Monitor calibration - single monitor and two computers

Started Apr 21, 2013 | Discussions
andrewnd
New MemberPosts: 24
Like?
Monitor calibration - single monitor and two computers
Apr 21, 2013

Hi,

I've got a Spyder 2 express monitor calibration device that doesn't work with my current computer's setup (I've had a good look on the web - seems to be a fairly common problem with 64 bit windows 7 - emailed Spyder but basically it's not supported on this system).

However, I still have an old computer that the express does work on.

Can I calibrate the monitor on the old computer then transfer the calibration files to the new computer and still have a calibrated monitor? I'd be using the same monitor in both cases. Are profiles only dependent on the monitor or does the computer have an effect too? Is it simple to transfer the calibration?

Cheers,

Andrew

mbernard
Senior MemberPosts: 1,073
Like?
Re: Monitor calibration - single monitor and two computers
In reply to andrewnd, Apr 24, 2013

You cannot do that. The problem lies in that the two computers use different GPUs and if you calibrate one display, the display profile is not suitable for the other.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Sailor Blue
Senior MemberPosts: 6,552Gear list
Like?
In reply to andrewnd, Apr 25, 2013

I recommend you update to a Spyder4Pro or Spyder4Elite since the software for those versions gives you graphical displays that help you manually adjust the monitor brightness, contrast, and individual RGB controls before the software finishes tweaking the settings.  Doing this manual adjustment gives you a better color calibration, and a much more stable one too.

-- hide signature --

Living and loving it in Bangkok, Thailand. Canon 7D - See the gear list for the rest.

Sailor Blue's gear list:Sailor Blue's gear list
Canon EOS 7D +10 more
andrewnd
Like?
In reply to mbernard, Apr 26, 2013

Thanks, I thought this might be an issue.

andrewnd
Like?
In reply to Sailor Blue, Apr 26, 2013

Thanks. Just a bit annoying that the 2 doesn't work on the current setup, makes he hesitant and frustrated to spend the money again.

data color
New MemberPosts: 2
Like?
In reply to andrewnd, 6 months ago

Hi,

Please note, that our Spyder2-products are officially not supported under Windows 7.

Furthermore, this 2nd generation sensor has been construced more than 10 years ago and is therefore no longer compatible with latest display technologies, such as LED-Backlight, Wide-Gammut and screens with a glossy surface as these just did not exist 10 years ago.

However, we tested the latest version of Spyder2Express (2.3.6) under Windows 7 and it worked when you deactivate the UAC. So, please download and install it from here:
http://support.datacolor.com/index.php?/Knowledgebase/Article/View/1445/88/spyder2express-236---win
Please keep in mind that this is not official supported

A Spyder4 would solve all your compatibility issues.

Best regards,

Datacolor Team

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads