qianp2k
Forum ProPosts: 10,335Gear list
Like?
Re: That "L" lens "look" - Canon v Sigma 35mm1.4
In reply to Schwany, Apr 23, 2013

Schwany wrote:

schmegg wrote:

kipling wrote:

So what do you think? Does any undefinable quality of the Canon lens overcome the technical superiority of the Sigma lens?

I have used both and settled with the Sigma. I liked it just a bit more - and value wise, in my personal opinion, it is a clear winner.

But, as you say, it is very subjective, and there certainly is room for disagreement (as there should be in any rational discussion about which of two fine lenses is better!)

Depends on whom one is disagreeing with. I wouldn't want to disagree with a moderator. Bad things could happen. he he

LOL.  I learn not to dispute with mods endlessly.  I said what I want to say once and I am sure what I said usually doesn't end as the last say in the chain

I neither agree nor disagree, or care really, but I wouldn't buy a Sigma lens under any circumstances. That is my narrow minded biased personal choice, which should be allowed with or without the proper charts and blog links.

Well respected as everyone has his/her priority. Personally I'd pickup Sigma 35/1.4 based on all reviews.  Nevertheless I picked two best Canon F2.8 zoom that maybe only 10% better than third party's ones despite 80% more expensive. To me it’s case by case consideration on third party lenses.

-- hide signature --
 qianp2k's gear list:qianp2k's gear list
Sony RX100 Canon EOS-1D Mark III Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 5D Mark III Sony Alpha 7R +20 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
garmon
Senior MemberPosts: 1,069
Like?
In reply to kipling, Apr 23, 2013

Since being here in Canada and having to choose between Sigma or Canon and all things being equal, I would choose the Sigma as they offer warranty to their Pro lenses for 10 years.  Nowhere in Canonland any of their lenses have a warranty that long.

-- hide signature --

Canon 7D / 50D (40D premature death. Long Live Canon)
CANON
70-200/2.8 - 135/2.0 - 100/2.0 - 85/1.8 - 35/2.0
SIGMA
EX 50-500 - EX 120-300/2.8 - 18-200OS - EX 18-50/2.8 II - EX 50/1.4
EX 10-20
TOKINA 12-24/4 (for sale1) - TAMRON 28-75/2.8, 17-50/2.8 - Samyang 8/3.5
KENKO Pro300 2XTC - 1.4XTC

Schwany
Veteran MemberPosts: 9,485Gear list
Like?
Yes, one must be careful
In reply to qianp2k, Apr 24, 2013

qianp2k wrote:

Schwany wrote:

Depends on whom one is disagreeing with. I wouldn't want to disagree with a moderator. Bad things could happen. he he

LOL.  I learn not to dispute with mods endlessly.  I said what I want to say once and I am sure what I said usually doesn't end as the last say in the chain

Yes indeed, butt kissing is the best policy. Just walk away...

I neither agree nor disagree, or care really, but I wouldn't buy a Sigma lens under any circumstances. That is my narrow minded biased personal choice, which should be allowed with or without the proper charts and blog links.

Well respected as everyone has his/her priority. Personally I'd pickup Sigma 35/1.4 based on all reviews.  Nevertheless I picked two best Canon F2.8 zoom that maybe only 10% better than third party's ones despite 80% more expensive. To me it’s case by case consideration on third party lenses.

Bad experiences saving money with Sigma lenses left a permanent mark. It was along time ago, and if I were a nice person, I'd give them a second chance.

Anyway, somebody mentioned Sigma now has a better warranty. If they had had that back when I was using Sigma lenses, I might be singing a different tune now. Less heavy metal, and maybe lighter jazz.

Schwany's gear list:Schwany's gear list
Canon EOS-1Ds Mark II Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS-1D Mark IV Canon EOS-1D X Canon EF 24mm f/1.4L II USM +14 more
rpiotr01
Regular MemberPosts: 256Gear list
Like?
Add QC to the list
In reply to kipling, Apr 24, 2013

Now that real world samples are making their way into buyers hands, more and more reports are coming out about continued QC issues at Sigma with AF reliability. Seems the same thing that pops up so often in the 50 1.4 is happening in the 35 1.4 as well. Makes one wonder if Sigma is pre-screening all the lenses they send out for review to make sure they're all perfect.

And please note, I'm not Sigma bashing, I have the 50 1.4 and have nothing against them. I just don't like that they're able to produce a wonderful lens but won't put the QC protocols into place that will assure that almost every one on the shelf is top notch. I'm in the market for a fast 35mm lens and I'm loathe to pull the trigger on the Sigma because of this.

gatorowl
Contributing MemberPosts: 771Gear list
Like?
Re: Add QC to the list
In reply to rpiotr01, Apr 24, 2013

rpiotr01 wrote:

Now that real world samples are making their way into buyers hands, more and more reports are coming out about continued QC issues at Sigma with AF reliability. Seems the same thing that pops up so often in the 50 1.4 is happening in the 35 1.4 as well. Makes one wonder if Sigma is pre-screening all the lenses they send out for review to make sure they're all perfect.

And please note, I'm not Sigma bashing, I have the 50 1.4 and have nothing against them. I just don't like that they're able to produce a wonderful lens but won't put the QC protocols into place that will assure that almost every one on the shelf is top notch. I'm in the market for a fast 35mm lens and I'm loathe to pull the trigger on the Sigma because of this.

Can you be more specific?  I'm yet to see a report of problems with this lens. And even though it would be nice to have almost every lens on the shelf be perfect, I don't think very many of us would be willing to pay the price of maintaining a standard that almost no manufacturer meets. Also, some  merchandise is damaged in transit, which is often (not always) beyond the control of the manufacturer.

Now, I agree that QC is a problem if 20-30% of a product has problem.  Hell, even 10-20% may be too high.

So, what percentage of Sigma 35mm 1.4 lenses do you believe are defective?

gatorowl's gear list:gatorowl's gear list
Nikon D800E Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EOS 100D Canon EF 85mm f/1.2L II USM Canon EF 17-40mm f/4.0L USM +13 more
JLim22
Regular MemberPosts: 297Gear list
Like?
In reply to kipling, Apr 24, 2013

If you want the L ring and the look, pay more and get the Canon.

If you want to get a sharper lens while saving money, get the Sigma.

JLim22's gear list:JLim22's gear list
Sony RX100 II Canon EOS 6D Canon EF 24mm f/1.4L II USM Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM Sigma 15mm F2.8 EX DG Diagonal Fisheye +2 more
rpiotr01
Like?
In reply to gatorowl, Apr 25, 2013

gatorowl wrote:

Can you be more specific?  I'm yet to see a report of problems with this lens. And even though it would be nice to have almost every lens on the shelf be perfect, I don't think very many of us would be willing to pay the price of maintaining a standard that almost no manufacturer meets. Also, some  merchandise is damaged in transit, which is often (not always) beyond the control of the manufacturer.

Now, I agree that QC is a problem if 20-30% of a product has problem.  Hell, even 10-20% may be too high.

All anecdotal evidence of course! I don't have the means or the will to do it more scientifically. But I have seen some comments popping up in FM forums and elsewhere about focus issues that seem identical to what I get out of my Sigma 50 1.4. As the old saying goes, 'Once bitten, twice shy', so personally when I see anyone mention it at all it gives me serious pause.

One guy wrote about it here: http://pindelski.org/Photography/2013/01/13/sigma-35mm-f1-4-dg-hsm-a1-for-nikon-part-ii/

Don't shoot the messenger, just note the issue described.

Some further commentary at Lensrentals.com Blog in the comments section: http://www.lensrentals.com/blog/2012/11/sigma-35mm-f1-4-arrives-announces-new-world-order

Like I said, all anecdotal evidence here so I don't know how widespread it is. However, based on my previous experience with Sigma I cannot discount it.

gatorowl
Contributing MemberPosts: 771Gear list
Like?
In reply to rpiotr01, Apr 25, 2013

Thanks for the reply.

I hope this problem is indeed intermittent.  I'd love to see Sigma become a legitimate competitor to  Canikon in lens production if for no other reason that I can't afford to spend $2000/lens (anymore).

I've had both good and bad experience with Sigma lenses.  So far, the 35mm is a keeper. I hope that I'm not just one of the fortunate few.

rpiotr01 wrote:

gatorowl wrote:

All anecdotal evidence of course! I don't have the means or the will to do it more scientifically. But I have seen some comments popping up in FM forums and elsewhere about focus issues that seem identical to what I get out of my Sigma 50 1.4. As the old saying goes, 'Once bitten, twice shy', so personally when I see anyone mention it at all it gives me serious pause.

One guy wrote about it here: http://pindelski.org/Photography/2013/01/13/sigma-35mm-f1-4-dg-hsm-a1-for-nikon-part-ii/

Don't shoot the messenger, just note the issue described.

Some further commentary at Lensrentals.com Blog in the comments section: http://www.lensrentals.com/blog/2012/11/sigma-35mm-f1-4-arrives-announces-new-world-order

Like I said, all anecdotal evidence here so I don't know how widespread it is. However, based on my previous experience with Sigma I cannot discount it.

gatorowl's gear list:gatorowl's gear list
Nikon D800E Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EOS 100D Canon EF 85mm f/1.2L II USM Canon EF 17-40mm f/4.0L USM +13 more
stan
Senior MemberPosts: 1,842Gear list
Like?
my samples

I posted some wide open samples here: http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1167718/40#11508801

When I was deciding between the sigma and the 35L, the price was a non issue for me, but sharpness and contrast wide open were most important. The sigma did not disappoint. The shop let me test one at the store to make sure there were no focus issues before I bought mine. Very pleased with the lens. I actually prefer it over my 24-70 II as my everyday lens.

-- hide signature --

-Stan
stanc.net

stan's gear list:stan's gear list
Canon EF 85mm f/1.2L II USM
Powerdoc
Senior MemberPosts: 2,883Gear list
Like?
In reply to JLim22, Apr 25, 2013

Yes the sigma is the better choice right now. The only cons with the sigma is that we iare not sure taht  this lens will be ok on next Canon cameras (error 99 and alike).

-- hide signature --

It's all about photography

Powerdoc's gear list:Powerdoc's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Canon EOS 5D Mark II Olympus PEN E-P1 Canon EOS 7D Fujifilm X-Pro1 +27 more
stan
Senior MemberPosts: 1,842Gear list
Like?
In reply to Powerdoc, Apr 25, 2013

Powerdoc wrote:

Yes the sigma is the better choice right now. The only cons with the sigma is that we iare not sure taht  this lens will be ok on next Canon cameras (error 99 and alike).

-- hide signature --

It's all about photography

looks like someone read the Ken Rockwell review!?

I noticed that he's the only person on earth who reviewed the Sigma 35 and mentioned any type of compatibility issues.

-- hide signature --

-Stan
stanc.net

stan's gear list:stan's gear list
Canon EF 85mm f/1.2L II USM
rpiotr01
Like?
In reply to stan, Apr 25, 2013

He also seems to be the only one complaining about build quality.

carlk
Forum ProPosts: 15,917Gear list
Like?
In reply to rpiotr01, Apr 25, 2013

rpiotr01 wrote:

He also seems to be the only one complaining about build quality.

It must be a great lens then.

carlk's gear list:carlk's gear list
Canon EOS 50D Canon EOS 7D Nikon D800E Fujifilm X-E1 Canon EF 85mm f/1.2L II USM +6 more
MadManAce
Regular MemberPosts: 152Gear list
Like?

Can you be more specific?  I'm yet to see a report of problems with this lens.

I went through 4 Sigma 35mm lenses before I decided to get the 35L.  Each had their own unique focusing issues, I really wanted it to work out but I cannot have a lens that misses focus in artificial lighting or at different distances.  If I was not paid to shoot, I would have kept the Sigma that was almost reliable.  So far, I love the 35L, to me having total confidence in my gear is bliss.   I would rather have a star that performs in the clutch than a superstar that chokes when it really matters.

It is a shame because in ideal light lighting conditions (outdoors at medium distances) the Sigma is spectacular, but this is where I would least use it.

I saw a demo at petapixel showing the Sigma USB software at work and they now have the option of AFMA at different distances.  However, I do not know if it will solve the artificial light problem and one of the Sigmas I bought required different AFMA for corner sensors than center sensor.  From what I can see the software will not solve this issue.

MadManAce's gear list:MadManAce's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark III Olympus E-M1 Canon EF 35mm f/1.4L USM Canon EF 85mm f/1.2L II USM Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM +4 more
NancyP
Senior MemberPosts: 4,003Gear list
Like?
Sigma 35mm1.4 very usable for night astro-landscapes at f/1.4
In reply to kipling, Apr 25, 2013

Of course, this use doesn't test autofocus. You pick the brightest celestial object on offer, and use live view to focus on it under 10x magnification.

NancyP's gear list:NancyP's gear list
Sigma DP3 Merrill
wazu
Senior MemberPosts: 1,215
Like?
In reply to kipling, Apr 27, 2013

I bought the Canon L before the Sigma,became available. I really was looking for a fast 50mm for my 5D2 but since the only decent 50mm for Canon seems to be the 50L, which I felt is too expensive and slow AF I went for the 35L for my 7D and 60D.

Looking at the comparison reviews on the net like this one it would seem the Sigma is superior in sharpness, price and warranty. However calculating in the dock for Sigma and it's lower resale value compared to a Canon L lens I think the price difference is not that great. Since I rely alot on AF and want the fastest possible along with most accurate I would say the Canon wins hands down here. Especially if new future bodies come along and Sigma has a more difficult time reverse engineering the interface. This is evident in the difficulties software developers are having with the 5D3.

I have lately been comparing the color and bokeh from the 35L on my 5D2 with my RX1 and believe the RX1 is much much sharper and has better color, but the 35L wins in terms of bokeh and AF speed of course.

It has been interesting to note that rumours of a 35L mkII are floating around, perhaps due to the threat the Sigma is to sales of the 35L. I certainly think Canon could produce a sharper 35 1.2/1.4 with less CA but then at what price will that be? If I were shopping around today I would wait a half year or so to see if a new version is in the works.

As others have mentioned Sigma quality has had a history of poor design (glued instead of screwed components) as well as subrate QC. The 10 year warranty is not great if the lens is going to need continual trips to the repair shop. I have more faith in the L lenses I own to last a lifetime with proper care, plus they will always have a better resale value over Sigma.

-- hide signature --

There is a crack in everything That's how the light gets in. - Leonard Cohen

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads