new HD with my operating system on it as main drive...

Started Apr 22, 2013 | Discussions
Msongs
Contributing MemberPosts: 729
Like?
new HD with my operating system on it as main drive...
Apr 22, 2013

I have a drive with win7 on it now. would benefit from a clean install to dump lots of clutter over the past year. also has my data files of course.

so if I got a new HD and put win7 on that and used the original drive as backup and data source, is there a problem with the new drive win7 as win7 is still running on the older drive?

Or do I have to get rid of win7 on the now-to-be secondary drive first? I have the complete version of win78 that I bought retail, not an OEM

-- hide signature --

Msongs
batik & digital art, t shirts and more!

digitalshooter
Forum ProPosts: 14,213Gear list
Like?
I would move data to new drive and then reinstall OS on original drive
In reply to Msongs, Apr 22, 2013

unless the original drive is too small for future program growth or has disk issues?

If you left the OS on the second drive, it would serve no purpose and may have a conflict on boot up.  You would have to tell the PC in the startup bios to select the new drive as the boot drive.

-- hide signature --

Thanks,
Digitalshooter
PS: all posts are just my opinion!

digitalshooter's gear list:digitalshooter's gear list
Sony Alpha DSLR-A700 Canon Pixma Pro9000 Mark II
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Roland Wooster
Senior MemberPosts: 1,963
Like?
Re: new HD with my operating system on it as main drive...

Best option is to buy a SSD for your OS drive, and then mirror the OS over from the old HDD to the new SSD.

If you get an Intel SSD they offer a "Data Migration Tool" which you can download for free to transfer your OS and programs from the old drive to the new SSD. Seagate offer something similar called "Disk Wizard" to transfer an OS from an old drive to a new Seagate drive. However, a SSD will make a HUGE performance difference, vastly more so than just getting a newer/larger HDD.

Then once you have copied the entire system over to the new SSD you can reformat the older HDD and use it as a data drive.

Presumably a new SSD might be smaller than your current drive, but so long as you delete the files you don't need off the HDD (copy them to a USB drive) then the data migration tool will enable you to transfer over to a smaller SSD so long as your actual usage of data space is less than the size of the SSD.

Roland.

-- hide signature --
GideonW
Contributing MemberPosts: 813
Like?
Re: new HD with my operating system on it as main drive...

It will be fine. In order to ensure that everything works the way you want it to:

1. Uncouple the old drive and install the new one.
  2. Install Windows on the new drive.
  3. Hook up the old drive again. Dive into the BIOS to ensure that your new drive has priority in the boot order.

By doing it this way, you ensure that nothing of your new installation ends up on your old drive and you can run your machine without it even installed. After everything is up and running, you can opt to simply delete your Windows and Program Files folders on your old drive to make more space. Or you can leave them there to have a backup OS (change boot priority in the BIOS to your old drive to start your old installation).

Richard
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,669
Like?
EZBCD
In reply to Msongs, Apr 23, 2013

Msongs wrote:

I have a drive with win7 on it now. would benefit from a clean install to dump lots of clutter over the past year. also has my data files of course.

so if I got a new HD and put win7 on that and used the original drive as backup and data source, is there a problem with the new drive win7 as win7 is still running on the older drive?

Or do I have to get rid of win7 on the now-to-be secondary drive first? I have the complete version of win78 that I bought retail, not an OEM

-- hide signature --

Msongs
batik & digital art, t shirts and more!

You don't have to get rid of your old windows 7 boot.

Disconnect old windows drive sata connector and plug that sata connector into new drive.

Install new hard drive (could be SSD or not) and freshly install windows on it.

Plug in old hard drive with old windows 7 on it using a different hard drive.

Boot your system. Install a free program called EZBCD. Tell it to find your old OS (it has a recovery function that looks for other installs other than the one you are booted to) after it has found it, name it to something your recognize.

When you reboot, you will have two choices on a black screen to boot to new OS or old OS.

When I first purchased a computer, I backed the computer up when it was brand new installed my new second hard drive with the same OS as the first one. Never had an issue.

kelpdiver
Senior MemberPosts: 1,898
Like?
Re: I would move data to new drive and then reinstall OS on original drive
In reply to digitalshooter, Apr 24, 2013

digitalshooter wrote:

unless the original drive is too small for future program growth or has disk issues?

If you left the OS on the second drive, it would serve no purpose and may have a conflict on boot up.  You would have to tell the PC in the startup bios to select the new drive as the boot drive.

Unless you have no choice, you should always preserve the original drive state until you're sure the replacement is functioning well.  Then if you encounter any trouble, you just slap the original drive back in.

So my preference is to

1- backup data

2- pull original drive

3- install OS to new drive

4- restore data

5- after suitable bake time (2 weeks?) - reuse original drive as desired

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads