The goal - First, grab your attention. . .

Started Apr 21, 2013 | Discussions
Bob Tullis
Forum ProPosts: 26,363Gear list
Like?
The goal - First, grab your attention. . .
Apr 21, 2013

. . . capture your eye so to speak, then guide it about while keeping it on a leash so it doesn't leave the frame.

It doesn't always work, but that's the goal, isn't it?

-- hide signature --

...Bob, NYC
http://www.bobtullis.com
"Well, sometimes the magic works. . . Sometimes, it doesn't." - Little Big Man

Bob Tullis's gear list:Bob Tullis's gear list
Olympus E-M1 Olympus M.Zuiko ED 75-300mm 1:4.8-6.7 II Rokinon 7.5mm 1:3.5 UMC Fisheye CS Voigtlander Nokton 17.5mm F0.95 Aspherical Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 +18 more
Guy Parsons
Forum ProPosts: 18,638Gear list
Like?
Re: The goal - First, grab your attention. . .
In reply to Bob Tullis, Apr 21, 2013

They all worked for me except in the narrow walkway/footbridge situations where you do need a person there, walking away is fine, to "show the purpose" of the structure.

OK that's just drawing on the mess of notes that I accumulated once after listening to many camera club judge comments over the years - usually criticising my "gems"

Anyway, I always like seeing your shots, saves me a trip to NY.

Regards...... Guy

Guy Parsons's gear list:Guy Parsons's gear list
Olympus PEN E-PL5 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 45-150mm F4-5.6 ASPH Mega OIS Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX3 Casio Exilim EX-ZR1000 +16 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
S. Miller
Contributing MemberPosts: 600
Like?
In reply to Bob Tullis, Apr 21, 2013

Worked for me Bob. I was drawn in to each shot and given plenty of places to keep looking. Well done!

Steve

Hen3ry
Senior MemberPosts: 8,993Gear list
Like?
In reply to Guy Parsons, Apr 22, 2013

Guy Parsons wrote:

They all worked for me except in the narrow walkway/footbridge situations where you do need a person there, walking away is fine, to "show the purpose" of the structure.

For me, the first one is a little disappointing. Go two steps closer and slightly left so you get a pile filling that empty space in the bottom righthand corner? And also get the foot of the bridge upright clear of the piles? Fall into the water in the process and die of some foul pollution? 

OK that's just drawing on the mess of notes that I accumulated once after listening to many camera club judge comments over the years - usually criticising my "gems"

That's a good idea. When my daughter was younger, I used to offer treats in exchange for her being the human figure in such situations.

Bob, did you take any off center a bit? I tend to prefer that these days -- makes the picture more complex yet retains the essential symmetry in the eye of the beholder.

Ditto about like your work, Bob, if envy and generally unfulfilled promises to myself to lift my game by trying a couple of things like yours can be translated to "like"! 

In this group, the killer shot for me is the last one. In our shared culture, the bottom right is the "natural" exit point for the eye -- but in that pic, the eye gets there and is forcefully directed back up to the top again by the curved steps, then the bridge drags us through the pic again. Excellent!

Not having to visit NY, Guy, leaves you free to squander your time and treasure one letter further along in the alphabet -- NZ. 

Cheers, geoff

Hen3ry's gear list:Hen3ry's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-G6 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 100-300mm F4-5.6 OIS Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 Panasonic 12-35mm F2.8 +4 more
rpm40
Senior MemberPosts: 1,914Gear list
Like?
In reply to Hen3ry, Apr 22, 2013

Some really terrific compositions. Good work as usual.

rpm40's gear list:rpm40's gear list
Olympus PEN E-PL1 Olympus PEN E-PM2 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6 II R +3 more
jalywol
jalywol MOD
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,037Gear list
Like?
In reply to Bob Tullis, Apr 22, 2013

Gotta say, Bob, I love your City work....I hope you are showing and selling it because it really is good stuff.

-J

Olyroo
Regular MemberPosts: 317Gear list
Like?
In reply to jalywol, Apr 22, 2013

Ditto. Would love to see them in colour though

Olyroo's gear list:Olyroo's gear list
Olympus C-8080 Wide Zoom Olympus PEN E-PL1 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6 II R +6 more
Neurad1
Contributing MemberPosts: 944Gear list
Like?

Beautiful stuff. Can you discuss the postprocessing you did a little?

Neurad1's gear list:Neurad1's gear list
Canon PowerShot S95 Sony RX1 RX100 III Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus PEN E-PL5 +30 more
highwave
Senior MemberPosts: 1,041Gear list
Like?

Amazing photos

I hate black and white and yet I was absolutly astounded by these

Something to aspire to when I'm learning about how to take nice photos

highwave's gear list:highwave's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 45-150mm F4-5.6 ASPH Mega OIS +3 more
Bob Tullis
Like?

Guy Parsons wrote:

Interesting collection of observations.  The last one is particularly spot on - and for that I'm particularly remiss.

[guffaw!]  Priceless!

-- hide signature --

...Bob, NYC

Olympus E-M1 Olympus M.Zuiko ED 75-300mm 1:4.8-6.7 II Rokinon 7.5mm 1:3.5 UMC Fisheye CS Voigtlander Nokton 17.5mm F0.95 Aspherical Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 +18 more
LincolnB
Senior MemberPosts: 3,679Gear list
Like?

This one especially has the look of a graphic novel, a scene out of the movie "Sin City" perhaps.

Nice B&W series, thanks for sharing that.

LincolnB's gear list:LincolnB's gear list
Olympus PEN E-P1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G3 Fujifilm X-E1 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-42mm F3.5-5.6 II ASPH Mega OIS +4 more
Bob Tullis
Like?
In reply to Hen3ry, Apr 22, 2013

Hen3ry wrote:

Guy Parsons wrote:

For me, the first one is a little disappointing. Go two steps closer and slightly left so you get a pile filling that empty space in the bottom righthand corner? And also get the foot of the bridge upright clear of the piles? Fall into the water in the process and die of some foul pollution? 

You're right, but the best I could do there is get 4 bridge towers in the scene.  I had to rely on the railing for the Ultra Pod, where if I had the tripod I could have raised the camera to deal better with the piles.

That's a good idea. When my daughter was younger, I used to offer treats in exchange for her being the human figure in such situations.

Bob, did you take any off center a bit? I tend to prefer that these days -- makes the picture more complex yet retains the essential symmetry in the eye of the beholder.

I usually try to avoid centering, so where it is usually is a conscious decision.  In the field I often ask myself "Why?" when I find I'm centering a horizon or subject; I shoot a little wide often, and very often correct for perspective, and along with that goes a generosity to crop in post for for another assessment.  With those strong perspective lines it depends on the surrounding supporting features.

Ditto about like your work, Bob, if envy and generally unfulfilled promises to myself to lift my game by trying a couple of things like yours can be translated to "like"! 

I appreciate that.  I feel the same, it's the inspiration of others work that drives me to strive for more from myself.  

In this group, the killer shot for me is the last one. In our shared culture, the bottom right is the "natural" exit point for the eye -- but in that pic, the eye gets there and is forcefully directed back up to the top again by the curved steps, then the bridge drags us through the pic again. Excellent!

Not having to visit NY, Guy, leaves you free to squander your time and treasure one letter further along in the alphabet -- NZ. 

-- hide signature --

...Bob, NYC

pegasus1457
Senior MemberPosts: 1,835
Like?
Some great ones!

They are all good, but I especially liked the last 2 in the series.  The fact that the moving car is blurred adds to the allure of the 2nd to last -- it makes it impossible to peg the date when the image was taken. That, together with the BW treatment, gives it an ageless quality.

The composition of the last one is wonderful.

Keep it up!

alfredo_tomato
Senior MemberPosts: 2,616Gear list
Like?

For me the absence of of a human allowed my eye to settle on that black window in the distance.

alfredo_tomato's gear list:alfredo_tomato's gear list
Olympus PEN E-PL1s Olympus PEN E-PM2 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4.0-5.6 Sigma 30mm F2.8 EX DN Sigma 19mm F2.8 EX DN +4 more
jfinite
Veteran MemberPosts: 8,094Gear list
Like?
Good stuff. [nt]
 jfinite's gear list:jfinite's gear list
Olympus E-30 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Leica D Summilux Asph 25mm F1.4 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 75mm 1:1.8 +3 more
Kleeks13
Regular MemberPosts: 305
Like?

Lovely Bob.  I just posted on another thread about the role of the Oly Pen-F in NY street photography in the mid-20th century and here you post shots that remind me of that era.  Except for two important issues 1.ability to shoot night shots without tripod etc. and 2.  no spending a couple of days in a stinkin' darkroom...you could be a reincarnation of those Time/Life photographers....
Kleeks

RoelHendrickx
Forum ProPosts: 22,276
Like?
I'll use this thread to explain "leading lines" next time

Bob Tullis wrote:

. . . capture your eye so to speak, then guide it about while keeping it on a leash so it doesn't leave the frame.

Next time when I want to illustrate the concept of leading lines (and vanishing points) to someone, I'll use this thread for its fine examples.

It doesn't always work, but that's the goal, isn't it?

-- hide signature --

...Bob, NYC

-- hide signature --

Roel Hendrickx
lots of images: www.roelh.zenfolio.com
my E-3 user field report from Tunisian Sahara: http://www.biofos.com/ukpsg/roel.html

Bob Tullis
Like?
In reply to jalywol, Apr 22, 2013

jalywol wrote:

Gotta say, Bob, I love your City work....I hope you are showing and selling it because it really is good stuff.

Yea, Janet. . . I have to get around to that.  [g]

-- hide signature --

...Bob, NYC

Bob Tullis
Like?
In reply to Neurad1, Apr 22, 2013

Neurad1 wrote:

Beautiful stuff. Can you discuss the postprocessing you did a little?

Basically, start out with the RAW in LR to correct for any  CA/fringing, tweak WB/colors and work on the tonality, with a mild (?) application of NR and sharpening.   The tonality often runs like this - pull down whites while keeping the white point high, raise Shadows while maintaining the black point.

Actually, I've been taking the mono JPGs and working on them first (a good exposure at ISO 3200 can be surprisingly work-able).   If needed I'd turn to the RAW as described and then feed it to Silver Efex Pro.  After the basics, then an overall view of the tones is examined to see if portions of what's within the frame are distractingly bright or dark (say, the left side of the exposure is naturally brighter than the right, to try to insure that's not a distraction).   If this is the case, sometimes it's obvious at the onset, at others it reveals itself when I add the final vignetting touch.

-- hide signature --

...Bob, NYC

Bob Tullis
Like?
In reply to highwave, Apr 22, 2013

highwave wrote:

Amazing photos

I hate black and white and yet I was absolutly astounded by these

That's awfully flattering, thank you.  

-- hide signature --

...Bob, NYC

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads