Worth it to upgrade from an HS10 to HS50?

Started Apr 22, 2013 | Questions
lauredis
New MemberPosts: 4Gear list
Like?
Worth it to upgrade from an HS10 to HS50?
Apr 22, 2013

Hey guys and girls,

For the past 2 years I got a fantastic HS10. 30x zoom , all around camera. And I still am learning it.

In short I can sell this for 200Euros and give 250E more for the HS50 but is it worth it really?

So far I am really happy with it for Landscapes and Architecture, less happy for indoors.

Even night scenery is awesome with the HS10. Bracketing and HDR is a serious plus.

Occasionally I take a video or 2 of a lecture but the HD stops every 30mins

Also I cannot use at the same time an external monitor like the normal camcorders do.

The stabilization mechanism could be better but I consider that I have quite steady hands.

Blurring the background is really difficult if not impossible. Since HS50 has the same f stops I get that it also might be hard to get blurred backgrounds.

From the specifications I cannot say that there are so major differences that could excuse the 250E more for the HS50

What do you say?

http://www.digicamdb.com/compare/fujifilm_finepix-hs50-exr-vs-fujifilm_finepix-hs10/

Some of my samples

ANSWER:
FujiFilm FinePix HS10 (FinePix HS11)
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Danielepaolo
Senior MemberPosts: 4,269
Like?
Re: Worth it to upgrade from an HS10 to HS50?
In reply to lauredis, Apr 22, 2013

lauredis wrote:

Hey guys and girls,

For the past 2 years I got a fantastic HS10. 30x zoom , all around camera. And I still am learning it.

In short I can sell this for 200Euros and give 250E more for the HS50 but is it worth it really?

So far I am really happy with it for Landscapes and Architecture, less happy for indoors.

I would think the upgrade is worth it if you need improved handling such as fasting write speeds etc, camera not locking up while writing. For landscapes and architecture where you have plenty of time perhaps you won't notice how slow the HS10 can be.

From an IQ point of view it seems you are getting what you need out of the HS10 so again maybe not worth the upgrade but then we all want more. Good luck in deciding.

-- hide signature --

Apologies if my lack of photographic knowledge is catching.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Dr JLW
Contributing MemberPosts: 524
Like?
In reply to lauredis, Apr 22, 2013

HI I recently went from an HS-10 to and HS-30 due to a very good close out price on "30".

My Hs-10 has a worn out tripod socket but was otherwise  in great shape.  What really did it for me were

1) Availability of remote release

2) Dedicated flash mode

3) Much faster processing of in camera panorama shots.

I have yet to try to exploit the EXr modes but I suspect they will let me shoot JPEGS in tough light situations.

The 50 is a lot more money and much quicker to use.  In my case these were not big factors since I have learned to accommodate and appreciate what the HS-10 could do.

So far I have not traveled with it but I suspect I will grow to appreciate the proprietary batteries.  I had a persistent problem with the battery compartment and replacing four AA cells when it popped open and generally changing batteries in sets of four on the run in a crowded square an Rome and Florence was a real pain.

I'd suggest you look at a close out 30 or go to the HS-50.  I don't think the HS-35 is an alternative.

One thing about the dedicated flash which may be a nuisance is that with it selected and if the flash battery is low the shutter will not fire.

Danielepaolo
Senior MemberPosts: 4,269
Like?
In reply to Dr JLW, Apr 22, 2013

Dr JLW wrote:

HI I recently went from an HS-10 to and HS-30 due to a very good close out price on "30".

You have me thinking that if someone can get 200 euro for their HS10 they should take it as the HS30 won't be too much more.

-- hide signature --

Apologies if my lack of photographic knowledge is catching.

Dr JLW
Contributing MemberPosts: 524
Like?
In reply to Danielepaolo, Apr 23, 2013

That is about what I paid in the US for my HS-30 including a case and 4Gig card.

It all depends on whether you want to trade for your HS-10.

Lloydy
Forum ProPosts: 18,857Gear list
Like?
Lauredis ...
In reply to lauredis, Apr 23, 2013

lauredis wrote:

Hey guys and girls,

Even night scenery is awesome with the HS10. Bracketing and HDR is a serious plus.

Occasionally I take a video or 2 of a lecture but the HD stops every 30mins

Also I cannot use at the same time an external monitor like the normal camcorders do.

The stabilization mechanism could be better but I consider that I have quite steady hands.

Blurring the background is really difficult if not impossible. Since HS50 has the same f stops I get that it also might be hard to get blurred backgrounds.

From the specifications I cannot say that there are so major differences that could excuse the 250E more for the HS50

What do you say?

... I had the HS10 and really enjoyed it. Some stuff about it here - HS10 Posts

I bought the HS30 EXR some months back and I then bought the HS50 EXR a month ago.

My advice, don't go from the HS10 to the HS30 EXR. Get the HS50 EXR. IQ is the same but the HS50 EXR has much better balance, better ergonomics and usability and, above all, much faster write times than the HS30 EXR.

Some of my images - My HS50 EXR - Edits Gallery

The settings I am using - HS50 EXR - My Current Settings

http://www.digicamdb.com/compare/fujifilm_finepix-hs50-exr-vs-fujifilm_finepix-hs10/

Some of my samples

-- hide signature --

Cheers, Dave

MitchyK7
Regular MemberPosts: 131
Like?
Re: Lauredis ...
In reply to Lloydy, Apr 23, 2013

I went from HS20 to HS50, and the difference is night and day for me, but it will depend on what you consider important. Things i've liked so far;

Much faster write speeds to card. I can keep taking single shots for quite a while before the camera needs to catch up. In Burst mode you have choices for 3/6/11 shots per second, with L mode limited to around shots if i remember rightly, and M mode seems to keep going for me, but it will also depend on if you are using a fast card too.

Focus speed is phenomenal compared to the HS20, In moderate to good light it's practically instantaneous and even in low light it's very quick for the most part. If it's really dark it will struggle though, but usually still manages it unless it's something very far away. Also the focus speeds seem to be just as quick at both ends of the zoom, or at least for me so far.

Some of the Adv. mode effects are actually quite useful. The Pro low light mode gives pleasing results, and as for your blurry background (bokeh?) shots, the HS50 has a dedicated mode just for that. It will blur the background out behind an object or person. Bear in mind though, there needs to be a distance behind your subject, or the effect won't work. A workaround for your HS10, which i used on my 20 is to take a portrait shot in Macro mode, as this lower the depth of field and can be quite effective, but it depends on how you want your shots to look. You also need to keep your zoom at the lower end for better chances of success.

I also like the dynamic tone mode for architecture it's great for abstracts of things with texture, so zoom into a brick in a castle and it will give it great texture. There's a few other modes like colour popping, instagram like and they all work well if you like those kinds of styles and don't want to use photoshop to do your own.

The long reach on the HS50's zoom is amazing, picking out detail from the other side of a field, getting right up close to flying birds, animals etc without disturbing them. It's a very versatile zoom going from 24mm wide to 1000mm tele. At 24mm it has F2.8 which can be used to blur out backgrounds, it depends on the distance, i read somewhere you normally need about 4 times the distance or more between your subject and the background as there is between your camera and the subject. So if your subject is 5 feet away, the background should be 20 or more feet away. But that's gonna depepnd on the aperture and i'm sure somebody here will know of a focal chart or bokeh table for different apertures, i'll be surprised if they don't! lol

The feel and layout of the camera is better too, rubber grips where you actually need them, buttons in much better places, except for the quick buttons down the left hand side, they've been replaced with a 'Q' button which opens up a grid menu with various functions on it. You move around with the D-pad, and then change with the command dial. It works very well once you get used to it. But i had to be done to make room for the full tilt and swivel LCD which is great for composing shots where you can't get behind the camera, from macros on the ground to overhead shots. It's nice and bright too so no trouble viewing it outside.

Those are some of the reasons i'm happy going from HS20 to HS50, so imagine it would be the same going from Hs10 to HS50, but it depends on what you need. I can take a lot more shots in a shorter amount of time, the zoom reaches further, and it focuses quicker and better. But if you're happy with the HS10 i'd recommend asking a store for a trial or something, so you can see if you'll notice the same benefits. But for me it was totally worth it!

Good luck!

selected answer This post was selected as the answer by the original poster.
jcmarfilph
Senior MemberPosts: 7,592Gear list
Like?
In reply to Danielepaolo, Apr 23, 2013

HS50 is lightyears ahead in terms of speed versus the HS10.

HS50 is also better in IQ especially on the JPEG because HS10 doesn't have NR control.

HS50 is also better in build, handling and ergo.

HS50 is even worth it upgrade for HS30 so YES definitely worth it.

-=[ Joms ]=-

jcmarfilph's gear list:jcmarfilph's gear list
Fujifilm X20 Fujifilm FinePix HS50 EXR +1 more
paulsinclair73
Junior MemberPosts: 38
Like?
In reply to jcmarfilph, Apr 23, 2013

As someone who sold his HS10 and took the plunge with the HS50 I would say it's worth every penny.

Good points for me. Focussing methods and speed / shot times are lightening quick (apart from low light) - way way quicker than HS10 / fold out rear screen / EVF improvements / feel of camera / extra zoom range / q button access to settings.

Those are the ones I can think of off the top of my head. IQ is marginally better real world but if you're a 100% zoomer you can definitely see the HS50 produces cleaner shots with less smearing. An 8x10 at arms length and it wouldn't be so easy.

Cheers

Paul

Me Tarzan
Senior MemberPosts: 1,392Gear list
Like?
In reply to lauredis, Apr 23, 2013

HS10 is a good camera and you have images to back this up. I agree with Dave's [Lloydy] comments. From my observance point he is an excellent photographer, he has shot images in a variety of lighting situations and has owned most of the HS line up. Going from the 10 to the 50 as he recommended is great advice.

-- hide signature --

Frank

Lyle Aldridge
Contributing MemberPosts: 561
Like?
In reply to Dr JLW, Apr 23, 2013

Dr JLW wrote:

I'd suggest you look at a close out 30 or go to the HS-50.  I don't think the HS-35 is an alternative.

What's the problem with the HS-35? Fuji's assortment of very similar-looking bridge-type cameras is really bewildering.

lauredis
New MemberPosts: 4Gear list
Like?
Re: Lauredis ...
In reply to Lloydy, Apr 25, 2013

Thanks for your reply. the clear and beautiful pictures you shot with the hs50 did make it clear why the hs50 is a better choice.

If you are interested pls take a look at my HDR photography page

It contains many beautiful pics.

I believe you will be especially interested for this pic

The source of most are 3 to 5 bracketed pics except from the birds on the air

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads