New pc build with i7 3770K

Started Apr 21, 2013 | Discussions
philmar
Senior MemberPosts: 1,925Gear list
Like?
New pc build with i7 3770K
Apr 21, 2013

This build is for photo editing with Lightroom and Photoshop CS3. I probably will start to use the video capabilities of my Canon 5D3. This is what I have so far. The power supply, CPU cooler will sort themselves out later.
CPU - Intel Core i7-3770K 3.5GHz Quad-Core 
SSD - Samsung 840 Pro Series 240 GB 
HD disks - 2 x WD Green (WD30EZRX) 3TB 
Case - Antec P280 
What I really need help with is the mobo, memory and video card.
MOBO: I have decided to go with a 1155 socket and Z77 chipset. I have never overclocked because my hobby is photography not voltages, latency, multipliers ect. I never liked going in to the BIOS and trying to figure out what to do. And then fine tuning voltages, multipliers and monitoring temperatures aaargh!! But I think I'd like to OC this new build because if one can get better performance for free, why not? And more importantly I read now that some ASUS mobos like Sabertooth Z77 and ASUS P8Z77-V DELUXE have automatic OC features on them. If you don’t want to perform those complicated OC you can easily select the performance mode on the BIOS setting for painless overclock. It will result in 4.2GHz frequency with full system stability using the Core i7-3770K. This appeals to me. A LOT. I would pay more for a mobo that allows EASY overclocks. These aren't boards for the casual builder, but satisfy the most driven overclockers and tweakers.
Similarly, I don't want to pay for features I won't use/don't need: WiFi, wireless features, customizable fan controls, multi-GPU support, ECC memory, surround sound, remote-control access via a smartphone or tablet.
So I can easily afford either of the Sabertooth Z77 and ASUS P8Z77-V DELUXE but why overspend? Can anyone suggest another Z77 mobo that has easy OC features but less features like wireless connectivity and dual GPU support that I don't need?
Memory: I want 16 GB of DDR 3 RAM. I am clueless about memory. In light of the fact I'd like a mobo with easy OC features that will permit me to OC an i7 3770K at 4.2 GHz is there any type of memory that will work better? I'd pay no more than $150 for it. Will 4 sticks of 4GB work better than 2 sticks of 8gb?
Video Card: I own a Canon 5D3 that shoots video. I definitely will get in to video some time soon. But I don't know what video card I should get. I most definitely do NOT play video games. So I can skimp here I think. But I DO need 2 monitor support.
I thank you in advance for any help.

-- hide signature --

Phil M. - Toronto, Canada
Time to kill? Then have a look at a few of my photos, including one published by National Geographic : http://www.flickriver.com/photos/phil_marion/sets/

philmar's gear list:philmar's gear list
Canon EOS 30D Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Canon EF 16-35mm f/2.8L USM Canon EF 24-70mm f/2.8L USM +2 more
Canon EOS 5D Mark III Casio Exilim EX-Z77 Samsung i7
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Leon Obers
Senior MemberPosts: 2,788
Like?
Re: New pc build with i7 3770K
In reply to philmar, Apr 21, 2013

philmar wrote:
MOBO: I have decided to go with a 1155 socket and Z77 chipset. I have never overclocked because my hobby is photography not voltages, latency, multipliers ect. I never liked going in to the BIOS and trying to figure out what to do.

.... snip....

I read now that some ASUS mobos like Sabertooth Z77 and ASUS P8Z77-V DELUXE have automatic OC features on them. If you don’t want to perform those complicated OC you can easily select the performance mode on the BIOS setting for painless overclock. It will result in 4.2GHz frequency with full system stability using the Core i7-3770K. This appeals to me. A LOT.

The Asus Suite II overclocking utility is probably the best way to see just how far the system might go. You can OC from the most simple Z77 Asus board. See how simple it is done:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G7jwCe0QXT0

Those test are made by software  that runs under full load. Heavy load Photoshop tasks are consuming NOT that much power as from a "testing" utility. You do want OC to about 4.2GHz.
By my own experience I met no problems tweaking OC values manually up to 4.4 and 4.5 Ghz using an Asus board P8Z77-V Pro +  Intel i7 3770K CPU.

I don't want to pay for features I won't use/don't need: WiFi, wireless features, customizable fan controls, multi-GPU support, ECC memory, surround sound, remote-control access via a smartphone or tablet.
So I can easily afford either of the Sabertooth Z77 and ASUS P8Z77-V DELUXE but why overspend? Can anyone suggest another Z77 mobo that has easy OC features but less features like wireless connectivity and dual GPU support that I don't need?

Most options are already as a default possibility of todays motherboards and chip-set, in spite that you don't want to use it. Just install less, if you want less.
But IMO several options are quite handy and do have there own "quality". E.g. I don't want to mis fan-control for getting a very silent system, or EPU-settings.

Video card or GPU, the Intel i7 3770K is included already by a very useful GPU, using two monitors without a problem. Try this route first, not spending extra for a external GPU.

-- hide signature --

Leon Obers

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Michael Firstlight
Senior MemberPosts: 2,935Gear list
Like?
In reply to philmar, Apr 21, 2013

The only problem with those 'painless' Asus OC BIOS profiles is that they are all based on upping the base clock, which overclocks everything; it is actually Turbo Mode OC and they are not guaranteed to work or be stable as a result.  I ended up doing manual overclock (bypassing Turbo mode completely) using just the multiplier, XMP and By All Cores with my 3930K and overclocking to 4.5GHz using only a few basic BIOS parameters - very easy. I suspect it may be the same with 3770K chip and BIOS you are considering.

Regards,
Mike

Michael Firstlight's gear list:Michael Firstlight's gear list
Nikon D800 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 105mm f/2.8G IF-ED VR Sigma 10-20mm F3.5 EX DC HSM +12 more
ilysaml
Forum MemberPosts: 91
Like?
In reply to philmar, Apr 22, 2013

Any Z77 Mid-Range board have decent Power phases to achieve your clocks easily, top end boards are meant for serious OCLers who break the records and yes OCing yields some performance gain especially in multi-threaded applications. Ivy Bridge CPUs get hot beyond 4.0 GHz than Sandy Bridges, however there's no worry about it if you wanna stay at the 4.1-4.2GHz range. ASRock Z77 Extreme4 is the most pick for Z77 based systems, it was awarded and approved by many sites for quality/performance. The Deluxe, ASRock Extreme6, Gigabyte UD3H are sweet too, but as you said you don't need the extra features of Multiple PCIE and bla bla.

Almost all the Z77 boards can take up to 8GB per module, for easy OCing and adjusting proper latencies, besides you can determine easily which stick is faulty (If Any Found)

Since you're not a gamer, you don't need a high end card. Something like HD 7770 Ghz is perfect for your needs and also good gaming card if you wanted to play sometime.

Case is your own preference, but you're getting an expensive one.

Stay away from WD greens, you can get Seagate Barracuda, they are in 3TB as well, but 7200 RPM instead of 5900 with almost the same price.

Here's a list;

PCPartPicker part list: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/SdiY
Price breakdown by merchant: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/SdiY/by_merchant/
Benchmarks: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/SdiY/benchmarks/

CPU: Intel Core i7-3770K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($329.99 @ Newegg)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($29.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: ASRock Z77 Extreme4 ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($134.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($124.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Samsung 840 Series 250GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($189.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($144.99 @ Newegg)
Video Card: Sapphire Radeon HD 7770 GHz Edition 1GB Video Card ($99.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Corsair CX 500W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V Power Supply ($49.99 @Newegg)

Case: I like the CM Storm Enforcer.

Total: $1104.92
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-04-21 21:04 EDT-0400)

philmar
Like?
In reply to Leon Obers, Apr 22, 2013

Leon Obers wrote:

The Asus Suite II overclocking utility is probably the best way to see just how far the system might go. You can OC from the most simple Z77 Asus board. See how simple it is done:

Leon Obers

I don't have sound hooked up on this pc I am on right now so I can't hear the video.

Is the Asus Suite II overclocking utility part of the mobos software or something you dowload of the web?

-- hide signature --

Time to kill? Then have a look at a few of my photos, including one published by National Geographic : http://www.flickriver.com/photos/phil_marion/sets/

Canon EOS 30D Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Canon EF 16-35mm f/2.8L USM Canon EF 24-70mm f/2.8L USM +2 more
philmar
Like?
In reply to ilysaml, Apr 22, 2013

ilysaml wrote:

Case is your own preference, but you're getting an expensive one.

Stay away from WD greens, you can get Seagate Barracuda, they are in 3TB as well, but 7200 RPM instead of 5900 with almost the same price.

I thought WD were more reliable than Seagate but i didn't realise the Seagates were 7200 RPM.  Thanks

Good to know I can get a good case for less money!!!

-- hide signature --

ilysaml
Like?

WD are great but only if you get blues or blacks, but there's no blues in the 3TB capacity, and there's no reason getting blacks for just storage and they cost more.

nofumble
Senior MemberPosts: 1,260
Like?

ilysaml wrote:

Not important since your OS and application are launch from the SSD.

I use a Biostar TZ77B. The overclocking is easy, just clicked on the icon, adjust the setting, apply, done. This Biostar board is stable than the ASUS LGA1156 it replaces. I have not gotten one blue screen.

My graphic is GTX650 with 2 Gig DDR5.

I built mine during last year black Friday period. Most of the parts were 30-50% off. For example, I paid only $79 for the graphic card, $90 for Intel 160GB SSD, $40 for the Antec case. I have not seen those kind of deals this year.

philmar
Like?
In reply to nofumble, Apr 22, 2013

My HDDs will only be used for data. I am still debating whether to have one SSD of 240 gb or have 2 smaller SSDs of 128 gb each where I can dedicate one as a scratch disk.2nd

-- hide signature --

Roland Wooster
Senior MemberPosts: 1,968
Like?

I have personally had great experience with Gigabyte, Asus, and Zotac motherboards for overclocking many systems. A Z77 chipset is the best way to go, for more reasons than just overclocking. The Z77 uniquely provides the capability to run two high bandwidth plug in cards, so if you ever want to run either two graphics cards, or a graphics card and a plugin raid controller the Z77 is the best option for you.

From a memory perspective, the Ivy Bridge CPU you have is designed for DDR3 1600Mhz memory, if you want to overclock you can get 1866Mhz memory and that will provide you more headroom for overclocking.

The memory overclocking will be of measurable benefit if you plan to use the processor graphics, otherwise it's much harder to demonstrate a benefit.

Notably, I would strongly recommend getting 2x8GB versus 4x4GB, for two reasons. First, this route will provide you the cheaper option to upgrade to 32GB should you find the need (video editing, in particular 4K video editing, or large panoramic editing, or RAM drives for games). Secondly, running only one DIMM per memory channel will achieve higher memory overclocking performance than attempting to run two DIMMs per memory channel. So you can overclock 2*8GB much easier than 4*4GB.

With respect to the video card, the Ivy bridge processor graphics are more than enough for most things, however, with an NVidia 1GB graphics card you can benefit from CUDA acceleration if you are using Adobe Premiere Pro, or gaming.

Roland.

-- hide signature --
nofumble
Senior MemberPosts: 1,260
Like?

Scratch disk does not need 240GB.

Most people use SSD for OS and application.

Using HDD for OS and application is a waste of your i7-3770K.

BTW, I still have to wait for Photoshop to launch because of those Nik plugins.  I can't imagine how slow it would be with a HDD.

Ho72
Senior MemberPosts: 1,579
Like?
In reply to nofumble, Apr 22, 2013

nofumble wrote:

BTW, I still have to wait for Photoshop to launch because of those Nik plugins.  I can't imagine how slow it would be with a HDD.

About 11 seconds on first launch after boot, ~3 seconds thereafter. Curious why you think having OS and apps on a spinner is a waste of the processor...

philmar
Like?

ilysaml wrote:

WD are great but only if you get blues or blacks, but there's no blues in the 3TB capacity, and there's no reason getting blacks for just storage and they cost more.

So which 3 TB HDDs do you recommend? The Seagates?

-- hide signature --

ilysaml
Like?

philmar wrote:

ilysaml wrote:

So which 3 TB HDDs do you recommend? The Seagates?

-- hide signature --

The Green drives are optimized for low power usage and as a result they're noticeably poorer performers because they spindle down after few seconds. Get a green drive if you want bulk storage and performance isn't a concern, but personally I hate that 35 MB/s rate when I transfer files between partitions, so speed wise, get a faster HDD.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822148844

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136874

That being said using a SSD as a caching drive for another SSD, is an ultimate wrong idea.

ilysaml
Like?
In reply to Roland Wooster, Apr 22, 2013

Roland Wooster wrote:

Notably, I would strongly recommend getting 2x8GB versus 4x4GB, for two reasons. First, this route will provide you the cheaper option to upgrade to 32GB should you find the need (video editing, in particular 4K video editing, or large panoramic editing, or RAM drives for games). Secondly, running only one DIMM per memory channel will achieve higher memory overclocking performance than attempting to run two DIMMs per memory channel. So you can overclock 2*8GB much easier than 4*4GB.

With respect to the video card, the Ivy bridge processor graphics are more than enough for most things, however, with an NVidia 1GB graphics card you can benefit from CUDA acceleration if you are using Adobe Premiere Pro, or gaming.

Roland.

-- hide signature --

Shooting at 4K  and converting to 2K?? This kind of setup requires big resources beyond the i7 3770k and the 32GB RAM.

Yes but unfortunately not all the Adobe Suit benefit from GPU accelerations, and what's more brilliant is the collaboration between AMD and Adobe to support Open CL/GL

http://blogs.amd.com/fusion/2012/04/24/adobe-and-amd-enable-brilliant-experiences/

Benched

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/photoshop-cs6-gimp-aftershot-pro,3208-13.html

philmar
Like?

Maybe i wasn't clear earlier. I intend to use a SSD for my OS and apps. My 2 HDDs will only be used to download my RAW files and save my rendered jpgs. I don't plan on having any apps on the HDDs. Iisn't that the type of use that the greens would be good for?

I am trying to decide if i should have 1 240GB SSD with OS and apps or if i should buy 2 smaller HDDs (2x128GBs) and dedicate 1 of them as a LR/PS scratch disk (keeping the other one for OS and apps.)-

-- hide signature --

philmar
Like?

Thanks everyone for the great information so far.

As i read more i guess with the i7 3770K turbo boost that it may not be worthwhile for me to OC. Since it automatically boosts itself when needed I probably am only getting small incremental performance increase running the CPU at 4.2 GHz all the time. I understand that Turbo Boost can attain 3.9 GHz when called upon.

I guess I really should look for a mid-level mobo that runs well at stock speeds and doesn't have features i don't need like wireless connectivity and multiple GPU support. My only worry is that such a board may be of poor quality i.e. inferior solder connection using cheaper alloys

-- hide signature --

ilysaml
Like?

philmar wrote:

Maybe i wasn't clear earlier. I intend to use a SSD for my OS and apps. My 2 HDDs will only be used to download my RAW files and save my rendered jpgs. I don't plan on having any apps on the HDDs. Iisn't that the type of use that the greens would be good for?

I am trying to decide if i should have 1 240GB SSD with OS and apps or if i should buy 2 smaller HDDs (2x128GBs) and dedicate 1 of them as a LR/PS scratch disk (keeping the other one for OS and apps.)-

-- hide signature --

Screw Up the technical specs above and get the Barracudas.

Smaller HDDs? Is there even a 128GB HDD? The SSD is the great upgrade ever made to PC industry for incredible load times and faster R/W transfer rates. And no need for a scratch disk since you've a one big large SSD and a good amount of RAM.

philmar
Like?

CRAP - sorry. I meant getting 2 smaller SSDs (not HDDs) instead of the one big SSD  - too many friggen acronyms!!  

I know delegating a separate  disk for PS/LR scratch file is good when using slow HDDs but I wasn't sure of the same logic applied to SSDs. Apparently not... Thanks.

-- hide signature --

Leon Obers
Senior MemberPosts: 2,788
Like?

philmar wrote:

Leon Obers wrote:

Leon Obers

I don't have sound hooked up on this pc I am on right now so I can't hear the video.

Is the Asus Suite II overclocking utility part of the mobos software or something you dowload of the web?

What is spoken within the Youtube demo is even more important than what you see. So I would suggest to hook up some sound boxes or a headphone.

The Asus Suite II overclocking utility is part of the mobos software included on CD.

-- hide signature --

Leon Obers

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads