Fenway Pics: My sons ipod is often better than my 5D

Started Apr 22, 2013 | Discussions
jburrows500
Regular MemberPosts: 155Gear list
Like?
Fenway Pics: My sons ipod is often better than my 5D
Apr 22, 2013

My 11 year old son and I went to Fenway today for a great afternoon of baseball.  There he is taking a panoramic pictures of the ball park that looks absolutely beautiful.. You would have though a fish-eye lens took it.. stitched together perfectly . all hand held.  Other shots throughout the day were perfectly balanced where my pics I knew would have to be edited in Lightroom for an hour to get similar results.. Sure I beat him everyday on pictures that require a shallow depth of field with my 5D and sigma 50mm 1.4.. but in landscape and general picture taking.. this ipod beats out my 5 pound body and lens more often than I care to admit... really starting to scratch my head and ask why I am I lugging this thing around... anyone else?

jburrows500's gear list:jburrows500's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Sigma 50mm F1.4 EX DG HSM Rokinon 14mm f/2.8 IF ED MC Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 4 +1 more
Canon EOS 5D
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Kodachrome200
Contributing MemberPosts: 759Gear list
Like?
Re: Fenway Pics: My sons ipod is often better than my 5D
In reply to jburrows500, Apr 22, 2013

my guess is you are shooting raw files without processing them. lightroom will defualt to pretty flat. also perhaps you like the effect of the wideange lens and you did not have lens that could delive similar results. maybe the auto wb was working very well on the ipod but not on our 5d or you had the wb set wrong

Kodachrome200's gear list:Kodachrome200's gear list
Ricoh GR Nikon D800 Sigma 12-24mm F4.5-5.6 EX DG Aspherical HSM Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.8G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 85mm f/1.8G +3 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Mark Scott Abeln
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,100Gear list
Like?

My iPod takes terrible photos, but my iPhone is marvelous, especially its automatic white balance, which is far better than the AWB in my Nikon or even the AWB in Photoshop. I do understand that Apple implements more advanced algorithms for this, especially since the iOS 5 software update.

I have yet to try the panorama feature in the iPhone.

For casual snapshots, the iPhone does a very good job, oftentimes better than my Nikon because of its deeper inherent depth of field. But it is limited in what it can do well.

Mark Scott Abeln's gear list:Mark Scott Abeln's gear list
Nikon D200 Nikon D7000 Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G Rokinon 85mm F1.4
tko
tko
Forum ProPosts: 10,430
Like?
why don't you post some pics and let us judge?

jburrows500 wrote:

My 11 year old son and I went to Fenway today for a great afternoon of baseball.  There he is taking a panoramic pictures of the ball park that looks absolutely beautiful..

How large? Printed? Or viewed on his iPhone?

You would have though a fish-eye lens took it.. stitched together perfectly . all hand held.  Other shots throughout the day were perfectly balanced where my pics I knew would have to be edited in Lightroom for an hour to get similar results.

If I spend more than a minute editing it's too long. What are you doing? What does "perfectly balanced" mean?

Sure I beat him everyday on pictures that require a shallow depth of field with my 5D and sigma 50mm 1.4.. but in landscape and general picture taking.. this ipod beats out my 5 pound body and lens more often than I care to admit

Define "beat." Produce 20X30 wall mounted prints that look great?

... really starting to scratch my head and ask why I am I lugging this thing around... anyone else?

If you take snapshots with your Canon, and display them snapshot size, you might get beaten by a snapshot camera.  Just be warned. If you have to ask why a guy on a bicycle beats you in your Ferrari, people are going to scratch their heads and come up with the obvious response.

jon404
Senior MemberPosts: 1,795
Like?

It's because you are a Red Sox fan, and that old World Series hex has returned in a new guise, to torment adult photographers, but mercifully not their children, who still have time to grow up and become Padres fans.

-- hide signature --

Jonathon Donahue -- author, 'Drawing for Money' and 'Self-Publishing Secrets', at http://Jon404.com

papillon_65
Forum ProPosts: 19,077Gear list
Like?

jburrows500 wrote:

My 11 year old son and I went to Fenway today for a great afternoon of baseball.  There he is taking a panoramic pictures of the ball park that looks absolutely beautiful.. You would have though a fish-eye lens took it.. stitched together perfectly . all hand held.  Other shots throughout the day were perfectly balanced where my pics I knew would have to be edited in Lightroom for an hour to get similar results.. Sure I beat him everyday on pictures that require a shallow depth of field with my 5D and sigma 50mm 1.4.. but in landscape and general picture taking.. this ipod beats out my 5 pound body and lens more often than I care to admit... really starting to scratch my head and ask why I am I lugging this thing around... anyone else?

If you can't appreciate the difference between the files produced by the 5D and an Iphone/Ipod then you really don't need the 5D, liberate yourself and use what your son uses.

-- hide signature --

For the person who is good with a hammer, everything in life tends to look like a nail.....
Tony
http://the-random-photographer.blogspot.com/

papillon_65's gear list:papillon_65's gear list
Sigma DP2 Merrill Sigma DP1 Merrill Fujifilm XF1 Sigma DP3 Merrill Fujifilm FinePix X100 +4 more
jvkelley
Contributing MemberPosts: 834Gear list
Like?

jburrows500 wrote:

I've felt the same way before.  Once I went to the Monterrey Bay Aquarium with my DSLR.  I remember all these people with camera phones and point and shoot cameras that looked like they were getting shots just as good as mine.

-- hide signature --

J.V.

jvkelley's gear list:jvkelley's gear list
Canon PowerShot S50 Canon EOS 400D Canon EOS 70D Canon EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 IS USM Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II +3 more
Richard
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,839
Like?
He is probably a better photographer than you.

jburrows500 wrote:

At least that is what I have been told here, that a good photographer can carry around a point and shoot or camera phone and make better pictures than a noob with a FF.

Your statement speak quite loudly about the differing level of skills between you and your son.

But I am sure that you are proud that your son has succeed where you have failed, it is what we hope, our children are more talented than we are.

Great Bustard
Forum ProPosts: 24,681
Like?
As we all know...

jburrows500 wrote:

...processing can make an absolutely massive difference in the look of a photo.  It may simply be that the preprogrammed software in the iPhone was designed specifically for such photos (among others, of course), and does a fantastic job with files that are significantly inferior to the 5D files.

Here's a quick example -- let's say you are taking a pic of a scene with a large dynamic range, such as people backlit by a bright light source.  The iPhone might take two exposures in rapid succession, one for the people, one for the background, and merge them, all in a seemless automatic manner that the photographer is completely oblivious to.  The photographer with the 5D, on the other hand, would have to manually take two exposures, and merge in dedicated software, else they'd end up with a single exposure that either overexposed the background or underexposed the people.

As always, without posted pics, it's hard to say.  Still, pretty amazing how good those phone cams can be, isn't it?

MiLei
Contributing MemberPosts: 605Gear list
Like?

It was more than ten ago I first saw good digital camera photos. They were good on a computer screen. So the camera does not matter so much.

It is the matter of skill and luck to get a good photo. Like where you aim your camera and timing when you press the trigger. It is the same on every camera. 5D photos are not automatically better or even good.

SLRs dont have fancy software features like panoramic pictures or face detection. Panoramas and so on are made afterwards.

But equipment matters sometimes too. What lenses you have. Like if you shoot sports, a tele is handy. Or if you want to crop or print big you need megapixels. What of those does an Ipad have.

MiLei's gear list:MiLei's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS USM Sigma 70mm F2.8 EX DG Macro +2 more
Draek
Senior MemberPosts: 2,028Gear list
Like?

It's been said time and time again but, cameras don't take photographs, photographers do. Thus, it's not that your son's iPod is superior to your SLR, it's simply that your son's more talented than you are.

It happens, be proud, and thank your stars he wasn't two years old when he did it.

Draek's gear list:Draek's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix F70EXR Canon PowerShot A1200 Samsung TL500 Sony Alpha DSLR-A390
rsn48
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,130
Like?
ipod is often better than my 5D - no it isn't

1  If you compare an image from your son's unit and yours, yours on the screen and his on his pad, it might look like the pad is better, but it isn't; upload that image to your screen and you'll find it doesn't hold together that well, except images in bright light.

2.  Your son's images are much more "processed" in camera, just as my HTC One S camera phone processes much more in camera than my 5D 2.  But you can change your settings with your 5D and get images much more processed, factory setting is "neutral" and pics come out boring, forget fancy software, something basic you can use quickly will yield you decent results, down load Picasa3 and learn how to use it, not hard at all, made for idiots like me.

3.  There is no P&S, camera phone, "I" this or that which can out compete the 5D.  Want to make your son's camera look like crap, then go into town at night and shoot some night scenes, then upload it to your computer screen, I'm assuming you have a reasonably large screen, your son's images won't hold together well at all, yours will.

4.  Fact is, were are into a golden age of the crappiest photos I have ever seen in my life while folks take garbage images with their camera phones and I type pads ((I'm speaking technically here folks, not subject matter) and pass them on to friends; my wife being the worse offender....lol and my son next, when he uses his older Blackberry.

-- hide signature --

Hindsight is better than foresight, except for lost opportunity costs.

Dennis
Forum ProPosts: 13,982
Like?

My wife has been carrying around an iPhone 5 since XMas - her first "smart phone" and one big impact is that she always has a phone with her, shoots a lot, and shares with friends on facebook (in the past, she'd get tired of waiting for me to download, tweak, email or put on a flash drive so she could upload ... by then, whatever she wanted to share was old news).  The image quality is amazing !  So long as you're looking at them on the device or on the web   I've downloaded some into Lightroom.  At 100% they're pretty bad.  Printed to modest sizes, they'd be ok, at least the technically better ones.  And she uses the software zoom feature, which results in really poor (cropped) images.  Seriously, I'm impressed with how good they are for a camera you always have with you.  But not in absolute terms, and definitely not in comparison with my DSLR (or my pocketable Sony RX100).

- Dennis

-- hide signature --
Mitrajoon
Senior MemberPosts: 1,404Gear list
Like?

Had the same experience recently when we took a friend to a local butterfly world.  I had my 800e, 24-70 2.8 and a couple of other lenses.  I'm fiddling with settings and cursing as I'm changing lenses.  She's just snapping photos and making videos with her IPhone.

When we got home she put them on her IPad and I was completely blown away (and embarrassed).  It would take me at least a couple of hours to convert my files into the quality pics she was showing us, and she had terrific video as well.  All with no sweat (or cursing).

Of course, she couldn't capture a butterfly with an out of focus background, but she has since had a couple images printed at 12x18 and they look very good.  No doubt that many on this forum would find things to critique, but she is very proud of those images and rightly so.

-- hide signature --
RAG64
Junior MemberPosts: 35
Like?

You are right. If you can't take better pictures with a 5D than an iPod or iPad - landscape or otherwise! - then you really shouldn't be lugging it anywhere.

joejack951
Senior MemberPosts: 2,399Gear list
Like?
In reply to Mitrajoon, Apr 22, 2013

New flash: DSLR owner in over their head with gear gets outgunned by P&S/camera phone owner.

Actually, not news, but certainly a clear message that you probably should spend more time learning your gear and less time buying new stuff.

joejack951's gear list:joejack951's gear list
Nikon Coolpix P7700 Nikon Coolpix AW100 Nikon D300S Nikon D3S Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 105mm f/2.8G IF-ED VR +5 more
MiLei
Contributing MemberPosts: 605Gear list
Like?
In reply to Draek, Apr 22, 2013

Draek wrote:

It's been said time and time again but, cameras don't take photographs, photographers do.

True. But I have noticed that pictures taken by someone else often look better than mine. This happens to others too. As you may guess there may be many reasons for this, but one reason is too much self–critique.

MiLei's gear list:MiLei's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS USM Sigma 70mm F2.8 EX DG Macro +2 more
CanonShooter2013
New MemberPosts: 9
Like?

jburrows500 wrote:

Sounds like operator error to me...  Better equipment gives you the ability to take a wider range of TYPES of shots, but for a given type, it won't make your shots better.

unknown member
(unknown member)
Like?

jburrows500 wrote:

this ipod beats out my 5 pound body and lens more often than I care to admit... really starting to scratch my head and ask why I am I lugging this thing around... anyone else?

You are very confused.  A Canon 5D with a 50mm Sigma lens does not weigh 5 pounds.

-- hide signature --

9 years of Fujifilm camera usage, ended by rampant fanboyism.

rattymouse's gear list:rattymouse's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix F70EXR Fujifilm FinePix F10 Zoom Fujifilm FinePix F20 Zoom Fujifilm X10 Fujifilm FinePix X100 +9 more
jburrows500
Regular MemberPosts: 155Gear list
Like?
In reply to papillon_65, Apr 23, 2013

papillon_65 wrote:

jburrows500 wrote:

If you can't appreciate the difference between the files produced by the 5D and an Iphone/Ipod then you really don't need the 5D, liberate yourself and use what your son uses.

-- hide signature --

For the person who is good with a hammer, everything in life tends to look like a nail.....
Tony
http://the-random-photographer.blogspot.com/

Maybe I should just sell my 5D Tony and spend $2000 more to on a 5DIII then maybe I would "appreciate" taking pictures...  because it's all about what is around your neck right Tony... not about what the box with an iris, shutter and composer can do... Such an elitist mind set.. I hope your Lieca M3 serves you well...

jburrows500's gear list:jburrows500's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Sigma 50mm F1.4 EX DG HSM Rokinon 14mm f/2.8 IF ED MC Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 4 +1 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads