X100s Q button not programable

Started Apr 20, 2013 | Discussions
Michael Perham
Senior MemberPosts: 1,062Gear list
Like?
X100s Q button not programable
Apr 20, 2013

I now have my new X100s and very pleased 'cept for one issue.  I am a RAW shooter and on my X100 I used the RAW button exclusively to activate the ND filter.  On the X100s that button is now assigned to the Q menu and the press and hold feature brings up some symbol that I am not sure what it does ...anyway, it is not programmable as was the RAW button so it can not be assigned to activate the ND filter.

I could use the Fn button for that and the Q menu to access the ISO settings, but I do like the direct access provided by a dedicated button.  That means, of course, that I have to go menu diving to activate the ND filter.

Anyone else feel the same about this?  Perhaps if enough folks did raise the issue we could see the Q button become programmable as was it's predecessor RAW button.

Michael Perham's gear list:Michael Perham's gear list
Fujifilm XQ1 Pentax K-3 Pentax smc DA* 16-50mm F2.8 ED AL (IF) SDM Pentax smc DA* 50-135mm F2.8 ED (IF) SDM Pentax smc DA 12-24mm F4.0 ED AL (IF) +2 more
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Fujifilm X100S
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Mehran Khalili
Forum MemberPosts: 65
Like?
Re: X100s Q button not programable
In reply to Michael Perham, Apr 20, 2013

I feel the same - having one-touch access to the ND filter, as well as ISO, was a great feature with the X100.

Auto ISO and using Fn for the ND filter is my workaround for now; hopefully we'll have more customisability in a future FW update.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Jeff Charles
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,278Gear list
Like?
In reply to Mehran Khalili, Apr 20, 2013

Mehran Khalili wrote:

I feel the same - having one-touch access to the ND filter, as well as ISO, was a great feature with the X100.

Auto ISO and using Fn for the ND filter is my workaround for now; hopefully we'll have more customisability in a future FW update.

Auto ISO seems like a good solution to me.

The X100's auto ISO does have two faults: 1) Exposure compensation does not work to affect ISO when using manual shutter speed and aperture, and 2) The fastest minimum shutter speed is only 1/125.

-- hide signature --

Jeff
"Please proceed..."

Jeff Charles's gear list:Jeff Charles's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX100 III Fujifilm X100T Fujifilm X-E2 Sony a6000 +5 more
Fogsville
Contributing MemberPosts: 567
Like?
In reply to Michael Perham, Apr 20, 2013

I agree.  Plus the majority of choices in the Q button menu are for jpegs users only.  The only real thing I find useful with the Q button so far is to be able to quickly change through your different custom presets.

btw, the symbol (when holding down the Q button) represents the bright daylight screen mode; hold it down and the screen goes to bright mode.

I also do what the previous poster does: use the fn for ND and just use auto ISO. ISO is actually an okay compromise to a dedicated ISO button, although I wish there were more shutter speed options available.

There are some good improvements over the X100.  The X100/100S is conceptually an interesting camera but it's somewhat flawed in its execution.  If Fuji sees the X100 series as an evolutionary series (which I think they do), then eventually we'll find close to perfection with some future version.  I'm glad that (so far) they are sticking to the concept and are making evolutionary changes instead of a whole new version of the idea.

lhl
lhl
Junior MemberPosts: 48Gear list
Like?
In reply to Michael Perham, Apr 21, 2013

+1 - I'd love to be able to reassign the Q button to ND filter.  Or at least to add the ND filter to the Q button.  As it is I've set to AutoISO and ND to the fn button (and will use the Q button for ISO control when necessary until fixed)

lhl's gear list:lhl's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Fujifilm X100S Canon EOS 5D Canon EOS 5D Mark III Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH3 +18 more
NachoYogi
Regular MemberPosts: 142Gear list
Like?
In reply to Michael Perham, Apr 21, 2013

I agree,  but I have found that the ability to press and hold the Fn button to bring up the assignability menu to change the FN function between ND filter and ISO is suitably quick. Generally, when I go out during the day I have the FN button set to ND and inside or later in day I switch to ISO. Anyway, it's just a couple quicks and you don't have to do deep menu diving.

I give a +++ to the comment above about having the EV comp dial adjust ISO in full manual mode.

NachoYogi's gear list:NachoYogi's gear list
Canon PowerShot G10 Canon PowerShot S110 Fujifilm X100S Nikon D300S Fujifilm X-Pro1 +4 more
Michael Perham
Like?
In reply to NachoYogi, Apr 21, 2013

NachoYogi wrote:

I agree,  but I have found that the ability to press and hold the Fn button to bring up the assignability menu to change the FN function between ND filter and ISO is suitably quick. Generally, when I go out during the day I have the FN button set to ND and inside or later in day I switch to ISO. Anyway, it's just a couple quicks and you don't have to do deep menu diving.

Well,  you could use the Q button to adjust ISO and dedicate the Fn button to the ND filter also (my approach) but still not the same as having the Q button programmable as was the old RAW button regardless of whether you wish to use it for the ND filter or some other function.

My point is, that for those that  shoot RAW only, the Q menu has little value so give it a secondary function that makes it useful to RAW shooters.

Fujifilm XQ1 Pentax K-3 Pentax smc DA* 16-50mm F2.8 ED AL (IF) SDM Pentax smc DA* 50-135mm F2.8 ED (IF) SDM Pentax smc DA 12-24mm F4.0 ED AL (IF) +2 more
Jeff Charles
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,278Gear list
Like?
In reply to Fogsville, Apr 21, 2013

Fogsville wrote:

I agree.  Plus the majority of choices in the Q button menu are for jpegs users only.  The only real thing I find useful with the Q button so far is to be able to quickly change through your different custom presets.

I don't have an X100s, but according to the manual, the majority of choices for custom settings are also for JPEG users only. Am I missing something?

Also, flash brightness adjustment is still buried in the menus. It should be accessible with the Q button.

-- hide signature --

Jeff
"Please proceed..."

Jeff Charles's gear list:Jeff Charles's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX100 III Fujifilm X100T Fujifilm X-E2 Sony a6000 +5 more
Michael Perham
Like?
In reply to Jeff Charles, Apr 22, 2013

Jeff Charles wrote:

Fogsville wrote:

I don't have an X100s, but according to the manual, the majority of choices for custom settings are also for JPEG users only. Am I missing something?

Also, flash brightness adjustment is still buried in the menus. It should be accessible with the Q button.

-- hide signature --

Jeff
"Please proceed..."

You are correct ...custom settings and the Q button menu are primarily aimed at the JPEG shooter.  I mostly use the built in flash in the "commander" setting as I have the EF-X20 flash that is a real gem.  It has an exposure compensation dial built in as well as a manual flash adjustment dial.  And it can be slaved off camera as well.  Anyone want to make an offer on my EF-20 flash that is now parked.
---
http://www.michaelperhamphotoblog.com/

Fogsville
Contributing MemberPosts: 567
Like?
In reply to Jeff Charles, Apr 22, 2013

Jeff Charles wrote:

Fogsville wrote:

-- hide signature --

Jeff
"Please proceed..."

That's correct.  But the only thing I find useful with the Q button is to go through the different custom presets.  But that doesn't mean that the presets themselves aren't primarily for jpegs users.  They are.  But it's still the only thing that I find useful with the Q button.  Sorry for the confusion and any assumption that the custom presets are even that worthwhile, either.  But if one does want a quick jpeg for whatever reason and with certain characteristics, then at least one can store the custom setting and be able to go back and forth via the Q button.

What I find kind of puzzling with the X100 series is that while the concept is geared towards advanced users (esp those who come from film rangefinders), the software (plus button choices and menu setup) is more suitable for novices.  And it's as though Fuji is assuming no one edits their files anymore, and that no one prints anymore (granted the X jpegs are quite good.)

I suppose Fuji is trying to get a larger group of people into the 'rangefinder' experience.  But overall it's a quasi-rangefinder camera that requires a certain level of understanding of its limits (e.g., there's a thread here about someone not realizing the parallax issues with the OVF.)  The concept of the X100/X100s is good but it's still kind of flawed in its execution (my opinion only, of course.)

Michael Perham
Like?
In reply to Fogsville, Apr 22, 2013

Your points are well taken.  However, I still think the X100 and X100s make for a good, perhaps the best compact camera for use where a larger DSLR is not convenient and the 35mm equivalent lens suffices, and those circumstances are manifold.

motobloat
Regular MemberPosts: 497
Like?
In reply to Michael Perham, Apr 22, 2013

Michael Perham wrote:

Anyone else feel the same about this?  Perhaps if enough folks did raise the issue we could see the Q button become programmable as was it's predecessor RAW button.

Completely agree.  Hopefully Fuji will fix this with a firmware update.  Should be pretty straightforward, as it wouldn't require any hardware changes.  Heck, they could copy most of the computer code from the "Fn" button.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads