DxO 6D?

Started Apr 22, 2013 | Discussions
JOrmsby
Forum MemberPosts: 59Gear list
Like?
DxO 6D?
Apr 22, 2013

Hi,

I'm in the market to go full-frame from a Nikon d5100. I'm not heavily vested in Nikon DX so I've been taking a real close look at the 6D and D600. I shoot mostly landscapes, and really like the Canon's 'color,' and whole system a bit better than the Nikon.

My trouble is that i keep reading everywhere how much better the sensor is on the Nikon. Especially over at DxO, where the 6D's sensor is rated barely better than my older D5100, and in fact the dynamic range on the D5100 is 1.5 EV greater than the newer and full framed 6D. So I'm wondering from your experience, how much does this matter in real world shooting? Would the 6D really be a step back except in high ISO/low-light situations? Is DxO even that accurate or trustworthy, it seems all their top-rated equipment is Nikon?

thanks in advance,

j

JOrmsby's gear list:JOrmsby's gear list
Nikon D600 Olympus OM-D E-M10 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 85mm f/1.8G Sigma 35mm F1.4 DG HSM Nikon AF-S Nikkor 18-35mm f/3.5-4.5G ED +1 more
Canon EOS 6D Nikon D5100 Nikon D600
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Keith Z Leonard
Senior MemberPosts: 3,968Gear list
Like?
Re: DxO 6D?
In reply to JOrmsby, Apr 22, 2013

In landscape is probably where the DR matters the most.  The D800 seems like the no brainer decision right now for a landscape photographer, especially if you are going to print huge.  Do you shoot HDR often?  That pretty much eliminates any difference anyway, as shooting HDR means that you can span a much greater DR than either camera.

DR is pretty much the only area in which I would expect the 5100 to be "better" than the 6D.  DXO's measurements seem odd to me, and at odds with a lot of other review sites.  The rate the d600 as having higher ISO performance than the 6D and in head to head comparisons I just don't see it.  Look at some of the ISO video reviews and the 6D is dominating there, for instance.  It's just confusing.

I can't imagine the 5100 winning in low ISO noise either, honestly, other than when pushing shadows which is a function of the dynamic range difference.

Not sure this helps, just some thoughts.

Keith Z Leonard's gear list:Keith Z Leonard's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EF 70-200mm f/4.0L USM Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS USM Sigma 50mm F1.4 EX DG HSM Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM +13 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Timbukto
Senior MemberPosts: 3,079Gear list
Like?
In reply to JOrmsby, Apr 22, 2013

JOrmsby wrote:

Hi,

I'm in the market to go full-frame from a Nikon d5100. I'm not heavily vested in Nikon DX so I've been taking a real close look at the 6D and D600. I shoot mostly landscapes, and really like the Canon's 'color,' and whole system a bit better than the Nikon.

My trouble is that i keep reading everywhere how much better the sensor is on the Nikon. Especially over at DxO, where the 6D's sensor is rated barely better than my older D5100, and in fact the dynamic range on the D5100 is 1.5 EV greater than the newer and full framed 6D. So I'm wondering from your experience, how much does this matter in real world shooting? Would the 6D really be a step back except in high ISO/low-light situations? Is DxO even that accurate or trustworthy, it seems all their top-rated equipment is Nikon?

thanks in advance,

j

How often do you aggressively pull shadows?  You can see for yourself that the D5100 still has cleaner shadows than the 6D, just pull each respective ISO 100 shot from the DPReview studio comparison RAWS and pull up the shadows or make exposure adjustments in LR.  On the otherhand the Canon 6D with many lenses is going to be pulling in around 15-17 MP's of detail via DxOMark's PMP rating, while the D5100 will be pulling in 10 or maybe 11 tops.  The extra detail might help make up for the base ISO DR difference as well and past ISO 400 the Canon just runs away with the lead.  The D5100 is incredibly clean in shadow pulling..it probably even beats the D5200, etc in terms of very aggressive shadow pulling.

Dynamic range here is not very different from dynamic range in audio.  A very high dynamic range recording system would allow you to take say the smallest most minuscule sounds such as the turning of paper, or accidental cough in the audience of a live concert etc and amplify that sound rather cleanly.  A lesser dynamic range audio recording system would bring up background noise such as hiss, etc that will make those minuscule sounds less clear if even audible at all when gain is added.  And depending on creative or artistic intent or reproduction or demands of the typical listener, it may be deemed unnecessary to add too much gain at all to such low level sounds.

The fact that the Canon 6D most likely is pulling in 6-7 extra PMP's over the D5100 for most lens choices is nothing to scoff at (taking a look at the 5DMKII and 5DMKIII as a reference and that the Canon 6D might comfortably sit inbetween the two regardless of lesser MP).  On the other hand it is moderately stopped down where FF sensor advantages loses a good deal of its edge from what I can see with my eyes.

Timbukto's gear list:Timbukto's gear list
Canon EOS M Canon EOS 6D Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM Canon EF 200mm f/2.8L II USM +1 more
GregF
Senior MemberPosts: 1,912
Like?
In reply to JOrmsby, Apr 24, 2013

JOrmsby wrote:

Hi,

thanks in advance,

j

I have a D600 and I think the 6D has better high ISO performance (above ISO 3200 or so).  If you shoot RAW the difference lessens, but the 6D JPG engine does a better job and noise reduction.  I think the D600 can resolve a slight bit more detail at low ISO. But this is mostly a pixel-peeping exercise.

As far as the DR thing, I don't think it matters too much if you have a handle on how you want to expose things.  Any camera has trouble with high contrast strong sun scenes, you just have to choose how you want to expose the scene.

Honestly the camera that feels better in your hand, the features you like, and the lens selection that makes sense to you, is more important than lab tests.  Personally I get the impression that DxO results are based on equipment-measurable quantities/qualities that don't seem to matter too much when just looking at actual photographs.

MrScorpio
Senior MemberPosts: 1,351Gear list
Like?
In reply to JOrmsby, Apr 25, 2013

Hi

personally I use a graduated ND filter, which often overcome any DR difficulties in landscape pictures.

I never feel limited by DR with my 6d. Most situations with a big DR difference have such a huge DR span in them that the small difference in the cameras DR does not help anyway in my experience. And as said before here, there is always a tripod and the HDR alternative.

BR

Marcus

JOrmsby wrote:

Hi,

thanks in advance,

j

-- hide signature --
 MrScorpio's gear list:MrScorpio's gear list
Canon PowerShot S100 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EOS 6D Canon EF 35mm f/2.0 +20 more
sean lancaster
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,140Gear list
Like?

I had a D600 that arrived with spots on the sensor. I also purchased the Sigma 50/1.4. But, with the crap on the sensor, I decided not to go through the process of dealing with that. I sent it back and gave up on Nikon. But the Sony sensor in the D600 is terrific. I think it's the best FF sensor money can buy. The Sony RX1 has the same sensor and that little camera is incredible at 35mm with the lens optimized for the sensor.

I now have a Canon 6D. Instead of getting the Sigma 50/1.4, I now had the option to get a very nice 50/1.2, which I just love shooting wide open. Even if the D600 was problem free, I am not sure I'd give up my 6D with the 50/1.2 L. I realize this is a Canon forum and people are going to be biased in that direction, but the DxO scores are pretty reflective of what you get with these cameras. I prefer to look at the DxO scores for low light. You'll see the Canon 6D scoring just a bit better than the 5DIII and not far behind the Sony sensor. For me, it's close enough because I prefer the Canon glass. I wouldn't have gone full frame for anything other than low light shooting without a flash and the 6D excels in focusing in very low light. Not that the D600 is bad, it's not, but the 6D is better than any camera within a few thousand dollars at low light focusing.

sean lancaster's gear list:sean lancaster's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-5N Sony Alpha 7 Voigtlander 35mm F1.2 Nokton Sony FE 55mm F1.8 +2 more
LMCasey
Regular MemberPosts: 474Gear list
Like?

I have mostly Canon equipment including 5D and several APS-C bodies. I also own many L lenses and third party lenses.  Last year I bought a D800 because there were no improvements made to DR of the Canon FF bodies. I also bought the Nikkor 14-24 to satisfy my landscape desires. The Nikon DR is much better than the Canon, no doubt about it. Though I still haven't sold my Canon gear, I've got to say I like the Nikon performance and ergonomics, and I've only touched the 5D once since then.

LMCasey's gear list:LMCasey's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Canon EOS 350D Canon EOS 400D Nikon D800 Canon EF 35mm f/1.4L USM +15 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads