First Post - D800 soon, Please Advise: Which first two lenses?

Started Apr 21, 2013 | Discussions
Tommot1965
Contributing MemberPosts: 906Gear list
Like?
Re: First Post - D800 soon, Please Advise: Which first two lenses?
In reply to r0gue, Apr 22, 2013

I cant understand why people are trying to get you into a lower end camera just because you are new to DSLR's....I would by the D800 if the funds are not a issues...

my lense choice if you're after a zoom is the 24-70..just buy that one lens and learn it and the camera .

if primes are your thing..the 50 1.8 AFS and the 85 1.8 AFS

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Anthony Nadia
New MemberPosts: 9
Like?
In reply to Tommot1965, Apr 22, 2013

Tommot1965 wrote:

I cant understand why people are trying to get you into a lower end camera just because you are new to DSLR's....I would by the D800 if the funds are not a issues...

My sentiments exactly!!!!!  Could it be jealousy?

my lense choice if you're after a zoom is the 24-70..just buy that one lens and learn it and the camera .

if primes are your thing..the 50 1.8 AFS and the 85 1.8 AFS

Shipaground
New MemberPosts: 4
Like?
In reply to Anthony Nadia, Apr 22, 2013

In the UK you can buy a sharp and contrasty nikkor 50mm 1.8 D new for £100. If you get one of those and make the camera meter on spot you'll be exactly where most photographers began. Then you can start to dial in some of the fancy stuff that camera can do as you go. Good luck.

messengerphoto
Junior MemberPosts: 26
Like?
In reply to r0gue, Apr 22, 2013

I would tell my son to buy a used D300 and an 18-70mm lens to go with  it. In addition I would tell him to purchase an SB910 light, a white balance card,and a subscription to Kelby training .CS6 would also be a great idea. That package would take him far, very very far.

r0gue
Junior MemberPosts: 38
Like?
Re: Perturbed by the Rudeness and Hostility on these Forums
In reply to Anthony Nadia, Apr 23, 2013

Anthony Nadia wrote:

...I'm not about to question why you as a beginner are considering a D800.  As a matter of fact, I applaud you for having the good instincts to buy something superb, sophisticated and flexible that you won't grow out of in a year.

Thank you for the kind words.  My quest started in the DX models and I was soon convinced that FX was where I wanted to be based on the number of folks I'd noticed selling their DX to go FX.  Many of them were going to the Canon (E6?) model which is a pretty nice price right now.  But something about the feel of the Nikon, and the numbers of people I'd noticed embracing them in the forums led me that way.  I'm a technology guy, so I can appreciate specs, but what I really like is that in 10 years, this will still be a great camera.  So front loading the investment will not be a waste like over-buying a PC now would be in say.. 10 years.  So in short, why not?  

I think I'll have three lenses in short order, but the one that I get WITH the D800 will be the discounted lens, so I want to leverage the maximum discount.

Lens Sale

That's the page I'm looking at.  If I'm ultimately going to get a lens from the top row, better to get it now if you know what I mean.  hehe

GeneZh
Junior MemberPosts: 33
Like?
In reply to r0gue, Apr 23, 2013

r0gue wrote:

I'm new to DSLRs.  Some photography enthusiast friends gave me a lot of instruction and I found myself enticed to a full frame D800.  That was a loong contemplation and a LOAD of research and advice.  But that said, I find the lens decision a little more challenging.

(I think) I want a nice prime for faces, family, friends. Thinking of a 50 or 85.  Either in a 1.4 or 1.8.

And (I think) I want a nice ll around zoom lens.

I'd love to hear some advice from all of you.  I'll keep poking around to continue learning.  Thank for your help!

D800 is my 1st SLR & my 1st DSLR.  My 1st 2 lenses are 24-120 f4 & 50 1.8G.  I chose the 24-120 over the 24-70 for VR & extra reach.  I chose the 50 1.8G because of its normal view & recommendation by someone.  But I used the 50 only twice, both for planned group shots.  And for the zoom, I would now prefer the better image quality and extra stop of the 24-70.  So if I select my 1st 2 lenses now, I'd go with the 24-70 & 85 1.8G.  The 85 is very sharp, when focusing right.  But I'm still learning how to make it focus right consistently.

GeneZh
Junior MemberPosts: 33
Like?

r0gue wrote:

Anthony Nadia wrote:

...I'm not about to question why you as a beginner are considering a D800.  As a matter of fact, I applaud you for having the good instincts to buy something superb, sophisticated and flexible that you won't grow out of in a year.

Thank you for the kind words.  My quest started in the DX models and I was soon convinced that FX was where I wanted to be based on the number of folks I'd noticed selling their DX to go FX.  Many of them were going to the Canon (E6?) model which is a pretty nice price right now.  But something about the feel of the Nikon, and the numbers of people I'd noticed embracing them in the forums led me that way.  I'm a technology guy, so I can appreciate specs, but what I really like is that in 10 years, this will still be a great camera.  So front loading the investment will not be a waste like over-buying a PC now would be in say.. 10 years.  So in short, why not?  

I think I'll have three lenses in short order, but the one that I get WITH the D800 will be the discounted lens, so I want to leverage the maximum discount.

Lens Sale

That's the page I'm looking at.  If I'm ultimately going to get a lens from the top row, better to get it now if you know what I mean.  hehe

I noticed your mentioning the feel of Nikon, can't help to say some more.  Before I bought my D800, which is my 1st SLR and DSLR, I focused my research more on Nikon than Canon.  I don't know how I got the idea that Nikon is like Honda and Canon is like Toyota.  I don't like our RAV4 (it's ugly), but I like my Civic.  And I feel Toyota and Canon have too many lines of products, and a company with many lines probably would not make as good products as a company that has just a few specialized lines.  So I preoccupied my self with Nikon.  But I wish I had done more research on Canon, because I found that my feel of my lenses basically agrees with the test results of photozone.net, and based on their tests I feel that canon lenses are probably a little better than Nikon. Besides, I'm still not able to make my D800 focus right consistently on the 1.8 primes.  So now I wish I had gone with Canon, but I'm stuck with Nikon as my system is already complete now.

It's just my personal thought. Yours may be different.  So my suggestion is do good research on both Canon & Nikon, then make a decision.

PHXAZCRAIG
Forum ProPosts: 10,949Gear list
Like?

Don't just decide to go with a D800 because a lot of people are moving from DX to FX and the D800 is probably the best FX DSLR out there.   FX isn't a natural 'upgrade path' from DX.  It's more of a different beast altogether, with different strengths and weaknesses.

DX strengths - size, weight, price.   Greater depth of field.   More lens choices (since you can use either DX or FX lenses).

FX strengths - high ISO capability (in general), wider wide angles, shallow depth of field.

Thing is, IQ is not in favor of either format.  IQ is excellent either way.   It's mostly dependent on the sensor, and what's great today will be average in a couple of years.

I'm often reminded of the weaknesses of my D800e, depending on what I shoot.   Frame rate?  I miss 8fps from my D300 and D700.   Depth of field?  Have to stop down more than I expect.  edge-to-edge sharpness?  I have very few lenses that are truly good into the corners (and I have some pretty good and pricy lenses).   While I love the quality of the D800e files, they also come with that size penalty.    If Nikon comes out with a D400, using a modern 24mp DX sensor, with 8fps, I'll be buying one of those for wildlfe most likely.

-- hide signature --

Craig
www.cjcphoto.net

PHXAZCRAIG's gear list:PHXAZCRAIG's gear list
Nikon 1 V1 Nikon D200 Nikon D300 Nikon D700 Nikon D800E +32 more
Joerg V
Contributing MemberPosts: 582Gear list
Like?
Sigma 35mm 1,4 + Nikon 85 1,8G

I'm new to DSLRs.  Some photography enthusiast friends gave me a lot of instruction and I found myself enticed to a full frame D800.  That was a loong contemplation and a LOAD of research and advice.  But that said, I find the lens decision a little more challenging.

(I think) I want a nice prime for faces, family, friends. Thinking of a 50 or 85.  Either in a 1.4 or 1.8.

And (I think) I want a nice ll around zoom lens.

I'd love to hear some advice from all of you.  I'll keep poking around to continue learning.  Thank for your help!

Hi,

that depends on your budget.

I did the same as you did: TONS and TONS and TONS of research for my first DSLR (after using a Sigma DP1 for years) and also decided on the D800. And every imagehas been a feast after that (not counting the first weeks to get used to it).

If you want exactly two lens: my choice would (and will be!) the Sigma 35mm 1,4 and after that the Nikon 85 1,8G. Those are lenses that do the sensor as much justice as possible.

Please be aware than even the high end zoom lenses (like the 24-70) do not reach the optical level of primes.

The 50mm 1.8G is also a no brainer with an excellent IQ per buck ratio (note that it does not reach the level of the better primes). That's why I started with the one - but I will sell it once I can afford the other two lenses.

Cheers

Joerg

Joerg V's gear list:Joerg V's gear list
Sigma DP1 Nikon D800 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.8G Sigma 35mm F1.4 DG HSM Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 60mm f/2.8G ED +3 more
marike6
Senior MemberPosts: 5,070Gear list
Like?

I use the 28-50-85 1.8G, Sigma 105 macro and 70-200 f4 VR.  They all work wonderfully with the D800.  If you want a macro lens, you might have a look at the 90 2.8 VC Macro or Nikon 105 VR, but the Sigma, Tokina, and Tamron macros are all superb performers.

For a standard 24-70 zoom, have a look at the Tamron 24-70 2.8 VC or the Nikon 24-70 2.8.  The Nikon is better built, with faster AF, the Tamron has Vibration Control to correct for camera shake at slower shutter speeds.  Optically I'd give the Nikkor the edge but the DxOMark test of the Tamron showed them to be fairly close.  If you want the all around better lens that will hold it's value and last a lifetime, get the Nikon.  If you want to save around $800 or if you plan to shoot handheld video, get the Tamron.

Best of luck and happy shooting, Markus

marike6's gear list:marike6's gear list
Nikon Coolpix P330 Nikon D800 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Fujifilm X-E1 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/4G ED VR +7 more
slimandy
Forum ProPosts: 14,574Gear list
Like?

For faces I like the Sigma 85mm f1.4 HSM. I have used it on a D800e and it was superb. If anything I'd want a longer lens but the 85 is quite versatile if space is tight. I wouildn't go shorter.

For general use, events and travel I like the Nikon 24~120mm f4 VR. I have also used that on a D800 and liked that too. Decent range, decent IQ, not too heavy.

I don't have a D800 myself; I use a D700.

-- hide signature --

www.andrewsandersphotography.co.uk

slimandy's gear list:slimandy's gear list
Sony RX100 II Olympus OM-D E-M5 Fujifilm X-T1 Fujifilm X-E1 Nikon D700 +1 more
ki11ua
Forum MemberPosts: 58Gear list
Like?
Re: Sigma 35mm 1,4 + Nikon 85 1,8G
In reply to Joerg V, Apr 23, 2013

For the Sigma 35mm 1.5 I couldn't agree more. But for the nikon 85mm 1.8g I still have consideration, mainly for the low flare resistance and low transmission of the lens.

ki11ua's gear list:ki11ua's gear list
Sony SLT-A55 Nikon D600 Sony DT 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 SAM Sony DT 35mm F1.8 SAM Sony DT 55-200mm F4-5.6 SAM +6 more
Alberto 1290
Forum MemberPosts: 78Gear list
Like?
In reply to ki11ua, Apr 23, 2013

These are the two lenses :

1) Sigma 35mm f1.4 ART

2) Zeiss 100mm f2 ZF2

regards

Alberto

Alberto 1290's gear list:Alberto 1290's gear list
Canon EOS-1D X Nikon Df Sony RX1 Fujifilm FinePix S5 Pro Nikon 1 V1 +37 more
alegator
Regular MemberPosts: 202
Like?
In reply to Robin Casady, Apr 24, 2013

Robin Casady wrote:

The AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED is an excellent lens on the D800, and was used for several of the sample images Nikon presentedto promote the D800 and D800E.

Interesting link. I wonder why Nikon used the AF-S NIKKOR 50mm f/1.4G even though Nikon itself does not recommend that lens for ultimate sharpness with the D800E.

Chad Gladstone
Senior MemberPosts: 2,608Gear list
Like?
In reply to r0gue, Apr 24, 2013

Depends on your budget.  My two least used lenses are 24-70g and the 50 1.4g.  My most used are the 28g and 84 1.8g (70-200 a distant third when I need the reach).  I would be quite happy with the sigma 35 and 85 as alternatives as well.  It all depends on what you have to budget and what your photographic vision is.  I recently added a 24-85 VR for travel and documentation/video.  There aren't any statistical outliers mentioned in this thread, so pick you poison.  If you can't decide on two, just get the 24-120 f/4 VR and a decent flash and figure out what you want to shoot.  Every lens has compromises and inherent idiocyncracies.  You may end up getting them all, eventually.  Such is the nature of a photography gear forum...

-- hide signature --

Chad Gladstone

Chad Gladstone's gear list:Chad Gladstone's gear list
Nikon D800E Nikon 1 V1 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 28mm f/1.8G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.4G +7 more
RichyjV
Regular MemberPosts: 370
Like?

Well I would buy for the future, get lenses with high sharpness so you wont replace or outgrow them 1 year down the line. My 2 general use lenses for a D800, thinking about price-quality and getting the best out of that sensor would be Sigma 35mm f1.4 and nikon 70-200mm f4. I would go with this over a shorter zoom such as the 24-70, which doesnt quite have the optics of the f2.8/4 70-200 zooms, and certainly doesnt have the optics of the Sigma 35mm 1.4.

Personally I wouldn't go for a super zoom at all as the quality level is much lower than those I mentioned and I don't see why you need a D800 then. I've used one many times before with a 12mp camera and they work 'fine' (although slowly), but with the 36mp D800 I think its a bit of a waste.

Swiss L
New MemberPosts: 24
Like?
In reply to ki11ua, Apr 24, 2013

Same dilema....I went with the 50 1.4 and the 24-120 f4. Love the 50 1.4, but in hindsight would probably add the 105 Micro VR. More usefull, and an excellent portrait lens, if a little sharp. The 24-70 and the 12-24 zooms are just too heavy to lug around for me. Add a good triopod as the D800 is not forgiving...at all.

Astrophotographer 10
Senior MemberPosts: 4,679Gear list
Like?
Re: Read lens review sites
In reply to RichyjV, Apr 24, 2013

Learning which lenses are good and which aren't so good is difficult as there are so many more choices than simply Nikon or Canon full frame?

photozone.de is one of the best. Also Lens Rentals is a good source of info.

I have D800E and some mirrorless cameras.

24-70mm F2.8 is probably my most used lens. Its more than the sharpness etc, its the coatings, the lovely colours, the way it renders the scene. Its hard to best its flexibility.

I use my 14-24mm F2.8 a lot but thats for nightscapes and is a specific use. I tend not to use it otherwise. If were doing a wide landscape shot I do panoramas anyway so 14mm isn't totally needed for me.

85mm F1.8g is a good lens although it suffers from slighly excessive chromatic aberration, but yes its a handy lens for portraits and F1.8 is good indoors in low light.

So 24-70 and 85mm F1.8 is safe ground.

70-200mm F4 is getting great reviews and so is the Sigma 35mm F1.4. I am about to get both of those to round out my collection. Again, I think these are safe buys for almost anyone's use.

The 50mm F1.8g is good for video but I find its rendering a bit harsh looking to be used much.

There are also some good cheap old Nikon lenses.

105mm F2.5 AIS

28mm F2.8 AIS are two that stand out. I also use a cheap 55mm F2.8 Micro which is great for close up portraits like for babies.

But 90% of the time the 24-70 is the main lens I use and I like it a lot.It also oozes quality and whilst a bit heavy I just love the build. It adds to the experience and feels total quality.

Greg

Guidenet
Forum ProPosts: 12,880Gear list
Like?

r0gue wrote:

Anthony Nadia wrote:

Lens Sale

Personally, I think the D800 is a superb camera for a beginner or seasoned photographer. Don't start second guessing your decisions now.

The only thing I suggest is to stick to your guns and start out with only one or two lenses. Then take the time to really learn them and learn the camera. Master photography the best you can without tryig to build a kit overnight. Be passionate and join clubs. Take a course or two in photography. Buy some books like Bryan Peterson's Understanding Exposure.

The only think that bothers me about new people jumping in with the best cameras at the start is they may not take the time to really learn photography. When that happens, they find the fancy expensive gear isn't automatically creating great images. They second guess themselves and maybe their gear choice instead of understanding the problem is their understanding of photography, both the craft and the art. I note the gentleman who just poisted he wished he'd gotten Canon. I can only guess he would be having the same issues with Canon and then would be wishing he'd purchased Nikon. It's too bad, really.

So don't buy too much early on. Stick to the one or two lenses and master them first. Let any limitations later guide you in additional needs if they arise. For example, if you find you can't get close enough to birds in your backyard, you might need a telephoto. You might find you enjoy climbing into your subject to show space and depth. You might need a very wide lens, but you have to master what you have to be able to make those observations.

I'd start with whatever normal zoom you can get as part of a kit or bundled package with the camera. All the choices are excellent. The inexpensive 24-85 VR would make a great middle zoom. So would the expensive 24-70 f/2.8 or the 24-120 f/4. See what's a good buy and start there.

For a prime lens, I'd either consider the 28 f/1.8G or the excellent 85 f/1.4G. That 85 f/1.4G is sort of a magical lens for portraits. The 85 f/1.8G is a whole lot cheaper but lacks some of that magic glass the more expensive model has. Either would be fine to start with though. You really don't even need the prime to begin with. Like I mention. Learn and master that kit zoom, which ever you purchase.

If you take the time to really learn this stuff and you stay passionate about it, you'll make all the difference in the world. Stay happy and enjoy the path.

Take care and welcome to our world.

-- hide signature --

Cheers, Craig
Follow me on Twitter @craighardingsr : Equipment in Profile

Guidenet's gear list:Guidenet's gear list
Nikon D700 Nikon D300 Nikon D3S Nikon D800 Nikon AF DX Fisheye-Nikkor 10.5mm f/2.8G ED +24 more
r0gue
Junior MemberPosts: 38
Like?
In reply to Guidenet, Apr 24, 2013

Guidenet wrote:

I'd start with whatever normal zoom you can get as part of a kit or bundled package with the camera. All the choices are excellent. The inexpensive 24-85 VR would make a great middle zoom. So would the expensive 24-70 f/2.8 or the 24-120 f/4. See what's a good buy and start there.

For a prime lens, I'd either consider the 28 f/1.8G or the excellent 85 f/1.4G. That 85 f/1.4G is sort of a magical lens for portraits. The 85 f/1.8G is a whole lot cheaper but lacks some of that magic glass the more expensive model has.

Thanks so much to all of you!  So, I believe that I will likely start with two primes:

NIKKOR 50mm f/1.4G Pretty much everyone recommended this one.
NIKKOR 85mm F/1.8G or maybe the 1.4
.... I can buy these at any time because they are not on sale.

But there is a sale on the three telephoto lenses if I buy them with the D800 by Saturday. Here are my choices. Any of these worth having and worth taking advantage of this promotion? If so, Of these, Which would you pick?  -- or would you pass on these and stick with whats recommended above?

70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G AF VR IF-ED    
$200.00 Off    
Final Price:$386.95

28-300mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Zoom Lens
   $150.00
 Off  Final Price:$896.95

24-85mm f/3.5-4.5G AF-S ED VR Lens  

$100.00
 Off  Final Price:$496.95

Also Speedlights are on sale, but not deeply discounted.
SB-910 AF Speedlight $50 Off
,    SB-700 AF Speedlight $30 Off

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads