sRGB vs. RGB Locked

Started Apr 22, 2013 | Discussions
This thread is locked.
GMartin
Regular MemberPosts: 227
sRGB vs. RGB
Apr 22, 2013

Since digital ceme on the scene ive always used RGB for my color space when shooting.

But all websites and Facebook post their photos based on the sRGB color space. And I assume

that printing labs do also.

If I switch over to sRBG will my colors look better when I post on galleries and Facebook ? I see many images that just look amazing and wonder " How the hell did they get their colors to look like that ? "

I edit everything in PS, shoot largest JPEG and am not into the RAW capture. I know that many photogs swear by RAW but my question always was " well you shoot raw, you edit raw, then change to jpeg once your're done".........once you change your files to jpeg, don't you lose all the advantages of everything you just did.......capture raw, edit raw, final files jpeg.....i dont get it.......what am I missing ?

Biggs23
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,583Gear list
Re: sRGB vs. RGB
In reply to GMartin, Apr 22, 2013

GMartin wrote:

Since digital ceme on the scene ive always used RGB for my color space when shooting.

But all websites and Facebook post their photos based on the sRGB color space. And I assume

If I switch over to sRBG will my colors look better when I post on galleries and Facebook ? I see many images that just look amazing and wonder " How the hell did they get their colors to look like that ? "

Any images that get posted to the web for viewing should be in sRGB color space. My workflow is sRGB from capture all the way to the final product. Images posted online with something other than sRGB will not look right.

I edit everything in PS, shoot largest JPEG and am not into the RAW capture. I know that many photogs swear by RAW but my question always was " well you shoot raw, you edit raw, then change to jpeg once your're done".........once you change your files to jpeg, don't you lose all the advantages of everything you just did.......capture raw, edit raw, final files jpeg.....i dont get it.......what am I missing ?

RAW allows much more latitude during editing from start to finish. Get the WB a bit off when you shot it? No problem. Exposure was a bit under? No problem. Need to control the noise more effectively? No problem. The final product may still end up being a JPEG but the editing will be much easier.

-- hide signature --

Any opinions I express are my own and do not represent DPReview.

Biggs23's gear list:Biggs23's gear list
Nikon D4 Nikon Df Nikon D810 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED +4 more
Maxxuman
Senior MemberPosts: 1,499
In reply to Biggs23, Apr 22, 2013

Biggs23 wrote:

GMartin wrote:

RAW allows much more latitude during editing from start to finish. Get the WB a bit off when you shot it? No problem. Exposure was a bit under? No problem. Need to control the noise more effectively? No problem. The final product may still end up being a JPEG but the editing will be much easier.

Not only easier but better quality.  And it isn't just about correcting possible errors made when shooting (in case the OP is among those who never makes errors) but also gives you access to the camera sensor's full dynamic range, rather than a compressed 8 bit version of it.  You can then boost shadows or recover highlights that you couldn't do successfully with a jpeg.  Once you're happy with the result you can create an sRGB jpeg which will look great online.

If the OP had always shot RAW then he could convert any of his old files to sRGB without any issues (color banding in skies may be among them) that may occur as a result of converting 8 bit jpegs.

-- hide signature --

Barry

GMartin

Biggs23 wrote:

GMartin wrote:

Any images that get posted to the web for viewing should be in sRGB color space. My workflow is sRGB from capture all the way to the final product. Images posted online with something other than sRGB will not look right.

-- hide signature --

Thank you.....so I guess im switching to sRGB for ever......lol........so shooting RAW is like

shooting negative film whereas shooting jpeg is like shooting slidefilm where exposure has to be perfect ?

GMartin

Biggs23 wrote:

GMartin wrote:

-- hide signature --

So shooting sRGB jpeg is fine too then ? How do some photographers get that certain look where their colors are almost unreal and their sharpness looks almost too sharp but its not.....do they edit specifically for their BLOG or Facebook and then edit differently for client files ?

Hulamike
Senior MemberPosts: 2,810

Knock it off Doug.

Kirk Tuck
Senior MemberPosts: 1,929Gear list

They shoot with Sony cameras...

-- hide signature --

Austin based advertising and portrait photographer, and author of the book series, Minimalist Lighting, and the books: Commercial Photographers Handbook, Photographic Lighting Equipment, and, LED Lighting for Digital Photographers. www.kirktuck.com

Kirk Tuck's gear list:Kirk Tuck's gear list
Nikon D2Xs Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH3 Nikon D7100 Samsung Galaxy NX +2 more
GMartin
In reply to Kirk Tuck, Apr 22, 2013

Kirk Tuck wrote:

They shoot with Sony cameras...

-- hide signature --

Austin based advertising and portrait photographer, and author of the book series, Minimalist Lighting, and the books: Commercial Photographers Handbook, Photographic Lighting Equipment, and, LED Lighting for Digital Photographers. www.kirktuck.com

Damn I knew I was missing something....which model ?

Bill MacBeth
Senior MemberPosts: 1,631

Shoot RAW.

From that point convert to 16-bit RGB, using the widest gamut color space that your RAW converter can handle.  Do all processing in 16-bit mode.

Images for posting or showing in an e-mail should be converted to 8-bit RGB, and have the colors converted to the sRGB color space.

Regards, Bill

Kirk Tuck
Senior MemberPosts: 1,929Gear list

R1. The original cool camera.

-- hide signature --

Kirk Tuck's gear list:Kirk Tuck's gear list
Nikon D2Xs Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH3 Nikon D7100 Samsung Galaxy NX +2 more
GMartin
In reply to Bill MacBeth, Apr 22, 2013

Bill MacBeth wrote:

Shoot RAW.

From that point convert to 16-bit RGB, using the widest gamut color space that your RAW converter can handle.  Do all processing in 16-bit mode.

Images for posting or showing in an e-mail should be converted to 8-bit RGB, and have the colors converted to the sRGB color space.

Regards, Bill

Whooo....got tired just reading all of that...problem is my ten year old PC would blow up

if I tried that...

GMartin
In reply to Bill MacBeth, Apr 22, 2013

Bill MacBeth wrote:

Shoot RAW.

Regards, Bill

Im not a RAW type of guy...I dont have the pc speed or power to process RAW friles nor do I care to spends thousands upgrading and purchasing new software to do all of that......my Acme computer and Ajax photo editor work ok for me for what I do....jpegs are fine for me...thanks ...

Victor Engel
Forum ProPosts: 15,308Gear list
In reply to GMartin, Apr 23, 2013

GMartin wrote:

Uhhh... That's not a color space. RGB is a color model (as opposed to, say, CMYK). The RGB color model has many color spaces that use it. Most common is sRGB.

Most print labs prefer that images be submitted in sRGB color space, although some accept Adobe RGB. Still others accept other color spaces.

That likely has nothing to do with the color space, although, the same colors, displayed using a color space that didn't match the color space of your monitor would look much different.

So far I'm not convinced you're NOT using sRGB. What camera model do you use, and how is it set up? If yo have not changed the color space setting, you almost surely are using sRGB.

-- hide signature --

Victor Engel

Victor Engel's gear list:Victor Engel's gear list
Canon EOS 600D Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Canon EF 135mm f/2.0L USM Canon EF 300mm f/4.0L IS USM Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS USM +7 more
MarkInSF
Senior MemberPosts: 1,877

GMartin wrote:

Biggs23 wrote:

GMartin wrote:

-- hide signature --

Thank you.....so I guess im switching to sRGB for ever......lol........so shooting RAW is like

shooting negative film whereas shooting jpeg is like shooting slidefilm where exposure has to be perfect ?

A raw file has more latitude, but if you blow highlights in one or more channels, you still have to work with what you have, so proper exposure (or slight underexposure) is still important.   If you have one blown channel it's easier to fix.

Barrie Davis
Forum ProPosts: 21,460
sRGB vs. AdobeRGB(1998)
In reply to Victor Engel, Apr 23, 2013

Victor Engel wrote:snip

So far I'm not convinced you're NOT using sRGB. What camera model do you use, and how is it set up? If yo have not changed the color space setting, you almost surely are using sRGB.

Yes. Most cameras default to sRGB.

As Victor states, "RGB" is not a colour space, and is therefore not a colour space option. He called it a model. I know it as a colour 'mode'... as in, mode of expressing the colours

If the camera offers any alternative spaces to sRGB, it will be AdobeRGB(1998), which is to say, I have never seen any other colour space options offered in camera...[??]...

.... (well, that is not quite true. Sometimes there is a more 'vivid' version of sRGB, as well as standard sRGB.... and the much wider Adobe colour space.)

-- hide signature --

Regards,
Baz
:
"Ahh... But the thing is, these guys were no ORDINARY time travellers!"

Hulamike
Senior MemberPosts: 2,810

Still have that Bentley Doug?

GMartin
In reply to Victor Engel, Apr 23, 2013

Victor Engel wrote:

GMartin wrote:

Uhhh... That's not a color space. RGB is a color model (as opposed to, say, CMYK). The RGB color model has many color spaces that use it. Most common is sRGB.

Most print labs prefer that images be submitted in sRGB color space, although some accept Adobe RGB. Still others accept other color spaces.

That likely has nothing to do with the color space, although, the same colors, displayed using a color space that didn't match the color space of your monitor would look much different.

-- hide signature --

Victor Engel

I use canon 5d's...and i have manually changed the menu to RGB....been shooting like that for the past 9 years....Fuji, Nikon then Canon...but i switched everything over to sRGB including photoshop settings.......we'll see if there is any difference in online colors......

GMartin
Re: sRGB vs. AdobeRGB(1998)
In reply to Barrie Davis, Apr 23, 2013

Barrie Davis wrote:

Victor Engel wrote:snip

Yes. Most cameras default to sRGB.

As Victor states, "RGB" is not a colour space, and is therefore not a colour space option. He called it a model. I know it as a colour 'mode'... as in, mode of expressing the colours

If the camera offers any alternative spaces to sRGB, it will be AdobeRGB(1998), which is to say, I have never seen any other colour space options offered in camera...[??]...

.... (well, that is not quite true. Sometimes there is a more 'vivid' version of sRGB, as well as standard sRGB.... and the much wider Adobe colour space.)

-- hide signature --

Regards,
Baz
:
"Ahh... But the thing is, these guys were no ORDINARY time travellers!"

Well my Canon 5D has TWO color options in the menu....sRGB and RGB....NOT RGB1998.

steephill
Veteran MemberPosts: 9,164
No it doesn't

The colour space choices on Canon 5D's is sRGB or Adobe RGB. The date version Adobe RGB (1998) is the full title but that is too big for the menu display.

-- hide signature --

Steve
www.pbase.com/steephill

Victor Engel
Forum ProPosts: 15,308Gear list

GMartin wrote:

I use canon 5d's...and i have manually changed the menu to RGB....been shooting like that for the past 9 years....Fuji, Nikon then Canon...but i switched everything over to sRGB including photoshop settings.......we'll see if there is any difference in online colors......

If you shot Jpegs using Adobe RGB, the pictures should look fine if you view them or print them using an application that reads the color profile. If you view them on a device using software that doesn't read the color profile, then they will likely be displayed as if the profile were sRGB. Pictures taken in Adobe RGB and displayed as sRGB will appear dull.

Using Photoshop, you can convert existing images, but you will experience some data loss. It will be worth it, though, to get more accurate color. Make sure you select convert color profile, not assign color profile. The assign color profile option doesn't change the color data but sets a flag stating what the embedded color profile is. That is useful in some situations, but not your situation.

-- hide signature --

Victor Engel

Victor Engel's gear list:Victor Engel's gear list
Canon EOS 600D Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Canon EF 135mm f/2.0L USM Canon EF 300mm f/4.0L IS USM Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS USM +7 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads