Bring the D7100 on trip or not?

Started Apr 22, 2013 | Discussions
Thomas Milner
New MemberPosts: 24
Like?
Bring the D7100 on trip or not?
Apr 22, 2013

The wife and I are going on a England choir trip, where we will visit London, Oxford, Stratford upon Avon, Gloucestershire, Bath, York, etc  and will be singing in several cathedrals.

Preparing for the trip, I purchased a P7700 for my wife (arriving tomorrow), because she's beginning to catch my photo bug.

Bought the D7100 as an upgrade from my D90 less than a month ago.  But am thinking about the trip, and the idea of carrying around the D7100 with my 16-85mm, it feels like a rock. I have a BlackRapid R strap, but don't want to scream out tourista, either.

I'm beginning to wonder if i should just travel with the P7700 and leave the D7100 at home. Hate to leave it in the hotel room and worry about theft while touring around.

Anyone have similar thoughts about cameras while touring, and what did you do?

Nikon Coolpix P7700 Nikon D7100 Nikon D90
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Reilly Diefenbach
Senior MemberPosts: 8,020Gear list
Like?
Re: Bring the D7100 on trip or not?
In reply to Thomas Milner, Apr 22, 2013

Take it!  You'll be glad you did.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
mark murphy
Forum MemberPosts: 62Gear list
Like?

Stick some black electrical insulator tape over the Nikon name at the front and you'll be amazed how 'quite' the camera becomes. Whilst I have the 12-24 and 18-200 DX's - I just bought a 18-55 as a very lightweight stick-on-and-forget lens ($99), works for all but the inside of church's and buildings. The combined weight feels very light. Downside of the 18-55 is polarising is a pain - but, heck, you'll be in England so no need to worry about the sun (yes - I do live here).

As a backup I have the Canon S100 - which is an awesome and tiny beauty.

mark murphy's gear list:mark murphy's gear list
Nikon D7100
six34sigma
Senior MemberPosts: 1,007Gear list
Like?

Take it. Will be worthwhile.

Have taken my D90 to Brazil (Rio), France (Paris, Lemans, Quimperle, South of France), Poland (Warsaw), Phillipines (Manila), Italy (Rome, Pompeii, Amalfi), Japan (Fukoka) to name a few. Use good common sense when travelling. Don't leave it unattended for example, know it sounds ovbious.

Your plan of the D7100 + 16-85 is great, its not too cumbersome. Make sure you get some rain gear for it. It may paint you as a tourist but other things you are doing probably will as well. Enjoy.

-- hide signature --

Regards,
Sanjay

six34sigma's gear list:six34sigma's gear list
Nikon D90 Nikon D7100 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 16-85mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D Tokina AT-X Pro 11-16mm f/2.8 DX +3 more
pixd90
Senior MemberPosts: 1,135Gear list
Like?

Thomas Milner wrote:

Bought the D7100 as an upgrade from my D90 less than a month ago.  But am thinking about the trip, and the idea of carrying around the D7100 with my 16-85mm, it feels like a rock. I have a BlackRapid R strap, but don't want to scream out tourista, either.

Reminds me of the movie "my cousin vinnie": you stick out like a sore thumb followed by: and your a world traveler". Your a photographer Take the camera.

pixd90's gear list:pixd90's gear list
Sigma 17-50mm F2.8 EX DC OS HSM Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-105mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G Sigma 8-16mm F4.5-5.6 DC HSM
Jason Crawford
Junior MemberPosts: 33
Like?
In reply to pixd90, Apr 22, 2013

Bring it for certain.

I usually travel with a D5000 and the 16-85, but decided to take my Canon P&S to Maui last month. I really regretted not having my good gear and will not make the same mistake twice.

mlewan
Senior MemberPosts: 1,137Gear list
Like?

Thomas Milner wrote:

I'm beginning to wonder if i should just travel with the P7700 and leave the D7100 at home. Hate to leave it in the hotel room and worry about theft while touring around.

Either way works. Just be sure you're mentally prepared on what you are doing. The P7700 can take some amazing pictures if you have time to learn how to handle it properly. The D7100 can take even more amazing pictures, but it won't fit in your pocket.

They are two different kinds of trips - a pocket trip or a photography trip.

I rarely travel without a DSLR, but I choose between different lenses. Sometimes it is a 35mm trip. Sometimes a 70-200 f/2.8 trip. Sometimes a 14-24mm trip, and so on. I always have to leave some lenses at home, and I always miss some shots because of it. That's just part of life.

Do most of the shots you actually get, and forget about what could have been.

jkjond
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,585
Like?

Thomas Milner wrote:

The wife and I are going on a England choir trip, where we will visit London, Oxford, Stratford upon Avon, Gloucestershire, Bath, York, etc  and will be singing in several cathedrals.

Beautiful places, and if I didn't fancy taking a camera to any of those, then I don't know where I would take one. A few ideas, totally obvious really:

• Keep on the tourist trails rather than taking short cuts down side streets, especially if alone or in darkness hours. 
  • Keep a hand on your camera all the time, but especially vigilant in crowded areas and especially in queues or on public transport. I've not heard of any cases in the UK, but some stories on here form tourist spots in russia where thieves will release an expensive lens and take that whilst their mate asks you for directions or whatever. These guys are switched on and know which lenses are worth nicking. 
  • The typical thief is a pack animal. They work in skilled teams, most of them are a diversion to attract your attention, the slightly built pretty wee girl is the one with her hand in your pocket. 
  • If you get into a situation (extremely unlikely) make plenty of noise to draw the attention of all the nice people around. While the pack may pick on an individual, they don't like the idea of support. But don't go threatening anyone unless you've had acute constipation for some time and are seeking a cure. 
  • Take a bag that will hold your camera - something unassuming. I use a tatty old trekking rucksack that any thief would think is full of anthrax. Its not pretty, but that's the idea! Could be a problem for you when representing your choir, but an obviously used trekking rucksack doesn't attract much attention and is securely attached to you. But never leave it unattended. 

I've recently switched to a camera harness which has been a revelation. Brilliant for spreading weight to my shoulders.

Enjoy your trip, you'll love the low light performance in the cathedrals - you will regret not taking the slr if you leave it at home. I won't mention the irony of leaving it there and someone breaking in and taking it.

-- hide signature --

UK wedding photographer in the Lake District
http://www.johnleech-weddingphotography.co.uk
For my landscapes and fine art photography:
http://www.johnleechstudio.co.uk

RJNedimyer
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,676
Like?

Thomas Milner wrote:

That last part almost demands a high quality camera! PS congrats on having a great voice and the opportunity to go sing.

Preparing for the trip, I purchased a P7700 for my wife (arriving tomorrow), because she's beginning to catch my photo bug.

Good idea [my wife complains I slow their progress for photos and then can't understand how or where I "saw that"].

I would give up almost any convenience except possibly a extra set of underwear [then again you can probably buy them there] to take it if space or weight are the problem. It is not only OK to be a tourist it is great for their economy. BUT that does not mean you need to stand out as much as possible from the natives, plan ahead even about what you wear when not preforming !!!

Theft is another problem; I guess having it hanging from your neck while singing is a no-no. I'll leave that one to you, but how about a non-singer being a designated equipment guard?

-- hide signature --

Ray
RJNedimyer

mosswings
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,755Gear list
Like?

Thomas Milner wrote:

I have constantly asked myself this question in my many journeys but it always comes down to the same conclusion: I enjoy taking pictures with my DSLR far more because it is so much more responsive.  That the images it produces are technically far better than a point and shoot's is icing on the cake.  I do have a relatively high quality compact for those times that a DSLR would simply be impractical - such as on group bike tours and performance X-C skiing - and value its simplicity and convenience.  But I always wind up wishing that I had a J2 or V2 without those dang big lenses that don't fit into my jersey pocket!  Even small and light is not always small and light.

Over the years I've developed both a sense of perspective about looking like a tourist - sorry, you will, no matter if you have an SLR around your neck - and a mode of carry that minimizes the "tactical photographer" look.  I carry a small kit - like your camera and lens plus one more WA - in a small shoulder/waist belt bag that looks more daybaggish than camerabaggish.  The camera stays in the bag until I want to photograph something, then comes out - quickly, because the bag is designed well for that - and then, back in. I also use a good strap.  Not a BR, because I find that too "tactical", but something that's not around-the-necky touristy (the Luma-Labs Cinch).

So weigh the reasons that you are taking a camera in the first place.  If a P7700 fills the bill for you, the D7100 is dead weight.  If the process of taking the photograph is part of the pleasure, bring the D7100 and work on your fear of standing out.  If you still want a modicum of stealth, well, Oly, Panasonic, and even Nikon have a camera for you.

mosswings's gear list:mosswings's gear list
Olympus XZ-1 Nikon D90 Nikon D7100 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-105mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR +1 more
Whalligeo
Regular MemberPosts: 245
Like?

Thomas Milner wrote:

Thomas, Take it. You'll be sorry if you don't. You are visiting some very target rich locations. I got my first pay check ever, from photographs of Gloucester Cathedral I did over 35 years ago. The negatives were subsequently stolen, but that's life. Don't miss out. Off topic, you'll be blown away by the acoustics in these places. I want to a concert at Bath, truly amazing, and it cant be reproduced on cd either.

Enjoy.

-- hide signature --

They said it couldn't be done, so I encouraged my peers not to bother.
HooRoo!

Sarahbee
Regular MemberPosts: 309
Like?

Thomas Milner wrote:

I bought an Olympus OM-D!  Fabulous quality photos, small & lightweight, great for traveling.

In your case, take the D7100.  You will not be sorry.  (I have a D7100 too; it's a great camera!)

-- hide signature --

Sarah
Cabin John, MD
www.sarahanderson.net

Richy6771
Contributing MemberPosts: 602Gear list
Like?

Bring it. What's the point of having a great camera if you don't take advantage of the times you can put it to good use.

Richy6771's gear list:Richy6771's gear list
Nikon D300 Nikon D7000 Nikon D600 +1 more
Texas Heat
Regular MemberPosts: 424Gear list
Like?
In reply to Richy6771, Apr 22, 2013

Richy6771 wrote:

Bring it. What's the point of having a great camera if you don't take advantage of the times you can put it to good use.

+1.  I end up kicking myself every time I leave my D7000 at home.  Never again. Got myself a nice backpack and now my P&S belongs to my son.

-- hide signature --

Cindy

Texas Heat's gear list:Texas Heat's gear list
Nikon D7000 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-105mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 85mm f/1.8G Tamron SP 90mm F2.8 Di VC USD 1:1 Macro
kithg
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,181Gear list
Like?

Take it - you'll be glad you did, and sorry if you don't. If the 16-85 is too heavy, invest in a kit lens, which is much lighter, and pretty cheap, around a hundred dollars or so. Used, even less. And the pictures you get will be so much better. And don't leave it in the hotel room - take it with you! It can't take those photo memories from the hotel room, right? I carry a shoulder bag it slips into, and disappears. Traveling guys often carry a messenger bag or backpack. It can go there, no problem. It really isn't that big. Try a smaller lens and you'll see what I mean. And I trucked all over Spain, London, and Paris with my D90 and 18-200VR, still my travel lens of choice. You get used to it, and come home with pics worth having. Really.

-- hide signature --
 kithg's gear list:kithg's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS7 Nikon D7000 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6G IF-ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR +4 more
DEEWUN
Contributing MemberPosts: 503
Like?
In reply to kithg, Apr 23, 2013

Take it!! You will be travelling in a very photogenic part of England. Bath itself is well worth taking the camera and the Abbey is a photographer's dream. English cathedrals are works of art and lend themselves to beautiful, soulful photography.

Petroglyph
Senior MemberPosts: 2,560Gear list
Like?
In reply to Thomas Milner, Apr 23, 2013

Thomas Milner wrote:

Bought the D7100 as an upgrade from my D90 less than a month ago.  But am thinking about the trip, and the idea of carrying around the D7100 with my 16-85mm, it feels like a rock.

That is the combo I would take.  In M4/3rds mode you have a 170mm lens in a pinch.  I would program that option onto one of the front buttons of your choice.  I run this switch with the button and a wheel to avoid an accidental switch.  Last time I was in London on business I regrettably had no cam of my own with me.  The best camera is the one you have with you when the shot comes up.

I have a BlackRapid R strap, but don't want to scream out tourista, either.

Petroglyph's gear list:Petroglyph's gear list
Pentax K-3 Canon EOS 6D Pentax smc DA* 60-250mm F4.0 ED (IF) SDM Canon EF 17-40mm f/4.0L USM Sigma 35mm F1.4 DG HSM
Dohmnuill
Contributing MemberPosts: 657
Like?

Most certainly take it. And the 16-85mm.

There are many good suggestions above; black insulation tape over the name is surprisingly effective in reducing the profile (I've used that tip with my Nex-7 too, and had it mistaken for an "old fashioned camera").

To reduce the worry, have the kit well insured. And don't have all your eggs in one huge SDHC basket (keep your used cards in your passport pouch).

When you're singing, tie the strap to the pew/chair/whatever nearby.

(Lots of 17th/18thC repertoire I hope?))

mosswings
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,755Gear list
Like?
I think we're unanimous.
In reply to jkjond, Apr 23, 2013

And brandish your camera in good health.

mosswings's gear list:mosswings's gear list
Olympus XZ-1 Nikon D90 Nikon D7100 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-105mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR +1 more
SuvoMitra
Contributing MemberPosts: 796
Like?
D7100+bright lens

I am local - live a bit further north but work in and visit your target areas all the time. Bring your D7100 - it will disappear in a sea of cameras in Bath, Stratford, etc. If you like architectural detail and interiors, then try to bring a fast lens. A 35mm would be light and compact, but an f/2.8 17/18-50 zoom from Tamron or Sigma could give more options. If you want to see what the English cathedrals can offer photographers, look up the work of Bruce Barnbaum (There are some example in his Art of Photography book).

The D7100 body only weighs approx 750 gm. This is only maybe 300gm more than the OM-D. It is light and compact for the punch it packs. don't walk around with several huge/heavy lenses and pick a bag that can hang from the opposite shoulder.

Enjoy. There are beautiful places around that region. You want your best camera for a trip to these parts.

-- hide signature --
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads