Displaying prints so they can be changed frequently

Started Apr 20, 2013 | Discussions
Birddogman
Senior MemberPosts: 1,102Gear list
Like?
Displaying prints so they can be changed frequently
Apr 20, 2013

I need some suggestions.  I want to create a wall of maybe 10 framed pics in the hall that leads to my home office/library.  Since my printer will only produce 8.5x11" prints, that's the size I am going to use.

I'd like to have some nice looking frames with matting, but I want to be able to easily replace the pics with new ones.  Also, I don't want to spend a fortune.

Any suggestions?  Thanks in advance for your help.

Birddogman's gear list:Birddogman's gear list
Fujifilm X-T1 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 10-24mm F4 R OIS +1 more
jrkliny
Senior MemberPosts: 2,695Gear list
Like?
Re: Displaying prints so they can be changed frequently
In reply to Birddogman, Apr 20, 2013

I shop AC Moore or Michaels.  Both have frequent sales with up to 50% off of the price for frames.  I was able to buy 11x14 inch metal frames for between $3 and $5 each.  I did not use mats.  Instead I just attached the prints onto inexpensive drawing paper.  If you want mats the price will still be reasonable but will be at least twice as much.  When I was working and had an office, I would display about 20 framed prints.  Every couple of weeks I would change out a few of the pictures.  At home I displayed my prints without frames.  I used putty to attach the prints to the kitchen wall.  I changed them out frequently.  I have also considered a very quick display method.  You paint your wall with a special metal paint, then top coat with regular latex.  Prints are help up with rare earth magnets in the shape of push pins.  Of course this will only hold prints.  The magnets would not be able to hold matted prints.

-- hide signature --

Jim, AKA camperjim, formerly from liny, Long Island New York

jrkliny's gear list:jrkliny's gear list
Canon EOS 600D Canon EF 35mm f/2.0 Canon EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM Canon EF-S 15-85mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM Canon EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS +4 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Charles2
Senior MemberPosts: 2,122
Like?
In reply to Birddogman, Apr 20, 2013

I use sign holders sitting on the shelves of a shallow-depth bookshelf. There are acrylic holders and, for nothing in front of the print, simple metal ones something like tiny easel racks.

TonyGamble
Senior MemberPosts: 2,051
Like?
In reply to Charles2, Apr 22, 2013

You might like to try the new (still beta) version of Picture Window Pro.

Version 8 contains a simulated matte and frame routine. Even if you think the frames are not convincing enough you may find the double matte element worth using. It certainly fooled most people who looked at prints, treated that way, at a recent exhibition.

Tony

Charles2
Senior MemberPosts: 2,122
Like?
In reply to TonyGamble, Apr 22, 2013

TonyGamble wrote:

You might like to try the new (still beta) version of Picture Window Pro.

Version 8 contains a simulated matte and frame routine. ...

I've used PWP for years - great program. I have the beta (actually v. 7).

The only thing about printing a matte and frame is that I would want to buy larger sheets of paper!

TonyGamble
Senior MemberPosts: 2,051
Like?
In reply to Charles2, Apr 22, 2013

Charles.

Larger paper. Agreed.

On the other hand the money you save in not having to make/buy mattes will more than compensate.

Yes. It is v 7. My mistake.

Tony

E Dinkla
Contributing MemberPosts: 539
Like?
In reply to Birddogman, Apr 23, 2013

Any suggestions?  Thanks in advance for your help.

Snap frames used in the sign industry. I have a larger one permanently fixed to the wall so I do not have to take it from the wall either. Always straight too. Print with or without a simulated matte (Qimage can do that too), mount on a 600 grams mounting board, cut the total on the Qimage cut marks for the size, Spray with a protective coating if it will hang longer. Put it in the frame glassless so without the ugly PVC sheet that usually comes with the frame. Nothing of the image lost in glass reflections and over short display periods fading will not be an issue.

Just one address picked from the web, there must be good looking ones too:

http://www.sign-holders.co.uk/Snap-frames/c-1-3/

-- hide signature --

Met vriendelijke groet, Ernst
500+ inkjet paper white spectral plots: OBA content etc.
http://www.pigment-print.com/spectralplots/spectrumviz_1.htm

Philnw2
Senior MemberPosts: 1,240Gear list
Like?
In reply to E Dinkla, Apr 23, 2013

One can buy plastic frames, one brand is format, another is Lawrence at BH, Adorama, that have a black plastic tray that you put the picture in it, and then a thin layer of glass pops in on top of it, plastic is sized to hold the glass in place.  No mat.  very quick to replace pictures and it keeps finger prints off them.  some plastic frames require a little trimming on standard sizes.

I've used these cheap frames for 3 years in a theater lobby that i help decorate.  you can get them in 8x10, 8x12, 11x14, 11xq7, etc.

-- hide signature --

Phil B
Nex 5n, Pentax K5, Epson R3000

Philnw2's gear list:Philnw2's gear list
Pentax K-5 Sony Alpha NEX-6 Pentax K-3
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads