Why I HATE the term "capture" for taking a photo...

Started Apr 21, 2013 | Discussions
nomad147
Contributing MemberPosts: 512
Like?
Re: Why I HATE the term "capture" for taking a photo...
In reply to Paul Farace, Apr 22, 2013

when i went to school for photography way back in 1988, the term that was used by my instructors was "capture" as in capturing light. The term has been around long before the hipsters got a hold of it lol.

-- hide signature --

wssa member #320PX

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Draek
Senior MemberPosts: 2,028Gear list
Like?

So... hunting takes no skill at all, and if you come back with a prey it's solely because you lucked out? something tells me you've never hunted yourself.

So no, using the term "capture" is not a slam against the photographer, but your being offended by it might likely be one against hunters.

Draek's gear list:Draek's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix F70EXR Samsung TL500 Canon PowerShot A1200 Sony Alpha DSLR-A390
jess shudup
Regular MemberPosts: 449
Like?
Re: Who said anything about photoshop?
In reply to Richard, Apr 22, 2013

Covered Parking II

It follows then that writers aren't creative, because they are just using words that already exist- merely putting the words in different order?

But to be creative, the writer makes up new words?

Mark B.
Forum ProPosts: 14,425
Like?
Be sure you have the right lense for the capture (nt)
In reply to jess shudup, Apr 22, 2013

Doss
Senior MemberPosts: 1,026
Like?
In reply to Draek, Apr 22, 2013

I believe Rattymouse is correct. Or more precisely: it refers to capturing a moment in time.

I also agree with Busch!

But>>> if we're on the subject of 'hating' terms may I nominate:

1)'AWESOME' for an image that does not fill one with awe, and

2) 'STROBISTS' for people who shoot single exposure flash rather than sequentially fired flashes.

-- hide signature --
Dreemer
Regular MemberPosts: 198Gear list
Like?
Re: Yes i did, i created the image

Richard wrote:

Dreemer wrote:

Richard wrote:

Dreemer wrote:

Paul Farace wrote:

Maybe I am not looking at it the right way...   input?

-- hide signature --

Holding a camera, any camera, reduces my blood pressure, calms my nerves, and gives me a sense of opportunity!

I think Creation would be a more realistic description than Capture.

Creation encompasses the whole process from start to finish, (wherever you start, wherever you finish). As i see it Capture is one part of the creation, the Capture being the stored data in the raw file or the unprocessed negative.

SteveMi

You take a picture of creation. It was created, you only captured a tiny piece of it. You may edit your picture just as a farmer might farm his crops, but he did not create them, at best he augmented the process by supplying more consistent water, fertilizer or even pest control but had no hand in the creative processes.

As a photographer you create nothing. You capture an image. Even if you manipulate it you did not create it. It was already created. IMHO

If i take a hammer, chisel and a block of stone (none of which i created) and chip away at the stone i create a sculpture. In the same way using the camera/lens, light and editing tools (none of which i created) i create an image. Both the sculpture and the image exist only as an idea in my mind until my actions bring them into being. Images don’t exist until a lens creates them.

SteveMi

Well then by using your logic, I would say you did not create the picture, the camera created the picture. You just pressed the button.

Cameras are not self aware and cannot self operate, the lens (created/built by man) creates the image, i decide on the settings and processing, the result is my creation.

The creative part is where you place the camera which I would say is creative, but it is not creating something.

Yes it is creating something, the lens is what creates the image, an image of a subject don’t exist until a lens is pointed at said subject.

SteveMi

Dreemer's gear list:Dreemer's gear list
Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS
JulesJ
Forum ProPosts: 32,329
Like?

Paul Farace wrote:

I see an increasing number of "hipster" photo folks talking about what a neat CAPTURE an image is... as if you set a trap and a mouse tripped a wire and ended up in a cage. That is a total slam against a photographer... even the most casual picture taken has some level of input from the photographer... even if it's the choice of lens (wide vs. the perspective-compacting effect of a telephoto) or lighting choice (stobe vs. none), or camera position ...  Even if you try to be neutral in your effect of recording something, you can not help but effect the final outcome in some way. I would consider someone referring to my images as "captures" as in effect saying, you totally lucked out and accidentally caught those images...

Or capture might apply if you set up remote operated and self-triggered camera in the woods to record a hungry herd of deer, or a wild shot of a raccoon.

-- hide signature --

Holding a camera, any camera, reduces my blood pressure, calms my nerves, and gives me a sense of opportunity!

I agree. What was wrong with good old take. I never use the word capture.

Omexis
Regular MemberPosts: 258Gear list
Like?

I'm new to the world of photography, and I find myself using the word "Capture" for when I take a photography, it's just something I never really thought about before I read this thread. What would all the old school users use to describe taking an image??

-- hide signature --

Steve

Omexis's gear list:Omexis's gear list
Sigma DP2 Merrill Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM Tamron SP 150-600mm F/5-6.3 Di VC USD Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 5
skanter
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,412Gear list
Like?
Useful term

Capture refers to the part of the process of the actual shooting of the photo. Post-processing refers to editing after the capture. Printing is another step in the process.

IMO the term is quite useful. I don't think the OP fully understands its meaning.

-- hide signature --

Sam K., NYC

skanter's gear list:skanter's gear list
Canon EOS 60D Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Canon EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM Sigma 18-200mm F3.5-6.3 DC OS HSM +4 more
Richard
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,573
Like?
Re: Who said anything about photoshop?
In reply to jess shudup, Apr 22, 2013

jess shudup wrote:

Covered Parking II

It follows then that writers aren't creative, because they are just using words that already exist- merely putting the words in different order?

As far as I know writers write. I wrote a book yesterday and it was creative. Does not mean the person actually created something.

But to be creative, the writer makes up new words?

You could create a new oral or written language, but you would write a book that uses the creative process without actually creating anything. You wrote a book. Now if you printed the book, bound the book you created a book. But you did not write the book.

You took the picture above, you did not create the parking garage, someone could walk up behind you and take the exact same picture, they no more created anything than you did, though they might have copied your idea or perspective.

Richard
Like?
In reply to Dreemer, Apr 22, 2013

Dreemer wrote:

Richard wrote:

Dreemer wrote:

Richard wrote:

Dreemer wrote:

Paul Farace wrote:

-- hide signature --

I think Creation would be a more realistic description than Capture.

Creation encompasses the whole process from start to finish, (wherever you start, wherever you finish). As i see it Capture is one part of the creation, the Capture being the stored data in the raw file or the unprocessed negative.

SteveMi

You take a picture of creation. It was created, you only captured a tiny piece of it. You may edit your picture just as a farmer might farm his crops, but he did not create them, at best he augmented the process by supplying more consistent water, fertilizer or even pest control but had no hand in the creative processes.

As a photographer you create nothing. You capture an image. Even if you manipulate it you did not create it. It was already created. IMHO

If i take a hammer, chisel and a block of stone (none of which i created) and chip away at the stone i create a sculpture. In the same way using the camera/lens, light and editing tools (none of which i created) i create an image. Both the sculpture and the image exist only as an idea in my mind until my actions bring them into being. Images don’t exist until a lens creates them.

SteveMi

Well then by using your logic, I would say you did not create the picture, the camera created the picture. You just pressed the button.

Cameras are not self aware and cannot self operate, the lens (created/built by man) creates the image, i decide on the settings and processing, the result is my creation.

Cameras are not self aware, though they take pictures all by themselves being instructed or told by a computer to do it. The computer no more created anything using a camera by sending a signal to the camera to fire than the human that pulled the trigger.

The creative part is where you place the camera which I would say is creative, but it is not creating something.

Yes it is creating something, the lens is what creates the image, an image of a subject don’t exist until a lens is pointed at said subject.

SteveMi

I agree the camera, not you created a picture, You may have pointed it in some direction but the camera created a bitmap or jpg. you just pressed a button. Again there may be a creative process in selecting the subject, perspective or even editing the image created by the camera. But you created nothing. The camera created a jpeg, the printer created a print, they created something. You pointed the camera and pressed a button.

bosjohn21
Senior MemberPosts: 4,246
Like?
In reply to Omexis, Apr 22, 2013

Omexis wrote:

I'm new to the world of photography, and I find myself using the word "Capture" for when I take a photography, it's just something I never really thought about before I read this thread. What would all the old school users use to describe taking an image??

-- hide signature --

Steve

I am about as oldster as it gets at 71 oh I am sure there are a few older but I use capture for many years. But now I will be sure to use it just to p--s off the nay sayers who started what has to be one of the most purile and sllly threads I have seen

-- hide signature --

John aka bosjohn21

Dreemer
Regular MemberPosts: 198Gear list
Like?

Richard wrote:

Dreemer wrote:

Cameras are not self aware, though they take pictures all by themselves being instructed or told by a computer to do it. The computer no more created anything using a camera by sending a signal to the camera to fire than the human that pulled the trigger.

SteveMi

I agree the camera, not you created a picture, You may have pointed it in some direction but the camera created a bitmap or jpg. you just pressed a button. Again there may be a creative process in selecting the subject, perspective or even editing the image created by the camera. But you created nothing. The camera created a jpeg, the printer created a print, they created something. You pointed the camera and pressed a button.

I guess we will have to agree to disagree on this issue

Best wishes Richard

SteveMi

Dreemer's gear list:Dreemer's gear list
Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS
jess shudup
Like?
Re: Wrong, wrong, and wrong again

You took the picture above, you did not create the parking garage, someone could walk up behind you and take the exact same picture, they no more created anything than you did, though they might have copied your idea or perspective.

I created the image, I created the title, and no, someone could not walk up behind me and take the same picture.

(What is it a picture of, anyway?)

Hell, I can't even take the same picture.

Do you have any idea of what you are seeing, much less saying?

BTW- I listened to Beethoven.  What a crock.  I've heard all those notes before. He didn't create a darn thing.

Klaus dk
Senior MemberPosts: 2,300Gear list
Like?
Re: OK take another Zoloft and sing Kumbaya...

Paul Farace wrote:

It's a word... an editiorial expression!  That's all... Don't go Ultra PC Nazi on us here!

Well, so is capture, and that you seem to take pretty seriously

Klaus dk's gear list:Klaus dk's gear list
Canon PowerShot S100 Canon EOS 7D Canon EF 35mm f/2.0 Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Canon EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM +6 more
Omexis
Regular MemberPosts: 258Gear list
Like?
In reply to bosjohn21, Apr 22, 2013

bosjohn21 wrote:

Omexis wrote:

-- hide signature --

Steve

I am about as oldster as it gets at 71 oh I am sure there are a few older but I use capture for many years. But now I will be sure to use it just to p--s off the nay sayers who started what has to be one of the most purile and sllly threads I have seen

-- hide signature --

John aka bosjohn21

I didn't meaning that in the oldest sense, just the most experienced, but I will continue to use the word "capture" because that's what I am doing, "Capturing" a photograph

-- hide signature --

Steve

Omexis's gear list:Omexis's gear list
Sigma DP2 Merrill Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM Tamron SP 150-600mm F/5-6.3 Di VC USD Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 5
Richard
Like?
In reply to Dreemer, Apr 22, 2013

Dreemer wrote:

Richard wrote:

I guess we will have to agree to disagree on this issue

Best wishes Richard

SteveMi

I guess we will have to disagree. Although you might make a good argument that you "created" the image Lies Inc. photographing the invisible man. But you might argue you cannot photograph something that is invisible

Richard
Like?
In reply to jess shudup, Apr 23, 2013

jess shudup wrote:

I created the image, I created the title, and no, someone could not walk up behind me and take the same picture.

If you shot the image from a camera, I would say you photographed it, or shot it or maybe even "captured" it (which as I explore this idea. capture may be a perfect word, because create does not fit.

(What is it a picture of, anyway?)

It appears to be a group of windows that have been captured in a reflection in a piece of glass. The is a secondary piece of glass and refection of windows that is also in the first reflection.

I would guess, you shot down at an angled piece of glass that angled toward another piece of glass and both point to the windows on the ceiling, unless the picture is upside down then the windows were on the floor.

Hell, I can't even take the same picture.

Do you have any idea of what you are seeing, much less saying?

Regardless of what you photographed it doesn't change anything.

BTW- I listened to Beethoven.  What a crock.  I've heard all those notes before. He didn't create a darn thing.

Did Beethoven take a digital recording device and take an audio snapshot of a song or sound that already existed and say... I created this. No he didn't and a camera like a digital audio recorder records a shapshot of light in a similar way. In both cases, nothing was created, it was recorded.

jess shudup
Like?
In reply to Richard, Apr 23, 2013

Idiot.

Oh wait- did I say that?  I thought I was only thinking that.

My bad.

You are such an idiot even my one-eared dog Vincent agrees.

EquusStorm
Regular MemberPosts: 154Gear list
Like?
In reply to Paul Farace, Apr 23, 2013

I see your point, but I doubt that those commenters are slamming you as a photographer.

I went to a photography class taught by a  world class photojournalist.  He didn't like to refer to "taking" photos, but preferred the term "making" photos.  I see his point too.  It's all semantics,

I think.

EquusStorm's gear list:EquusStorm's gear list
Canon PowerShot A630 Canon EOS 60D
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads