wacom tablet recommendations needed

Started Apr 22, 2013 | Discussions
mike in london
Senior MemberPosts: 1,326Gear list
Like?
wacom tablet recommendations needed
Apr 22, 2013

My Wacom CTE 630's pen has become overly sensitive and will now react even when a centimeter or so from the tablet. It's driving me mad as it keeps grabbing things I don't want. iIs ages old and is probably not worth repairing.

Does anyone have any recommendations as there are so many available?

My current one has a mouse and pen but it looks like many don't now, is that the norm? I'd prefer one with rather than have to buy a new mouse too.

Mike

-- hide signature --

www.mikecurryphotography.com

mike in london's gear list:mike in london's gear list
Nikon D700 Nikon D300S Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Epson Stylus Pro 3880 +1 more
Mikeobe
Contributing MemberPosts: 716
Like?
Re: wacom tablet recommendations needed
In reply to mike in london, Apr 22, 2013

I have the small Intuos 5 but really hesitate to recommend or comment on how good or Bad it is! Just an amateur that is still getting used to the idea! I've enjoyed what I'm doing with it so far and as far as mouse, if you are worried things such as double click, Right clicking, etc., that can be programed into the pen!

I considered the medium and the small and am real glad I went with the small, one for the limited space on my desk and two feel it is much easier to use, smaller movement when using Lightroom and Photoshop!

I guess if you were a designer or artist maybe you would be interested in the larger tablets as they allow you to use longer, sweeping strokes!?

Why wacom? Searched the web and they were recognized as the best, beats me since I've never had another kind!

Hope this helps??

Mike

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
digital ed
Senior MemberPosts: 2,645Gear list
Like?
In reply to Mikeobe, Apr 22, 2013

Mikeobe wrote:

I considered the medium and the small and am real glad I went with the small, one for the limited space on my desk and two feel it is much easier to use, smaller movement when using Lightroom and Photoshop!

I guess if you were a designer or artist maybe you would be interested in the larger tablets as they allow you to use longer, sweeping strokes!?

Mike

If you use two monitors when using PS and other editing softwares you would find the large tablet more useful than the smaller ones.

digital ed's gear list:digital ed's gear list
Olympus E-1 Olympus E-3 Nikon D800 Nikon 1 V2 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED +13 more
Mikeobe
Like?
In reply to digital ed, Apr 23, 2013

I do use two monitors! Less movement covers both monitors! Like I said, not an expert, just my preference! I don't like the idea of having to reach  halfway across the desk to reach both monitors!

Again, "Different Strokes for Different Folks!"  Certainly would NOT try to tell people what's best for them!

ranalli
Contributing MemberPosts: 829
Like?
In reply to Mikeobe, Apr 23, 2013

Mikeobe wrote:

I have the small Intuos 5 but really hesitate to recommend or comment on how good or Bad it is! Just an amateur that is still getting used to the idea! I've enjoyed what I'm doing with it so far and as far as mouse, if you are worried things such as double click, Right clicking, etc., that can be programed into the pen!

Why wacom? Searched the web and they were recognized as the best, beats me since I've never had another kind!

Hope this helps??

Mike

Agreed.  I got the small and for photo-editing in PS I just can't see using anything larger because I only map the screen to a small portion of the tablet anyway.

AShimon
Contributing MemberPosts: 797
Like?
In reply to mike in london, Apr 23, 2013

mike in london wrote:

My Wacom CTE 630's pen has become overly sensitive and will now react even when a centimeter or so from the tablet. It's driving me mad as it keeps grabbing things I don't want. iIs ages old and is probably not worth repairing.

My current one has a mouse and pen but it looks like many don't now, is that the norm? I'd prefer one with rather than have to buy a new mouse too.

Mike

-- hide signature --

www.mikecurryphotography.com

I have the Intuos 5 Large. It came with a mouse and pen. Love it to pieces. SO glad I didn't get a smaller version!

I have to fight my wife for it some days, she uses it in Maya, Blender, etc. for her work. She doesn't know this yet, but for Christmas she is getting the Cintiq 24HD... which should free up the Intuos 5 for me.

Wacom is a great company, they stand behind their products and I have never had any performance or compatibility issues.

Mikeobe
Like?
In reply to ranalli, Apr 23, 2013

Yup!

glasswave
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,140
Like?
Re:go cintiq or go home...
In reply to mike in london, Apr 23, 2013

mike in london wrote:

If you are serious about pixel editing, get a Wacom Cintiq. It is like a different world compared to other tablets. The bigger, the better. I know they are pricey, but they are worth every penny.

-- hide signature --

There is simply too much beauty in the world to photograph it all, but I'm trying.

Michael Firstlight
Senior MemberPosts: 2,916Gear list
Like?
Re:go cintiq or go home...
In reply to glasswave, Apr 24, 2013

I was going to go with a Cintiq, but instead went with a 12" Asus EP-121 tablet with precision Wacom enablement.   Only a few high end tablets have that and the EP-121 (It has since been superseded with a newer model - Asus Eee Slate B121-A1 ) is fantastic.  It is a very powerful i5 CPU with 64GB of RAM and a 128GB SSD and runs Win 7 64-bit Pro.  I upgraded mine to Win8 Pro without a hitch and now have the best of all worlds.  I have all my Windows applications on there including Photoshop CS6 and Lightroom -all fast and flawless.  The Gorilla glass screen is amazing, bright, crisp, and profiles perfectly even with my old Spyder 2.

The ONLY downsides is is isn't as good as the Wacom for angular drawing which is of no consequence for photo editing; it has all of the precision and pressure sensitivity.   Also, the battery life is about 4 hours due to the powerful CPU. In the end you get more  - a REAL Windows 64-bit pro tablet.

Regards,
Mike

Michael Firstlight's gear list:Michael Firstlight's gear list
Nikon D800 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 105mm f/2.8G IF-ED VR Sigma 10-20mm F3.5 EX DC HSM +12 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads