NO More D660 OIL threads PLEASE

Started Apr 22, 2013 | Discussions
digital ed
Senior MemberPosts: 2,989Gear list
Like?
Re: Just Dying To Give Up More Freedom
In reply to chlamchowder, Apr 25, 2013

chlamchowder wrote:

There is a difference between redundant threads and new information. I think very few, if any, would wish to suppress new information. What many of us object to is the repetition of old information.

Again, why is this a problem? I would be hard pressed to find a forum where a relevant topic that many members are concerned about isn't discussed multiple times. It's even possible for a single topic to push all other ones off the first few pages of threads. If that were the case, there might be an argument for action because that subject prevents people from discussing other subjects, but that's certainly not what's happening here.

Furthermore, new people come to the forum all the time, and some people don't check the forum very often. You can't assume everyone on the forum has read through hundreds of previous threads and knows what you know.

Moreover, even though you personally may not be interested in the D600 dust issues, I think plenty of other people are. In addition to being a minor nuisance, the dust problem reflects Nikon's attitude and ability to resolve problems. That seems important, especially to people with a significant investment in Nikon glass, or people looking to make a decision. (don't want to buy into a system that can't address problems that come up)

For those who say, just skip over what you don't want to read, how would we distinguish between redundant threads and new information?

That problem applies to all threads, not just D600 dust threads. It is impossible (just by looking at the title) to say whether a thread contains information you haven't seen before.

If we wanted to remove redundant information, that would involve removing posts about D600/700/800/3/4 features, shortcomings, strengths, handling, and so on. There'd be no end to what "repetitive info" is removed. After all, that information has been discussed before...many, many times.

Bringing in new information should definitely never be a requirement for a post. And there's always room for continuing discussion on a topic.

Also, I was talking about skipping over topics you don't want to read - not pulling new information across the whole forum. It's very easy to tell whether a thread is about a topic you're interested in just by looking at the title. And if that's not true, then title-writing-skills would be the problem.

BTW, where did the idea come from that his is a venue for free speech? It is not. This forum has restrictions. The rules begin with:

"In posting a message you are agreeing to the rules laid out below."

Religious and political speach has never been welcome here. Sexual content is banned. Personal attacks are banned. Discussing moderator actions is not allowed. This is not a free speech venue.

Bashing is not allowed. Bumping is frowned upon. So, posting the same angry statements over and over—to keep the topic at the top of the forum—could be considered a violation of the rules.

The rules also state:

"The forums are provided as a free service; please don't ruin them for everyone else."

Of course there are restrictions, mostly put in place to keep things on the subject of the forum. Perhaps my previous statements should be made clearer - I'm in support of people saying whatever they want on the forum as long as it's relevant to Nikon FX DSLRs (or whatever that forum's subject is). And D600 dust is undeniably relevant to that topic.

Censorship of on-topic posts IMO goes against the forum's goals. It's a place for discussion - not a "read stuff to feel good" site.

Then give me the option to ignore any thread with D600 oil in it.

digital ed's gear list:digital ed's gear list
Olympus E-1 Olympus E-3 Nikon 1 V2 Nikon D810 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED +14 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Prairie Pal
Senior MemberPosts: 2,239Gear list
Like?
The choice is your's to make on your own
In reply to digital ed, Apr 25, 2013

You already have two options;  one is the scroll wheel on your mouse, the other is self control.  Thank Logitech for the former and Jesus for the latter.

digital ed
Like?
Re: The choice is your's to make on your own
In reply to Prairie Pal, Apr 25, 2013

Prairie Pal wrote:

You already have two options;  one is the scroll wheel on your mouse, the other is self control.  Thank Logitech for the former and Jesus for the latter.

No. I do not want it to show up on my forum list.

Olympus E-1 Olympus E-3 Nikon 1 V2 Nikon D810 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED +14 more
Leo360
Senior MemberPosts: 1,036Gear list
Like?
Re: NO More D660 OIL threads PLEASE
In reply to Robin Casady, Apr 25, 2013

Robin Casady wrote:

kiirokurisu wrote:

I submit to you that "me too" complaint threads like those about oil spots suck the life out of a forum by occupying the active members in responding to these pointless posts - rather like a very effective and persistent troll.

I agree. It is the repetitive nature that is offensive. A few members post the same complaint over and over and over. This does hurt the forum and has caused some members to get fed up with it an leave.

-- hide signature --

Robin Casady
http://www.robincasady.com/Photo/index.html
"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts."
— Bertrand Russell

Sure, there are crappy redundant threads about D600 oild/dust, as there are redundant and crappy threads about other issues. Why you are singling out D600 problems and not D800 left AF? If you don't own D600 or do not plan to buy one, then sure, all those threads are of no relevance to you. I also find many threads that I am not interested in. My solution -- skip over them. Nobody is forced to read through a thread irrelevant to them. Yes, we live in an information overloaded world and one needs to learn to digest information efficiently (I wish I could:-) ) without resorting to Gestapo methods.

Leo

Leo360's gear list:Leo360's gear list
Nikon D5100 Nikon D750 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR II Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-120mm f/4G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.8G
Lucky Sky
Senior MemberPosts: 1,595
Like?
Re: Just Dying To Give Up More Freedom
In reply to Clivegriff, Apr 25, 2013

Clivegriff wrote:

Lucky Sky wrote:

Pitiful.

What is really pitiful is your inability to understand the OP.

Nowhere - NOWHERE - in his post does he advocate compulsion or censorship; he simply posits that it might be a good idea if the D600 oil/dust threads were recognised to have exhausted any usefulness that they might once have had.

By the OP advocating that he has had enough of the subject, he is advocating that the rest of us exercise some sort of self control through self censorship. It all comes out the same.

Had it not been for the people who have complained ceaselessly about this problem, I never would have come to a successful resolution to my D600 oil problem. (Off topic-the camera is now a beloved gem).

If people here are still having oil issues 6 months from now, I hope it is billboarded as loudly as it is today. After all, this is a gear forum, is it not??

The answer as put forth by another member is to exercise vigorously the scroll wheel mounted on the mouse. That is the ultimate form of self control that the OP should practice.

I know that his prescription works..........I've been regularly bypassing these latest D600 oil threads for a month without any increases in blood pressure or anger.

-- hide signature --

Lucky Sky
I'd rather be lucky than good

leicaman
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,637
Like?
Re: My D660 OIL
In reply to VicC, Apr 25, 2013

Very unusual pattern!  This could be caused by the overcharge ionization of a malfunctioning sensor coupled with the interaction of Nikon's "SmartLube" (registered trade mark) but more probably do to the great sense of humor shown by the poster...

Bravo!

Prairie Pal
Senior MemberPosts: 2,239Gear list
Like?
In reply to digital ed, Apr 25, 2013

+1
I would back you up on that.  Everybody wins.  The people who were led to DPR by googling for "D600 spots" will get the information they need, and plenty to read.  The people who have no interest in the subject aren't forced to scroll past those threads.  And the people who still decide to participate in order to compalin about the subject and scuttle the discussion will have to bare the suspicion of being a manufacturers' propaganda plant.

digital ed
Like?
In reply to Prairie Pal, Apr 25, 2013

Prairie Pal wrote:

+1
I would back you up on that.  Everybody wins.  The people who were led to DPR by googling for "D600 spots" will get the information they need.  The people who have no interest in the subject aren't forced to scroll past those threads.  And the people who still decide to participate in order to compalin about the subject and scuttle the discussion will have to bare the suspicion of being a manufacturers PR plant.

You understand my point. I do not want to limit the ability of anyone else to view any thread they like. However, I would welcome a forum filter that would only affect my view and I could filter to show or not show threads or posts with specific wordings. Just like the forum can use cookies to show which threads or posts I have already viewed by changing the color, put the filtering on the processor in my computer to filter the threads or posts I define. No reason to add additional loading to the DPR server.

bocajrs
Senior MemberPosts: 1,101Gear list
Like?
Re: Don’t worry
In reply to Edmund17, Apr 26, 2013

Edmund17 wrote:

Event_shooter wrote:

Lets all agree the D600 has oil spots, and apparently always will, so we no longer need the millionth thread that you bout a D600 and now you see oil spots.

OK.........................

Don’t worry ……Nikon just replaced my D600 for a new one.…And so far…..It’s working OK…but …its seems that you don’t want to know…..

Like Steve Bingham says….. No problems, great camera, great photos…. hopefully in a few days I'll say the same

Ed.

Hello Ed,

After two failed attempts by Melville Nikon to fix my dust issue ( replaced shutter both times and I highly doubt it) it just when back and have asked Nikon for new D600. I've been without it for almost two months.

Horrible Nikon CS and service if you ask me. If I wasn't so invested in Nikon, I may have jumped ship to the dark C side.

bocajrs's gear list:bocajrs's gear list
Nikon D750 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S Teleconverter TC-17E II Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-120mm f/4G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.8G
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads