you could buy 2 E-X cameras, so for the price of 2 top tier bodies you can buy 4 E-X bodies YOu would need a failure rate double that of the bog players to run out of bodies You get my point I am sure. Canon and Nikon make superb cameras, as does Olympus.

-- hide signature --

Oldschool Evolt shooter

-- hide signature --

“You don’t take a photograph, you make it.” -Ansel Adams
blog.alatchinphotography(dot)com

alatchin's gear list:alatchin's gear list
Olympus E-3 Olympus PEN E-P2 Olympus PEN E-PL2 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus PEN E-PL5 +20 more
John King
Forum ProPosts: 12,792Gear list
Like?
In reply to Doctor Lecter, Apr 25, 2013

Gidday Hannibal

I think that Abe said a lot of what needed to be said, and well said too.

All I can add is that the only piece of Olympus gear that has ever failed on me in any way is the shutter cocking lever jammed on my original OM1 after some 30 years of use (and neglect ... ). A long overdue service fixed that.

I may just be fortunate, but none of my Olympus digital gear has ever failed to perform properly within its limitations - limitations, both real and imagined, that have been viciously pointed out to us all here thousands of times over the years ...

Even the "viewfinder lean" that all my cameras have at times magically disappears when I pay proper attention to what I am supposed to be doing ...

Even the truly ghastly plastic lens mounts on the two kit lenses that came with my E-510 are still perfectly good nearly six years down the track and many, many hundreds of lens changes later.

Hopefully, all my gear will continue to work well for a long time to come.

-- hide signature --

Regards, john from Melbourne, Australia.
(see profile for current gear)
Please do not embed images from my web site without prior permission
I consider this to be a breach of my copyright.
-- -- --
The Camera doth not make the Man (nor Woman) ...
Perhaps being kind to cats, dogs & children does ...
I am a Photography Aficionado ... and ...
"I don't have any problems with John. He is a crotchety old Aussie. He will smack you if you behave like a {deleted}. Goes with the territory." boggis the cat
Gallery: http://canopuscomputing.com.au/gallery2/v/main-page/

Bird Control Officers on active service.

John King's gear list:John King's gear list
Olympus E-1 Olympus E-510 Olympus E-30
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads