First Post - D800 soon, Please Advise: Which first two lenses?

Started Apr 21, 2013 | Discussions
r0gue
Junior MemberPosts: 38
Like?
First Post - D800 soon, Please Advise: Which first two lenses?
Apr 21, 2013

I'm new to DSLRs.  Some photography enthusiast friends gave me a lot of instruction and I found myself enticed to a full frame D800.  That was a loong contemplation and a LOAD of research and advice.  But that said, I find the lens decision a little more challenging.

(I think) I want a nice prime for faces, family, friends. Thinking of a 50 or 85.  Either in a 1.4 or 1.8.

And (I think) I want a nice ll around zoom lens.

I'd love to hear some advice from all of you.  I'll keep poking around to continue learning.  Thank for your help!

Nikon D800
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
M Lammerse
Forum ProPosts: 10,935
Like?
Re: First Post - D800 soon, Please Advise: Which first two lenses?
In reply to r0gue, Apr 21, 2013

r0gue wrote:

I'm new to DSLRs.  Some photography enthusiast friends gave me a lot of instruction and I found myself enticed to a full frame D800.  That was a loong contemplation and a LOAD of research and advice.  But that said, I find the lens decision a little more challenging.

(I think) I want a nice prime for faces, family, friends. Thinking of a 50 or 85.  Either in a 1.4 or 1.8.

I'd love to hear some advice from all of you.  I'll keep poking around to continue learning.  Thank for your help!

First of all, if you're new to DLSR photography, why a D800, why not a D600 or a D7100?
If you want to get the most out of the camera, you need good lenses. the 24-120mm is a good starter for a zoom lens, and the 85mm F/1.8G is an excellent starter as a prime lens.

You will probable get many advices, saying buy this or that but I first would wait a bit with making huge investments if this is your first DSLR. Who knows you will change your mind about using DSLR camera's after some time.
Michel

-- hide signature --

- To observe without evaluation is the highest form of human intelligence -
http://www.fotopropaganda.com
http://www.fotopropaganda.com/blog
http://www.flickr.com/photos/9240992@N05

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Mssimo
Contributing MemberPosts: 895Gear list
Like?

Your first lens should be the 50mm f1.8 or f1.4 (...if you have the extra cash)

To get the most out of the D800, best thing you could do is get the three 1.8's

28mm f1.8

50mm f1.8  (or the 1.4G)

85mm f1.8

I don't like zooms but nikon makes a few great ones (large and lots of $$)

I would stay away from 5X + zooms like the 24-120mm. They used to be ok on older 12MP cameras but you will notice the flaws on something like the D800.

3x zooms like the 14-24 24-70 and 70-200 are great...almost as good as primes but slower (f2.8)

-- hide signature --
 Mssimo's gear list:Mssimo's gear list
Nikon D800E Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.4G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II Nikon AF-S Nikkor 300mm f/2.8G ED VR II Sigma 8mm F3.5 EX DG Circular Fisheye +3 more
Robin Casady
Forum ProPosts: 12,089
Like?

r0gue wrote:

For faces you want 85mm or a little longer. Look at the reviews for the Nikon f/1.4G and 1.8G to see which you like best for bokeh.

If you are willing to give up auto-focus, the Rokinon (Samyang) 85mm f/1.4 lens with Nikon chip is quite good.

The AF-S Micro-Nikkor 105mm f/2.8 VR is an excellent portrait lens with the added advantage of being good for macro shooting.

The AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED is an excellent lens on the D800, and was used for several of the sample images Nikon presented to promote the D800 and D800E.

-- hide signature --

Robin Casady
http://www.robincasady.com/Photo/index.html
"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts."
— Bertrand Russell

Dnikon300s
Regular MemberPosts: 166Gear list
Like?
In reply to r0gue, Apr 22, 2013

85 1.8 D and 80-200 AF-D 2 ring are 2 you might want to think about....

Dnikon300s's gear list:Dnikon300s's gear list
Nikon D90 Nikon D300S Nikon 1 V1 Nikon D7100 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G +8 more
r0gue
Like?
In reply to M Lammerse, Apr 22, 2013

M Lammerse wrote:

r0gue wrote:

First of all, if you're new to DLSR photography, why a D800, why not a D600 or a D7100?

Well, it came down to more of a why not a D800 decision for me.  It's a great camera from all I can gather.  And I am biased to full frame.

r0gue
Like?
In reply to Dnikon300s, Apr 22, 2013

Dnikon300s wrote:

Trying to understamd an aspect of the models.  I've noted the D and in some cases G.  And there was a review that seemed to indicate that the 85 1.8G had superior performance to the D.  Is that just a generation thing, or is that a seperate model available at the same time?

Thanks!

r0gue
Like?
In reply to Mssimo, Apr 22, 2013

Mssimo wrote:

28mm f1.8

50mm f1.8  (or the 1.4G)

85mm f1.8

I would stay away from 5X + zooms like the 24-120mm. They used to be ok on older 12MP cameras but you will notice the flaws on something like the D800.

3x zooms like the 14-24 24-70 and 70-200 are great...almost as good as primes but slower (f2.8)

-- hide signature --

Please help me understand why the 1.4 for the 50 but not the others?  Is it just that at that point in the lineup, the increase in performance is worth the comparatively smaller increase in cost (compared to the 1.4 in the 85 for instance)?

Would an 85 in a 1.4G model perform well enough to eliminate the need for the 50?  My understanding of the 50 is for shots 3 to 5 feet from the subject.  Great clarity and narrow DoF.  My understanding of the 85 is for shots perhaps 10 or 15 feet from the subject.  Great clarity and still narrow DoF.

And please, what would the 28 be good for?  This is the fist that model has been recommended for me.

Thank you much!

luxor2
Contributing MemberPosts: 587
Like?

r0gue wrote:

If you want to continue learning before the D800 purchase, first buy a entry level DSLR with kit lens,

It will be worth every cent to advance your photographic equipment knowledge and experience.

You could buy a D3100 kit with lens and sell it afterwards, for only a few hundred dollars less, or like many users of pro level gear, keep it as a convenient vacation camera of much lighter weight.

For the types of photos you suggest, a super high resolution camera is hardly necessary anyhow!!

RickD
Contributing MemberPosts: 837Gear list
Like?

Sounds like you put in a  lot of thought.  The D800 is a really great camera (and no harder to use then the 600 or 7100).  This is how I built my kit, and it worked for me.

Start with a fast mid range zoom.  24-70 if you can afford it, consider Sigma equivalent if the Nikon is too expensive.

Get a good flash that can be directed to bounce (e.g. SB 700) and a modifier (I really like the Joe Demb products).  Read Strobist and learn how to use them. This will set you up pretty well for some great family pictures.

Add lenses as your interest and skill level develops.

Good luck.

-- hide signature --

RickD

RickD's gear list:RickD's gear list
Nikon D4 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II
PHXAZCRAIG
Forum ProPosts: 11,083Gear list
Like?

Portrait prime - 85F1.8g or 85F1.4g.    The 85F1.8g is 95% of the 1.4 for 1/3rd the price.

All-around zoom lens - 24-70f2.8 is the best there, but the 24-120 sounds like it's decent and the extra range is welcome.

-- hide signature --

Craig
www.cjcphoto.net

PHXAZCRAIG's gear list:PHXAZCRAIG's gear list
Nikon D80 Nikon D200 Nikon D300 Nikon D700 Nikon 1 V1 +32 more
Mark K
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,549Gear list
Like?

r0gue wrote:

D600 will be a better starter.

As for lens, I will say zoom first followed by primes.

Both 50 and 85 are very useful

I recommend a 50/1.4D and a 85/1.8G. You can pay for your 50/1.4D from the money you saved.

-- hide signature --

Mark K

Mark K's gear list:Mark K's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX100 III Nikon D800 Canon EOS 5D Mark III NEX5R Sony Alpha NEX-6 +59 more
Mark K
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,549Gear list
Like?

r0gue wrote:

Mssimo wrote:

28mm f1.8

50mm f1.8  (or the 1.4G)

85mm f1.8

-- hide signature --

Please help me understand why the 1.4 for the 50 but not the others?  Is it just that at that point in the lineup, the increase in performance is worth the comparatively smaller increase in cost (compared to the 1.4 in the 85 for instance)?

Would an 85 in a 1.4G model perform well enough to eliminate the need for the 50?  My understanding of the 50 is for shots 3 to 5 feet from the subject.  Great clarity and narrow DoF.  My understanding of the 85 is for shots perhaps 10 or 15 feet from the subject.  Great clarity and still narrow DoF.

And please, what would the 28 be good for?  This is the fist that model has been recommended for me.

Thank you much!

No. So that is why two lenses are important. I am carrying both 50/1.4 and 85/1.4D with my D800 but I am getting a 85/1.4G soon. I do not like my 85/1.8D because of bokeh issue.

Anyway, another way is to buy a 85 and a 35 prime.

-- hide signature --

Mark K

Mark K's gear list:Mark K's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX100 III Nikon D800 Canon EOS 5D Mark III NEX5R Sony Alpha NEX-6 +59 more
stany buyle
Senior MemberPosts: 1,957Gear list
Like?

r0gue wrote:

The outstanding 28mm F1.8 would be a better choice than the 50mm.
Excellent combo with the 85mm F1.8.
If you want the 50mm, the 50mm F1.8 AF-S is better(sharper) than the 50mm F1.4 AF-S.

Several choices... Even the prehistoric 28-105 does very well on D800.

-- hide signature --

Kindest regards.
Stany Buyle
http://www.nikonuser.info/fotoforum
I like better one good picture in a day than 10 bad ones in a second..

stany buyle's gear list:stany buyle's gear list
Nikon D1
Mssimo
Like?

r0gue wrote:

Mssimo wrote:

28mm f1.8

50mm f1.8  (or the 1.4G)

85mm f1.8

-- hide signature --

Thank you much!

Hello,

Only reason was price. 50mm f1.4G is still very reasonable. Since you are getting started, cover the whole range then upgrade if needed. My shopping list would include the 28mm f1.8, 50mm 1.8G, and 85mm f1.8.

The 1.8s are as good as the 1.4's (but only a bit slower)

The 28mm is good for landscapes and indoors. You can get great group pictures with it. It also gives you a great perspective if you get in close. It will make a dog's nose look huge compared to its body.

50mm is the normal lens..its very natural since our eyes have about the same field of view. This is also knows as one of the most flexible prime lenses.

The 85mm will give you great portraits but some people like it for landscape panos. This lens might not do too well in tight places.

I would not buy the 85mm f1.4G or the 24mm f1.4G...but I would upgrade to them in the future when you see the need. What you will notice is how large these lenses are compared to the f1.8's.

Sorry I was all over the place in my reply...let us know if you have more questions.

-- hide signature --
Nikon D800E Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.4G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II Nikon AF-S Nikkor 300mm f/2.8G ED VR II Sigma 8mm F3.5 EX DG Circular Fisheye +3 more
Mssimo
Like?
In reply to Mark K, Apr 22, 2013

Did you try the new 85mm f1.8G.

-- hide signature --
Mssimo
Like?

r0gue wrote:

Dnikon300s wrote:

Trying to understamd an aspect of the models.  I've noted the D and in some cases G.  And there was a review that seemed to indicate that the 85 1.8G had superior performance to the D.  Is that just a generation thing, or is that a seperate model available at the same time?

Thanks!

The g's are newer modern lenses. Most of them have nano coating and perform at a higher level. The D's can be had at a great price but auto focus only works with a few camera models including the D800. So for budget reasons, you can go both ways.

-- hide signature --
joejack951
Senior MemberPosts: 2,456Gear list
Like?

r0gue wrote:

Budget? Tons of options here all over the map price-wise. From your basic description, I see no reason to stick with 50 or 85, other than a restricted budget. If you want something with some extra "wow", there are better options.

Budget? By "all around" do you mean wide to super-telephoto (28-300), ultra-wide to telephoto (24-120) or ultra-wide to slight telephoto (24-70 or 24-85) or none of the above? Note that if you don't like the prices for the Nikkors with those ranges, there are some third party options. As far as I know, Nikon has the only 24-120 (f/4 or otherwise) on the market, though.

joejack951's gear list:joejack951's gear list
Nikon Coolpix AW100 Nikon Coolpix P7700 Nikon D300S Nikon D3S Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 17-55mm f/2.8G ED-IF +5 more
Anthony Nadia
New MemberPosts: 9
Like?
Perturbed by the Rudeness and Hostility on these Forums

Like you, I am new to the DPReview forums and am rather dismayed at some of the responses received to simple questions like yours.  On this past weekend, while perusing the various forums, I've read responses which are downright hostile, rude, condescending, irreverent, sarcastic, and often irrelevant.  People reaching out with honest questions are sometimes ridiculed, criticized and berated.  Who does that???  These haters seem to be bitter, angry, unhappy, or more likely, insecure with themselves.

Descending from my soapbox.  Oh, btw, I'm not about to question why you as a beginner are considering a D800.  As a matter of fact, I applaud you for having the good instincts to buy something superb, sophisticated and flexible that you won't grow out of in a year.  Funny how your decision was questioned even though you stated you did your due diligence with research and advice from friends.  Hey, I'm a technological idiot, yet I ran out and picked up a D4 without researching.  (Oh, heaven forbid I say D4, because I'll be accused by another member of bragging, like a douche-bag did on another thread).  Sorry, slow descent from the soapbox.

Finally to answer your question:  Buy quality glass if you can.  A nice all around zoom that you will want to keep for a long time, the 24-70mm 2.8.  And a nice prime for faces, family, & friends, I would go with the 85mm 1.4G.  I hope I didn't disappoint some people by neglecting to berate this poor chap for not starting with a point and shoot, or suggesting he buy a circular fisheye and   a 500mm telephoto instead of what he is asking about.  Fully alit from the soapbox.

Dodi73
Senior MemberPosts: 1,436Gear list
Like?

Two lenses without breaking a bank?

Sigma 35 f/1.4 and Nikon 85 f/1.8 OR Tamron 90 f/2.8 VC USD (which is macro AND stabilized)

Add the 50 if you like, it will be transparent for you

-- hide signature --

All the best from northern Italy, Dino.
I'm on the NIK side of photography.

Dodi73's gear list:Dodi73's gear list
Nikon D600 Carl Zeiss Distagon T* 3,5/18 Carl Zeiss Distagon T* 2/35 Carl Zeiss Makro-Planar T* 2/50 Carl Zeiss Makro-Planar T* 2/100 +5 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads