Several unhappy x100s owners posting, but look at this and tell me...

Started Apr 21, 2013 | Discussions
cptrios
Senior MemberPosts: 1,347
Like?
Re: Several unhappy x100s owners posting, but look at this and tell me...
In reply to mcshan, Apr 23, 2013

This just in: both the X100 and X100S are really good cameras! Word on the street also has it that people might tend to get defensive regarding the particular camera that they themselves own! More on this as it develops!

Also, to the OP and anyone else: I'm not going to pass judgement on your photos  (though I will say that I dig the un-PP'd version of the "sand throwing" shot), but it is never ever ever a good idea to post a thread with a title like "Let's see [insert camera/camera type here] do THIS!" and then follow it up with your own shots. I don't care if you're a photo novice or a seasoned pro...everyone will have indeed seen loads of examples of other cameras doing exactly what you posted or better. Holding your own stuff up as an example of excellence is like putting a "kick me" sign on your back!

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
jsjjnbrunk
Forum MemberPosts: 58
Like?
In reply to JeFB, Apr 24, 2013

JeFB wrote:

It all comes down to the person using it. It's the same with any camera.
Dpreview forum is not the best place to judge a camera output.

Amen!

Emacs23
Regular MemberPosts: 435Gear list
Like?
In reply to jaxwired, Apr 24, 2013

jaxwired wrote:

nawknai wrote:

Lots of non-DSLR cameras can take photos of this quality.

The 3rd photo has terrible WB, IMO.  Perhaps it's my work laptop's screen quality, but I doubt it.

Post some examples.  I tried a sony nex6 with the $1100 zeiss lens and I feel the x100s beats it.

This so called "zeiss" only worth $500, not the price Sony traded it for.

Emacs23's gear list:Emacs23's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-5N Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Leica Super-Elmar-M 18mm f/3.8 ASPH Leica Summilux-M 35mm f/1.4 ASPH Leica Summilux-M 50mm f/1.4 ASPH +3 more
headofdestiny
Veteran MemberPosts: 9,222Gear list
Like?
In reply to Emacs23, Apr 24, 2013

Emacs23 wrote:

jaxwired wrote:

nawknai wrote:

The 3rd photo has terrible WB, IMO.  Perhaps it's my work laptop's screen quality, but I doubt it.

Post some examples.  I tried a sony nex6 with the $1100 zeiss lens and I feel the x100s beats it.

As a former owner of the NEX-7+24/1.8, X100, and now the X100s, I didn't have much to complain about with the Zeiss 24/1.8, and its build is better than any other native mirrorless AF lens out there, especially compared with X-mount lenses.  It is very much a "Zeiss."  My only complaint was the size.

The new Zeiss lenses for X-mount and E-mount are similar in build to the 24/1.8 and likely similar in price.

dengx
Contributing MemberPosts: 933
Like?
In reply to udris, Apr 24, 2013

udris wrote:

No complaint here about the 100s just prefer the colour rendition output of the x100.

ProNEG profiles are much closer to the original X100.

http://www.flickr.com/search/?q=x100s%20proneg

Regards

sgoldswo
Senior MemberPosts: 3,716Gear list
Like?
In reply to headofdestiny, Apr 24, 2013

headofdestiny wrote:

Emacs23 wrote:

jaxwired wrote:

nawknai wrote:

As a former owner of the NEX-7+24/1.8, X100, and now the X100s, I didn't have much to complain about with the Zeiss 24/1.8, and its build is better than any other native mirrorless AF lens out there, especially compared with X-mount lenses.  It is very much a "Zeiss."  My only complaint was the size.

The new Zeiss lenses for X-mount and E-mount are similar in build to the 24/1.8 and likely similar in price.

It's a nice lens, but optically it's not all that. It never seemed clear to me if it was designed to produce nice sharpness, colours or bokeh. It probably says a lot about the Zeiss that I preferred the output from the Sigma 30mm on the NEX-7. In any event, I didn't think it was up to the build quality of the XF lenses and the hood design is crackers.

sgoldswo's gear list:sgoldswo's gear list
Leica M Typ 240 Olympus E-M1 Nikon Df Nikon D810
headofdestiny
Veteran MemberPosts: 9,222Gear list
Like?
In reply to sgoldswo, Apr 25, 2013

sgoldswo wrote:

headofdestiny wrote:

Emacs23 wrote:

jaxwired wrote:

nawknai wrote:

It's a nice lens, but optically it's not all that. It never seemed clear to me if it was designed to produce nice sharpness, colours or bokeh. It probably says a lot about the Zeiss that I preferred the output from the Sigma 30mm on the NEX-7. In any event, I didn't think it was up to the build quality of the XF lenses and the hood design is crackers.

Oh, I agree that the Sigma 30 is a sharper lens, but it's both longer and slower, being much easier to design.  I would imagine that the Sigma 30 is sharper than the X100s' lens across the frame, too.

The XF lenses are more plasticky in build than the ZA 24/1.8.  I agree about the hood, though, and, for some reason, even the ZA 85/1.4 and 135/1.8 have that silly two piece design that separates.

Enir4
Senior MemberPosts: 2,081Gear list
Like?
In reply to atone2, Apr 26, 2013

atone2 wrote:

I´ll tell you why: Because the original X100 has better image quality!

Example: Pic nr 1. Look at his face and t-shirt. Where is the fine detail? It looks like plastic...

Does the XE1 have this same problem?

Enrique

Enir4's gear list:Enir4's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX100 III Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Olympus E-M1 Panasonic Leica DG Macro-Elmarit 45mm F2.8 ASPH OIS +6 more
atone2
Regular MemberPosts: 301Gear list
Like?
In reply to Enir4, Apr 26, 2013

Enir4 wrote:

atone2 wrote:

Example: Pic nr 1. Look at his face and t-shirt. Where is the fine detail? It looks like plastic...

Enrique

I was not pleased with the results from my X-E1 raws processed in Lightroom. I sold the camera in january, and don´t regret it. In my opinion the original X100 gives better files with great detail, nice tones and colour. Many on this forum does not agree with me, so you have to decide for yourself

I will buy into the X-system later if rawprocessing in LR gets much better (as good as with bayer sensors) or when Fuji starts to use regular sensors again. There is really something special about the "fuji approach", but it´s not quite there yet. IMHO!

Enir4
Senior MemberPosts: 2,081Gear list
Like?
In reply to atone2, Apr 26, 2013

atone2 wrote:

Enir4 wrote:

atone2 wrote:

Enrique

I was not pleased with the results from my X-E1 raws processed in Lightroom. I sold the camera in january, and don´t regret it. In my opinion the original X100 gives better files with great detail, nice tones and colour. Many on this forum does not agree with me, so you have to decide for yourself

I will buy into the X-system later if rawprocessing in LR gets much better (as good as with bayer sensors) or when Fuji starts to use regular sensors again. There is really something special about the "fuji approach", but it´s not quite there yet. IMHO!

Thank you! I bought my second X100, a son stole my first one...
Enrique

Enir4's gear list:Enir4's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX100 III Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Olympus E-M1 Panasonic Leica DG Macro-Elmarit 45mm F2.8 ASPH OIS +6 more
stevenjames
Contributing MemberPosts: 888Gear list
Like?
In reply to jaxwired, Apr 26, 2013

jaxwired wrote:

...another compact camera that can take shots like this.  I have not seen results like this from anything else short of a DSLR...

My only complaint w/these photos are the color? They are too cyan/green/yellow try adding red/magenta.

Steve

-- hide signature --

www.StevenJamesPhotography.com

stevenjames's gear list:stevenjames's gear list
Fujifilm X100S Nikon D7100 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G Nikon AF-S DX Micro-Nikkor 85mm f/3.5G ED VR Tokina AT-X Pro 12-24mm f/4 DX II +8 more
sgoldswo
Senior MemberPosts: 3,716Gear list
Like?
In reply to Enir4, Apr 27, 2013

Enir4 wrote:

atone2 wrote:

Enrique

no

sgoldswo's gear list:sgoldswo's gear list
Leica M Typ 240 Olympus E-M1 Nikon Df Nikon D810
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads