Will the fz250 come out soon?

Started Apr 21, 2013 | Questions
skuzzzzy
New MemberPosts: 14
Like?
Will the fz250 come out soon?
Apr 21, 2013

Will be purchasing a panasonic fz200 or sony hx200v/hx300 soon, would hate to purchase one then the fz250 release shortly there after, any idea if the fz250 will be arriving anytime soon?

ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX200V
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Rodger1943
Senior MemberPosts: 2,568Gear list
Like?
Re: Will the fz250 come out soon?
In reply to skuzzzzy, Apr 21, 2013

Normally Panasonic release a new FZ series camera around the 21st July and they become available in the shops about 4-6 weeks later.

-- hide signature --

Panasonic FZ200

Rodger1943's gear list:Rodger1943's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200 +1 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Mariush
Contributing MemberPosts: 627Gear list
Like?
In reply to Rodger1943, Apr 21, 2013

When just available you will have to pay the premium price for it!! The FZ200 is available at very low prices these days and the price will possibly decrease even more after the launch of an FZ250. So two reasons to wait....

-- hide signature --

Best regards, Marius

Mariush's gear list:Mariush's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix F30 Zoom Olympus C-5050 Zoom Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ30 Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZR1 Samsung NX20 +1 more
skuzzzzy
Like?
In reply to Mariush, Apr 21, 2013

Mariush wrote:

When just available you will have to pay the premium price for it!! The FZ200 is available at very low prices these days and the price will possibly decrease even more after the launch of an FZ250. So two reasons to wait....

-- hide signature --

Best regards, Marius

Price isnt an issue. do you think that the difference will be enough to justify a 3 month wait though?

cainn24
Senior MemberPosts: 1,046Gear list
Like?

skuzzzzy wrote:

Mariush wrote:

-- hide signature --

Best regards, Marius

Price isnt an issue. do you think that the difference will be enough to justify a 3 month wait though?

Get a camera now.  You can always sell it when the FZ250 becomes available, if it turns out to be something you just have to have.  Life's short, so you might as well be having some fun in the meantime.

Gary Waugh
Senior MemberPosts: 1,185
Like?
In reply to cainn24, Apr 21, 2013

cainn24 wrote:

skuzzzzy wrote:

Mariush wrote:

-- hide signature --

Best regards, Marius

Get a camera now.  You can always sell it when the FZ250 becomes available, if it turns out to be something you just have to have.  Life's short, so you might as well be having some fun in the meantime.

Especially when price is no object.

-- hide signature --

Gary in PA

Jerrich
Senior MemberPosts: 2,350Gear list
Like?
In reply to Gary Waugh, Apr 21, 2013

I've had pretty good luck selling my used stuff on Craig's List.  I also vote for not waiting so you can learn the Panny system now.

JR

-- hide signature --

Nikon F (Sold)
Argus C44R (gorgeous)(Sold)
Fuji S100fs(Sold)
Canon A20, A80, A710, A650, G11
www.flickr.com/photos/25863948@N07/collections/

Jerrich's gear list:Jerrich's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200 Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS25 Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS40 (TZ60)
skuzzzzy
Like?
In reply to Jerrich, Apr 21, 2013

any ideas of what the fz250 may include? like would you expect a higher quality lcd display, better pq, better zoom or wifi?

Erik Ohlson
Forum ProPosts: 12,280
Like?

skuzzzzy wrote:

any ideas of what the fz250 may include? like would you expect a higher quality lcd display, better pq, better zoom or wifi?

Yes.

Panasonic knows what / if / when the "FZ250" will be.

No one else knows.

-- hide signature --

'He who hesitates is not only lost - he's miles from the next Exit.'
www.flickr.com/ohlsonmh/ ohlsonmh@yahoo.com

loafer
Senior MemberPosts: 1,198
Like?
I'll speculate

Wifi

GPS

Better panorama

Touchscreen

Eye proximity sensor

Maybe some of those HDR and low light multi-shot modes seen in some of the Sony Models.

Different processing - maybe a new Venus version - but that is not seen in the newer panasonic cameras yet.

It will not have a larger sensor.

If they get more zoom it will not remain 2.8 throughout the whole range.

More MP is possible - there are up to 18 MP on this size sensor.

morepix
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,830Gear list
Like?
Re: You'll speculate
In reply to loafer, Apr 21, 2013

Well done! Your speculation plus $3.00 will buy a tall latte any day at Starbucks.

-- hide signature --

David
www.pbase.com/morepix

morepix's gear list:morepix's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX7 Olympus Stylus 1 Olympus OM-D E-M10
GeraldW
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,718Gear list
Like?
Re: I'll speculate
In reply to loafer, Apr 21, 2013

Pretty much, I think you're on the right track.  I'd guess an improved 1/2.33" 12 MP sensor.  Canon has been sticking with 12 MP, and I believe they are the ones Panasonic watches most closely.

I expect a longer focal length, maybe 900-1000 mm f/3.5-f/4.  I don't think Panasonic can afford to ignore the competition's longer lenses any longer; but I'd be surprised if they abandon their tradition of faster lenses.  Also a new and (hopefully) better processor.  One stop better ISO, so that ISO 1600 is useful, and 3200 is usable in a pinch.  More like what you can do with the FZ150.  if the lens is longer; but slower, the camera will have to have lower noise to allow more use of high ISO.

Probably some more "features".  You listed several that are likely.   I'd expect kind of an FZ200 "improved", with the same size and shape body.  The same controls and the same high resolution EVF.  They might increase the LCD resolution to 920k dots.

-- hide signature --

Jerry

GeraldW's gear list:GeraldW's gear list
Canon PowerShot A710 IS Canon PowerShot S90 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ150 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200 Canon PowerShot G15 +1 more
JoePhoto
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,573
Like?
In reply to skuzzzzy, Apr 22, 2013

I am hoping for a WIDER lens.

I currenly have the Nikon P500 (22mm) and use the wide-angle more than I do the tele.

Before the P500 I had the Sony HX100 (24mm) but notice and appreciate the extra wide I am now getting.

Actually in my SLR days, my favorite lens was 14mm, and really miss it.

-- hide signature --

Thanks for reading .... JoePhoto
( Do You Ever STOP to THINK --- and FORGET to START Again ??? )

capnblinski
Contributing MemberPosts: 525Gear list
Like?
In reply to skuzzzzy, Apr 22, 2013

skuzzzzy wrote:

Will be purchasing a panasonic fz200 or sony hx200v/hx300 soon, would hate to purchase one then the fz250 release shortly there after, any idea if the fz250 will be arriving anytime soon?

I for one can't wait to see the next iteration in the FZ

Just with here with 200 -- who'd ever had imagined an f/2.8 25-600 lens for $500 -- and a Leica to boot!

- dave

capnblinski's gear list:capnblinski's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200 +1 more
Frederick M
Regular MemberPosts: 119Gear list
Like?
In reply to capnblinski, Apr 22, 2013

I am waiting for the FZ50 to be revived, modernized

"an artist, a man, a failure, must proceed" e e cummings

Frederick M's gear list:Frederick M's gear list
Leica V-LUX 1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ20 Canon PowerShot G12 Canon PowerShot G1 X Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX7
Hatstand
Contributing MemberPosts: 577
Like?
Re: I'll speculate
In reply to loafer, Apr 22, 2013

loafer wrote:

Wifi

GPS

Better panorama

Touchscreen

Eye proximity sensor

Personally, I don't want/need any of that, and I'd stick to FZ200 if those were the only "improvements".

Maybe some of those HDR and low light multi-shot modes seen in some of the Sony Models.

Different processing - maybe a new Venus version - but that is not seen in the newer panasonic cameras yet.

Those would be nice...

It will not have a larger sensor.

If they get more zoom it will not remain 2.8 throughout the whole range.

More MP is possible - there are up to 18 MP on this size sensor.

I think a slightly larger sensor is at least possible eg. 1/2 size like the latest Fuji, but keep the same MP for a tad more IQ. (I have no particular interest in more MP)

If they did increase sensor size, I'd rather see a slightly bigger camera than reduced zoom.

I remain hopeful for 1/1.7 like the LX7 (with built-in ND filter!) but stretched to reach 20x zoom and preferably more. f1.4-f2.3 max aperture like the LX7 would still be faster than the FZ200 at the long end.

I hope we will see Panasonic's new light splitters replacing the Bayer filters, making the camera roughly another stop faster.

I don't want to see a higher resolution rear screen - the hi-res EVF can become an unusable blur when panning with fast-moving subjects, and I don't want to see the rear screen go the same way.

I would like them to do something about remembering the 1-area box size - just saving it in C1/C2 would be sufficient for me.

GeraldW
Like?
Re: I'll speculate - some math
In reply to Hatstand, Apr 22, 2013

I did a little calculation on the effect of a 1/1.7" sensor.  First off, though, the LX7 uses a smaller sensor than the G15, although both are called 1/1.7".  The so called "crop factor" on a 1/2.33" sensor is about 5.56x, for the LX7, it's 5.08x, and for the G15 it's 4.59x.  You find the crop factor by dividing the equivalent focal length (90 mm for the LX7) by the actual (17.7 in the LX7).

To keep the same equivalent focal length in the FZ??? if using the LX7 sensor, To get 600 mm, we'd need 118.1 mm actual.  And to keep f/2.8, we'd need a 42.1 mm objective lens or larger.  Currently it's 38.57 mm or larger.  Just a guess, but it would probably mean going to a 55 or 58 mm filter size. to avoid vignetting, and that would mean a larger outer lens housing on the body.

With a G15 size sensor, the actual focal length needs to be 130.7 mm, and at f/2.8 that's a 46.68 mm objective lens, minimum, so you're definitely into a larger filter size.  But if we compromise on an f/3.5 aperture, the objective can be 37.34 mm and we're back to FZ200 sized parts, with maybe a little more lens extension at 600 mm.  That's a reasonable compromise, and would make a great camera if they could equal the G15's noise levels at ISO 1600 and 3200.

I'm not an optical engineer (I am an engineer, though) by any means, so any conclusions about the effects of going wider are more speculative.  Going wider than the current 25 mm would probably mean a more complex design and more elements with greater curvature.  I'd have to think that you'd have soft corners and edges, and maybe lower light transmission.  The F# of a lens is simply the focal length divided by the entrance pupil.  There is another number, the T#; which is the actual light transmission of the lens.  The T# is always slower than the F#.  As a rough rule of thumb, the T# is related to the number of groups in the lens design.  So if the lens is more complex, you may find that the f/2.8 lens only transmits light as if it were and f/3.5 or even an f/4.  Years ago, Modern Photography magazine published measurements of T# and you could see a rough correlation between lens design and the difference between F# and T#.

Bottom line here, you need to be careful what you wish for.

-- hide signature --

Jerry

Canon PowerShot A710 IS Canon PowerShot S90 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ150 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200 Canon PowerShot G15 +1 more
Hatstand
Contributing MemberPosts: 577
Like?
In reply to GeraldW, Apr 22, 2013

GeraldW wrote:

I did a little calculation on the effect of a 1/1.7" sensor.  First off, though, the LX7 uses a smaller sensor than the G15, although both are called 1/1.7".  The so called "crop factor" on a 1/2.33" sensor is about 5.56x, for the LX7, it's 5.08x, and for the G15 it's 4.59x.  You find the crop factor by dividing the equivalent focal length (90 mm for the LX7) by the actual (17.7 in the LX7).

To keep the same equivalent focal length in the FZ??? if using the LX7 sensor, To get 600 mm, we'd need 118.1 mm actual.  And to keep f/2.8, we'd need a 42.1 mm objective lens or larger.  Currently it's 38.57 mm or larger.  Just a guess, but it would probably mean going to a 55 or 58 mm filter size. to avoid vignetting, and that would mean a larger outer lens housing on the body.

--

Jerry

That's interesting stuff.

So if I undertsand all that correctly, if Panasonic went from 1/2.3" to 1/2" like the Fuji HS50... crop factor would become 5.41... to keep 600mm equivelent, we'd need 111mm actual... and f2.8 at max zoom would require 39.6mm objective (currently 38.6.)

That doesn't "seem" like much of an increase in diameter... but I don't know if they could wring any extra IQ out of such a small amount of extra sensor area, to make it worthwhile.

Personally, I'd accept quite a bit more increase in overall size, if it gave us an even faster lens. (Or significantly higher IQ, but given the choice I'd take faster lens first). I doubt they will Go Large anytime soon though - I'm thinking they won't do anything that would result in a lens conversion tube exceeding 55mm threads... since that would mean making a new teleconverter to match :-P)

By the way, do you also know what the problem is, allowing bigger apertures at wide angle? I mean, what stops Panasonic eg. keeping everything as it is in the FZ200... but making it f1.4 - f2.8? (ie. f1.4 maximum aperture at 25mm equivelent)

GeraldW
Like?
In reply to Hatstand, Apr 22, 2013

I don't know a lot about lens design; but going to a bigger aperture; particularly at wide angle, makes if harder to get the image sharp on a flat surface, like the surface of a sensor of film.  The image really wants to be on a part of a sphere, and you have to work hard to correct the image to be sharp across a flat surface.  Doing that in a long zoom is quite a feat.  To keep image quality high across the frame, you'd probably have to compromise between speed and how wide angle it is.

I'm not a fan of wide angle, so I'd be perfectly happy stopping at 35 mm, equivalent, using a larger sensor, making the long end longer to maybe 750 -800 mm, and compromising on the aperture at full zoom to maybe f/3.5-4 to get it.

One of the problems I see with superzooms is that people want everything in the same camera.  One of the strengths of the FZ50 was that there were many fewer compromises made in the design for wide angle, maximum zoom, video, etc.  I am amazed the engineers have done as well as they have; given all the stuff thay have to cram in.

On travel, I always take at least two cameras, and often three, so I have a variety of properties, and also a back up.  Currently that would be my Canon S90, G15, and SX260HS, and my Panasonic FZ150.  If the FZ only went to 35 mm, I'd just slip the S90 or SX260HS in my pocket.  For speed, there's the S90 and G15.  I'd rather carry two cameras than have my superzoom be compromised.  For me, the superzoom is not a "do everything" camera, it's a specialty tool for nature and wildlife.  Unfortunately, all the current ones are trying to do everything so I have to accept the compromises.
--
Jerry

SteveJolly
New MemberPosts: 1
Like?
Re: You'll speculate
In reply to morepix, 11 months ago

morepix wrote:

Well done! Your speculation plus $3.00 will buy a tall latte any day at Starbucks.

Wow! Your mileage may REALLY vary. I just tried your offer. They charged me $3.50, the latte was intentionally scummy, and the barista was really nasty 'cause she'd bought an FZ200 just last week.

I've already lined up a buyer for my FZ200 - conditional on the FZ2xx being announced in late July and available by mid-September.

Budget does matter to me. However, if they add even a few of the bumps-up that loafer listed, budget doesn't matter enough to keep me from groaning and making out another check to Panasonic. They are on the right track, and my 200 is the fourth FZ-series that I've owned in the past seven years. I've only regretted one of them.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads