Downloading with Firefox

Started Apr 21, 2013 | Discussions
mstecker
Contributing MemberPosts: 563
Like?
Downloading with Firefox
Apr 21, 2013

I use the Firefox browser on a Windows 7 computer to download software and it worked quite well until recently.  Now when I attempt to download, I no longer see a download box of what i downloaded.  Why has this disappeared and how do I get it back?

-- hide signature --
proseak
Regular MemberPosts: 388
Like?
Re: Downloading with Firefox
In reply to mstecker, Apr 21, 2013

Pressing Ctrl+J will show you your downloads.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
mstecker
Like?
In reply to proseak, Apr 21, 2013

proseak wrote:

I pressed Ctrl, +, ) on my keyboard and still do not see the downloadbox.

-- hide signature --
Tom-C
Senior MemberPosts: 1,052Gear list
Like?

mstecker wrote:

proseak wrote:

He said ctrl J (Jay) and you said you tried ctrl ) ( right paren ), not what he suggested.

ctrl J works for me.

Tom

Tom-C's gear list:Tom-C's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark III
mstecker
Like?

mstecker wrote:

proseak wrote:

-- hide signature --

Thanks Proseak,
I misread the J as ) and that is why I did not see the downloadbox.  When I did tap the Ctrl + J keys I did see the downloadbox as you indicated.  However, this does not come up automatically as it did before in Firefox.  Is there some setting I should use in Firefox to see the downloadbox other than typying Ctrl+J everytime I download an item?

-- hide signature --
skyglider
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,138Gear list
Like?

mstecker wrote:

However, this does not come up automatically as it did before in Firefox.  Is there some setting I should use in Firefox to see the downloadbox other than typying Ctrl+J everytime I download an item?

Firefox version 20 has a down arrow on the right side of the search text box, just to the left of the "Home" icon.  You now need to click that to see the status of your downloads.

Sky

mstecker
Like?
In reply to skyglider, Apr 21, 2013

skyglider wrote:

mstecker wrote:

However, this does not come up automatically as it did before in Firefox.  Is there some setting I should use in Firefox to see the downloadbox other than typying Ctrl+J everytime I download an item?

Firefox version 20 has a down arrow on the right side of the search text box, just to the left of the "Home" icon.  You now need to click that to see the status of your downloads.

Sky

Sky,
Thanks for your help.

-- hide signature --
CoralRed
Regular MemberPosts: 102
Like?
In reply to mstecker, Apr 22, 2013

Type about:config in the Address Bar to access the configuration then find the below string:
browser.download.useToolkitUI
Double-click to change the value to True

CoralRed
Regular MemberPosts: 102
Like?
In reply to CoralRed, Apr 22, 2013

CoralRed wrote:

Type about:config in the Address Bar to access the configuration then find the below string:
browser.download.useToolkitUI
Double-click to change the value to True

The above is to get back the Download Manager.

CAcreeks
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,737
Like?
What's the verdict on Download UI?
In reply to mstecker, Apr 29, 2013

Does anybody who accepted the new Download interface like it?

Seems OK to me (on computers I have not customized) but I do not like the Download thing-a-ma-jiggy on the toolbar.

mstecker wrote:

I use the Firefox browser on a Windows 7 computer to download software and it worked quite well until recently.  Now when I attempt to download, I no longer see a download box of what i downloaded. [I see something else.]

coudet
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,814
Like?
In reply to mstecker, Apr 30, 2013

mstecker wrote:

I use the Firefox browser on a Windows 7 computer to download software and it worked quite well until recently.  Now when I attempt to download, I no longer see a download box of what i downloaded.  Why has this disappeared and how do I get it back?

Reverting back to Firefox 18 did the trick for me. And as a bonus, I get some of my key extensions back, that new Firefox version effectively broke.

CAcreeks
Like?
When was the last useful FF update?
In reply to coudet, Apr 30, 2013

coudet wrote:

Reverting back to Firefox 18 did the trick for me. And as a bonus, I get some of my key extensions back, that new Firefox version effectively broke.

Come to think of it, I cannot remember the last Firefox version that was a big improvement in any way.

They claim to have made performance improvements, but it seems like Firefox hangs when downloading more than ever before.

Guess I should search for my own posts with something positive to say... Aha, found it. Firefox 4:

I like Firefox 4

coudet
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,814
Like?
Re: When was the last useful FF update?
In reply to CAcreeks, Apr 30, 2013

CAcreeks wrote:

coudet wrote:

Come to think of it, I cannot remember the last Firefox version that was a big improvement in any way.

They claim to have made performance improvements, but it seems like Firefox hangs when downloading more than ever before.

Guess I should search for my own posts with something positive to say... Aha, found it. Firefox 4:

I like Firefox 4

Yeah, I used to run FF 4 for a long time, and then updated to some much, much newer version. I don't remember seeing any significant improvement.

FF 20 introduced some changes, none for the good. It broke several of my extensions (and extensions are the only reason I use FF), it messed up the downloads and private browsing mode. I fought with it for several days, trying to work around the issues. I gave up, reverted back to FF 18 and now everything works as it should.

Jim Cockfield
Forum ProPosts: 14,905
Like?
Works fine, or use FF 17esr (extended support release)

FF 20 works fine for me.   I have it installed in both Linux and Windows.

The download feature also seems fine (arrow on the address bar) for a quick glance a download progress (click it once to see progress, click it again and it goes away).   You can also click on "View all Downloads" when you click on the Downloads button to see the full list (which gives you everything the old list gave you and more).

You can also get to the full list under Tools>Downloads.

Using an updated browser is very important, because security vulnerabilities are addressed in each new release.   So, if you don't use a current version, you're asking for trouble (as criminals will try to develop exploits that take advantage of security holes in browsers when users haven't upgraded them).   You can see some of the Security Bulletins for fixes implemented on this page:

http://www.mozilla.org/security/known-vulnerabilities/firefox.html

For those of you that don't like the changes in the latest versions, rather that moving back to something like FF 19 (which doesn't protect you against things like the cross site scripting vulnerability fixed in FF 20) , you may want to consider using Firefox 17 ESR instead.

That's the Extended Support Release (ESR) of Firefox, which means it gets Security Updates, without the new features.

You can get the latest ESR release here (currently Firefox 17.05esr, which includes the latest security fixes implemented in FF 20.x) here:

http://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/organizations/all.html

More about how Mozilla works the ESR lifecycle here (FF 17 should be supported with fixes for high and critical security vulnerabilities until December (after a new ESR release based on FF 24 comes out):

http://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/organizations/faq/

For those of you that use Thunderbird for e-mail, you can get an ESR release of it here:

http://www.mozilla.org/en-US/thunderbird/organizations/all-esr.html

Note that both Firefox and Thunderbird share some of the same code base for things like rendering content.  So, it's important to make sure you have an updated version of Thunderbird for security reasons, too (and the ESR releases give you security updates without the new features of later versions).

-- hide signature --

JimC
------

Jim Cockfield
Forum ProPosts: 14,905
Like?
I like it -- IMO, it's an excellent design
In reply to CAcreeks, Apr 30, 2013

CAcreeks wrote:

Seems OK to me (on computers I have not customized) but I do not like the Download thing-a-ma-jiggy on the toolbar.

I like the new design.

The download arrow on the address toolbar changes color so you know if any downloads are in progress.

Clicking on the Download arrow also lets you see the progress of any downloads, without blocking as much of your view of the web page you're on.

But, if you prefer a Full Downloads list, after you click the button to see the Progress of current downloads, you can just click on "Show all Downloads" link at the bottom of that progress screen to see the full list.

You can also get to the Full Downloads list by using Tools>Downloads.

I also like it that you can click the new Downloads Button in the address bar once to see progress, and click it again and it goes away.

IMO, it's a great design, and after getting used to, I prefer it over the old way.

-- hide signature --

JimC
------

CAcreeks
Like?
Re: I like it -- IMO, it's an excellent design
In reply to Jim Cockfield, Apr 30, 2013

Thanks for your opinion, Jim.

Looks like my appearance skin, StrataM, does not support the download button. Instead of being a simple down arrow, it is a huge rectangular area with rounded corners. Guess it is time to delve into theme customization! I do not like the boring gray icons in the Default theme.

Jim Cockfield wrote:

CAcreeks wrote:

I like the new design.

The download arrow on the address toolbar changes color so you know if any downloads are in progress.

Clicking on the Download arrow also lets you see the progress of any downloads, without blocking as much of your view of the web page you're on.

But, if you prefer a Full Downloads list, after you click the button to see the Progress of current downloads, you can just click on "Show all Downloads" link at the bottom of that progress screen to see the full list.

You can also get to the Full Downloads list by using Tools>Downloads.

I also like it that you can click the new Downloads Button in the address bar once to see progress, and click it again and it goes away.

IMO, it's a great design, and after getting used to, I prefer it over the old way.

-- hide signature --

JimC
------

Pictus
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,738
Like?
Use Free Download Manager and be happy!

Use Free Download Manager and be happy!

CAcreeks
Like?
Fast viewers for PDF and Word, why?
In reply to coudet, May 3, 2013

The PDF viewer built into Firefox 20 is really fast compared to Adobe Reader. Anybody have theories why? I read that it is implemented in Javascript, so the speed is unexpected.

Similar is true of the built-in Word viewer, although I have less experience with it.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads