Difficulties with A77 and new pair of glasses

Started Apr 21, 2013 | Discussions
rio911
Contributing MemberPosts: 962Gear list
Like?
Difficulties with A77 and new pair of glasses
Apr 21, 2013

Hi guys,

Yesterday I had a small shock while shooting with my A77 and wearing my new pair of reaction glasses.  I usually wear contacts, but decided to wear my brand new glasses to try them out.  It was a bright sunny day and straight off the exposure and WB seemed off on the EVF and rear screen.  It took me a few shots to realize that the reaction lenses were "tampering" with my perception of the camera exposure.  For me it is not a possibility to remove the glasses, I have -6 correction.  So I could not trust my eyes and had to trust the camera to expose correctly.

Sorry for the rant, I'm sure at least some of you are familiar with this issue.  And the final point, the camera did pretty well in very difficult conditions, here are couple of samples:

Blossoms

Daffodils

Thanks for reading,

rio

rio911's gear list:rio911's gear list
Sony RX100 Sony SLT-A77 Sony 50mm F1.4 Sony 70-300mm F4.5-5.6 G SSM Sony DT 16-50mm F2.8 SSM
Sony SLT-A77
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Sonyshine
Senior MemberPosts: 5,654Gear list
Like?
Re: Difficulties with A77 and new pair of glasses
In reply to rio911, Apr 21, 2013

Most people have  have trouble with sunglasses , particularly polarisng glasses, and reactolite type glasses when using cameras, especially  with EVF's.

I wear multifocal contact lenses which give you excellent near vision - ideal for reading camera menus and buttons and superb distance vision - they are definitely the very best eye wear for photography use - although I wear them all the time.

Sonyshine's gear list:Sonyshine's gear list
Nikon AF-S DX Micro Nikkor 40mm F2.8 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-QX10 Nikon 1 V2 Tamron SP 70-300mm F/4-5.6 Di VC USD Nikon 1 Nikkor VR 30-110mm f/3.8-5.6 +6 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Karl Scharf
Senior MemberPosts: 3,075Gear list
Like?
In reply to Sonyshine, Apr 21, 2013

Sonyshine wrote:

Most people have  have trouble with sunglasses , particularly polarisng glasses, and reactolite type glasses when using cameras, especially  with EVF's.

I wear multifocal contact lenses which give you excellent near vision - ideal for reading camera menus and buttons and superb distance vision - they are definitely the very best eye wear for photography use - although I wear them all the time.

I also wear contact lenses all the time, my right one is set up for distance, My left one enhances closeup vision. Works very well for me.

Having said that, I still wish that someone would come out with a better eyecup for the A77.

Not sure why Sony elected to move the eye proximity sensor from the bottom to the top. Eliminates being able to adapt even their own accessory eyecups, yet alone any aftermarket eyecups to the A77.

Makes no sense at all, since they reversed it back again on the A99, which otherwise has an identical viewfinder!!!!

Those are some of the annoying things about Sony that are inexcusable!

-- hide signature --

Karl Scharf >>> ( Sony SLT-A77, Rokinon 8mm, Sigma 10-20 f4.0-5.6, Sigma 18-250 f3.5-6.3, Sigma 50-500 f4.5-6.3 OS, Minolta 70-210 f4.0, Minolta 50 f1.7, Kenko 1.4x DGX ) <<<

Karl Scharf's gear list:Karl Scharf's gear list
Sony RX100 Sony SLT-A77 Sony a77 II Sigma 18-250mm F3.5-6.3 DC OS HSM Sigma 10-20mm F4-5.6 EX DC HSM +5 more
tbcass
Forum ProPosts: 18,962Gear list
Like?
In reply to rio911, Apr 21, 2013

I have been wearing transition glasses exclusively for about 15 years. They do not effect my perception of the white balance at all, probably because I am used to them, but they obviously make the viewfinder darker so I do not judge exposure with them on.

-- hide signature --
 tbcass's gear list:tbcass's gear list
Sony RX100 Sony SLT-A77 Tamron SP AF 90mm F/2.8 Di Macro Sony DT 35mm F1.8 SAM Tamron SP 70-300mm F/4-5.6 Di USD +6 more
rio911
Like?
In reply to tbcass, Apr 21, 2013

tbcass wrote:

I have been wearing transition glasses exclusively for about 15 years. They do not effect my perception of the white balance at all, probably because I am used to them, but they obviously make the viewfinder darker so I do not judge exposure with them on.

-- hide signature --

Are they brown or grey?  I selected brown when choosing the lenses and is it possible they changed the AW?

rio

Sony RX100 Sony SLT-A77 Sony 50mm F1.4 Sony 70-300mm F4.5-5.6 G SSM Sony DT 16-50mm F2.8 SSM
rio911
Like?
In reply to Sonyshine, Apr 21, 2013

Sonyshine wrote:

I have been wearing contact lenses for the last 4 or 5 years and when I wear sunglasses I always remove them when shooting.  That is why it was such a shock to encounter this issue in the bright sun.

Thanks,

rio

rio911
Like?
In reply to Karl Scharf, Apr 21, 2013

Karl Scharf wrote:

I also wear contact lenses all the time, my right one is set up for distance, My left one enhances closeup vision. Works very well for me.

Having said that, I still wish that someone would come out with a better eyecup for the A77.

Not sure why Sony elected to move the eye proximity sensor from the bottom to the top. Eliminates being able to adapt even their own accessory eyecups, yet alone any aftermarket eyecups to the A77.

Makes no sense at all, since they reversed it back again on the A99, which otherwise has an identical viewfinder!!!!

Those are some of the annoying things about Sony that are inexcusable!

Hi Karl,

I also wear contact lenses most of the time, but never had the problem with the A77 eyecup.  I do have to push quite hard when wearing glasses in order to see the whole EVF though.  I also tried removing the eyecup when wearing glasses, but I think I ended up putting it back together because of too much light leaking in and making the EVF almost indistinguishable.

rio

Answell
Contributing MemberPosts: 958Gear list
Like?
In reply to tbcass, Apr 21, 2013

tbcass wrote:

-- hide signature --

I also wear transition glasses, and could not see anything using the EVF in bright condition. Fortunately, I can see near perfect without my glasses, so I take them off. I have no such problem when shooting with my Nikon D300s, which brings up the old question again.. EVF or OVF. I can live with both, as there are other methods.

tbcass
Like?
In reply to rio911, Apr 23, 2013

rio911 wrote:

Are they brown or grey?  I selected brown when choosing the lenses and is it possible they changed the AW?

rio

Mine darken to grey which is WB neutral. I can imagine brown could alter your perception of white balance.

-- hide signature --
Sony RX100 Sony SLT-A77 Tamron SP AF 90mm F/2.8 Di Macro Sony DT 35mm F1.8 SAM Tamron SP 70-300mm F/4-5.6 Di USD +6 more
tbcass
Like?
In reply to Answell, Apr 23, 2013

Answell wrote:

I also wear transition glasses, and could not see anything using the EVF in bright condition. Fortunately, I can see near perfect without my glasses, so I take them off. I have no such problem when shooting with my Nikon D300s, which brings up the old question again.. EVF or OVF. I can live with both, as there are other methods.

Yes both OVF and EVF have advantages and disadvantages. In bright sun I wear a baseball cap to block the sun's rays so I have little problem using the EVF with darkened glasses.

-- hide signature --
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads