Why only 1/1250s @ f2.8 on DP2 Merrill?

Started Apr 21, 2013 | Questions
Hardy Steiner
Senior MemberPosts: 1,993
Like?
Why only 1/1250s @ f2.8 on DP2 Merrill?
Apr 21, 2013

So we finally had a sunny day yesterday and I wanted to take a picture at f2.8 on my DP2 Merrill. I had the dial on M and as it was very bright I just dialed in a fast shutter speed (like one I would normally use on the SD1) ... took the picture and it turned out dark. I got suspicious and then I saw in the viewfinder that suddenly the aperture was set on f4. Ok, I thought that I must have done something wrong and after playing a bit more around I realized that even in M the DP2 increases that aperture when you dial in a very fast shutter speed ... and then I remembered that it said something about this in the instructions.

Now, this basically meant that I couldn't take the picture like I wanted. I'd like to understand the reason behind limiting the shutter speed like this? If I want to take a portrait shot on a bright day at f/2.8 I can't because it's not possible (unless I happen to have a ND filter with me which I would have to buy in the first place).

Looking at the instructions it says that from f2.8 to f3.5 you can only have a shutter speed as fast as 1/1250s, from f4 to f5 1/1600s and finally from f5.6 to f16 1/2000s.

So why can I not have 1/2000s at f2.8 where I am more likely to use it than at f5.6?

-- hide signature --

Best regards,
Hardy
==================
Join the Sigma DP Macro Group on:
http://www.flickr.com/groups/sigma_dp_macro/
My pictures on:
On Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/diddy

ANSWER:
Panasonic Lumix DMC-F5 Sigma DP2 Sigma DP2 Merrill Sigma SD1
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
victorgv
Contributing MemberPosts: 935Gear list
Like?
Re: Why only 1/1250s @ f2.8 on DP2 Merrill?
In reply to Hardy Steiner, Apr 21, 2013

Short answer speed of leaf shutter limitations. It serves also as aperture and because for f/2.8 it has to open more you get longer exposure . With  smaller opening you will get faster shutter speed.

Leafs of shutter can open and close only so fast.

Hardy Steiner wrote:

So we finally had a sunny day yesterday and I wanted to take a picture at f2.8 on my DP2 Merrill. I had the dial on M and as it was very bright I just dialed in a fast shutter speed (like one I would normally use on the SD1) ... took the picture and it turned out dark. I got suspicious and then I saw in the viewfinder that suddenly the aperture was set on f4. Ok, I thought that I must have done something wrong and after playing a bit more around I realized that even in M the DP2 increases that aperture when you dial in a very fast shutter speed ... and then I remembered that it said something about this in the instructions.

Now, this basically meant that I couldn't take the picture like I wanted. I'd like to understand the reason behind limiting the shutter speed like this? If I want to take a portrait shot on a bright day at f/2.8 I can't because it's not possible (unless I happen to have a ND filter with me which I would have to buy in the first place).

Looking at the instructions it says that from f2.8 to f3.5 you can only have a shutter speed as fast as 1/1250s, from f4 to f5 1/1600s and finally from f5.6 to f16 1/2000s.

So why can I not have 1/2000s at f2.8 where I am more likely to use it than at f5.6?

-- hide signature --

Best regards,
Hardy
==================
Join the Sigma DP Macro Group on:
http://www.flickr.com/groups/sigma_dp_macro/
My pictures on:
On Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/diddy

 victorgv's gear list:victorgv's gear list
Sigma DP1 Sigma DP2 Merrill Sigma DP2 Quattro
selected answer This post was selected as the answer by the original poster.
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
PicOne
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,859
Like?
Re: Why only 1/1250s @ f2.8 on DP2 Merrill?
In reply to victorgv, Apr 21, 2013

victorgv wrote:

Short answer speed of leaf shutter limitations. It serves also as aperture and because for f/2.8 it has to open more you get longer exposure . With  smaller opening you will get faster shutter speed.

Leafs of shutter can open and close only so fast.

I know this is the answer... what I'm curious about is why shutter speeds of 1/4000 to 1/8000 etc.. aren't achievable with f/8 and smaller..   Ie. why does the Tv to Av relationship stop having an impact at f/5.6 ?

Hardy Steiner wrote:

So we finally had a sunny day yesterday and I wanted to take a picture at f2.8 on my DP2 Merrill. I had the dial on M and as it was very bright I just dialed in a fast shutter speed (like one I would normally use on the SD1) ... took the picture and it turned out dark. I got suspicious and then I saw in the viewfinder that suddenly the aperture was set on f4. Ok, I thought that I must have done something wrong and after playing a bit more around I realized that even in M the DP2 increases that aperture when you dial in a very fast shutter speed ... and then I remembered that it said something about this in the instructions.

Now, this basically meant that I couldn't take the picture like I wanted. I'd like to understand the reason behind limiting the shutter speed like this? If I want to take a portrait shot on a bright day at f/2.8 I can't because it's not possible (unless I happen to have a ND filter with me which I would have to buy in the first place).

Looking at the instructions it says that from f2.8 to f3.5 you can only have a shutter speed as fast as 1/1250s, from f4 to f5 1/1600s and finally from f5.6 to f16 1/2000s.

So why can I not have 1/2000s at f2.8 where I am more likely to use it than at f5.6?

-- hide signature --

Best regards,
Hardy
==================
Join the Sigma DP Macro Group on:
http://www.flickr.com/groups/sigma_dp_macro/
My pictures on:
On Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/diddy

-- hide signature --

'Everything in photography boils down to what's sharp and what's fuzzy.'
-Gaylord Herron

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Hardy Steiner
Senior MemberPosts: 1,993
Like?
Re: Why only 1/1250s @ f2.8 on DP2 Merrill?
In reply to victorgv, Apr 21, 2013

Interesting! Thanks for letting me know. So I have to get an ND filter then I guess. What's the best one to get: 2x or 4x? 4x or?

-- hide signature --

Best regards,
Hardy
==================
Join the Sigma DP Macro Group on:
http://www.flickr.com/groups/sigma_dp_macro/
My pictures on:
On Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/diddy

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Jim Funston
Senior MemberPosts: 1,459
Like?
Re: Why only 1/1250s @ f2.8 on DP2 Merrill?
In reply to Hardy Steiner, Apr 21, 2013

Hardy Steiner wrote:

Interesting! Thanks for letting me know. So I have to get an ND filter then I guess. What's the best one to get: 2x or 4x? 4x or?

-- hide signature --

Best regards,
Hardy
==================
Join the Sigma DP Macro Group on:
http://www.flickr.com/groups/sigma_dp_macro/
My pictures on:
On Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/diddy

Variable.......

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Roland Karlsson
Forum ProPosts: 21,095Gear list
Like?
Re: Why only 1/1250s @ f2.8 on DP2 Merrill?
In reply to PicOne, Apr 21, 2013

PicOne wrote:

I know this is the answer... what I'm curious about is why shutter speeds of 1/4000 to 1/8000 etc.. aren't achievable with f/8 and smaller..   Ie. why does the Tv to Av relationship stop having an impact at f/5.6 ?

This is what it says in the user manual.

30s ~ 1/1250s : F2.8 ~ F16
1/1600s : F4.0 ~ F16
1/2000s : F5.6 ~ F16

Seems quite reasonable I think.

You have to remember that the diameter of the aperture is the sqrt of the area. So, if the shuttewr moves linear, then you need two stops to gian a stop in shutter speed. So ... then the max shutter speed (at F2.8) would be 1/4000. Now, I assume the movement is not linear, but much faster in the beginning and end to minimize the problem. Then you wont gain much.

 Roland Karlsson's gear list:Roland Karlsson's gear list
Sigma DP3 Merrill Sigma DP2 Quattro Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX100 III Pentax K-3 Pentax smc DA 15mm F4 ED AL Limited +8 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Roland Karlsson
Forum ProPosts: 21,095Gear list
Like?
Re: Why only 1/1250s @ f2.8 on DP2 Merrill?
In reply to Jim Funston, Apr 21, 2013

Jim Funston wrote:

Hardy Steiner wrote:

Interesting! Thanks for letting me know. So I have to get an ND filter then I guess. What's the best one to get: 2x or 4x? 4x or?

-- hide signature --

Best regards,
Hardy
==================
Join the Sigma DP Macro Group on:
http://www.flickr.com/groups/sigma_dp_macro/
My pictures on:
On Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/diddy

Variable.......

Not that I really know. Is really variable ND filters of high optical quality? And are they of neutral color and does not polarize?

 Roland Karlsson's gear list:Roland Karlsson's gear list
Sigma DP3 Merrill Sigma DP2 Quattro Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX100 III Pentax K-3 Pentax smc DA 15mm F4 ED AL Limited +8 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Hardy Steiner
Senior MemberPosts: 1,993
Like?
Re: Why only 1/1250s @ f2.8 on DP2 Merrill?
In reply to Jim Funston, Apr 21, 2013

I googled for them now but I couldn't find one renown filter manufacturers like Hoya.

-- hide signature --

Best regards,
Hardy
==================
Join the Sigma DP Macro Group on:
http://www.flickr.com/groups/sigma_dp_macro/
My pictures on:
On Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/diddy

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
mike earussi
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,008
Like?
Re: Why only 1/1250s @ f2.8 on DP2 Merrill?
In reply to Hardy Steiner, Apr 21, 2013

Hardy Steiner wrote:

I googled for them now but I couldn't find one renown filter manufacturers like Hoya.

-- hide signature --

Best regards,
Hardy
==================
Join the Sigma DP Macro Group on:
http://www.flickr.com/groups/sigma_dp_macro/
My pictures on:
On Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/diddy

They're out there, but very expensive: http://philipbloom.net/2011/06/04/the-best-variable-nd-filter-i-have-used/

For what you're wanting, a straight ND filter should be sufficient.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Hardy Steiner
Senior MemberPosts: 1,993
Like?
Re: Why only 1/1250s @ f2.8 on DP2 Merrill?
In reply to mike earussi, Apr 22, 2013

Thanks Mike! Yes, I think I just go for a normal one ... 4x would be the best, or?

-- hide signature --

Best regards,
Hardy
==================
Join the Sigma DP Macro Group on:
http://www.flickr.com/groups/sigma_dp_macro/
My pictures on:
On Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/diddy

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
mike earussi
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,008
Like?
Re: Why only 1/1250s @ f2.8 on DP2 Merrill?
In reply to Hardy Steiner, Apr 22, 2013

Hardy Steiner wrote:

Thanks Mike! Yes, I think I just go for a normal one ... 4x would be the best, or?

-- hide signature --

Best regards,
Hardy
==================
Join the Sigma DP Macro Group on:
http://www.flickr.com/groups/sigma_dp_macro/
My pictures on:
On Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/diddy

4x is a good start unless you're wanting the smooth water look, then you need 10x.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Hardy Steiner
Senior MemberPosts: 1,993
Like?
Re: Why only 1/1250s @ f2.8 on DP2 Merrill?
In reply to mike earussi, Apr 22, 2013

Ok, excellent, thanks a lot! I put my order in then.

-- hide signature --

Best regards,
Hardy
==================
Join the Sigma DP Macro Group on:
http://www.flickr.com/groups/sigma_dp_macro/
My pictures on:
On Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/diddy

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Erik Magnuson
Forum ProPosts: 12,103Gear list
Like?
Combined shutter/aperture mechanism
In reply to Hardy Steiner, Apr 22, 2013

Hardy Steiner wrote:

I'd like to understand the reason behind limiting the shutter speed like this?

Because the shutter blades and the aperture blades are the same mechanism.  They can obviously close from a small aperture faster than from a large.   The alternative would be to limit the top speed to the wide open speed.   This is not uncommon on fixed lens digital cameras (e.g. Ricoh GR).

-- hide signature --

Erik

 Erik Magnuson's gear list:Erik Magnuson's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 450D Sigma SD10 Sony Alpha NEX-5 Nikon D3200 +28 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
IVN
IVN
Senior MemberPosts: 1,598Gear list
Like?
Of course you can use f2.8 under bright sunlight
In reply to Hardy Steiner, Apr 28, 2013

Look at this: http://fotogenerellinternational.wordpress.com/2013/04/17/finally-spring/

There are several images at f2.8, ISO100 and 1/1250. It turnes out to be enough so you can shoot wide open without overexposing. And if you do, you can pull the highlights down a bit (there is enough headroom in the RAWs) and get even smoother files.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Hardy Steiner
Senior MemberPosts: 1,993
Like?
Re: Of course you can use f2.8 under bright sunlight
In reply to IVN, Apr 28, 2013

Many thanks for pointing this out. This might work in quite a lot of cases, but I must admit that I had some SD1M pictures where I couldn't recover the blown out/overexposed areas properly. In the meantime I received the ND filter (Kenko Pro1 4x ND) and it seems to be working fine.

You have quite a nice selection of pictures on your blog!

-- hide signature --

Best regards,
Hardy
==================
Join the Sigma DP Macro Group on:
http://www.flickr.com/groups/sigma_dp_macro/
My pictures on:
On Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/diddy

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
3dreal
Senior MemberPosts: 2,128
Like?
Re: Why only 1/1250s @ f2.8 on DP2 Merrill?
In reply to Hardy Steiner, Apr 28, 2013

Hardy Steiner wrote:

Interesting! Thanks for letting me know. So I have to get an ND filter then I guess. What's the best one to get: 2x or 4x? 4x or?

-- hide signature --

Best regards,
Hardy
==================
Join the Sigma DP Macro Group on:
http://www.flickr.com/groups/sigma_dp_macro/
My pictures on:
On Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/diddy

a variable one. there are quality ones which do not change colors etc. except density. pls ask the experts.

-- hide signature --

www.stereopan.org

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads