Why NEX-6 Movie has horrible color

Started Apr 21, 2013 | Discussions
Einst Stein
Contributing MemberPosts: 583
Like?
Why NEX-6 Movie has horrible color
Apr 21, 2013

I accompanied with a friend for shopping a digital camera. The requirements include built-in eye level view finder, buil-in flash, 1920x1080 video, and capable of using Zeiss ZM lenses. There aren't many choices. He pretty much settled on Nex-6 but with some reservation for Lumix G5. He told me he could wait for EOS-M if Canon will soon offer the next model that can match his requirements.

We did some test shoots with the kit lens and his ZM 21mm/2.8.  To our surprise, the Nex-6's movie has horrible color. It's much worse than even Sony's point and shoot such as TX9, and far far inferior to Lumix FZ200. We went back to the store, assuming it's the user's setting problem, but the store told us that's what the Nex-6 is supposed to be and showed us Sony's advertisement on Youtube.

Yes, it does not looks better. and that is even shot by two profesional photographers, one of them's name  Lucas Rossini ( never heard of, but we are ignorant anyway), (try youtube, look for Nex-6, Alaska). We searched for many other youtube video's shot by Nex-6. It's pretty much what it is.

For curiosity, we also looked for Lumix G5 and FZ200 video on youtube. we found Mel Karch (G5, outdoors), Kinimatmobile01 (G5, Cat), raid0804 (G5, flower),  Lu Browning (FZ200, bird). Manyof these are not even shot by professionals.

Can anyone recommend some youtube footage shot by Nex 6 or 7 or any Nex that look better or on par with the G5 sample footage I listed.

What do I mean by "better", doesn't matter, use your judge.  Thanks.

Oh, by the way, Nex's kit lens is a junk. Nowhere close to G5's kit lens, even though G5's kit lens is nothing to be praised either.

Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G5 Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-TX9
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Mel Snyder
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,004Gear list
Like?
Re: Why NEX-6 Movie has horrible color
In reply to Einst Stein, Apr 21, 2013

Don't buy it. You will only be unhappy and fill this forum with trash-talk. Your message doesn't seek illumination, just attention. You've got it. Success.

I've just tested the video briefly with my NEX-6 because the camera has no mike input, and thus isn't a serious video camera. It looked OK, at least through the Leica M glass I use. I shoot with a D7000, and get my stuff on CBS Sunday Morning, PBS, local TV and client web sites.

As for the kit lens, that's a favorite bash subject here. Me, I got a good one, and don't know what the bashers are talking about.

Mel Snyder's gear list:Mel Snyder's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony Alpha 7 Sony E 16mm F2.8 Pancake Tokina AT-X Pro 11-16mm f/2.8 DX Leica Summicron-M 50mm f/2 +13 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
nevada5
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,876Gear list
Like?

Einst Stein wrote:

I accompanied with a friend for shopping a digital camera. The requirements include built-in eye level view finder, buil-in flash, 1920x1080 video, and capable of using Zeiss ZM lenses. There aren't many choices. He pretty much settled on Nex-6 but with some reservation for Lumix G5. He told me he could wait for EOS-M if Canon will soon offer the next model that can match his requirements.

We did some test shoots with the kit lens and his ZM 21mm/2.8.  To our surprise, the Nex-6's movie has horrible color. It's much worse than even Sony's point and shoot such as TX9, and far far inferior to Lumix FZ200. We went back to the store, assuming it's the user's setting problem, but the store told us that's what the Nex-6 is supposed to be and showed us Sony's advertisement on Youtube.

Yes, it does not looks better. and that is even shot by two profesional photographers, one of them's name  Lucas Rossini ( never heard of, but we are ignorant anyway), (try youtube, look for Nex-6, Alaska). We searched for many other youtube video's shot by Nex-6. It's pretty much what it is.

For curiosity, we also looked for Lumix G5 and FZ200 video on youtube. we found Mel Karch (G5, outdoors), Kinimatmobile01 (G5, Cat), raid0804 (G5, flower),  Lu Browning (FZ200, bird). Manyof these are not even shot by professionals.

Can anyone recommend some youtube footage shot by Nex 6 or 7 or any Nex that look better or on par with the G5 sample footage I listed.

Oh, by the way, Nex's kit lens is a junk. Nowhere close to G5's kit lens, even though G5's kit lens is nothing to be praised either.

Why does it have horrible color?

-- hide signature --

Hey, it ain't rocket surgery.
I'm experimenting with Quantum Physics and I just discovered that I can completely destr

wwwOKCOMEONcom
Regular MemberPosts: 426
Like?

I am eager to know the performance of the 21mm ZM
(PHOTO & VIDEO)

Einst Stein
Like?
In reply to Mel Snyder, Apr 21, 2013

No mic is not a problem.A nice video footage usually comes with background music anyway.

As of the is=mage qualiy, could you share your work? or give a pointer to your work that went to CBS, etc.? Thanks.

Einst Stein
Like?
In reply to nevada5, Apr 21, 2013

You are welcome to take a look at the youtube I listed. You'll be the judge.

Einst Stein
Like?
In reply to wwwOKCOMEONcom, Apr 21, 2013
Einst Stein
Like?
In reply to Mel Snyder, Apr 21, 2013

I just looked at your pictures taken with Nex-6. wonderful.

I don't see any problem with Nex-6 on still photo. It's the movie that's awful.

Do you have any movie to share?

CosmoZooo
Regular MemberPosts: 446
Like?

OK let's see it - post the links to the samples you're referring to that show some of that horrible color. Heck I might shot one tomorrow with that horrible kit lens and post a link.

Or how about these - some of my favorite I've seen online These have been done with that horrible 16-50.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sZ8v2zzItis

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=72OFC1kpgjw

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TUkxIzSxGUI

Seeing that horrible color you've been talking about?

As to FZ200...the video samples I've seen pale in comparison to NEX-6. The dynamic range of FZ200 sensor is way under what NEX is capable of so the colors are not as vibrant and highlight are easily blown: white sky and all...I can even search and give you that link if you want.

So if you want to be taken seriously let's see those links to the horrible NEX color...because I am certainly not on the same page with you.

blue_skies
Senior MemberPosts: 6,343Gear list
Like?

Einst Stein wrote:

We did some test shoots with the kit lens and his ZM 21mm/2.8.

The ZM and CV RF lenses have a different lens (color) coating than the E- and A-mount lenses. This shows as a color temp shift to the blue spectrum, ie. the pictures will look somewhat cooler. Easiest, for video, is to adjust your WB to the yellow, you can get the colors to match exactly that way.

See the two images below.

To our surprise, the Nex-6's movie has horrible color. It's much worse than even Sony's point and shoot such as TX9, and far far inferior to Lumix FZ200. We went back to the store, assuming it's the user's setting problem, but the store told us that's what the Nex-6 is supposed to be and showed us Sony's advertisement on Youtube.

Is your monitor settings wrong perhaps?  They look fine to me, on multiple monitors.

Here is a direct link, and I see no weirdness in colors at all:

You lost me here. Are you just here to make a statement? Or do you have an actual point (and evidence to back it up)?

If you had spent just a few minutes looking around you'd have seen how well the Nex kit lens is actually performing. Oh, and by the way, 'official' reviewers are saying so too.

Blue Color shift with ZM and CV RF lenses

AWB with E-mount lenses

-- hide signature --

Cheers,
Henry

blue_skies's gear list:blue_skies's gear list
Canon PowerShot S95 Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony Alpha 7 Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS +27 more
Sk8trguy
Regular MemberPosts: 293
Like?
thanks for this important information

Einst Stein wrote:

i am sure there are others considering the nex 6 for video, and this may be valuable to them.  beware though, as you have already found, there are some that would rather hide what was found and attack the poster/shoot the messenger.  to be fair the nex 6 video not terrible and witht he right lens is better in lower light.

oh- after a quick search - is the g5 almost a gh2 but with better colors?  the gh2 video quality is sick (slang for crazy, cool, insane )

nevercat
Senior MemberPosts: 1,575
Like?
Help us to help you, when you realy want help...

Einst Stein wrote:

First, color is very personal, look how people set their TV sets, some set them over saturated, others almost at B&W, some tune in to much red, others to much red etc.. So tell us what you do not like about the colors.

Second the Alaska movie, did you realy watched it till the end? If you did you would have seen that it was shot excusevly with the Nex7 not with the Nex 6...

Better then what and in what way. I like the colors in this video, so again what is it you do not like?

what do yo like better in the colors of these movies? I've looked at them and do not find it much better then the colors in the Alaska video. But remember that light is quite different iaat different places of the world, at different times of the day and at different weather conditions.

Not as long as you do not tell what you are looking for.

When you like your G5 better go for that camera, you have to live with it. When you realy want help come back with real questions, not just statements

blue_skies
Senior MemberPosts: 6,343Gear list
Like?
Re: Check the 40+ videos that I uploaded to youtube ....
In reply to Sk8trguy, Apr 21, 2013

Sk8trguy wrote:

i am sure there are others considering the nex 6 for video, and this may be valuable to them.  beware though, as you have already found, there are some that would rather hide what was found and attack the poster/shoot the messenger.  to be fair the nex 6 video not terrible and witht he right lens is better in lower light.

And you know all this because ..... ?

oh- after a quick search - is the g5 almost a gh2 but with better colors?  the gh2 video quality is sick (slang for crazy, cool, insane )

Ok, search youtube for Blue888Skies (nighttime) and BlueSkies8888 (daytime/test), you'll find varying videos.

Search result 1: http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=blue888skies

http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=blueskies8888Search result 2: 

Lastly, big-sensor video is more tricky if handheld and using a fast lens, because of the shallower DOF, but it makes for more impressive handheld low light videos if you can use it to your advantage.

Rather than the mentioned GHx cameras, I would just go for a compact handycam, much easier with much larger DOF in broad daylight, incorporating Sony's newest OSS solution, BOS, in which the entire lens assembly is movement corrected, and removes all camera shake handheld:

• "Sony's Balanced Optical SteadyShot has been perhaps one of the camcorder industry's greatest innovations in recent years, delivering a much smoother handheld picture by moving the entire lens module, rather than specific elements, to compensate for shake."
-- hide signature --

Cheers,
Henry

blue_skies's gear list:blue_skies's gear list
Canon PowerShot S95 Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony Alpha 7 Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS +27 more
Section10
Contributing MemberPosts: 564Gear list
Like?
In reply to blue_skies, Apr 21, 2013

Does the OP intend to honestly ask why he isn't getting results he'd like or is he suggesting that an entire line of cameras has horrible color for video and that seemed to slip beneath every one of ours and reviewers radars?

Section10's gear list:Section10's gear list
Sony RX100 Sony RX1R Sony Alpha NEX-5 Canon EOS 6D Canon EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6L IS USM +2 more
Einst Stein
Like?
In reply to CosmoZooo, Apr 21, 2013

Your girl is pretty and sexy, but not your landscape. The sea color is dull.

Einst Stein
Like?

The Alaska footage is exactly the one I mentioned and referred by the store. It seems this is the best that Sony want to advertise.

We didn't compare with EOS-M since it does not have a built-in viewfinder yet. You should compare with Lumix G5 or G3.

I'm lack of word to describe it, but everyone can see the footage. One thing I can point out is, the grass is fresh and live in G5, but not so in Nex. And yes, your EOS-M is the worst.

Also, your EOS-M shot seems a little less exposed than your Nex shot, I also feel your Nex shot seems purposely tuned towards the dark. Now with more look into it, I think Nex does not behave well around the mid tone.

Overall, it seems NEX's movie has a lot of in0camera tweak in the coloring, and yet, a lot of post-tweak is still required. There is nothing wrong with it, but I don't see that in the youtube G5 shots. Maybe the G5 shots also have been heavily tweaked?

My friend does not think it worth the trouble to ask this on internet, he is considering whether to try the same test on G5 or just wait for the new EOS-M. I, instead, couldn't believe it should just end here for such an expected and expensive camera. There might be an explanation and a solution.

I just want to see if anyone can share his Nex-6 movie that demonstrate its strength. I understand there is some room for the personal taste, maybe this is it, but certainly I hope not.

It is also interesting that Nex-6's coloring in the still picture is very different from the movie. The still picture is very pleasing ..., smooth, while the movie is very harsh. For those of you do not have Nex-6, you can search flickr for comparison.

Einst Stein
Like?

Lastly, big-sensor video is more tricky if handheld and using a fast lens, because of the shallower DOF,

This is the nonsense when Canon announced 5DII's movie. The shallower DOF is the result of the lens not the sensor. Put on the Leica or Zeiss lens on 5Dx does not make shallower DOF than to put it on EOS-M or NEX-6 or G5.

sasoph
Regular MemberPosts: 205Gear list
Like?
Re: Help us to help you, when you realy want help...
In reply to nevercat, Apr 21, 2013

nevercat wrote:

Second the Alaska movie, did you realy watched it till the end? If you did you would have seen that it was shot excusevly with the Nex7 not with the Nex 6...

100% correct. Luca Rossini [1] wrote:

"Mike Palmieri and I were sent on a real-life adventure into the Alaskan Wilderness with the mission to capture the best photo of the trip.

We were completely alone – except for the presence of a small film crew who were documenting the adventure."

"Filmed exclusively using the NEX-7" shown at the end of the behind the scenes footage. So the NEX-6 was for stills, the NEX-7 for video. Perhaps the NEX-6's video bugs hadn't been ironed out at that time.

1 - not Lucas as per the OP.

sasoph's gear list:sasoph's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-7 Canon TS-E 90mm f/2.8 Canon MP-E 65mm f/2.5 1-5x Macro Canon TS-E 24mm f/3.5L II +8 more
sasoph
Regular MemberPosts: 205Gear list
Like?

Einst Stein wrote:

blue_skies wrote:

Lastly, big-sensor video is more tricky if handheld and using a fast lens, because of the shallower DOF,

This is the nonsense when Canon announced 5DII's movie. The shallower DOF is the result of the lens not the sensor. Put on the Leica or Zeiss lens on 5Dx does not make shallower DOF than to put it on EOS-M or NEX-6 or G5.

Oh gawd! I'll get the popcorn.

sasoph's gear list:sasoph's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-7 Canon TS-E 90mm f/2.8 Canon MP-E 65mm f/2.5 1-5x Macro Canon TS-E 24mm f/3.5L II +8 more
Einst Stein
Like?
Re: Help us to help you, when you realy want help...
In reply to nevercat, Apr 21, 2013

I didn't notice that the Alask footage is not enitirely the Nex's result. I'm not sure about it.

If you already own a NEX and love it. If you don;'t want to know the difference that G5 can offer, fine, don't bother. But if are interested in what I said, just check out the movie and see what I mean.

But it does not matter to me. All I'm asking is if anyone can point out more Nex-6's movie that shows its different character. I'm not interested in any more explanation why Nex-6 isn't what I've seen or why it's is good that way. I'm only interested in what what you'd suggest.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads