Fiddle with NIK software

Started Apr 21, 2013 | Discussions
tony field
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,899
Like?
Fiddle with NIK software
Apr 21, 2013

I have been playing with the NIK software - using the basic presets with minor variations.  I quite like it - sort of different

-- hide signature --
leroyvanhee
Senior MemberPosts: 1,823
Like?
Re: Fiddle with NIK software
In reply to tony field, Apr 21, 2013

Nik was recently bought by Google and their software price was substantially reduced. They used to have 2 versions, one was used as a plug-in for Photoshop and the other was a standalone. The plug-in was more expensive and could process images as PS objects. I use mine frequently because it's an easy way to get some powerful results. Effects can be painted on part of your image so you can reduce noise in some parts and retain fine detail in another. I use Tone Contrast quite a bit to punch up clouds and hazy mountains, etc. You can reduce any effect by adjusting the opacity of the change layer in PS, or add a layer mask to suit.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
ASR45
Forum ProPosts: 32,924Gear list
Like?
In reply to tony field, Apr 22, 2013

Me to.  

-- hide signature --

Alan.
It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt.
Mark Twain

ASR45's gear list:ASR45's gear list
Canon PowerShot G16 Canon PowerShot G12 Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EOS 6D Canon EOS 7D Mark II +3 more
gavin
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,301Gear list
Like?
In reply to ASR45, Apr 22, 2013

+1 used with Lightroom. I especially like the Silver Efex Pro. There is a good guide to the software by Jason Odell that you can buy too. I am reading through it.

-- hide signature --

What camera do I have? I rather you look at my photos www.flickr.com/photos/gavinz

gavin's gear list:gavin's gear list
Sony RX100 Pentax WG-3 Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF 24-70mm f/2.8L USM +2 more
Schwany
Veteran MemberPosts: 9,732Gear list
Like?
Pretty good fiddling
In reply to tony field, Apr 23, 2013

Great software with a who knows what future. However, I think it's still worth owning as it is right now. As mentioned, the brush works intuitively, unlike with one other popular but very non-intuitive set of plug-ins I will not mention.

Schwany's gear list:Schwany's gear list
Canon EOS-1Ds Mark II Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS-1D Mark IV Canon EOS-1D X Canon EF 24mm f/1.4L II USM +14 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads