Rick Knepper
Veteran MemberPosts: 9,662Gear list
Like?
Obama backs Internet sales tax bill
Apr 22, 2013

http://news.yahoo.com/white-house-obama-backs-internet-174629905.html

Buy your 5D3s quickly.

-- hide signature --

Rick Knepper, photographer, non-professional, shooting for pleasure, check my profile for gear list and philosophy.

Rick Knepper's gear list:Rick Knepper's gear list
Nikon D3X Nikon D800E Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EOS 6D Canon TS-E 17mm f/4L +16 more
Canon EOS 5D Mark III
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Timbukto
Senior MemberPosts: 3,086Gear list
Like?
Re: Obama backs Internet sales tax bill
In reply to Rick Knepper, Apr 22, 2013

Rick Knepper wrote:

http://news.yahoo.com/white-house-obama-backs-internet-174629905.html

Buy your 5D3s quickly.

-- hide signature --

Rick Knepper, photographer, non-professional, shooting for pleasure, check my profile for gear list and philosophy.

I just bought my 6D, but I heard the exact same thing...that its coming down very quickly that many out of state e-tailers will need to incorporate sales tax depending on customer location, etc.

I got my 6D at a killer price, it may be the last good deal I see that isn't from CL.  On the other hand I can only imagine that CL prices to go slightly up (i.e. resale values will inch upwards as CL will now always be considered cheaper due to sales tax, etc).

No idea if I should be adding pricy telephotos now or not if I can find them for cheap.

Timbukto's gear list:Timbukto's gear list
Canon EOS M Canon EOS 6D Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM Canon EF 200mm f/2.8L II USM +1 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
KENTGA
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,301Gear list
Like?
In reply to Timbukto, Apr 22, 2013

Thanks for the info, Rick. I live in GA and the state legislature passed a law earlier this year but apparently the guys in NY haven't gotten the message. I've bought a 6D from NY and no sales tax.

Kent O.

KENTGA's gear list:KENTGA's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ150 Canon EOS 5D Canon EOS 40D Canon EOS 7D Canon EOS 6D +14 more
DaytonR
Regular MemberPosts: 207
Like?
In reply to Rick Knepper, Apr 23, 2013

Oh no , No, NO ! This sucks !!  I fear this has set a precedent and soon enough this might happen in Canada and before you know it in Great Britain , Europe etc etc  .........I hope I am wrong but I cant help but fear this is the begining of a slippery slope ......

jcampy
Senior MemberPosts: 1,031
Like?
In reply to DaytonR, Apr 23, 2013

Democrats have never seen a tax they didn't like.

Suave
Contributing MemberPosts: 951Gear list
Like?
In reply to jcampy, Apr 23, 2013

This tax is demanded by the states, and the states, by a large margin are governed by the Republicans.   If you count governors and exclude states with no sales tax you endup with 2:1 ratio.

jcampy wrote:

Suave's gear list:Suave's gear list
Olympus PEN E-PL2 Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS USM +2 more
nordilux
Forum MemberPosts: 96
Like?
That subject line is just silly

This has been in the working for a long, long time and is aimed to get the finances of states in order (something like 35 out of 50 states are in the reds). I know, it all sucks for us consumers but in all honesty, it isn't a fair playing field for brick and mortars that have to compete.

It was just a matter of time before this was going to happen.

lightform
Forum MemberPosts: 80Gear list
Like?
Re: That subject line is just silly
In reply to nordilux, Apr 23, 2013

This should come as a surprise to no one, it has been in the "works" for years and the states are hungry for revenue from any and all sources. It will happen sooner than later, better get used to it.

lightform's gear list:lightform's gear list
Canon EOS 400D Canon EOS 7D Canon EOS 6D
chironNYC
Senior MemberPosts: 1,366
Like?
When will the government have enough of our money?

Two questions:

When will the government say thy have taken enough of our money?

If there is a national internet sales tax, does that give the federal and state governments the right to audit internet communications?

James Cricket
Regular MemberPosts: 134
Like?
In reply to Suave, Apr 23, 2013

Suave wrote:

This tax is demanded by the states, and the states, by a large margin are governed by the Republicans.   If you count governors and exclude states with no sales tax you endup with 2:1 ratio.

jcampy wrote:

Exactly. They trumpet tax cuts and freedoms but try to get you through the back door while catering to corporate interests and "defending" marriage.  'Merica

CameraCarl
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,189Gear list
Like?
In reply to James Cricket, Apr 23, 2013

Too bad this is happening about two-three years too late to save some of the great brick and mortar camera stores that were driven out of business by showrooming.  In Michigan there used to be seven great camera/video stores and now only two are left and one is a mere shadow of itself. If people hadn't been so mercenary and willing to do anything to save the last few percent of the price of a camera, we might still be able to go into a store and browse before buying.

CameraCarl's gear list:CameraCarl's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-6 Canon EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6L IS USM Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM Sony E 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 PZ OSS Sony Vario-Tessar T* E 16-70mm F4 ZA OSS +1 more
jayrandomer
Contributing MemberPosts: 626
Like?
If you don't like sales tax move to New Hampshire
In reply to James Cricket, Apr 23, 2013

James Cricket wrote:

Suave wrote:

jcampy wrote:

Exactly. They trumpet tax cuts and freedoms but try to get you through the back door while catering to corporate interests and "defending" marriage.  'Merica

First off, this isn't a tax, it's simply an improved mechanism for collecting existing taxes.  If you're lucky enough to already live in New Hampshire you're still going to get most things tax free because there's no sales tax in New Hampshire.

And many states offset a low or non-existent income tax with sales tax, so being able to properly collect sales taxes is something they would like.   To collect taxes outside of their state, however, likely requires the intervention of the federal government (a legitimate use of the "interstate commerce clause").

I think it's silly to blame Obama or Republicans for this; it's a deficiency in the sales-tax structure that wasn't really important until large-scale shipping of products across state lines became common.

Doc Mo
Junior MemberPosts: 37Gear list
Like?
In reply to CameraCarl, Apr 23, 2013

True about "showrooming". I'm in Michigan, where are the nice camera stores? Can't seem to find any near me that count.

I've been waiting on the 5DIII. I was tempted when it was $3490 as the kit and waited too late. Now it's up to $3800 or so. If it comes back down to $3500 range within next week or so, I'm in. Of course, taxes might kick in as early as this week.

Doc Mo's gear list:Doc Mo's gear list
Olympus XZ-1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX7 Canon EOS 650D Canon EOS 6D Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II +8 more
Suave
Like?
In reply to CameraCarl, Apr 23, 2013

You see, I think the assumption that sales taxes would help local businesses is nothing but wishful thinking.  Local <camera> stores won't beat B&H and Amazon on price and selection, won't beat them on convenience.  The only way they can compete is by providing superior service and I don't see much of that.

Olympus PEN E-PL2 Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS USM +2 more
sean lancaster
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,175Gear list
Like?
In reply to Doc Mo, Apr 23, 2013

Doc Mo wrote:

True about "showrooming". I'm in Michigan, where are the nice camera stores? Can't seem to find any near me that count.

I've been waiting on the 5DIII. I was tempted when it was $3490 as the kit and waited too late. Now it's up to $3800 or so. If it comes back down to $3500 range within next week or so, I'm in. Of course, taxes might kick in as early as this week.

I am in Michigan as well. When we did taxes 2 weeks ago, the state form asked about internet purchases so I don't get your concern unless you're lying about your internet purchases. My wife and I went through and found about 7 thousand dollars worth of internet purchases via Amazon and some other retailers and we reported it all because you sign your taxes saying you're being truthful. I look forward to having the process become more formalized as it saves us a lot of time trying to add up our purchases each April. Norman Camera has a decent presence online, but they have a shop right in my city. The only reason I didn't buy my 6D from them is that they were $100 more than B&H before taxes.

sean lancaster's gear list:sean lancaster's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-5N Sony Alpha 7 Voigtlander 35mm F1.2 Nokton Sony FE 55mm F1.8 +2 more
DVT80111
Senior MemberPosts: 1,259Gear list
Like?
Is Craiglist a public stock company?

They haven't figured how to collect tax on craiglist transaction yet?

DVT80111's gear list:DVT80111's gear list
Sony RX100 Canon EOS 550D Fujifilm X-E1 Canon EOS 70D
rrr_hhh
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,916Gear list
Like?
In reply to DaytonR, Apr 23, 2013

DaytonR wrote:

Oh no , No, NO ! This sucks !!  I fear this has set a precedent and soon enough this might happen in Canada and before you know it in Great Britain , Europe etc etc  .........I hope I am wrong but I cant help but fear this is the begining of a slippery slope ......

It is just fair that people living in the same country pay the same sale tax !  And that for those who buy oversea the custom apply the sale tax of the destination state. If you don't do that, the brick and mortar shops of the country are disadvantaged with respect to foreign countries or online retailers.

-- hide signature --

rrr_hhh

Suave
Like?
In reply to rrr_hhh, Apr 23, 2013

All other tax rates are not the same?  Why sales tax should be?

rrr_hhh
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,916Gear list
Like?

Suave wrote:

All other tax rates are not the same?  Why sales tax should be?

I don't think that they should necessarily be the same, but they should be collected from every customer through the retailers and in an effective manner.

-- hide signature --

rrr_hhh

Bryan Cady
Regular MemberPosts: 203
Like?

The point of paying a tax is pay for government services.  In this case, state services...why should I be taxed by a state such as NY where I am getting no services from.

Yes I understand it isn't a level playing field but the government should come up with a fairer tax way.  The government isn't concerned about the businesses losing sales because of this.  This is a money grab, plan and simple.

bc

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads