hs50EXR Can bounce!

Started Apr 22, 2013 | Discussions
TAGRIFFIN
Contributing MemberPosts: 617Gear list
Like?
hs50EXR Can bounce!
Apr 22, 2013

My hs50 fell out of the tripod mount last night whilst carrying it back into the house....and from a height of, oh, 3 feet, the camera landed on a hardwood floor and bounced about 5 inches high! Lens cap came off and the memory card door opened and that was it!
Doesn't appear to be any damage and, thus far, everything seems to be functioning fine.

Kinda thought the camera would stay in the mount but a lesson learned and, of course, you get what you pay for!

Tim

jcmarfilph
Senior MemberPosts: 7,592Gear list
Like?
Re: hs50EXR Can bounce!
In reply to TAGRIFFIN, Apr 22, 2013

Good thing the lens did not separate from the body. I remember one fella who dropped his HS10 and then it's a useless cam afterwards. Dunno if you can use the separated lens and convert it into TC

-=[ Joms ]=-

 jcmarfilph's gear list:jcmarfilph's gear list
Fujifilm X20 Fujifilm FinePix HS50 EXR +1 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
TAGRIFFIN
Contributing MemberPosts: 617Gear list
Like?
Re: hs50EXR Can bounce!
In reply to jcmarfilph, Apr 22, 2013

jcmarfilph wrote:

Good thing the lens did not separate from the body. I remember one fella who dropped his HS10 and then it's a useless cam afterwards. Dunno if you can use the separated lens and convert it into TC

-=[ Joms ]=-

Doesn't seem to have done any damage whatsoever!

Tim

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
MitchyK7
Regular MemberPosts: 131
Like?
Re: hs50EXR Can bounce!
In reply to TAGRIFFIN, Apr 23, 2013

I dropped mine about the same height, but luckily onto thick carpet. Good to know these cams are more resilient than earlier HS models.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Peter71951
Contributing MemberPosts: 535
Like?
Re: hs50EXR Can bounce!
In reply to TAGRIFFIN, Apr 23, 2013

TAGRIFFIN wrote:

My hs50 fell out of the tripod mount last night whilst carrying it back into the house....and from a height of, oh, 3 feet, the camera landed on a hardwood floor and bounced about 5 inches high! Lens cap came off and the memory card door opened and that was it!
Doesn't appear to be any damage and, thus far, everything seems to be functioning fine.

Kinda thought the camera would stay in the mount but a lesson learned and, of course, you get what you pay for!

Tim

OK mr. Paul Till, now it's your turn to do this from a height of about 4 feet, because the X-S1 is more expensive. To proove that the X-S1 is more solid build than the HS50. We don't pay attention to the lens droop before or after.

Peter

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
wymjym
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,311
Like?
Re: hs50EXR Can bounce!
In reply to Peter71951, Apr 23, 2013

Peter71951 wrote:

TAGRIFFIN wrote:

My hs50 fell out of the tripod mount last night whilst carrying it back into the house....and from a height of, oh, 3 feet, the camera landed on a hardwood floor and bounced about 5 inches high! Lens cap came off and the memory card door opened and that was it!
Doesn't appear to be any damage and, thus far, everything seems to be functioning fine.

Kinda thought the camera would stay in the mount but a lesson learned and, of course, you get what you pay for!

Tim

OK mr. Paul Till, now it's your turn to do this from a height of about 4 feet, because the X-S1 is more expensive. To proove that the X-S1 is more solid build than the HS50. We don't pay attention to the lens droop before or after.

Peter

I tote my XS1 with me all of the time in a soft bag attached to the rear rack of my ebike.

Last month I failed to zip up the flap and while zipping into my property I heard a clunk. The XS1 had popped out of the bag and threw itself onto the (hard packed clay) driveway. Height = 48"

I have always had a step-up ring and 72mm 'Nikon' pinch cap on this camera (love the pinch cap and have a lot of 72 filters). The cap was scratched and there was some dirt inside of the tripod mount....that was all I could see. The camera works as it did pre 'bouncing down the drive', no better....no worse. I am certain that if the lens had been extended and it had hit on that protrusion this story would have a different ending.

wj

-- hide signature --

nikonfujicanonandricoh

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Peter71951
Contributing MemberPosts: 535
Like?
Re: hs50EXR Can bounce!
In reply to wymjym, Apr 23, 2013

wymjym wrote:

Peter71951 wrote:

TAGRIFFIN wrote:

My hs50 fell out of the tripod mount last night whilst carrying it back into the house....and from a height of, oh, 3 feet, the camera landed on a hardwood floor and bounced about 5 inches high! Lens cap came off and the memory card door opened and that was it!
Doesn't appear to be any damage and, thus far, everything seems to be functioning fine.

Kinda thought the camera would stay in the mount but a lesson learned and, of course, you get what you pay for!

Tim

OK mr. Paul Till, now it's your turn to do this from a height of about 4 feet, because the X-S1 is more expensive. To proove that the X-S1 is more solid build than the HS50. We won't pay attention to the lens droop before or after.

Peter

I tote my XS1 with me all of the time in a soft bag attached to the rear rack of my ebike.

Last month I failed to zip up the flap and while zipping into my property I heard a clunk. The XS1 had popped out of the bag and threw itself onto the (hard packed clay) driveway. Height = 48"

I have always had a step-up ring and 72mm 'Nikon' pinch cap on this camera (love the pinch cap and have a lot of 72 filters). The cap was scratched and there was some dirt inside of the tripod mount....that was all I could see. The camera works as it did pre 'bouncing down the drive', no better....no worse. I am certain that if the lens had been extended and it had hit on that protrusion this story would have a different ending.

wj

-- hide signature --

nikonfujicanonandricoh

This encouraging answer from you will certainly persuade Paul to cooperate with this experiment

Peter

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
wymjym
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,311
Like?
Re: hs50EXR Can bounce!
In reply to Peter71951, Apr 23, 2013

what? raise it to 5' with the lens extended.......

sort of hoping it would be sharper after the 'natural' shock alighnment attempt.

wj

-- hide signature --

nikonfujicanonandricoh

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Peter71951
Contributing MemberPosts: 535
Like?
Re: hs50EXR Can bounce!
In reply to wymjym, Apr 23, 2013

wymjym wrote:

what? raise it to 5' with the lens extended.......

sort of hoping it would be sharper after the 'natural' shock alighnment attempt.

wj

-- hide signature --

nikonfujicanonandricoh

Well, you know he is THE man who stated over and over again that the HS50 is an inferior toycam and the X-S1 is far superior. Let's wait for his video.

Peter

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
jcmarfilph
Senior MemberPosts: 7,592Gear list
Like?
Re: hs50EXR Can bounce!
In reply to Peter71951, Apr 23, 2013

Peter71951 wrote:

wymjym wrote:

what? raise it to 5' with the lens extended.......

sort of hoping it would be sharper after the 'natural' shock alighnment attempt.

wj

-- hide signature --

nikonfujicanonandricoh

Well, you know he is THE man who stated over and over again that the HS50 is an inferior toycam and the X-S1 is far superior. Let's wait for his video.

Peter

+1 lol. X-S1 was built like a tank. Let's see!

-=[ Joms ]=-

 jcmarfilph's gear list:jcmarfilph's gear list
Fujifilm X20 Fujifilm FinePix HS50 EXR +1 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
tazmac
Regular MemberPosts: 360Gear list
Like?
Re: hs50EXR Can bounce!
In reply to Peter71951, Apr 23, 2013

Paul is not digging this thread now!

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads