TV as a monitor?

Started Apr 21, 2013 | Discussions
Michael Firstlight
Senior MemberPosts: 2,898Gear list
Like?
Re: TV as a monitor?
In reply to Tareq Abdulla, Apr 28, 2013

1080p HD TVs don't match the sharpness and color of computer monitors, but, at several feet distance you really can't tell much difference.  Maybe its like billboards - up close the images suck, but farther away they look perfect. Viewing distance matters.

That said, I presently use a 24" computer display for my everyday editing that requires precision color and sharpness.  I am planning to move up to a Dell U3014 as soon as they fix the manufacturing bug in the first batch; I cancelled my first order last week as soon as I found out.

In my portrait studio I have another workstation hooked up to a 20" monitor attached to the e wall with a keyboard and mouse on a shelf below it.  My D800 sends images wirelessly to that system (a home grown 480 Mbps USB 2 transmitter transmitter/receiver pair).  I have a video card i that machinethat has an HDMI port and does 1080p. A HMDI cable runs around the room to an 80" Sharp LED TV and I get to see each shot life size as I am shooting and use it as a preview/review monitor afterwards (I am using Control My Nikon with it and can also do Live View wirelessly on the 80"). Because I am several feet away when viewing it - anywhere from 6-18 feet on average, the images looks brilliant and it really looks no different than my 20" or 24" monitor when using the mouse with Windows.

Again, I'd not use a TV as a desktop monitor, but if you've got a little viewing distance it works might fine.

Regards,
Mike

Michael Firstlight's gear list:Michael Firstlight's gear list
Nikon D800 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 105mm f/2.8G IF-ED VR Sigma 10-20mm F3.5 EX DC HSM +12 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
unknown member
(unknown member)
Like?
In reply to Tareq Abdulla, Apr 29, 2013

You haven't mentioned what your application is.

If you want to use your computer as a media centre or for presentation, nothing is wrong with using a good quality TV or projector as the 'monitor'.

For probably all other uses, a monitor is better.

I have a JVC RS40 which is a top quality projector and the image it projects is amazing and the color are relatively accurate (comparing to other projectors and tv's). It is great for watching blu-ray or HD movies but I wouldn't use it for viewing pictures: the lack of resolution is obvious and colors are far from accurate comparing to a good monitor.

I just recently had a Dell U2713h for about a week and it had the best image quality I have ever seen in a monitor, tv or projector. Its image is just in a different class.

So a large size high resolution monitor with true 8bit IPS panel would be my choice.

gs85739az
Contributing MemberPosts: 594
Like?
In reply to Tareq Abdulla, Apr 29, 2013

While older big screen tv's didn't have the resolution most computer monitors have, the NEW 4K TV's should be more than good enough for most computer use, even photography.  Some are "on sale" and considering their larger than "computer monitor" sizes, you should be able to find one that will suffice.

Sean Nelson
Veteran MemberPosts: 9,439
Like?
In reply to gs85739az, Apr 30, 2013

gs85739az wrote:

While older big screen tv's didn't have the resolution most computer monitors have, the NEW 4K TV's should be more than good enough for most computer use, even photography.  Some are "on sale" and considering their larger than "computer monitor" sizes, you should be able to find one that will suffice.

Huh?   Precious few 4K TVs are available and I certainly haven't seen one that's on sale (i.e., available for a lower price than normal).   You realize that "4K" means a television with 3840 x 2160 resolution, right?   Can you point us to where you've seen these available "on sale"...?

gs85739az
Contributing MemberPosts: 594
Like?
In reply to Sean Nelson, Apr 30, 2013

Still trying to figure out where I heard that, it was probably Twit.com, one of their shows, either TNT or the hardware show with Patrick Norton,etc.. will try to glean it out, but as I faintly remember, the price of a 4K TV was somewhere around $1500!  It was some chinese off brand for sure, but one of the techies had one and said it worked just fine..

$1500 4K HD TV>

50" TV,etc...

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=7674736

Just found it:  http://twit.tv/show/this-week-in-computer-hardware/214

Tareq Abdulla
Regular MemberPosts: 259Gear list
Like?
In reply to Tareq Abdulla, Apr 30, 2013

I just use my new computer on my TV, Samsung LED 55" Full HD, it is great, i can't say it is amazing perfect if i didn't use a PC monitor, but until i can get one decent then i keep using this TV.

I will test my Eizo ColorEdge 22" with this new PC, just i don't have space for my Eizo monitor, apple 30" connected to Mac Mini with Epson scanner and Epson printer and another Color Laserjet printer[Before it was huge HP but replace with Samsung now] taking all the spaces of my office desktop.

Tareq Abdulla's gear list:Tareq Abdulla's gear list
Canon EOS-1D Mark II N Canon EOS-1D Mark III Canon EOS-1Ds Mark II Canon EOS-1Ds Mark III Canon EOS 5D +18 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads