Fuji X-E1 vs OMD-EM5

Started Apr 21, 2013 | Discussions
panolympus
Regular MemberPosts: 169Gear list
Like?
Fuji X-E1 vs OMD-EM5
Apr 21, 2013

Has anyone got experience with both cameras? I'd like an unbiased opinion as to how these cameras compare. I read about auto focus issues, but have they been improved? Having a larger sensor the Fuji must have better DOF, but is the IQ improvement very noticeable over the OMD, or would you wait for the X-E2, whenever that will be (??)

Fujifilm X-E1
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Alumna Gorp
Senior MemberPosts: 1,531Gear list
Like?
Re: Fuji X-E1 vs OMD-EM5
In reply to panolympus, Apr 22, 2013

panolympus wrote:

Has anyone got experience with both cameras? I'd like an unbiased opinion as to how these cameras compare. I read about auto focus issues, but have they been improved? Having a larger sensor the Fuji must have better DOF, but is the IQ improvement very noticeable over the OMD, or would you wait for the X-E2, whenever that will be (??)

Cost, Fuji is almost half the price compared to the OMD body only.

System, for Fuji its very small, OMD wins here.

DOF, OMD will give you a better dof, Fuji, shallower, all depends on what is best for you.

IQ, not a lot in it.

You could be waiting a very long time for the Fuji to catch up as a system, why wait.

Alumna Gorp's gear list:Alumna Gorp's gear list
Fujifilm X10 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G2 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF2 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH +4 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
George Paulides
Contributing MemberPosts: 900
Like?
In reply to Alumna Gorp, Apr 22, 2013

Alumna Gorp wrote:

panolympus wrote:

Depends which country you are talking about. They are pretty much about the same street price with the kit zoom but the Fuji kit IMO is better (the zoom is very,very good).

DOF, OMD will give you a better dof, Fuji, shallower, all depends on what is best for you.

I tend to prefer to isolate a subject and the larger sensor on the Fuji will give you better control of this aspect.

IQ, not a lot in it.

Fuji has a larger sensor and IMO better SOOC colours - this is subjective of course.

You could be waiting a very long time for the Fuji to catch up as a system, why wait.

Not everyone needs an entire "system" as you say from the get go. Most build their lens collection over time. As long as you have the focal lengths that you prefer from the start then you should be fine.

I found the OM-D too small in the hands. Buttons and controls are more cumbersome to manage. I would suggest you handle both and see which is more comfortable for your shooting style.

panolympus
Like?

Alumna Gorp wrote:

panolympus wrote:

IQ, not a lot in it.

You sure you know which camera the X-E1 is? It's the same price as OMD for the body.

Also, I was looking for an unbiased opinion.

alatchin
Contributing MemberPosts: 759Gear list
Like?

panolympus wrote:

Alumna Gorp wrote:

panolympus wrote:

IQ, not a lot in it.

You sure you know which camera the X-E1 is? It's the same price as OMD for the body.

I have knocked around with the fuji in my local store a few times (know the sales guy well).

From what I have seen the Fuji is very nice, and the only major concerns I would have are the RAW support (still doesnt seem to be perfect), a somewhat limited lens line-up, and some AF Issues as the light level gets lower, video is iffy... oh and finally lenses are a little bigger.

However in its advantage, some of the film emulation modes are very nice, it has good noise performance and some very nice lenses already.

For the OMD, which is my go-to camera, it has great IBIS both for still and especially for video, it is small (and weathersealed) and can scale up with the grip, great AF, and a full set of lenses (almost anything you could want). One other advantage is that m43rds has many companies producing lenses which is great!

I would say, if both companies offer the lenses you want, go with your heart, like almost any tool I have used I have to enjoy owning and using it, it just makes my work more enjoyable.

Abraham

-- hide signature --

“You don’t take a photograph, you make it.” -Ansel Adams
blog.alatchinphotography(dot)com

alatchin's gear list:alatchin's gear list
Olympus E-3 Olympus PEN E-P2 Olympus PEN E-PL2 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus PEN E-PL5 +20 more
Alumna Gorp
Senior MemberPosts: 1,531Gear list
Like?

panolympus wrote:

Alumna Gorp wrote:

panolympus wrote:

IQ, not a lot in it.

Here in the UK I see it selling for £600 or less, as soon as you add the kit lens its almost the same price as the omd.

It was an unbiassed opinion I like and use Fuji.

Alumna Gorp's gear list:Alumna Gorp's gear list
Fujifilm X10 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G2 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF2 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH +4 more
MAubrey
Senior MemberPosts: 1,481Gear list
Like?
In reply to George Paulides, Apr 22, 2013

George Paulides wrote:

Alumna Gorp wrote:

I tend to prefer to isolate a subject and the larger sensor on the Fuji will give you better control of this aspect.

Ha. Barely. The Fuji compared to the E-M5 is a 1.33x crop, smaller than even the crop of APS-C to FF at the same AOV and aperture (e.g. 25mm and 35mm f/1.4). Put the Voigtlander 25mm f/.95 on there and the E-M5 is narrower.

The 60mm f/2.4 is exactly identical in DOF to the Olympus 45mm f/1.8 and Fuji has nothing to compare to the 75mm f/1.8. And when the Fuji 56mm f/1.2 appears, μ43 will have both a 42.5mm f/1.2 (slightly larger DOF) and f/.95. (identical DOF).

If you want narrow DOF, you need FF or larger. APS-C does very little compared to μ43.

-- hide signature --

Mike

MAubrey's gear list:MAubrey's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Sony Alpha 7 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 Voigtlander 58mm F1.4 Nokton SL II Voigtlander 35mm F1.2 Nokton +7 more
panolympus
Like?

Alumna Gorp wrote:

panolympus wrote:

Alumna Gorp wrote:

panolympus wrote:

IQ, not a lot in it.

Here in the UK I see it selling for £600 or less, as soon as you add the kit lens its almost the same price as the omd.

It was an unbiassed opinion I like and use Fuji.

My apologies, I didn't know they were cheaper in the UK. Thanks for your input, very helpful!

George Paulides
Contributing MemberPosts: 900
Like?
In reply to MAubrey, Apr 22, 2013

MAubrey wrote:

George Paulides wrote:

Alumna Gorp wrote:

Ha. Barely. The Fuji compared to the E-M5 is a 1.33x crop, smaller than even the crop of APS-C to FF at the same AOV and aperture (e.g. 25mm and 35mm f/1.4). Put the Voigtlander 25mm f/.95 on there and the E-M5 is narrower.

The 60mm f/2.4 is exactly identical in DOF to the Olympus 45mm f/1.8 and Fuji has nothing to compare to the 75mm f/1.8. And when the Fuji 56mm f/1.2 appears, μ43 will have both a 42.5mm f/1.2 (slightly larger DOF) and f/.95. (identical DOF).

If you want narrow DOF, you need FF or larger. APS-C does very little compared to μ43.

-- hide signature --

Mike

I did say better, I did not say it was to the same extent as FF.

highwave
Senior MemberPosts: 1,041Gear list
Like?

I haven't tried the X-E1 myself but I thought I might chip in for whatever it might be worth to you.

I just wanted to say, the IBIS of the OM-D cannot be praised enough. I mainly shoot with the 20mm f1.7 which is considered a wide angle prime with no IS. And at some time recently I had the IBIS shut off somehow without noticing it. I was just shocked at how badly my photos deteriorated in sharpness or even downright blurriness due to it being set off. Even on a wide angle prime it makes a huge difference that will not be plugged by any ISO advantage.

Just for your consideration.

Good luck.

highwave's gear list:highwave's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 45-150mm F4-5.6 ASPH Mega OIS +3 more
TheOneRichard
New MemberPosts: 21Gear list
Like?

I'd like to hear people's comparison experiences too, I'm considering adding an XE1 + 18-55 to my bag. It's that or a Panasonic 12-35. Fuji zoom kit is only a little higher than Panasonic lens alone.

I'll never give up my OMD and lenses, but I'm curious about the Fuji. Lot's of good reports, but the tenor of reports on Fuji seems different- almost like it attracts a different style of user.

So, anyone who uses both want to expound on the differences? Do you use them side by side or for different projects? How do the images compare after post-processing? What do you like or dislike about the Fuji handling compared to OMD?

TheOneRichard's gear list:TheOneRichard's gear list
Fujifilm X-Pro1 Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm X-T1 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 60mm F2.4 R Macro +5 more
Acrill
Senior MemberPosts: 1,297Gear list
Like?
In reply to George Paulides, Apr 22, 2013

George Paulides wrote:

I would suggest you handle both and see which is more comfortable for your shooting style.

This is good advice.

The E-M5 handles fine for me, but may not for you.

One thing I find frustrating about the XE-1 is that to move the focus point you must hit the AF button with your left hand and then move the focus point with your right. On the E-M5 I move the focus point around constantly with nothing but my thumb and the four way buttons.

This may not matter if you use another method such as AEF lock or focus and recompose.

Shooting styles differ, you should handle each camera.

Acrill's gear list:Acrill's gear list
Fujifilm X-T1 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XC 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 OIS
jwongaz
Regular MemberPosts: 221
Like?

panolympus wrote:

I believe my opinion is unbiased, because I returned them both.  Here's my simple take...

Fuji:  Absolutely LOVE the controls and feel in the hand. The kit lens is better and faster than the kit lenses on the Oly. The focus is significantly slower even with the firmware updates. Felt sluggish overall. The kit lens is pretty big compared to a m43 lens. In the end, the picture quality did not wow me compared to the OMD, but it wasn't really fair comparison because I had some nice primes on the OMD. The Fuji primes should be great too, but they are even more expensive.

OMD:  Love the speed, love the image quality. Disliked the stabilizer noise (it was constantly audible to me on my copy) and hated the way it felt in my hand. The placement of the strap lugs is ridiculous. The touch screen was great compared to the non-tilting non-touch screen of the X-E1. Stabilization is awesome, particularly with primes which the Fuji doesn't have.

Out of the two, I would have kept the OMD. But I decided to wait for the X-E2 or EM6 or whatever, and bought a cheap G5 ($360 Amazon deal) to use in the meantime.

ttan98
Contributing MemberPosts: 987
Like?
Re: G5-->
In reply to jwongaz, Apr 22, 2013

Out of the two, I would have kept the OMD. But I decided to wait for the X-E2 or EM6 or whatever, and bought a cheap G5 ($360 Amazon deal) to use in the meantime.

Good decision..It is a very good camera, I don't think it will disappoint you at the same time saves you lots of money.

photo perzon
Senior MemberPosts: 3,611Gear list
Like?
Today's beaus: Fuji X-E1, OMD-EM5, Nikon A, Ricoh GR, Fuji X100S, Nikon D7100

panolympus wrote:

Those are hot

Predictions:

PL5 with built in flash and EVF would be super

EM6 with built in flash

X-E2 with X100S AF speed oh boy

Nikon A for $ 799 soon

Ricoh GR super hot

Fuji X100S the classic.  X100 at $ 700!

D7100 ...I'd like a Pentax K30 with the large OVF with a normal looking body as a DSLR

photo perzon's gear list:photo perzon's gear list
Canon PowerShot S120 RX100 III Ricoh GXR A16 24-85mm F3.5-5.5 Olympus PEN E-PL5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1
Dr_Jon
Senior MemberPosts: 1,368Gear list
Like?

I looked pretty hard at both of these before getting a GH3 (long and not-relevant-here story omitted).

The X-E1 is a wonderful thing to hold and great fun to shoot with (especially with the zoom). The EVF isn't great if you move the camera around much. The auto-focus is okay but not great. Image quality is excellent, especially at high ISO. The kit zoom is also excellent. A longer lens is finally arriving (which was a big hole in the system until recently). The sensor has 1.64x the area of the m43 one (linear dimensions aren't as sensible a way to compare them IMHO as pixels are 2D not 1D). The video mode is more okay than great. Cheap in comparison to the E-M5 and GH3 (the kit lens is more comparable to the Panasonic 12-35 rather than the E-M5 kit lens).

The E-M5 is less good ergonomically (this is my opinion remember) and not as great an experience to use. The Auto-Focus is a lot faster and it has a really nice EVF (better than the GH3's one too). Image quality is good although there is more noise at high ISO than I expected (it does get smeared away by the noise reduction, although I'm not a fan of that). Have a look at the images here for a feel http://kachadurian.com/2013/03/21/photography-101-lesson-2-iso/ however unless you crop to zoom or print big I wouldn't worry about it all that much. Lenses are more-or-less smaller than the X-E1. Some people love the IBIS enormously, although the X-E1 zoom is stabilised so it's more an issue if you shoot static-ish subjects with primes. Better for video (although the GH3 is a lot better again). There are still no high quality long m43 lenses, the 35-100 is the longest really great lens (and boy is it that).

So it depends on what you want to do. I already had m43 lenses and the lack of available long x-series lenses, lens size and the less good AF kept me on m43. There's no perfect camera I'm afraid...

Oh, and there are a lot of reviews and sample shots for both cameras available now, so easy to get an assortment of views.

Dr_Jon's gear list:Dr_Jon's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix Real 3D W3 Sony RX100 Canon EOS 5D Mark II Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH3 +24 more
Krich13
Regular MemberPosts: 381
Like?

I guess I’m an unbiased party. I have both Olympus OM-D (with a lot of lenses) and Fuji X-E1 with 18-55 zoom. Well, and a full frame Canon 5DII with a nice line up of lenses as well, so no bias here for larger sensor either. The only advantage Olympus has with me is the fact that I own it longer and know menus and settings way better, so using Fuji is infuriating at times (as no doubt would be using the OM-D had I bought Fuji first).

I shoot pretty much exclusively JPEG these days, I was preferring RAW in the past and will return to it in the future,  but at this phase I just have no time for it (with one exception, see below).  My models are my 3- and 5- year old sons (hence no time for anything) so I evaluate the out of camera jpegs with heavy bias toward people photography (large part of it indoors with horrible light). Your uses and preferences may vary.

Ergonomics: both cameras are retro design (form over function) which I hate (hate OM-D more). In the old days there was no way around placing an optical pentaprism viewfinder directly over the lens. In the old days cameras had to accommodate a film roll on the left side of the lens creating kind of a “shoulder”.  For small cameras this necessity left no room for the right hand grip.

Not anymore.  The lens can be shifted closer to the edge of the camera making room for a decent grip. The viewfinder can be placed at the left top corner (if you use the right eye (as I do) for composition your cheek and nose does not hit buttons or LCD). Look what Sony did with its NEX series! Chunky grip could house more controls… But noooo!  Oly made this idiotic hump in the middle, placed the viewfinder in the middle, shaved away the hand grip and removed the built-in flash. Bravo! It had a good design with Olympus E-PL1 (with a built-in flash that could even tilt up and a semi-decent grip) and worked really hard on spoiling it. I bought a third-party grip for the Oly, handling improved greatly but the camera became even taller. And this hump… Well, you’ve got an idea.

Fuji is much better in this respect: despite much larger sensor the camera body is actually smaller. No humps, viewfinder at the left top corner (looking from the back), built-in flash that can tilt up (combined with terrific high-ISO performance it can actually be used for bounced illumination) and better (though still not good) hand grip. I would prefer the lens closer to the edge and better grip combination.

On the other hand, Oly has wins with a (very useful) tilting LCD, the LCD has touch-screen (conveniently implemented too), Oly’s LCD is of better resolution and both Oly’s LCD and viewfinder are more responsive than the  Fuji’s (no lag or jitter).

In use:  Olympus’ focusing speed is miles better. Also, AF works much more sure, and confirms focus every time where Fuji gives up and returns “AF!” error. Manual focus assist is also much better implemented on the Oly : touch the focus ring and get magnified view. Unless I missed some setting on Fuji, it is far less user friendly. You must switch to MF and back when you are done. However, I have a feeling that AF accuracy is actually better with Fuji. Olympus’ image stabilizer is just terrific, better potential  using third party lenses (I personally am using Sigma 400 mm f/5.6 APO Macro and love it). Video is much better with Olympus, but I’m not shooting much video anyway.

Lens line-up. Well, this one is tricky. Of course, m43 has many more lenses covering every possible scenario (except fast telephoto, and reasonably priced semi-fast zooms).  Fuji has much fewer lenses, but they are of great quality and often effectively faster than Olympus analogs.

Say Fuji 35/1.4 is equivalently a stop faster than Panaleica 25/1.4;

Fuji 55-200 is 1 1/3 stops faster than Oly 40-150 at the long end;

Fuji 60/2.4 is equivalently as fast as Oly 45/1.8 and doubles as a macro lens.

Upcoming Fuji 10-24 f/4 should offer similar AOV to Panasonic 7-14 f/4 while being equvalently a stop faster.

Fuji 18-55 f/2.8-4 would be equivalent to 13.5-41 f/2.1-3 in the m43 world, significantly faster ovet most of the range than Panasonic 12-35 f/2.8.

The latter comparison is the reason I bought Fuji in the first place. The price (on ebay) of this Fuji kit dropped at some point to $999 with free 2-day FedEX delivery, and I jumped at this opportunity. This fantastic zoom with free great camera ended up cheaper than slower Panasonic zoom alone…

Only you can decide whether Fuji’s advantages in speed and (likely) image quality are worth extra bulk and cost (in case of 40-150) and slower autofocus. For me, they aren’t. Not at this point anyway. I’m keeping the Olympus setup with Fuji only replacing my “normal zoom”. Say my outdoor kit consists of OM-D, Pana 7-14, Oly 40-150, Oly 60 macro and Fuji w/18-55. Or alternatively, of Canon 5DII, Canon 17-40 f/4, Canon 70-200 f/4 IS and Kenko x1.4 TC.

Finally, image quality. Both cameras inflate their ISO values, it seems by similar amount (may be Fuji does it a little more). Still, Fuji easily holds at least a full stop advantage over Oly. Moreover, it is amazing at resolving fine low-contrast details such as grayish fur or 5-years old’s skin texture and skin hair (blond!) that Olympus just does not pick up under the same conditions. That’s with a “kit” zoom lens vs Olympus’ best primes (including 75/1.8 stopped down to f/4).  May be one could pull these details out of RAW, but I have no time for this. Fuji also has better skin tones and better white balance under artificial light. Olympus on the other hand delivers much punchier colors (without looking unnatural) outdoors.

Bottom line: Olympus OM-D is (at this time) a better camera SYSTEM if you have only one. Faster autofocus and operation, tilting LCD, much better video, cheaper and lighter zoom lenses, better lens choice.

Fuji holds an edge in absolute image quality.

My choice – both.

panolympus
Like?
In reply to Krich13, Apr 23, 2013

Thanks for the detailed responses Krich13 and DR_Jon, you've left me with a lot to thing about. Meanwhile, my OMD sits in the online "used" section of my local classifieds, waiting to see if someone would like to adopt.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads