The best camera company

Started Apr 23, 2013 | Discussions
Airless
Regular MemberPosts: 295Gear list
Like?
The best camera company
Apr 23, 2013

Time to settle this debate once and for all, at least until this year's new cameras are all announced. I'm dead set on finding out which camera brand is truly the best. Here are the choices:

Olympus

Sony

Fuji

Panasonic

Leica

Pentax

Nikon

Canon

Samsung

These are roughly in order of how likely they should be to win. So pick the best brand(s) and defend your choice. Informed, well-articulated comments are preferred, and no trolling please; nobody likes to see decent threads get sabotaged. No reason why a solid discussion can't take place without a flame war.

Now have at it!

P.S. I'll start: Olympus is the best brand because it has cool retro styling, professional IQ in a very portable sized camera, retro design, IBIS, a wide range of lenses (including compatible Panasonic and 3rd party lenses), compact-sized lenses, strong secondary market, reasonably priced, rumored fast zoom lens coming, and Olympus is an awesome name. Sony is cool too but their NEX lenses aren't quite as good, not as much selection, and too large.

Airless's gear list:Airless's gear list
Olympus PEN E-PL5 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6 II R
Jimmy jang Boo
Senior MemberPosts: 1,231Gear list
Like?
Re: The best camera company
In reply to Airless, Apr 23, 2013

There is no best and there will be no consensus to this question.

Jimmy jang Boo's gear list:Jimmy jang Boo's gear list
Ricoh GR Nikon 1 V1
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
RhysM
Senior MemberPosts: 1,566
Like?

Airless wrote:

Time to settle this debate once and for all, at least until this year's new cameras are all announced. I'm dead set on finding out which camera brand is truly the best. Here are the choices:

Olympus

Sony

Fuji

Panasonic

Leica

Pentax

Nikon

Canon

Samsung

These are roughly in order of how likely they should be to win. So pick the best brand(s) and defend your choice. Informed, well-articulated comments are preferred, and no trolling please; nobody likes to see decent threads get sabotaged. No reason why a solid discussion can't take place without a flame war.

Now have at it!

P.S. I'll start: Olympus is the best brand because it has cool retro styling, professional IQ in a very portable sized camera, retro design, IBIS, a wide range of lenses (including compatible Panasonic and 3rd party lenses), compact-sized lenses, strong secondary market, reasonably priced, rumored fast zoom lens coming, and Olympus is an awesome name. Sony is cool too but their NEX lenses aren't quite as good, not as much selection, and too large.

No single one can possibly be picked, however:

Fuji's X Sereis are making waves and i suspect the second generation X Pro 2 and X-E2 will be very good cameras.

Nikon For DSLR's at the moment IMO Nikon trump canon in terms of sensors, but do have some QC issues with their mid range prosumer/semi-pro bodies.

Sony Honourable mention for making a full frame compact.

Airless
Regular MemberPosts: 295Gear list
Like?
In reply to Jimmy jang Boo, Apr 23, 2013

Jimmy jang Boo wrote:

There is no best and there will be no consensus to this question.

A consensus is when everyone agrees. Of course that's not going to happen but to say that there is no best is to completely discount the value of people's opinions. Maybe "favorite" brand would have been a more accurate way to phrase the topic but I think you can see what I'm going for here.

Airless's gear list:Airless's gear list
Olympus PEN E-PL5 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6 II R
jvkelley
Contributing MemberPosts: 798Gear list
Like?

Airless wrote:

Informed, well-articulated comments are preferred, and no trolling please; nobody likes to see decent threads get sabotaged. No reason why a solid discussion can't take place without a flame war.

It will be interesting to see if it really is possible to discuss this topic without it degrading into a flame war.  I'll do my best.

My pick is Canon.  Since we are rating companies rather than individual products, you can't ignore them.  They have one of the most complete product lines of any camera company from inexpensive point and shoots to full frame professional DSLRs.  They have one of the most complete DSLR lens lineups, and they also have a nice line of video products. Their DSLR sensors may be behind Nikon and Sony at the moment, and their mirrorless offerings are weak, but all of the other companies have weaknesses too.

-- hide signature --

J.V.

jvkelley's gear list:jvkelley's gear list
Canon PowerShot S50 Canon EOS 400D Canon EOS 70D Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM +2 more
Mike CH
Senior MemberPosts: 2,939Gear list
Like?
Unfortunately, yes

Airless wrote:

...  but I think you can see what I'm going for here.

Yes. The image is very clear.

Unfortunately.

Regards, Mike

-- hide signature --

Wait and see...

Mike CH's gear list:Mike CH's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EF 16-35mm f/2.8L II USM Canon EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro IS USM Canon EF 180mm f/3.5L Macro USM Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM +8 more
Biggs23
Biggs23 MOD
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,528Gear list
Like?

This could turn into a flame war. Assuming it doesn't, I'll play. To me image quality trumps all other considerations and I base my judgment on that.

Nikon - Seems like the clear winner. Low ISO King - D800. High ISO King - D4

Canon - A close second.

Sony

Pentax

Olympus

The rest.

-- hide signature --

Any opinions I express are my own and do not represent DPReview.

Biggs23's gear list:Biggs23's gear list
Nikon D4 Nikon Df Nikon D810 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED +4 more
JamesRL
Senior MemberPosts: 2,335Gear list
Like?

Mugs game.

Cameras are compromises, on size, weight, sensor, processing engine, and other factors.

The best camera for you, is not the best camera for everyone. And that is perfectly ok.

And without competition, we wouldn't be advancing the bar as fast as we are.

Way back in the film days, I used to sell cameras, of all brands, from cheap ones to SLRs. It is a matter of figuring out what the photographer needs and wants and finding the right match, not everyone buying the same thing.

JamesRL's gear list:JamesRL's gear list
Nikon D7000 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 16-85mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR +6 more
Doug Pardee
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,444Gear list
Like?

Which is the best choice:

• Rock.
  • Paper.
  • Scissors.

Please defend your answer.

"Best" only has meaning on a single, quantifiable aspect where "good" and "bad" have an obvious meaning. If there were a "best" camera company, the other companies would all disappear. They haven't, because different people value different things in different ways.

-- hide signature --

The open-source LightZone Project: http://lightzoneproject.org/

Doug Pardee's gear list:Doug Pardee's gear list
Olympus Stylus 1030 SW Canon EOS 350D Canon EF-S 17-85mm f/4-5.6 IS USM Adobe Photoshop Elements 10 Snapseed +20 more
Cailean Gallimore
Senior MemberPosts: 6,082
Like?

Leica are rumored to be working on an M9 Unboxing Edition™ that takes two weeks to unbox and has no facility for taking pictures.

"After the success of our designs with no anti-aliasing filter, we just thought it made sense to leave all the internal components out."

We don't have a release date yet, but watch this space.

jrtrent
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,255
Like?
Pentax

Pentax.  They have just two DLSR's, but both offer weather resistance, dual control wheels, and 100% coverage pentaprism viewfinders.  Pentax has incredible control flexibility/customization options compared to most other brands, and excellent compatibility with legacy lenses.  Both models are bargains for what they offer at their respective prices points.  Pentax also has arguably the best compact waterproof model on the market.

Jacobite
Regular MemberPosts: 130Gear list
Like?
In reply to Doug Pardee, Apr 23, 2013
 Jacobite's gear list:Jacobite's gear list
Fujifilm X10 Nikon D700 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR Kenko Teleplus Pro 300 AF 1.4x Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-85mm F3.5-4.5G ED VR +4 more
nikkorwatcher
Contributing MemberPosts: 684
Like?
In reply to Cailean Gallimore, Apr 23, 2013

Cailean Gallimore wrote:

Leica are rumored to be working on an M9 Unboxing Edition™ that takes two weeks to unbox and has no facility for taking pictures.

"After the success of our designs with no anti-aliasing filter, we just thought it made sense to leave all the internal components out."

The best of it is that it's infinitely upgradeable.

Seriously, this thread is a trollish waste of time. I think a mod should have know better than to feed it.

Cy Cheze
Senior MemberPosts: 2,028
Like?
The best camera company: Apple, obviously

"Best camera company" = troll bait.

People can argue for all eternity about what camera they "like" or the brand they "think" can take good pictures.  Honestly, the camera accounts for only about 20% of the result.  80% depends on the photographer and the subject.

The only thing one can quantify indisputably is which company makes the most profit by selling devices that include cameras.  Phone cameras are the most abundant photographic device and ergo the most popular and preferred.  Apple sells more than any other single firm, makes the most profit, and (despite a share price sag) has the greates market capitalization.

Canon is tiny compared to Apple and makes more money from printers and ink than from cameras.

Nikon is smaller than Nikon and its total profits are a drop in the bucket from a global vantage.

SFAIK, none of the other competitors is making any money at all from cameras per se.  Fuji reports a consolidated profit, but loses on cameras.  Sony, Panasonic, and Olympus have all lost heaps of money.  Implosion of P&S sales, in part due to smart phones, makes the camera business a very poor field.

CallMeAlan
Regular MemberPosts: 381Gear list
Like?

Airless wrote:

These are roughly in order of how likely they should be to win.

Should??  By what set of parameters?

The best camera company is the one which made everybody's favourite camera.  The word 'should' is misplaced.

CallMeAlan's gear list:CallMeAlan's gear list
Nikon D800 Sony RX100 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 105mm f/2.8G IF-ED VR Sigma 35mm F1.4 DG HSM +2 more
Biggs23
Biggs23 MOD
Like?
In reply to nikkorwatcher, Apr 23, 2013

nikkorwatcher wrote:

Cailean Gallimore wrote:

The best of it is that it's infinitely upgradeable.

Seriously, this thread is a trollish waste of time. I think a mod should have know better than to feed it.

This is the Open Talk forum. A little bit of fun is allowed, even encouraged! So far this thread hasn't resulted in any rules being broken and the tone has been completely civil. If that changes then appropriate actions can/will be taken. Until then, relax!

-- hide signature --

Nikon D4 Nikon Df Nikon D810 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED +4 more
Biggs23
Biggs23 MOD
Like?
Re: The best camera company: Apple, obviously
In reply to Cy Cheze, Apr 23, 2013

Cy Cheze wrote:

Nikon is smaller than Nikon and its total profits are a drop in the bucket from a global vantage.

Oh, yeah? Seems impossible...  

-- hide signature --

steephill
Veteran MemberPosts: 8,958
Like?
More than 2
In reply to jrtrent, Apr 23, 2013

In fact there are currently 4 - K5II, K5IIs, K30 and 645D. Then there is the K01 mirrorless and the Q and Q10 compact system cameras. No other brand comes close to the range Pentax offers.

-- hide signature --

Steve
www.pbase.com/steephill

justmeMN
Senior MemberPosts: 1,405
Like?
The best camera companies are...
In reply to CallMeAlan, Apr 23, 2013

The best camera companies are the ones that will still be making cameras ten years from now.

Canon and Nikon will still be around, but the camera divisions of numerous other companies will disappear.

Macx
Senior MemberPosts: 1,280Gear list
Like?
Holga

Low cost cameras that is all about the love of photography and overcoming, working around or embracing the limitations of the gear

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads