Photomatix

Started Apr 22, 2013 | Discussions
Penny123
Regular MemberPosts: 288
Like?
Photomatix
Apr 22, 2013

I have recently bought a Nikon D90 and one aspect I am loving over my D40 is its ability to take 3 shots in a row at different exposures.  I read about a few software options for HDR and downloaded the free trial of Photomatix, I am thinking of sticking with this software as it is quite easy to use as a novice to this and I like the results.  The only issue is I downloaded the trial from here: photomatix-pro.en.softonic.com/  but it installed those annoying tool bars and search options without permission which I now can't get rid of.  For anyone who has bought the full version is there a better place to download a clean version from?

Thanks

Nikon D40 Nikon D90
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Ho72
Senior MemberPosts: 1,537
Like?
Re: Photomatix
In reply to Penny123, Apr 22, 2013

Penny123 wrote:

I have recently bought a Nikon D90 and one aspect I am loving over my D40 is its ability to take 3 shots in a row at different exposures.  I read about a few software options for HDR and downloaded the free trial of Photomatix, I am thinking of sticking with this software as it is quite easy to use as a novice to this and I like the results.  The only issue is I downloaded the trial from here: photomatix-pro.en.softonic.com/  but it installed those annoying tool bars and search options without permission which I now can't get rid of.  For anyone who has bought the full version is there a better place to download a clean version from?

Thanks

Download from the author's site: http://www.hdrsoft.com/

Use adwcleaner to get rid of your toolbars:

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/adwcleaner/

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
MikeFromMesa
Senior MemberPosts: 2,849
Like?
In reply to Ho72, Apr 22, 2013

Ho72 wrote:

Use adwcleaner to get rid of your toolbars:

Or just use Windows Programs and Features page to uninstall it. That is what I do when I accidentally get something installed that I don't want.

You don't need to install another program. Just go to the Windows Control Panel, make sure it is set for View By Category, select Uninstall a Program and the find the program name (it should be the last one on the list when sorted by date) and uninstall it.

Normally you get an install option as to whether or not to include the tool bar junk. I just uncheck it but sometimes I miss it as well.

Photomatix is a very good HDR tool but you might also want to look at SNS-HDR. It is what I use and I picked it after comparing it against Photomatix and several other tools. Photomatix is very good but so is SNS-HDR and I found it did a better job of aligning my hand-held HDR shots.

Just an idea.

Penny123
Like?
In reply to MikeFromMesa, Apr 22, 2013

I tried to manually uninstall it and even though it no longer appears on the list it is still on my browser.  Will uninstall and isntall for the other link provided and see if that makes a difference thanks,

Tom-C
Senior MemberPosts: 1,042Gear list
Like?

You need to go into your browser's setup and uninstall any extensions there. Also you will probably have to change your default search engine in the browser.

I'm always really careful about looking for those kinds of unwanted add-ons when downloading software but recently one got me anyway. Sometimes they don't say they are going to clutter up your computer, they just do it.

Tom

Tom-C's gear list:Tom-C's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark III
malch
Forum ProPosts: 10,508
Like?

I don't understand why Photomatix is so popular. Personally, I think there are far better alternatives.

I do like:

http://www.sns-hdr.com/

There is also a free (command-line) program which does an outstanding job of blending multiple exposures. Take the output into Photoshop or whatever for finishing. Get Enfuse here:

http://enblend.sourceforge.net/

kelpdiver
Senior MemberPosts: 1,898
Like?
In reply to malch, Apr 22, 2013

malch wrote:

I don't understand why Photomatix is so popular. Personally, I think there are far better alternatives.

It was the first non crappy one solution there, and is one of the most mature now.

It has a freely functional demo (minus the saving) and is easy to install to examine.  This is true of many others as well.

Penny123
Like?
In reply to kelpdiver, Apr 22, 2013

Thanks for the other suggestions, I will certainly give them a try before commiting to one.  photomatix isn't quite fully functional as it leaves water marks.  I am completely new to HDR so just playing around and photomatix was the one I came across on a HDR web page.

Tareq Abdulla
Regular MemberPosts: 259Gear list
Like?

OK, i am using Photomatix since 2006, going through different versions, here are my works example done with Photomatix to give you an idea about it:

http://500px.com/photo/11743909

http://500px.com/photo/11743713

http://www.flickr.com/photos/40611558@N00/sets/72157606928487352/

Tareq Abdulla's gear list:Tareq Abdulla's gear list
Canon EOS-1D Mark II N Canon EOS-1D Mark III Canon EOS-1Ds Mark II Canon EOS-1Ds Mark III Canon EOS 5D +18 more
Tareq Abdulla
Regular MemberPosts: 259Gear list
Like?
In reply to Tareq Abdulla, Apr 22, 2013

And this is my best B&W as HDR i have so far

http://500px.com/photo/2593166

All done with Photomatix, i bought it and i never look back, not so expensive and i tried the trial before and liked it so i bought it.

Tareq Abdulla's gear list:Tareq Abdulla's gear list
Canon EOS-1D Mark II N Canon EOS-1D Mark III Canon EOS-1Ds Mark II Canon EOS-1Ds Mark III Canon EOS 5D +18 more
proseak
Regular MemberPosts: 378
Like?
In reply to Penny123, Apr 23, 2013

It looks like softonic.com have joined the "hall of shame", ie sites who bundle garbage in with their software - another one to avoid

In case you're interested here's another HDR tool, with a really great price

http://www.hdrlabs.com/picturenaut/

It's been a while since I used it, as I got into the habit of using Photoshop, but it was fast and versatile..

HTH

malch
Like?
In reply to Tareq Abdulla, Apr 23, 2013

All of the posted samples have what I call the "Photomatix look". I think it's related to their specific application of local contrast. To be honest, it just doesn't rock my boat.

Here's my most ambitious HDR (and pano). This done with Autopano and SNS-HDR. It's a zoomable image requiring flash and a fair bit of bandwidth since it's almost 50MP in total.

http://www.malch.com/nikon/Pano.html

MikeFromMesa
Senior MemberPosts: 2,849
Like?
In reply to malch, Apr 23, 2013

malch wrote:

All of the posted samples have what I call the "Photomatix look". I think it's related to their specific application of local contrast. To be honest, it just doesn't rock my boat.

Here's my most ambitious HDR (and pano). This done with Autopano and SNS-HDR. It's a zoomable image requiring flash and a fair bit of bandwidth since it's almost 50MP in total.

That is a beautiful shot.

The left and right sides of the waterline seem to recede slightly and I was wondering if this was because the shoreline does actually recede or because of the prospective from the panorama. Or perhaps it is my imagination.

I use Panorama Studio 2 for my pano shots and it offers the ability to "bend" the center of the image to correct this. But it may be the actual shoreline in this photo. Or, as I said, it might be my imagination. In any case I have never attempted any panorama with more than about 6 images and I am stunned at a 77 image panorama.

As I said, it is a beautiful image. Thank you for posting. And I will take a look at Autopano.

kelpdiver
Senior MemberPosts: 1,898
Like?
In reply to malch, Apr 23, 2013

malch wrote:

It's not the Photomatrix look, it's the [classic] HDR look.  And yeah, usually not a good thing by my tastes either.  BTW, TopazLabs's adjust plugin will do a lot of the same with a single image supplied.

But...all of these tools can be used more judiciously without the 'easy' button.

cr4guy
Regular MemberPosts: 114
Like?
In reply to Penny123, Apr 23, 2013

Penny123 wrote:

Thanks for the other suggestions, I will certainly give them a try before commiting to one.  photomatix isn't quite fully functional as it leaves water marks.  I am completely new to HDR so just playing around and photomatix was the one I came across on a HDR web page.

You may want to take a look at this 'Top Ten' comparison:

http://captainkimo.com/hdr-software-review-comparison/

Michael Firstlight
Senior MemberPosts: 2,929Gear list
Like?
Re: Photomatix vs HDREfx Pro
In reply to Penny123, Apr 24, 2013

I have both Photomatix and HDREfx pro.  Photomatix has that surreal 'look' and I find its user interface overly complex.  I much prefer making HDR images where people can't even tell its an HDR image.  HDREfx Pro is very easy to use, great presets, extensive adjustments and excellent user interface.  So I do use both but will only use Photomatix when I want intentionally want that cartoon-ish and obvious HDR look.

Regards,
Mike

Michael Firstlight's gear list:Michael Firstlight's gear list
Nikon D800 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 105mm f/2.8G IF-ED VR Sigma 10-20mm F3.5 EX DC HSM +12 more
Jim Cockfield
Forum ProPosts: 14,576
Like?
You gave it permission
In reply to Penny123, Apr 24, 2013

Penny123 wrote:

The only issue is I downloaded the trial from here: photomatix-pro.en.softonic.com/  but it installed those annoying tool bars and search options without permission which I now can't get rid of.

softonic is actually very clear that it's going to install those kinds of extras.  IN the case of that download, they install AVG Safeguard, which is basically a Yahoo toolbar with some AVG scan features integrated).

Unlike some downloads that try to sneak that kind of thing in, softonic actually gives you separate screens telling you about the add-ons it's installing.   All you need to do is check the Custom (versus Express) boxes on those screens, and uncheck the boxes for the extras on those screens.

I just saw someone else that had a similar issue not long ago (and the other installer was using a different set of toolbars and adware).

That installer from softsonic was also very clear about the extras it was going to install, just as the one you used for Photomatix is.

This is what you see when you start it:

But, you don't have to dig through the "fine print" in the EULA to figure out that they're installing toolbars and making search/home page changes, as they make that *very* obvious on the following screens.

Once you click Accept, you'll see this screen, where it tells* you it's going to install a toolbar and give you a new search provider if you use the default Express install.  Basically, AVG uses a Yahoo toolbar with some scanning features integrated and they call it AVG Safe Guard

You can even click the box beside it and it will give you a popup with more info.

So, when you see that kind of thing being installed, *pay attention* and opt out. 

In this case, just click on the Custom check box, and uncheck the box for AVG Safeguard before clicking Next.  IOW, make sure you have the options like this first:

Again, all you need to do is click on the Custom box, and make sure the box to make that change is  unchecked.  IOW, you'd want this:

Then, when you click next, it starts the installer for Photomatix, and you don't end up with the other junk installed.

Like it or not, lots of download sites are using custom installers like that anymore.  For example, CNET's download.com has a reputation for doing that kind of thing.

Heck, even Adobe is trying to install extra junk when you download flash player or acrobat reader anymore (installing McAfee Secure Scan by default).  But, you can uncheck a box so it won't install it.  That's very common (extras being installed to help software vendors make money) anymore.

But, the the case of softonic, they make it very obvious that they're doing that kind of thing, and make it easy for you to opt out (by checking the Custom versus Express box and unchecking the boxes for any extras being installed).

IOW, be careful when downloading software, and PAY ATTENTION versus just clicking Next, Next Next without reading the screens telling you it's going to install that kind of stuff; as you GAVE IT PERMISSION (and their installer makes it pretty obvious it's including those extras by default, letting you opt out if desired).

As for getting rid of the junk you let it install, go to Control Panel and see if they're under Windows Add/Remove Programs for starters.

If not, you may want to try AdwCleaner for starters:

-- hide signature --

JimC
------

Jim Cockfield
Forum ProPosts: 14,576
Like?
Re: You gave it permission
In reply to Jim Cockfield, Apr 24, 2013

One of those screens didn't display properly.  But, you get the idea.

The Softonic Photomatix installer you used has two separate screens for the extra junk they installed, with one screen telling you about the AVG toolbar (which is a basically yahoo toolbar with AVG scanning features built in), and another screen telling you about the home page/search provider change they make.

In both cases, you can opt out of that junk (just by clicking the Custom Box and unchecking the boxes for the extras).

It's not like they tried to hide that kind of thing in the EULA fine print, as they even give you separate screens telling you they're installing that stuff so you can opt out by using custom versus express if desired, that you would see and need to click the Next button from to go forward in the install process.

That's better than the installers some software companies and download sites are using.  At least softonic tells you it's installing that kind of thing by default, making it very obvious with separate screens for the extras you need to click Next on. 

I don't like it.  But, again, get used to it, as lots of download sites are going that route anymore (as they have hosting and bandwidth costs and are trying to offset that cost and make their sites profitable).

As mentioned, even Adobe is trying to include extras anymore (McAfee security scan products with downloads of Flash Player and Acrobat Reader now unless you opt out by unchecking the box for it).

CNET's download.com is also doing that kind of thing on a regular basis (including toolbars, etc.)

So, PAY ATTENTION and opt out of those kinds of extras when you see them (which is usually just a matter of checking or unchecking boxes for the extras).

As for getting rid of that stuff, see if the software softonic installed shows up in Add/Remove Programs (in Windows Control Panel); as you may be able to uninstall it that way.

If not, try this software for starters:

-- hide signature --

JimC
------

John W  Hall
Regular MemberPosts: 494
Like?
In reply to malch, Apr 24, 2013

malch wrote:

I think it's not specific to Photomatix, though they make it too easy to do.

I call it the "HDR (Overdone)" look.

Imho, if you can see an effect (almost any effect) has been used, then it's been over-used.

malch
Like?
In reply to MikeFromMesa, Apr 24, 2013

MikeFromMesa wrote:

The left and right sides of the waterline seem to recede slightly and I was wondering if this was because the shoreline does actually recede or because of the prospective from the panorama. Or perhaps it is my imagination.

Interesting observation and I see what you mean.

I'm really not sure why. The waterline is pretty straight and the verticals are pretty vertical. The river does bend but I think the edges are bent toward the camera.

Maybe it's an illusion based on the fact that the buildings are smaller toward the edges.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads