NO More D660 OIL threads PLEASE

Started Apr 22, 2013 | Discussions
GregF
Senior MemberPosts: 1,912
Like?
Additional requirements
In reply to Event_shooter, Apr 23, 2013

Event_shooter wrote:

Lets all agree the D600 has oil spots, and apparently always will, so we no longer need the millionth thread that you bout a D600 and now you see oil spots.

Let's all assume that everyone who has a D600

1 - Has spots, and need to send it to Nikon for cleaning

2 - Hate that they have to send it ti Nikon for cleaning

3- Mad at Nikon for still selling the D600 with oil spots

4- Will never buy a Nikon product again

5- Going to buy  Canon

So there we have it all in a nut shell, see we no longer need to discuss it. Unless you start a thread and just use the "code numbers" EXAMPLE:

I bought a D600 and... 1, 2, 3.

How about you send out everything that annoys you in life (and please predict same for the next 20 years of your life), so we know what to not post?

Oh, and I'd also like to propose no new "no ______ posts" threads

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
moving_comfort
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,941Gear list
Like?
The unremitting pedantry of the equipment-wounded
In reply to chlamchowder, Apr 23, 2013

chlamchowder wrote:...

We should also recognize that on the internet, we are absolutely not obligated to read something we don't want to read. It's very easy to scroll past D600 dust threads if you don't want to read more about that topic. I really don't understand why it's a problem. I guess we can divide it into two possible "problems":

• The internet allows for free speech (I personally don't mind - that's one of the things that makes the internet so useful and relevant today)
  • You are unwilling to ignore posts you don't want to read (the I'd suggest the real solution is to learn to ignore posts you don't want to read. It's a pretty valuable skill that applies to a lot of other sites, and to a lot of offline scenarios. Being able to filter through lots of information can be very useful.)

The internet also allows for unremitting pedantry, represented as insight and discovery, over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over again, delivered with an almost Aspergian quality.

In the case where we have an indexed, time-ranked interface to this pedantry, like the front page of the forum, it can detract from what could be an enjoyable experience reading about other, more useful photography-related subjects.

-- hide signature --

Here are a few of my favorite things...
---> http://www.flickr.com/photos/95095968@N00/sets/72157626171532197/

moving_comfort's gear list:moving_comfort's gear list
Pentax K20D Nikon D800 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 300mm f/4D ED-IF Nikon AF Nikkor 20mm f/2.8D +10 more
Robin Casady
Forum ProPosts: 12,013
Like?
Re: NO More D660 OIL threads PLEASE
In reply to Rbrt, Apr 23, 2013

Rbrt wrote:

I am very happy to see these posts and look regularly for posts that say "I bought a D600 with serial no such-and-such and after X,000 clicks, no oil spots!"

When I see that, THEN I might decide to buy one. As long as I keep seeing posts that say people are having this problem, I will keep looking until I find a suitable camera.

I thought the D600 was going to be it, but sadly, so far it is not.

There have been several posts like this. Unfortunately it doesn't mean anything because not all D600 have the spotting problem. So, one clean camera does not mean all from that point on will be clean.

There have also been multiple posts about Nikon service centers replacing the shutter and the problem going away. Then there have been multiple posts (often redundant posts by the same people) claiming that their D600 has been repaired numerous times and still spews spots.

I don't see how this issue can be resolved on this forum. We've had reports that Nikon is fixing the problem, and we've had claims that they are not.

A few angry people want to see this issue stay at the top of the forum, and many of us are tired of their whining.

-- hide signature --

Robin Casady
http://www.robincasady.com/Photo/index.html
"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts."
— Bertrand Russell

Chris in Sacto
Forum MemberPosts: 52
Like?
In reply to Steve Bingham, Apr 23, 2013

Steve Bingham wrote:

Chris in Sacto wrote:

chlamchowder wrote:

Event_shooter wrote:

Lets all agree the D600 has oil spots, and apparently always will, so we no longer need the millionth thread that you bout a D600 and now you see oil spots.

Let's all assume that everyone who has a D600

1 - Has spots, and need to send it to Nikon for cleaning

2 - Hate that they have to send it ti Nikon for cleaning

3- Mad at Nikon for still selling the D600 with oil spots

4- Will never buy a Nikon product again

5- Going to buy  Canon

So there we have it all in a nut shell, see we no longer need to discuss it. Unless you start a thread and just use the "code numbers" EXAMPLE:

I bought a D600 and... 1, 2, 3.

We should also recognize that on the internet, we are absolutely not obligated to read something we don't want to read. It's very easy to scroll past D600 dust threads if you don't want to read more about that topic. I really don't understand why it's a problem. I guess we can divide it into two possible "problems":

I must admit that I am tired of seeing posts on the D600 dust/debris issue also, so I just choose to ignore them and move on to more interesting posts. Someday, if I see a post that reads:  "D600 oil spot issue fixed" I will definitely choose to take a look .

Been fixed for months from the right distributor. Where you been?

I've been here, reading the (still current) posts of people who have purchased the camera and are still experiencing the issue.  When I said "fixed", I meant by Nikon. Not by some distibutor, where a person has to send in their camera for parts replacement. Frankly, I don't see the issue as a deal breaker, as this is truly an exceptional camera and it is not hard to clean a sensor.

-C

AZBlue
Contributing MemberPosts: 866Gear list
Like?

How about you just not read those threads? Do you complain to TV stations that they shouldn't air programming with certain mentions because you are tired of watching those shows? No, you change the channel. Why don't you do the same here?

-- hide signature --

"I've been in more laps than a napkin" - Mae West

AZBlue's gear list:AZBlue's gear list
Nikon D800 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 16-35mm f/4G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF Nikkor 20mm f/2.8D Sigma 150mm F2.8 EX DG OS Macro HSM +1 more
Leo360
Senior MemberPosts: 1,036Gear list
Like?

Event_shooter wrote:

I see no problem with someone starting a D600 oil/dust thread if this issue is important for them provided they follow the forum rules. Attempts to arbitrary limit the scope of discussion on this forum is rude and counterproductive. If YOU, Sir, are not interested in the topic, ignore the thread and move on to the next. As easy as that.

Leo

Leo360's gear list:Leo360's gear list
Nikon D5100 Nikon D750 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR II Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-120mm f/4G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.8G
chlamchowder
Senior MemberPosts: 2,083Gear list
Like?
Re: The unremitting pedantry of the equipment-wounded
In reply to moving_comfort, Apr 23, 2013

The internet also allows for unremitting pedantry, represented as insight and discovery, over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over again, delivered with an almost Aspergian quality.

Yes, that is one possible shortcoming of free speech...but I'm willing to tolerate that because preventing people from posting stuff I don't want to hear about has pretty bad consequences.

In the case where we have an indexed, time-ranked interface to this pedantry, like the front page of the forum, it can detract from what could be an enjoyable experience reading about other, more useful photography-related subjects.

I think this is where we differ. I don't think a forum's main purpose is to provide enjoyable reading. To me, a forum should first aim to provide a space for discussion, question-asking, and debate.

But I still don't think dust/left focus/whatever threads detract from the experience as long as you can scroll past them and look at only what you're interested in. It can be difficult to filter out information, but I think that skill is useful in a wide variety of situations (outside of this site, and even outside the internet), and therefore is definitely worth learning.

Next time you see the forum index, for each post, think about whether you're interested. If not, move on. You don't have to look into it, or even think about it. If you get to the end of the front page, you can always move to the next page. After a while, you'll train your mind to automatically ignore posts you're not interested in, so all the time you spend on the forum will be focused on topics you do care about.

chlamchowder's gear list:chlamchowder's gear list
Sony Alpha DSLR-A580 Nikon D600 Sony DT 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 SAM +8 more
Midwest
Forum ProPosts: 14,138
Like?

chlamchowder wrote:

I must admit that I am tired of seeing posts on the D600 dust/debris issue also, so I just choose to ignore them and move on to more interesting posts. Someday, if I see a post that reads:  "D600 oil spot issue fixed" I will definitely choose to take a look .

-C

I think we're all tired of seeing such posts. The problem is pretty well known already. But I don't think there's anything wrong about people continuing to discuss the issue, even if I don't take much interest in that anymore.

If someone lays out substantial money and gets a defective product, they have a right to vent.

-- hide signature --

It's nice to say that nice pictures are nice.

Midwest
Forum ProPosts: 14,138
Like?
In reply to Chris in Sacto, Apr 23, 2013

Chris in Sacto wrote:
Frankly, I don't see the issue as a deal breaker, as this is truly an exceptional camera and it is not hard to clean a sensor.

But, to be frank, isn't that like saying "My new 500XYZ turbo sports car is so great, I really don't care that it leaks oil on my driveway. I can clean it up.'"?

Shouldn't something work properly?

kiirokurisu
Regular MemberPosts: 385
Like?
In reply to AZBlue, Apr 23, 2013

Actually, I think you'll find television viewers do just that - they send in complaints about things that offend or bore them, despite the fact that they could simply not watch or change the channel. This is one of the ways the station can be shaped to the wants of its target audience.

Same goes for this forum. A not insubstantial number of folks are tired of seeing the same issues posted ad nauseam despite everyone being extremely familiar with the issue and a simple search being able to reveal all necessary knowledge to a newcomer. Are you suggesting that in an open forum debate about what content should and shouldn't be posted should itself be silenced?

kiirokurisu
Regular MemberPosts: 385
Like?
In reply to Leo360, Apr 23, 2013

I submit to you that "me too" complaint threads like those about oil spots suck the life out of a forum by occupying the active members in responding to these pointless posts - rather like a very effective and persistent troll.

Robin Casady
Forum ProPosts: 12,013
Like?
In reply to kiirokurisu, Apr 23, 2013

kiirokurisu wrote:

I submit to you that "me too" complaint threads like those about oil spots suck the life out of a forum by occupying the active members in responding to these pointless posts - rather like a very effective and persistent troll.

I agree. It is the repetitive nature that is offensive. A few members post the same complaint over and over and over. This does hurt the forum and has caused some members to get fed up with it an leave.

-- hide signature --

Robin Casady
http://www.robincasady.com/Photo/index.html
"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts."
— Bertrand Russell

Prairie Pal
Senior MemberPosts: 2,239Gear list
Like?
Do you suffer from OCD ?

Event_shooter wrote:

Unless a D600 spot thread is disguised with a misleading title you have no reason to look, so you have no reason to complain about them.  There are many thread topics that I'm not interested in and I have no problem skimming over the titles and ignoring them.  For those who can't muster the will power to do the same, I suggest a visit to their doctor to discuss OCD.

The only people with a vested interest in governing discussions in public forums are the ones who are paid  (or dillusionally self appointed) for damage control and brand promotion under the guise of Joe-Forum Member.

Prairie Pal
Like?
In reply to Robin Casady, Apr 23, 2013

Robin Casady wrote:

kiirokurisu wrote:

I agree. It is the repetitive nature that is offensive. A few members post the same complaint over and over and over. This does hurt the forum and has caused some members to get fed up with it an leave.

And then return in some cases. 

Prairie Pal
Like?
In reply to Rbrt, Apr 23, 2013

Rbrt wrote:

I am very happy to see these posts and look regularly for posts that say "I bought a D600 with serial no such-and-such and after X,000 clicks, no oil spots!"

When I see that, THEN I might decide to buy one. As long as I keep seeing posts that say people are having this problem, I will keep looking until I find a suitable camera.

I thought the D600 was going to be it, but sadly, so far it is not.

I'm happy that you dodged this bullet.  While there are lots of good points about the D600, if the debris issue is one that would spoil your enjoyment and lessen it's usefullness to you then I'm glad you found these threads before you wasted your money.

leicaman
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,637
Like?
In reply to Chris in Sacto, Apr 23, 2013
Try cleaning a sensor each 15 exposures when on vacation... or during a wedding shoot....
Not doable.

I've been here, reading the (still current) posts of people who have purchased the camera and are still experiencing the issue.  When I said "fixed", I meant by Nikon. Not by some distibutor, where a person has to send in their camera for parts replacement. Frankly, I don't see the issue as a deal breaker, as this is truly an exceptional camera and it is not hard to clean a sensor.

-C

leicaman
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,637
Like?
Re: I want the D666...
In reply to Bohemien, Apr 23, 2013

THAT's the problem.  It's really the D666

Bohemien wrote:

...must be a HELL of a camera!

-- hide signature --
AZBlue
Contributing MemberPosts: 866Gear list
Like?
In reply to kiirokurisu, Apr 23, 2013

kiirokurisu wrote:

Same goes for this forum. A not insubstantial number of folks are tired of seeing the same issues posted ad nauseam despite everyone being extremely familiar with the issue and a simple search being able to reveal all necessary knowledge to a newcomer. Are you suggesting that in an open forum debate about what content should and shouldn't be posted should itself be silenced?

Openly debating your question makes the question irrelevant, does it not?

The OP is suggesting silencing those who are complaining about their D600, and when I tell the OP to change the channel you suggest, negatively and with an awful lot of hubris, that I'm trying to silence those who are trying to silence others. My goodness, the hypocrisy!

-- hide signature --

"I've been in more laps than a napkin" - Mae West

AZBlue's gear list:AZBlue's gear list
Nikon D800 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 16-35mm f/4G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF Nikkor 20mm f/2.8D Sigma 150mm F2.8 EX DG OS Macro HSM +1 more
moving_comfort
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,941Gear list
Like?
Kindergarten II, the Sequel

chlamchowder wrote:

Yes, that is one possible shortcoming of free speech...but I'm willing to tolerate that because preventing people from posting stuff I don't want to hear about has pretty bad consequences.

I think this is where we differ. I don't think a forum's main purpose is to provide enjoyable reading. To me, a forum should first aim to provide a space for discussion, question-asking, and debate.

But I still don't think dust/left focus/whatever threads detract from the experience as long as you can scroll past them and look at only what you're interested in. It can be difficult to filter out information, but I think that skill is useful in a wide variety of situations (outside of this site, and even outside the internet), and therefore is definitely worth learning.

Except no-one comes here to learn how to 'filter out information', they come to gather information.

Filtering out information is something you learned long before you came here;  listing that as a positive by-product of using this forum is like saying learning how to recover from injury is a great reason for playing sports.

Next time you see the forum index, for each post, think about whether you're interested. If not, move on. You don't have to look into it, or even think about it.

Really?  I wish I had thought of that!  

If you get to the end of the front page, you can always move to the next page. After a while, you'll train your mind to automatically ignore posts you're not interested in, so all the time you spend on the forum will be focused on topics you do care about.

Thanks for the tips, but you're not talking to kindergartners here.  We know how to use the forum, and we know when it's being polluted by inane, repetitive me-too posts.

-- hide signature --

Here are a few of my favorite things...
---> http://www.flickr.com/photos/95095968@N00/sets/72157626171532197/

moving_comfort's gear list:moving_comfort's gear list
Pentax K20D Nikon D800 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 300mm f/4D ED-IF Nikon AF Nikkor 20mm f/2.8D +10 more
unknown member
(unknown member)
Like?
Re: Do you suffer from OCD ? OCD ma er OCD...OCD..?? you mean OCD...right?
In reply to Prairie Pal, Apr 24, 2013

Prairie Pal wrote:

Event_shooter wrote:

Unless a D600 spot thread is disguised with a misleading title you have no reason to look, so you have no reason to complain about them.  There are many thread topics that I'm not interested in and I have no problem skimming over the titles and ignoring them.  For those who can't muster the will power to do the same, I suggest a visit to their doctor to discuss OCD.

The only people with a vested interest in governing discussions in public forums are the ones who are paid  (or dillusionally self appointed) for damage control and brand promotion under the guise of Joe-Forum Member.

I think you mean OCD..OCD...OCD? Right....that is OCD? Right? Like OCD?

-- hide signature --

Enjoy.....believe in yourself..

Bajerunner's gear list:Bajerunner's gear list
Nikon D300 Nikon AF-Nikkor 80-200mm f/2.8D ED +8 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads